• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's first year as a president

rokkerkory

"Racially insensitive" and "racist" are two completely different things. I understand that the strategy in recent years has been to change the meaning of the word racism so you can casually throw it around discrediting anyone who agrees with you, but people of intellect still know the difference...

Norway is not a race. It's a country. It's a culture. It's not a skin color. Stop seeing people as nothing more than walking statistics and be a fucking human.

I'd rather take in immigrants from India than Serbia any day. Doesn't that make me racist against white people of Serbia? No. It just means one is a nation with a rich culture of great people, and one is shithole country...

I am sure trump will mark these countries with a ‘C’ just like he did for the folks that wanted to rent his apartments. In your logic of looking at people as people, ‘C’ probably stands for COOL.

A fat rich dumb guy who think he's smarter than he actually is..I regularly read Trump supporters forums to get an inside look and it blows my mind how just about eerything he does is hailed as brilliant, granted now and again you will have some guy who goes against the grain and express a shadow of a doubt only to be shouted down by the others..kinda remind me of here actually just on the other end of the extreme.

A career intelligence analyst who is an expert in hostage policy stood before President Donald Trump in the Oval Office last fall to brief him on the impending release of a family long held in Pakistan under uncertain circumstances.

It was her first time meeting the president, and when she was done briefing, he had a question for her.

"Where are you from?" the president asked, according to two officials with direct knowledge of the exchange.

New York, she replied.

Trump was unsatisfied and asked again, the officials said. Referring to the president's hometown, she offered that she, too, was from Manhattan. But that's not what the president was after.

He wanted to know where "your people" are from, according to the officials, who spoke off the record due to the nature of the internal discussions.

After the analyst revealed that her parents are Korean, Trump turned to an adviser in the room and seemed to suggest her ethnicity should determine her career path, asking why the "pretty Korean lady" isn't negotiating with North Korea on his administration's behalf, the officials said.

The officials who told NBC News of the fall exchange between Trump and the intelligence briefer in the Oval Office in the fall said the president likely meant no harm with his inquiry, but it raised concern of a lack of cultural sensitivity and decorum.

At a March meeting with members of the Congressional Black Caucus, Trump asked the elected officials if they knew just one member of his incoming cabinet — Ben Carson — according to two people in the room.

Carson, the only black member of Trump's Cabinet, had never served in Congress and spent his career as a surgeon. None of the lawmakers knew Carson, and Trump found that surprising, the attendees said.

During that same meeting, a member relayed to Trump that potential welfare cuts would harm her constituents, "not all of whom are black." The president replied, "Really? Then what are they?"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-s-history-breaking-decorum-remarks-race-ethnicity-n837181

Last edited by a moderator:
A fat rich dumb guy who think he's smarter than he actually is..I regularly read Trump supporters forums to get an inside look and it blows my mind how just about eerything he does is hailed as brilliant, granted now and again you will have some guy who goes against the grain and express a shadow of a doubt only to be shouted down by the others..kinda remind me of here actually just on the other end of the extreme.

Yeah I have made the mistake of reading /pol/ .....some seriously deluded people there supporting him no matter what

Kadayi

Banned
I'm seeing all of this furore over 'shithole' countries? Is there actually any evidence of this being said or is it just more anonymous sources being taken as fact? I think Trump is all sorts of off the wall, but I'd like to think that people are nailing him down for actual things that happened and not on the basis of hearsay. It's a bad look for democracy if the press go down that route in the believability stakes, and it sets a bad precedent that becomes the new normal.

Last edited:

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm seeing all of this furore over 'shithole' countries? Is there actually any evidence of this being said or is it just more anonymous sources being taken as fact? I think Trump is all sorts of off the wall, but I'd like to think that people are nailing him down for actual things that happened and not on the basis of unsubstantiated smear campaigns. It's a bad look for democracy if the press go down that route in the believability stakes, and it sets a bad precedent that becomes the new normal.

