• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Try to explain to me WoW vanilla

AXE

No one can be told what the vanilla wow was - you had to be there yourself. It was a very special moment in the annals of gaming.

Strimei

omfg i remember having to actually make ammo for hunters

ajslkfjasf;ljasf i cant believe they thought that was good

God I'm glad that got removed. And pet happiness. I know some people complained about it but seriously what hunter ever let a pet linger in yellow, let alone red? As soon as it went down for a second, you just shoved a few cooked chickens or something down its gullet and then it was back to green.

Loxley

Yeah it wasn't just the attitudes of the playerbase. The tier sets you got in raids said hybrid classes heal and Warriors tank. You didn't get a choice.

One time as my Paladin I spec'd Protection for shits and giggles but didn't tell my guild since I knew they'd get annoyed and wouldn't allow me to join that week's raid in Molten Core. Fast forward to the raid, and just my luck, I was assigned to heal the main tank on a few of the bosses. Panicking, I whispered one of our priests, who was super nice, and asked her if she could occasionally toss the tank a HOT because otherwise i would have been screwed XD Thankfully she thought it was hilarious and agreed. Totally saved my ass.

I have so many fond memories of this game. My guild was Veritas and we had a rival horde guild Vertas. I would spam root their warrior named Ugg and get ganked by this rouge named Novien. I was the first on the server to get a staff of dominance from Molten Core. I told my real life friends i couldnt hang out because of molten core runs. My guild leader was a preist named Towlie. I mattered.

Thoraxes

These are my experiences anyways: Vanilla really felt like a MMO where your online relationships with others and the guilds you formed heavily influenced your experience. For my guild anyways, it really felt like having an online family or group of friends where we relied on each other, and talked to each other like best pals.

It was great having a community to do dungeons with, where you actually had to extend the offer out and talk to people as you would in real life in order to get groups going. This was before the gearscore addons were widespread, and before you could even see item levels in game. Like, instead of logging on to grind dailies and just queuing, then AFKing while you wait in a queue, you'd actually have to interact with people and not be a shitty person if you wanted to get into dungeon and raid groups. Having the 40-man configuration was amazing, and something i'll likely never get to be a part of again. A definite time and place kind of experience many will never get to have.

In general, I just felt more involved with my server and guild, even when we shit-talk horde/alliance stuff on the forums since we can't communicate in-game. Also world PVP was amazing. AV was so much fucking fun in vanilla, and felt like this long epic experience that was fun to participate in.

Also no daily quests, no flying mounts, money had more value (while having a lot if was more rare), not many had epic ground mounts, and the overall user-friendliness was rougher, but not terrible.

I actually have met (IRL) a few of the guildmates I played with for the decade or so i've been playing WoW, and they really are great people i'd consider friends.

Mupod

My server (Burning Blade US) at least was pretty tight-knit. I could look at a battleground and tell you the class, spec and relative gear level of every person in there just by their names, because I knew everybody. And I still remember a lot of them. Case in point, a guy at work added me to battle.net a few weeks ago, I remembered his username, turns out he was my old Tarren Mill/early morning dungeon buddy from 2005.

I used to hang out in an IRC channel for my server and we would organize world PVP even before BGs. Got to know a lot of Alliance folks and ended up converting some of them to Horde, I still keep up with a few of them.

I loved hanging out on the server forums and reading all the guild drama and such. Moments like when that one infamous PVP warrior got himself an Ashkandi and the whole server let out a collective 'oh shit'. Or that time someone had a monopoly on the Stronghold Gauntlets plans, and made a point of not selling them to anyone in a guild he hated. But when he sold a set to someone, a warrior from that guild jumped off a nearby roof, traded the guy, equipped them and laughed at him.

My first Molten Core raid was an experience like nothing I'd ever had in a game before. It was run by an ex-Planetside outfit lead by a guy named Malorn (who I believe ended up being a designer on Planetside 2). I'd never even used voice chat for a game before and suddenly I'm having orders barked at me. I just tried to stay focused on my task, desperately keeping an offtank alive on Golemagg. The fight felt like it took hours. Ended up being good friends with said offtank for years, him and his twin brother ended up in the same raid guild. Still talk to him now and then.

