• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's first year as a president

Logic dictates there is no reason to "verify" my factual statement. Democracy is majority vote wins, therefor tyranny of the minority. If such simple logic is such a mind blowing concept to some of you, perhaps you should reevaluate your world views...

We can say with that logic that the EC is where the minority wins, therefore tyranny of the majority.

The concept is way too subjective to be considered 'logic'. That can be reliably put into any insane comment and it would work to at least a portion of the population.

BANGS

Banned
We can say with that logic that the EC is where the minority wins, therefore tyranny of the majority.
That's only happened, what like two or three times? Is there something wrong with representing the minority once in awhile? Let them have their few victories, jeez...

And it's not even like last year the president lost the popular vote by a large margin... 64m vs 62m. Compare that to the much larger margin of 30 states vs 20, and you can see why the system is in place...

That's only happened, what like two or three times? Is there something wrong with representing the minority once in awhile? Let them have their few victories, jeez...

And it's not even like last year the president lost the popular vote by a large margin... 64m vs 62m. Compare that to the much larger margin of 30 states vs 20, and you can see why the system is in place...

So states are more important than the people living in them.

David___

Banned
I'm sure Republicans that live in New York or California totally love the fact that their votes are borderline meaningless since they live in a blue state BANGS BANGS . Getting rid of the EC means making everyone's vote more meaningful. There's nothing wrong with it

Last edited:

Monocle

A national embarassment. A disaster. He's already set us back a decade in terms of foreign relations, to say nothing of his retrograde appointments, anti-science crusade, and propaganda war against the free press.

His petty reversal of even the most minor or objectively beneficial Obama policies says quite a lot about his character. He is literally the worst qualified president in the history of the nation, and every day he finds new ways to prove it.

Last edited:

Palantir

Banned
Overall, I give him a C+. I don't like how he presents himself to the world. It's embarrassing, and I feel it diminishes our stature. I also wish he'd stop tweeting in such a childish manner.
However, in terms of actual policy progress, I'm pretty happy. He's working to save DACA, while simultaneously moving forward with the wall. The tax act was, overall, a good improvement and will help my family a decent amount. I'm impressed with his judicial appointments and progress in evening out the left-leaning imbalance with lower court judges. Excited to see what 2018 brings!

BANGS

Banned
Getting rid of the EC means making everyone's vote more meaningful.
That can actually be a huge problem. I'm not gonna pretend our current system is perfect, it's full of flaws. But making everyone's vote count exactly the same could be disastrous. Could be great as well, but it's more prone to abuse IMO. This is how you end up with Pewdiepie as president, metaphorically speaking...

That can actually be a huge problem. I'm not gonna pretend our current system is perfect, it's full of flaws. But making everyone's vote count exactly the same could be disastrous. Could be great as well, but it's more prone to abuse IMO. This is how you end up with Pewdiepie as president, metaphorically speaking...

We already have Pewdiepie as a metaphorical president. A racist rapist apologist who doesn't know anything and is popular with people who don't know anything.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
We already have Pewdiepie as a metaphorical president. A racist rapist apologist who doesn't know anything and is popular with people don't don't know anything.
And this is exactly why people like you should have their vote count less...

rokkerkory

Issa who is a GOP congressman in Cali just announced he is retiring. Yet another GOP congressman who is bowing out early ahead of primaries later this year.

Ah, it all makes sense now...
You do realize you just contradicted yourself by saying it's a good thing that some states votes count for more but then called me an idiot for living in one of those low population states.
XkXupKi.png

It's almost like you're arguing in bad faith and not actually doing anything but concern trolling for a fascist idiot.

Last edited:
Supporting the way our government works is unpatriotic now... Or did you read that out of context?

I read that as "Your vote should be worth less than others". Last time we did that we had slave owners demanding their slaves get 3/5 votes to push their own agenda.

"Supporting how a government works" is a poor way to show patriotism as well if it doesn't function as intended. We are still trying to shoehorn policies of old into a modern day society.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm a bit late to the party here but ...

As a national figurehead; internationally he has been dire, he has managed in 12 months to fray relationships with, among others, Australia, the EU, Germany, the UK, North Korea, South Korea, China, the UN, the UN Security Council, Sweden, Iran, Japan, Mexico … - pretty well everybody except Russia and the Philippines and perhaps four or five others; domestically he has been flagrantly divisive (e.g. Charlottesville, Puerto Rico) and unsupportive of the constitutional norms (e.g. Fake News, railing against federal judiciary).

As leader of the Executive branch he has managed to gratuitously piss off the CIA, the FBI, the State Department, the Military, the Coastguard, and has presided over a revolving carousel of White House personnel. His Travel Ban was rushed, illegal, unconstitutional (at the very least as regards permanent residents) and is still being challenged in court, and he continually misrepresents the already existing vetting procedures. He set up, then disbanded, the electoral integrity commission – apparently because it would not stand up to scrutiny.