Senator Durbin (D) directly and Senator Flake (R) indirectly. Both present at the meeting. EDIT, Flake wasn't.

Last edited:

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Kadayi

Banned
Not exactly "unsubstantiated smear campaign" when you've got two named senators as sources. I've edited my previous post though, as you're right that Flake wasn't present.

I simply questioned whether it was anonymous sources as I couldn't initially find any source, just lots of chest beating outrage reaction from various global luminaries (where does Ja Rule stand on this?) I searched for the names you mentioned and The Hill article was one of the first hits that came up, and based on that it doesn't look like either of those two are exactly reliable by any measure.

I thought based on the outrage it was going to be a recorded conversation or one of Trump's infamous tweets not a couple of politicians with axes to grind. Don't get me wrong, it may well have happened, but as a someone who undertook media studies and has marvelled at the insane levels of disinformation and false narratives that have plagued global mainstream news media for the last couple of decades I'm hesitant to give too much credence to what appear to amount to little more than a case of hearsay and its rather troubling that innumerable public figures are just taking it as a given.

For the record I'm not a Republican, in fact, I'm not even an American. I'm one of those filthy Eurolanders living under the joy of Theresa May (/s). I just find the whole carousel of media coverage of Trump fascinating in a slow car crash way. I think he's all sorts of wrong, but the manner in which the media has been out to get him from day one is so much desperate straw grasping at times, it's inherently damaging to the integrity and trust people put into such news institutions and the normalization of these sort of flimsy character attacks is a troubling sign for the future of journalism and it's hard to see how if at all, going forward this behaviour can ever be walked back and trust be re-established. We are past the Rubicon.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
I'm seeing all of this furore over 'shithole' countries? Is there actually any evidence of this being said or is it just more anonymous sources being taken as fact? I think Trump is all sorts of off the wall, but I'd like to think that people are nailing him down for actual things that happened and not on the basis of unsubstantiated smear campaigns. It's a bad look for democracy if the press go down that route in the believability stakes, and it sets a bad precedent that becomes the new normal.

Knowing what we know about the media, and Trump, I'd bet there is truth to both, but it is all extremely overblown.

Firstly don't ever put words in my mouth, it's exceptionally bad form. Secondly I simply questioned whether it was anonymous sources as I couldn't initially find any source, just lots of chest beating outrage reaction from various global luminaries (where does Ja Rule stand on this?) I searched for the names you mentioned and The Hill article was one of the first hits that came up, and based on that it doesn't look like either of those two are exactly reliable by any measure.

I thought based on the outrage it was going to be a recorded conversation or one of Trump's infamous tweets not a couple of politicians with axes to grind. Don't get me wrong, it may well have happened, but as a someone who undertook media studies and has marvelled at the insane levels of disinformation and false narratives that have plagued global mainstream news media for the last couple of decades I'm hesitant to give too much credence to what appear to amount to little more than a case of hearsay and its rather troubling that innumerable public figures are just taking it as a given.

For the record I'm not a Republican, in fact, I'm not even an American. I'm one of those filthy Eurolanders living under the joy of Theresa May (/s). I just find the whole carousel of media coverage of Trump fascinating in a slow car crash way. I think he's all sorts of wrong, but the manner in which the media has been out to get him from day one is so much desperate straw grasping at times, it's inherently damaging to the integrity and trust people put into such news institutions and the normalization of these sort of flimsy character attacks is a troubling sign for the future of journalism and it's hard to see how if at all, going forward this behaviour can ever be walked back and trust be re-established. We are past the Rubicon.

Trump is perfectly apt to victim blame.

FStubbs

I can hear Fox News already trying to find a way to blame this on Hillary.

Oh yeah, Fox News is basically running the white house now.

Former Bush speechwriter David Frum said:
"Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us, and now we are discovering we work for Fox"

Edit: Both sides of what Frum said are dangerous, mind you.