I spent a LOT of time playing WoW back then. But I don't regret any of it, because it was an experience I can't really have anymore. It's not just that the genre has become more streamlined and accessible, throwing away community interaction in favor of convenience. A big part of it is just that I just can't get absorbed into a game like that anymore. I can't just log into another MMO and sit around in town chatting with random folks for hours, I have to be on that progression treadmill at all times. WoW was my real world for a while, work and such was just a break from it. I didn't even need an IM client for a while because everyone I knew was online in it all the time. Don't think anything like that will ever happen again.

rackham

Banned
Rogue tanking was a thing your group would try and fail at for 5 man dungeons when the tank ended up leaving.

It consisted of a rogue stun locking enemies one at a time and using evasion. Then having to wait for all the cooldowns to finish before pulling the next mob.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
-If you were a Warrior you were a tank, period. Arms and Fury weren't viable.

Warriors would tank in PVE but to do any damage at all (especially in PVP) you HAD to go with Arms or Fury. You had certain abilities like Mortal Strike which was a core DPS ability for Warriors and it was only available in the Arms tree. A very dedicated MT might have chosen to go Protection for the good of the guild but all your offtanks usually specced into Arms. Not just for PVP but also to supplement the raid's damage, because Protection just straight up could not deal damage.

Mupod

One time as my Paladin I spec'd Protection for shits and giggles but didn't tell my guild since I knew they'd get annoyed and wouldn't allow me to join that week's raid in Molten Core. Fast forward to the raid, and just my luck, I was assigned to heal the main tank on a few of the bosses. Panicking, I whispered one of our priests, who was super nice, and asked her if she could occasionally toss the tank a HOT because otherwise i would have been screwed XD Thankfully she thought it was hilarious and agreed. Totally saved my ass.

I was 'that weird feral druid'. My guild kind of just put up with my quest to have twice as much armor and health as raid geared tanks. Got to tank Patchwerk even. I was also the god of WSG.

I used to sometimes be strange PVP specs and didn't bother always changing out for farm raids. When someone would ask for an Innervate I'd just say it was on cooldown.

Rogue tanking was a thing your group would try and fail at for 5 man dungeons when the tank ended up leaving.

It consisted of a rogue stun locking enemies one at a time and using evasion. Then having to wait for all the cooldowns to finish before pulling the next mob.
Oh boy, I remember rogue tanking a few times. It was awful, but it was so hard to find tanks sometimes that it seemed like a good idea.

It wasn't.

Loxley

I just remembered having to individually bless every single member of a 40-man raid as a Paladin. And those suckers only lasted 5-10 minutes - when did I ever have time to actually heal?

Kazer

For as much shit as I give WoW, I have some very fond memories of Vanilla. As others have said - the sense of exploration and discovery was unmatched. I remember playing a druid as my first char. The first time I got to Darkshore I got my ass kicked and quit for a little bit (this was right at launch).

Getting to level 40, getting enough money for my mount, and chilling in Gadgetzan with friends was so fun. And exploring Un Goro Crater for the first time! Also, Alterac Valley was an absolute blast.

I miss Vanilla.

Thoraxes

I just remembered having to individually bless every single member of a 40-man raid as a Paladin. And those suckers only lasted 5-10 minutes - when did I ever have time to actually heal?

Man, all those blessing timer addons lol. HATED them when I pally healed!

Arttemis

Because I'm assuming you had an add-on that let you select people easily.

My guild required certain raiding add-ons to even join their raid teams, and they could check whether or not you had the add-on through the add-on!!

Zukkoyaki

My top memory was field PVP before the Battlegrounds launched. Wrangling a bunch of people in area general chat and going to hit one of the other faction's towns was amazing. Before long, dozens and dozens of people joined in the beautiful chaos of fighting all around towns like Crossroads and such. It was so much fun!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh, man. The joy of walking up to a new city or hub and finding out that it had a flight path.