Legislatively he failed utterly to repeal and replace ObamaCare with something that would provide better and cheaper coverage for everyone, and indeed failed to get anything much passed at all. He has failed so far to get funding for a Wall from Mexico, or indeed from anyone else. The Tax bill that was passed was a last minute cobbled together clusterfuck of exemptions which does little to simplify the admittedly overcomplex US tax system and that unduly favours himself and people like him.
He has nominated clearly unqualified people to important posts, he has broken (I think) every single measure that he held Obama up to. He doesn’t play ball, instead he steals your ball then asks you for payment to return it (e.g. DACA).

Now to be fair, I’m not American, and I’m not in the USA, so this might be a bit slanted. But over this side of the Atlantic I count myself a Conservative, and I find the Trump presidency so far really alarming. The only mitigating factor is that he is apparently so incompetent and so easily led that the impact is less bad than it could be.

Also - good to see Judge William Alsup in the news over the DACA continuation. If you guys remember, he's the judge that took down Tim Langdell all those years ago.

Mahadev

He has been the complete and utter embarrassment I expected him to be and the kick in the nuts the corrupt neoliberal political system needs.

If the corrupt scumbags from both parties continue this way things will get even worse. In fact I'd say we're lucky we got him and not an intelligent authortarian and charismatic politician because he would know how to manipulate both the system and the desperate population to make matter far worse for us. You see Trump is just a symptom and if we don't fix the disease the next symptom might destroy this country.

Honestly, I can't even bother with him because I have to look at the big picture here. Hate, divisive identity politics, extremism and violence which were prevalent in 2017 are all result of a crumbling society. Managing the destructive results of neoliberalism (or late stage capitalism, call it however you want) like Obama and Democrats do is obviously not doing jack shit, in fact I would argue they're helping neoliberalism by temporarily sweeping the problems under the rag. Either we'll start kicking bought politicians out of Congress and the administration or the country is fucked.

appaws

Banned
So states are more important than the people living in them.

In the minds of the framers, yep.

Overall, I give him a C+. I don't like how he presents himself to the world. It's embarrassing, and I feel it diminishes our stature. I also wish he'd stop tweeting in such a childish manner.
However, in terms of actual policy progress, I'm pretty happy. He's working to save DACA, while simultaneously moving forward with the wall. The tax act was, overall, a good improvement and will help my family a decent amount. I'm impressed with his judicial appointments and progress in evening out the left-leaning imbalance with lower court judges. Excited to see what 2018 brings!

I think he has turned out to be a pretty standard GOP president, who shoots his mouth off too much. I agree with you on judges, he has done a great job. Pretty much by listening to the Federalist Society on who to name, which is working well at uniting the support of the GOP in congress.

rokkerkory

31 GOP congressmen / congresswomen are either retiring or moving on from post. Mass exodus is happening because they know Trump is damaging to their chances.

Five, actually. You can't really count the first though because a number of states didn't conduct a popular vote. The next two had various chicanery going on and the EC outcome was probably for the best. The fourth was an incredibly close race in national popular vote. And the latest was where one party ran the one person in America that could possibly lose to Donald F. Trump.

I'm sure Republicans that live in New York or California totally love the fact that their votes are borderline meaningless since they live in a blue state BANGS BANGS . Getting rid of the EC means making everyone's vote more meaningful. There's nothing wrong with it
Actually... keeping the EC makes everyone's vote more powerful. It's mathematically proven.

rokkerkory

Trump validates his racist tendancies tonight folks calling immigrants coming from ‘shithole’ countries. I am his supporters will denounce these remarks.

Dizagaox

The US president is a joke. It's revolting people voted for him, on the same level as the rise of Nazism in Germany. They thought they were "Make Deutschland Great Again" too. Vile.

FStubbs

I'm sure the Trump supporters on this board will give us the conservative viewpoint as to why those comments are correct, the right time to say it, etc.

rokkerkory

I'm sure the Trump supporters on this board will give us the conservative viewpoint as to why those comments are correct, the right time to say it, etc.

I am sure they will rationalize it somehow. Right now they are scrambling to come up with that narrative.

I am sure they will rationalize it somehow. Right now they are scrambling to come up with that narrative.

I don't like Trump at all but...i mean how can it be racist to say that?

There are countries in Asia and eastern Europe that fit the bill of being shit holes...same with Russia

Like, my mum is from Thailand and has said numerous times its a shit hole(with SOME nice parts)....is she suddenly a self hating racist?

I am starting to think Trump derangement syndrome is real

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Trump validates his racist tendancies tonight folks calling immigrants coming from ‘shithole’ countries. I am his supporters will denounce these remarks.
I mean it's stupid of him to say such things, and I really wish that idiot would just keep his mouth shut sometimes, but there is nothing remotely racist about that. "Shithole countries" isn't a race... and we can all agree there are shithole countries that immigrants come from. Don't deny reality just to be contrarian...

Damerman

Bro what world are you living in? The tax bill isnt gonna do shit for you! If anything, any tax you get to keep is going to pay for ur rising health insurance premiums. Trump supporters, its a wrap. Jump ship now, or forever be associated with supporting the greatest american failure.