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Dems should not do any type of deal with clean DACA bill. They should force government shut down as well, people will blame the GOP since they own all 3 branches of the government at this point.

David___

Banned
Dems should not do any type of deal with clean DACA bill. They should force government shut down as well, people will blame the GOP since they own all 3 branches of the government at this point.
GOP and Fox News have their propaganda game on point. I wouldn't be surprised if they successfully blame it on Hillary since their base eats anything they give

Swass

Considering every democrat I know thought Trump would tank the economy I'd say the DJIA having the strongest year in years is a huge success.

It's so disingenuous to credit Obama for a strong economy in December of 2017 when you would have happily blamed Trump if it was in the gutter.

fTcNQz6.png

I'm not happy he's the president, but he has had success and he's not literally Hitler.
People place far too much emphasis on the stock market and what it means for the economy and the average citizen. All the stock market doing well means is rich people are doing well since 80% of stocks are owned by the elite. If we look to the middle class and poor, we see wages have stagnated and credit card debt is at an all time high. People are working more hours just to keep their heads above water. Let Trump take credit for the market.. because he is also going to eat it when it crashes.. and a crash is coming.. right now the elite 1% is making 24% of the nations income.. everytime the number gets that high we have a huge crash.. buckle up!

It's also funny that people assume when a crash was predicted under Trump that somehow meant it would happen the day he took office. His economic policy is only now going into effect and the tax bill is like putting gas on the fire.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
All the stock market doing well means is rich people are doing well since 80% of stocks are owned by the elite.
Actually, it means that businesses are doing well. Businesses doing well means more jobs and higher paying jobs for the middle class...

Swass

Actually, it means that businesses are doing well. Businesses doing well means more jobs and higher paying jobs for the middle class...
Businesses doing well does not translate to jobs and higher pay.. this has been debunked over and over again.. money does not trickle down.. never has never will.

Businesses doing well does not translate to jobs and higher pay.. this has been debunked over and over again.. money does not trickle down.. never has never will.
Businesses are just like regular people. The more money they have the more money they're willing to spend.

Put it this way, based on their leadership and management tendencies and skills in the office, which president would you want to work for if he was your boss, Obama or Trump? This simple question will identify your true alignment.

Swass

Businesses are just like regular people. The more money they have the more money they're willing to spend.
No they are nothing alike.. businesses get more greedy the more money they get.. excess money goes to corporate management and shareholders not to the peons or to make the products and/or services cheaper.

Put it this way, based on their leadership and management tendencies and skills in the office, which president would you want to work for if he was your boss, Obama or Trump? This simple question will identify your true alignment.
I'd like to work for Bernie as he makes it seem like he would care about everyone from the top to the bottom.. with emphasis on the bottom because he knowx without them they won't be successful.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Trickle down economics via tax breaks is a totally different concept than businesses doing well as shown via the stock market. The former is just giving the guys at the top more money, the latter mean the business is doing more business and bigger business and that requires more humans and more qualified humans to do that actual business...

But please tell me more about how either of these situations has been "debunked"
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/wal...wage-give-employees-bonus-after-tax-bill.html

Last edited:

Swass

Trickle down economics via tax breaks is a totally different concept than businesses doing well as shown via the stock market. The former is just giving the guys at the top more money, the latter mean the business is doing more business and bigger business and that requires more humans and more qualified humans to do that actual business...

But please tell me more about how either of these situations has been "debunked"
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/wal...wage-give-employees-bonus-after-tax-bill.html
You do know that walmart closed 65 Sams club locations hours after that was announced right? Is that something that should be happening in a climate where corporations are making record profits and that's before they're seen the advantage of the tax breaks? And giving corporations more money via tax breaks so they "do well" is the very definition of trickle down economics. Clearly you need to educate yourself further if you aren't aware of what the concept is and that it is nothing more than a fallacy.

Last edited:

Wal-Mart laid off 11,000 employees with that announcement, also most people got $200 dollar bonuses. If you were there for 20 years you can get $1,000.