A community that worked together to try and figure out the game best sums it up. They didn't need rewards or points. They did things because they wanted to. If people wanted to pvp they'd go looking for a fight. If they wanted to raid or run dungeons they'd make the effort to join a guild or try to form one in town. Now everything can be done through automated systems which drastically reduces actual player interaction. You can run dungeons/raids without even needing to talk to each other. Just join a queue for whatever dungeon/raid/battle ground you want and it'll spit you out with other random players. I think they also selected players from different servers so even less of a chance you know who anyone was. People expect you to know what you're doing thanks to wiki. Dailies to me made the game feel more like a job to me then anything. I found myself simply logging in so I could do my daily stuff in order to progress towards the more end game content. PVP is basically waiting around and joining a battleground so you can earn points towards better gear so again, you can do the better stuff. Sure theres still some interaction but it wasn't remotely the same. What once felt like an adventure with random strangers now feels like you're just another faceless player. I haven't played since cataclysm but I can't imagine much has changed.

Nice summary. I forgot to mention also that there was huge server lag the first few weeks or months, so when you tried to loot anything, any mob, etc. You generally had to wait several (5-10) seconds. It was kind of excruciating.

Getting stuck in that loot animation and sliding around on the ground. That takes me back.

Thoraxes

Because I'm assuming you had an add-on that let you select people easily.

My guild required certain raiding add-ons to even join their raid teams, and they could check whether or not you had the add-on through the add-on!!

Pally was funny to heal as later into TBC with them being a two-button spec. I basically just held shift then played whack-a-mole alternating left/right clicks for Flash of Light/Holy Light lol.

I remember a few things.

Days of grinding for my Kodo in Scarlet Monastry.

When the Dragon aspects released any kind of truce between Horde and Alliance was gone and it was just ganking for hours still somehow one faction got it done.

Priests mind controlling people into Black Rock lava.

Booty Bay being gank central but watch out for those guards they mean business.

Entire marches on mounts to Stormwind.

Altarec Valley in glorious 10FPS.

Onyxia had some serious mood swings.

Okay how many times do we need to say this don't peak out at Chromaggus.

Weevilone

Yup. So few players ever saw Naxxramas (Vanilla WoW's final raid before Burning Crusade) to the point that they brought it back in Wrath of the Lich King with few changes and it was the first time for most players.

Yeah getting to see Sunwell and Naxx 40 was a great time. Unfortunately I didn't finish either when it was current, but pretty close.. especially with Naxx.

There were silly things that didn't age well (resist gear raid bosses? ugh) but the game at that time was the best gaming experience ever for me. Doing 5 mans was just so much fun then, and the sense of community on a realm was amazing. If you were a very good player then many people knew you, and it led to being included in things.

Being a raid leader / guild leader / guild officer then was horrible though. Trying to maintain a guild that could successfully handle 40 man content was just terrible. It was like herding cats and recruiting new cats all the time.

I'll never forget when Dire Maul opened and the world was practically empty... and all the weekly rumors that Onyxia deep breathed more often.

I made a ton of friends through that game, still play off and on.. but am still in contact with many of them. I even ended up getting one guild mate from across the country hired on and worked with him for years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
-If you were a Warrior you were a tank, period. Arms and Fury weren't viable.

I'm gonna call bullshit on this. I had a friend who was a 2h Fury warrior and he was consistently near the top of the DPS rankings and we had some damn good mages and rogues. I tried it out a few times on alt raids after I got a good weapon and it definitely worked. Arms was totally useless though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are hogger raids still a thing?

Here's a old video of my guild doing a 40-gnome raid on him back in vanilla. I think the audio got muted from a copyright strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9crxKv8Efk

I'm really glad I quit playing the game but I can't deny I still have some good memories from that time.

Loxley

Also, to hell with C'thun, Nefarian, or Kel'thuzad...

idQmAS4.png

...these motherfuckers killed more players than anyone in vanilla.

danthefan

Was involved in a server first CThun kill. That was a fairly cool moment. Got about half way through Nsxx but man that was hard. Quit when the first expansion came out because the game was taking way too much of my time, you needed to put in serious hours to be doing that shit.

I played a hunter. We were kinda crappy tbf. Didn't do the same dps as a competent rogue or mage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I remember the Warrior class quests. Those were all totally awesome. Learning fury turned into a 1 vs 100 fight and the lvl30-40 class weapon quest was that real shit. You weren't a legit warrior without a whirlwind weapon.