Damerman

I mean it's stupid of him to say such things, and I really wish that idiot would just keep his mouth shut sometimes, but there is nothing remotely racist about that. "Shithole countries" isn't a race... and we can all agree there are shithole countries that immigrants come from. Don't deny reality just to be contrarian...
Ahhh yes... deny immigration to people who come from shithole countries(dog whistle for countries with POC) and in the same sentence show affection for immigrants from one of the best countries in the world(predominantly white). Thats not racist at all.

Do you fucking read what u post?

BANGS

Banned
Ahhh yes... deny immigration to people who come from shithole countries(dog whistle for countries with POC) and in the same sentence show affection for immigrants from one of the best countries in the world(predominantly white). Thats not racist at all.

Do you fucking read what u post?
Ummmm... yeah I read what I posted, and it had nothing to do with your crazy SJW translation...

Shithole countries means shithole countries, has nothing to do with race. There are plenty of white European shithole countries. Also who said anything about denying immigration from shithole countries? I never mentioned any support of that. Please try to read my messages without already deciding I'm a racist beforehand, thanks...

Razorback

Ummmm... yeah I read what I posted, and it had nothing to do with your crazy SJW translation...

Shithole countries means shithole countries, has nothing to do with race. There are plenty of white European shithole countries. Also who said anything about denying immigration from shithole countries? I never mentioned any support of that. Please try to read my messages without already deciding I'm a racist beforehand, thanks...

We don't even have to bring race into the discussion. What he said is disgraceful. The most powerful man in the world punching down on some of the most unprivileged people in the world. He is human garbage.

BANGS

Banned
We don't even have to bring race into the discussion. What he said is disgraceful. The most powerful man in the world punching down on some of the most unprivileged people in the world. He is human garbage.
I never denied that... I actually said it was stupid of him to say. I just said it wasn't racist like another user claimed...

lil puff

It would have been better if he had added some other (non brown) countries to his shithole list. That would have actually made his point at least easier to defend, for those who defend him.

It's arguable whether it's racist, that will depend on your perspective.

Damerman

It would have been better if he had added some other (non brown) countries to his shithole list. That would have actually made his point at least easier to defend, for those who defend him.

It's arguable whether it's racist, that will depend on your perspective.
Depends on perspective? How?!

Smh, this shit is unequivocally racist. I can’t belive what im reading right now.

What he said was racist, but we already know that Trump is a super old racist. Internationally this one again makes the US look like shit.

Smh, this shit is unequivocally racist. I can’t belive what im reading right now.

I'm sorry but can you please explain why it's racist? Is it racist because Trump himself is (probably) racist or is the act of calling another country a shit hole racist?

I mean if we are retconning this word to be racist HUGE amounts of people will now suddenly become racists.... my owm mum included lol

Razorback

I'm sorry but can you please explain why it's racist? Is it racist because Trump himself is (probably) racist or is the act of calling another country a shit hole racist?

I mean if we are retconning this word to be racist HUGE amounts of people will now suddenly become racists.... my owm mum included lol

Not wanting to take in immigrants from those shithole places kind of implies the people themselves are shit. Particularly after offering the alternative of bringing people in from Norway.

Last edited:

lil puff

I'm trying to give the benefit of doubt, I know it's a stretch!

But if the argument was the economic argument or the other gymnastic excuses I heard (for which I do not agree)- from that perspective, they may argue that this is just the way Trump speaks, but he means something else.

rokkerkory

Oh sure, but wanting immigrants only from countries such as Norway shows no racism at all. You defending this makes you look really sad.

lil puff

I question why anyone would give the benefit of a doubt to someone that has a clear history of being racist
The benefit is to those who attempt to make an argument that what he said was not inherently racist. This is because I do not like to throw around the word just because someone disagrees with me. It is possible that they are looking at this from a completely different context/perspective than myself.

BANGS

Banned
"Racially insensitive" and "racist" are two completely different things. I understand that the strategy in recent years has been to change the meaning of the word racism so you can casually throw it around discrediting anyone who agrees with you, but people of intellect still know the difference...

Oh sure, but wanting immigrants only from countries such as Norway shows no racism at all. You defending this makes you look really sad.
Norway is not a race. It's a country. It's a culture. It's not a skin color. Stop seeing people as nothing more than walking statistics and be a fucking human.

I'd rather take in immigrants from India than Serbia any day. Doesn't that make me racist against white people of Serbia? No. It just means one is a nation with a rich culture of great people, and one is shithole country...

David___

Banned
The benefit is to those who attempt to make an argument that what he said was not inherently racist. This is because I do not like to throw around the word just because someone disagrees with me. It is possible that they are looking at this from a completely different context/perspective than myself.
I mean they can try, but at that point they're trying to argue the color gray is totally different from the color gray, at which point you gotta wonder why they want to get away from the color gray so much.

Top Bottom