These breaks and windfalls mostly gave big corporations more capability to acquire companies, other than that demand drives growth, so they're hoping that middleclass breaks will drive demand.

BANGS

Banned
You guys do realize that closing stores means they weren't good locations, and firing employees means their work wasn't needed? Those two events have nothing to do with extra tax money, those are completely independent business decisions. Those employees and stores weren't performing as needed, throwing extra tax money won't make them magically profitable. Having extra tax money does mean sharing it with your employees though, which is the example I brought up of good trickle down economics.

Stay focused guys lol

Tax breaks allow you to not only share with your employees, but more importantly allow you to grow and take risks by having more cash in pocket. Please take a business class in college, if they still offer those anymore...

SpartanN92

Banned
Trickle Down economics is a false term, a perjorative of “Supply side economics” and has been used by the left to mischaracterize supply side economics for their own benefit.

On a side note I was paid a considerable bonus by my company this Christmas in anticipation of retained earnings laws changing in 2018. Thank you Trump!

You guys do realize that closing stores means they weren't good locations, and firing employees means their work wasn't needed? Those two events have nothing to do with extra tax money, those are completely independent business decisions. Those employees and stores weren't performing as needed, throwing extra tax money won't make them magically profitable. Having extra tax money does mean sharing it with your employees though, which is the example I brought up of good trickle down economics.

Stay focused guys lol

Tax breaks allow you to not only share with your employees, but more importantly allow you to grow and take risks by having more cash in pocket. Please take a business class in college, if they still offer those anymore...

It is not a result of trickle down economics. This whole thing is an ongoing strategic move that was made easier to swallow and publicize. Wal-Mart raised its minumum wage to $10 last year. The company is rolling, it sees growth (mostly online), and will continue to increase its investment in employees as a strategic move against amazon whose acquiring stores. Wal-Mart over the last few years has been moving towards employee retention.

Swass

Stay focused guys lol

I can't speak on all the location closed, but the Sams club that is closing here in Arizona on Chandler and Arizona Ave is a great location and always busy.. The 2 events happened within hours of each other, but without being in walmart corporate we are both speculating on whether the 2 events coincided with each other or not.

Corporations have been making record profits for a few years now.. they already had the money to grow and take risks yet wages have stagnated and companies are downsizing and closing..

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
The 2 events happened within hours of each other, but without being in walmart corporate we are both speculating on whether the 2 events coincided with each other or not.
You're right that we cannot know, but I seems incredibly unlikely that a corporate entity would shut down a location that brings in profit just to spend more money on raises? Doesn't make sense no matter what kinda voodoo math you use...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I simply questioned whether it was anonymous sources as I couldn't initially find any source, just lots of chest beating outrage reaction from various global luminaries (where does Ja Rule stand on this?) I searched for the names you mentioned and The Hill article was one of the first hits that came up, and based on that it doesn't look like either of those two are exactly reliable by any measure.

These "flimsy character attacks" have been a feature of politics for a long time. Hundreds of years. I've just been reading a biography of Rachel Beer, who edited the Sunday Times and the Observer in the 1890s and it was not much different then. Remember the scandal over Obama ordering Dijon Mustard?

The difference now is not, mostly, the press. It is that the Trump administration gives them daily/almost hourly fodder because it is so reekingly carcrashingly awful.

Regarding this particular shithole, it is I think instructive that (a) it has been explicitly reported by one Dem senator (b) explicitly confirmed by one (admittedly absent) Rep senator (c) explicitly not-recalled (but not denied) by other senators and admin staff present, and (d) the only rebuttal that the White House can come up with is that he said shithouse rather than shithole and that Haiti may or may not have been included.

From that there are conclusions to be reasonably drawn.

Plus, regarding the Rubicon, that was crossed in 1996 when Fox News came into being.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
You're right that we cannot know, but I seems incredibly unlikely that a corporate entity would shut down a location that brings in profit just to spend more money on raises? Doesn't make sense no matter what kinda voodoo math you use...