Steel

Banned
Nobody really knew what they were doing. There were no matchmaking parties or even pvp battlegrounds at first, so everything was a social experience. Run into a few people while questing in the open world? You'd probably talk to them for a bit and may even end up joining a guild together. You wanted some pvp? People would organize city raids since there was no other way. They'd usually be a hot mess, but it was always a fun hot mess.

Also, since it took forever to get to max level, the journey there was a bit more fun and less of a grind, imo.

Strimei

A community that worked together to try and figure out the game best sums it up.

For what its worth, there's a fair amount of this going on in Legion. The mysteries like the hidden mounts and stuff have had groups band together to figure it out, its been pretty neat.

Also, to hell with C'thun, Nefarian, or Kel'thuzad...

idQmAS4.png

...these motherfuckers killed more players than anyone in vanilla.

Memory serves that even like two expansions later they were still killing more people than most bosses.

Adaren

There was very little emphasis on being "good", weirdly enough. Guides didn't exist, so for the most part (at least outside of the most hardcore guilds) people weren't paying too much attention to how well you actually performed. The most important part of dungeons was not pulling extra mobs*, but beyond that people generally weren't too picky about how much damage you dealt.

Rotations were, for the most part, really simple. Most classes used just one or two buttons in their PvE rotation. However, aggro / threat was a legit mechanic, and as a DPS you had to make sure you were attacking the right target and not going above the tanks threat. If you did, you would pull aggro and promptly die (in part because healers had a limited spell set, so they didn't have many of the twitchy life-saving abilities that they do now).

Raid encounters were incredibly simple, which was balanced out by the fact that they were massive logistical nightmares. To help organize 40 man raids, a member of each class was normally assigned as the "class leader" and people organized that way. The individual sub-groups within a raid (a 40 man raid has 8 parties) were also massively important because lots of classes had buffs that only applied to their party. So you would, say, make sure to build a group with a Shaman + Melee so that they could get Windfury Totem. Or a Warlock + the tanks so that they could get Blood Pact from the Lock's Imp.

Loot was extremely scarce. It was rare to see someone in all Blues, and having all Epics meant that you were a star of the server. Stats were all over the place; Hunter gear being the most notorious, since they had abilities that scaled with pretty much every stat under the sun (Agility, Intellect, Spell Power, Attack Power, Mana Regen, etc. etc.).

There was a huge sense of mystery to the world. The idea of a periodic raid release schedule hadn't been established yet, so it was a big surprise when Ahn'Qiraj and Naxxramas came out and people didn't really know what to expect. Expansion release cycles also weren't solidified. There was a lot of speculation based on unused game files about things like Outland, Emerald Dream, Karazhan, Hyjal, and the Caverns of Time. This was an extremely popular exploration video that covered a lot of those hidden areas and contributed to the excitement about them. People were always wondering about how the game would evolve, but there was very little expectation about how it would evolve, if that made sense. For example, lots of people made suggestions for the concept of flying mounts, but since there was no idea what an expansion to WoW would be like, it was a huge surprise to see flying mounts and Outland actually realized in game.

* This is how the term "Huntard" came to be. Hunter pets were notorious for going haywire and pulling extra mobs.

Biggest difference was that Wowhead and the like didn't exist. You had thotbot and a couple other sites but they were woefully incomplete and not great sources of information. This may seem like a minor detail but it created a sense of mystery, discovery and intrigue. Nobody really knew what they were doing and so there was a lot of speculation and myths floating around. The communal sense of discovery really made it a fun, more enjoyable environment.

I just remember the community back then...

I joined a guild and they pretty much became my 2nd family. It was ran by an older husband and wife who did every thing for us. Even if one of us was low on funds and couldn't re-up our subscription, they would chip in and help out. It was some great times.. a lot of times if we weren't raiding, I would just log on and shoot the shit with them in guild chat.

Good fucking times.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man, I remember sneaking into Hyjal a few times. We'd go in there and hang out before raids, maybe play a bit of poker (there used to be a poker mod) while we waited for summons.