Long way back I spent some time doing big-corporate thuggery professionally. Ideally if you are going to shut something down you do it before it goes into loss - for three reasons (1) after it has gone into loss is too late (2) before it goes into loss you have more time to maneuver (3) in terms of balancing the books you trade off the cost of shutting it down against the current years profits, then it doesn't come out as an extraordinary item in the accounts.

And because you have time to move things around, you tie in in with good news for someone (customers, shareholders, public, staff, not necessarily in that order).

You don't do it just to spend money on raises. But if you are going to shut a bunch of stuff and there's a government-sponsored way of raising wages at no really extra cost, then that's when you do it.

Kadayi

Banned
Plus, regarding the Rubicon, that was crossed in 1996 when Fox News came into being.
Is inherent bias in news reporting? Sure, that is part and parcel of any news organisation. You employ likeminded people which naturally generates an internal perspective whether it is explicit (as in Fox News or say the Guardian) or implicit (more BBC) but simply because that may be the case, doesn't necessarily mean that checks and balances should go out of the window. Social media is also having a huge impact on peoples perceptions as well because the algorithms and filtering that underlie things feed you more of what you appear to want, which ultimately generates a political echo chamber of group-think. Increasingly people can't see the wood for the trees, which is not a good thing (If Clinton has fewer cheerleaders around her, she might have been more inclined to take the fight to Trump in the states that mattered, rather than sit on her laurels).

I think it's pretty telling that you've already bought into what amounts to little more than an accusation as a fact, even though there are other people who were in attendance who don't agree with that person's statement. You're already committed to it being the truth, because it ultimately aligns with your opinion on Trump, even if it may, in reality, be a complete fabrication (short of a tape appearing we'll never truly know). Reality is less about what happened versus peoples perception of what they hoped happened, and the narratives they build around them.

Last edited:

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I think it's pretty telling that you've already bought into what amounts to little more than an accusation as a fact, even though there are other people who were in attendance who don't agree with that person's statement. You're already committed to it being the truth, because it ultimately aligns with your opinion on Trump,

No. What I have done is assess the evidence. What you've got is a clear, specific, detailed allegation on one side against blanket denials on the other. Of course each side has political gains to make or losses to avert, but in general a blanket denial is unconvincing.

Consider how you might respond to the accusation "you killed Dr Black with the candlestick in the scullery":

a) actually I didn't. I was at the time chatting with Miss Scarlet in the billiard room.

b) that's false, #fakenews

The latter is unconvincing and poor evidence because it does not offer any alternative facts. In this case we have nobody offering a version of what Trump said that is at odds with the allegation (bar the really odd claim that he said shithouse rather than shithole, which is scarcely material and rather telling wouldn't you think?) but instead a bluster of blanket denials and claimed loss of memory. If Trump said something different it would be the simplest thing in the world to say what it was that he actually did say. But they're not doing that, and the only credible reason for them not doing that is that the allegation is true - which means they would all have to collude to get the same story out, which they dare not do for fear someone breaks ranks. Therefore, to a high probability, Trump said what he is accused of saying.

I didn't do all the legal training for nothing.

So they predicted those stores would be a loss in the near future and shut them down... I still fail to see how this is a problem...

This might be some of the reason, can't take it all at face value though.

Sam’s Club CEO John Furner said the locations were affecting other stores, likely referring to cannibalization of customers, and that populations did not grow as the company had hoped in certain areas. However, even with these locations in tow, Sam’s Club postedpositive year-over-year (YoY) growth in net sales, traffic, and operating income through Q3 of its fiscal 2018 (ended October 27, 2017).

Between 10 and 12 of the closed locations will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers. These new centers will help Sam’s Club build out its e-commerce capabilities by giving it a wider fulfillment network, potentially helping it get online orders delivered to customers faster. Sam’s Club stores are, on average, 136,000 square feet, so the converted locations will be sizable, but still much smaller than many existing Walmart and Sam’s Club distribution centers.

Increasing its commitment to e-commerce may help Sam’s Club compete with wholesale rivals. E-commerce is becoming more of a focus in wholesale retail, and if Sam’s Club doesn’t invest in it, the company may get left behind. Costco is a major competitor to Sam’s Club, and in its most recently reported quarter, its e-commerce comparable sales jumped nearly 44% YoY. Additionally, Boxed, an e-commerce only wholesale startup, is starting to establish itself. Sam's Club's e-commerce gross merchandise value (GMV), on the other hand, has been between 20% and 29% YoY in recent quarters, Sam's Club told Business Insider Intelligence. These new fulfillment centers may help the company strengthen this growth, as it looks to better compete in wholesale online.

Additionally, turning physical stores into distribution centers is a way for Walmart to leverage its brick-and-mortar network. Walmart has a virtually unmatched brick-and-mortar network — its CEO has estimated that it has a brick-and-mortar location within 10 miles of 90% of the US population. The retailer has made efforts to entice consumers to pickup online orders in-store, but turning underperforming stores into full-blown e-commerce distribution centers as Sam’s Club is doing is another way to take advantage of its proximity to its consumers. If Walmart, and Sam’s Club, hope to thrive online, they’ll need to offer fast delivery times to rival Amazon, and having e-commerce distribution centers close to customers should help with that.[\quote]

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-walmart-is-closing-63-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Underperforming and cannibalization may not mean not profitable, but satisfactory to reduce company overhead (not making enough profit to be valuable), repurpose for a different strategy, or much more.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So they predicted those stores would be a loss in the near future and shut them down... I still fail to see how this is a problem...

I don't think it is a problem. I just don't think that it is related - other than by timing - to the wage rises.

Ke0

If this were true then US wages wouldn't have stagnated since the 70s/80s but rather would keep up with productivity no?

BANGS

Banned
I don't think it is a problem. I just don't think that it is related - other than by timing - to the wage rises.
That... that was exactly the point I was making from the start lol

You guys do realize that closing stores means they weren't good locations, and firing employees means their work wasn't needed? Those two events have nothing to do with extra tax money, those are completely independent business decisions.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
If this were true then US wages wouldn't have stagnated since the 70s/80s but rather would keep up with productivity no?
Wages are but one measure. Wages have not kept up with inflation, but standards of living in general have skyrocketed since the then. People have larger homes, more quality clothing, mindblowing technology, etc. Even the poorest americans are walking around with iphones. This is the effect of businesses doing better as well. Wages are just one effect...

Wages are but one measure. Wages have not kept up with inflation, but standards of living in general have skyrocketed since the then. People have larger homes, more quality clothing, mindblowing technology, etc. Even the poorest americans are walking around with iphones. This is the effect of businesses doing better as well. Wages are just one effect...

Ugh dude, the gains have mostly been going to the top. That's just the fact of the matter. There's more money than ever, and the gaps are wider than ever.

Americans walking around with iphones is the result of business strategy, globalization, cost reduction etc, but you don't substitute it for wages. You speak about them differently.

BANGS

Banned
Ugh dude, the gains have mostly been going to the top. That's just the fact of the matter. There's more money than ever, and the gaps are wider than ever.
I never denied that nor implied it wasn't the case... We have hard data to prove it...

Are you implying that this somehow disproves my point that businesses doing better helps the average American? Because it doesn't...

Last edited:

Mahadev

You are confusing technological progress with facts about poverty, inequality and stolen wages. No shit that poor AND rich people are better off than they were 100 years ago, that's what progress does. But the fact also is that the vast majority of the productivity gains thanks to that progress have been stolen by the rich while the poor continue to get screwed more and more, bankruptcies have become normal and the social safety net has almost completely eroded thanks to disgusting neoliberal polices the last few decades from both parties that are bought and paid for by the rich.

Last edited:
Top Bottom