Hell, one time we played poker while we were supposed to be tanking the suppression rooms in BWL. Every single tank in the raid was in the game and the poker screen covered the entirety of your screen so you couldn't see shit. So a bunch of blind-ass tanks were trying to control what was one of the most annoying parts of the raid to tank. We just kept blindly running forward, tabbing, and spamming abilities until the raid leader started yelling at us to slow down a bit and read chat, of course we couldn't see chat so we all got caught. I never heard that dude so mad. Our class leader, who had turned us onto the mod in the first place and was down 200g, decided we shouldn't play anymore while we tank. :lol

Bossun

It was truly an awesome experience. Having to travel by foot or mount all the regions, discover beautiful and desert places. You truly felt in an enormous world full of mysteries.

The excitation the first time you went to Kalimdor, in "enemy" territory.
Grouping for the insane raids and talking to people was awesome. It kind of got lost now with the team finder and all. But the sense of community and the sense of all of the players discovering a new world together was just epic.
Guild spirit was a real thing, I made some real friends. We could spent hours and hours playing or doing quests.

Seeing someone with epic gears or t1 - t2 - t3 meant the guy was badass and a huge player. Getting my first pieces felt like a huge achievement, getting my t2 paladin made me so happy.

I really wish I could relive it all again.

Vestal

Gold Member
It was the golden age of MMOs. The cross between what Everquest was and what WoW would later become.

Adaren

It was truly an awesome experience. Having to travel by foot or mount all the regions, discover beautiful and desert places. You truly felt in an enormous world full of mysteries.

The excitation the first time you went to Kalimdor, in "enemy" territory.

This is something I had forgotten about. Being Horde, it felt like there were huge parts of the world that were a mystery to me because they were Alliance territory. Sneaking through them felt like you were breaking all the rules. And when you came across a low level player of the opposite faction, all you could do was /wave and pray they weren't announcing your location in the zone chat channel and asking high level players to come kill you.

Just so massively different, the game now really is a perversion of what it was then.

In vanilla/TBC you felt like you were on an adventure in a huge world full of other adventurers. Now it just feels like you're playing a video game. The players now, who seems to be the majority, who favor everything being streamlined, super easy, no effort to get gear, no travel time, shun all aspects of community, insist that everything must reward you in some way, I really have to question why they don't play a single-player game in which those things would be inherent. But the game has evolved to accommodate them, or did the game's evolutions create those players? Who knows.

Raiding is the one thing that still feels special. If raiding was taken out, or ruined in some way, I can't think of any reason one would have to play WoW instead of a Witcher game, or HZD, etc.

zeemumu

I came early BC so I still caught a good chunk of vanilla. Hunters had more weapon variation with carrying a melee and ranged weapon, you had to keep your pet happy and buy ammo, pally and warlocks had class mounts and everyone was upset, and there was a shitty dkp system put in place by control freaks

Bossun

I came early BC so I still caught a good chunk of vanilla. Hunters had more weapon variation with carrying a melee and ranged weapon, you had to keep your pet happy and buy ammo, pally and warlocks had class mounts and everyone was upset, and there was a shitty dkp system put in place by control freaks

Yeah ahah, and yet getting your mount as a pally and warlocks was hella hard and expensive, almost as expensive as regular mount. You had to farm very hard to get materials, spend close to 5000 gold (If I remember well) and had to go do some difficult quest in some not so frequented dungeons, meaning it was hard to find someone to help you...

zeemumu

I miss it being mind blowing to see a level 60 character with an epic mount.

The thing about Legion is that they sped up the grind. Once you get one character there, you can get the rest of your characters there no problem. 7.3 made it so your artifact level carries over, so with one maxed out character, the rest of your new 110's are pulling millions of artifact power per item. And heirloom gear lets you speed through early game stuff.

Dreez

You could kinda carve your own place in the world... I used to chill by some graveyard area as an Undead Rogue and just gank Alliance while my clan mate was always posted at an actual Alliance port. I don't know how it is now but there was a real hatred on my server between the two sides lol

The most addicted I've ever been to a game, it ruined my freshman year of high school. The more "convenience" based aspects they added later such as flying mounts and finding groups for raids actually took away from what made the game great.

Top Bottom