• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying out new HDMI cables worked. I'm a believer now

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Months ago I had some periodic green pixelated shit on my TV from my 4k cable box. The audio was 100% fine though. Would only happen on 4k channels. All other normal HD channels were fine.

I was testing out and swapping various HDMI cables (both the cables that came with the 4k box and the cable that came with my Xbox One X). Surely these must be 4k compatible right? That was the assumption. If they weren't, why include shit cables that don't support 4k properly? Still happened. And if it's happening with two cables it's probably not the cables right?

It was a weird thing because the green pixels wouldn't happen right away when I'd watch the channels. They come later on and happen maybe once every 5 minutes. So I'd always think it was the 4k box and it would eventually fix itself by rebooting the cable box. Kept coming back.

Decided to buy at Costco a 2-pack 4k HDMI cable. Disconnected the two cables (cable box and xbox) and used these new Costco ones.

Perfecto. Not one green pixel since.

I know someone is going to say buy them cheap online, but I wasn't sure if this would work so I needed a fast and guaranteed way to refund them if the green pixels still happened.

Not having luck with green pixels (also had a laptop issue that fixed too.... due to Google Chrome extension)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
XBOX X comes with 4k cable it says on the cable.
I hear ya.

But when I tried using the Xbox One X cable as my 4k cable box to TV connection cable the green pixels still happened.

Some reason both the 4k cable box and 4k Xbox X cables had shitty green pixels when connecting direct to the tv. But the Costco ones work.

Jayjayhd34

I hear ya.

But when I tried using the Xbox One X cable as my 4k cable box to TV connection cable the green pixels still happened.

Some reason both the 4k cable box and 4k Xbox X cables had shitty green pixels when connecting direct to the tv. But the Costco ones work.

Bandwidth issues normally result in total blackscreen. That's my experience anyway. Pixelation just sounds like faulty cables but two go that's strange.

If they where not 4k cables none of your xbox games would of been 4k 60fps and hdr would only work at 1080p.

But glad you got it sorted.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Yeah, next time you have any issues just buy a new XBox One X.

Where thee hell did that come from assuming the guy bought the console new then the cable would be newest spec of hdmi as stated on cable.

As I've outlined in the other post it's unlikely this due to not having the correct spec of hdmi cable. As I'm sure he would notice not having games run 60fps and hdr only running at 1080p.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Where thee hell did that come from assuming the guy bought the console new then the cable would be newest spec of hdmi as stated on cable.

As I've outlined in the other post it's unlikely this due to not having the correct spec of hdmi cable. As I'm sure he would notice not having games run 60fps and hdr only running at 1080p.
i STAND BY MY ADVICE.

Kenpachii

tenor.gif

DrDamn

Decided to buy at Costco a 2-pack 4k HDMI cable. Disconnected the two cables (cable box and xbox) and used these new Costco ones.

Possible external interference was causing the issue and the new cables you bought have better shielding.

VGEsoterica

This. If HDMI cables are too close to power cables, you can get interference or even a completely garbled signal. Depends on how well both cables are shielded from interference

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Possible external interference was causing the issue and the new cables you bought have better shielding.
This. If HDMI cables are too close to power cables, you can get interference or even a completely garbled signal. Depends on how well both cables are shielded from interference
Hmmm.... thanks for the tip. Never knew that. You learn something new everyday.

Ya, the way I have my set up, my tv, 4k cable box, Xbox, router etc..... are all crammed into media stand slots and the back corner slot is where all the plugs go into a power bar and I think my tv goes into a wall socket. No doubt there's a shit load of cables and plugs in that maybe 1 square ft of space.

I've always done this with my hardware and media stands and never had an issue, but for whatever reason ever since I got my 4k cable box, the weird shit popped up until I Costco'ed it with new cables. When it was a normal HD cable box (and I had Xbox X), never had the issue.

Cheers to everyone.

lachesis

I had some issues with displaying 4k with my ultra thin 4k/HDR compatible Monoprice cables. I had no issues with 1080p or whatnot - but PS4 pro would drop the signal off and on - like once in 15 min or so.

I originally thought it was either my sound bar, or TV or PS4 Pro having handshake issues - and tried out everything - but with no luck. PS4 Pro worked just fine at 1080p though.... so I figured it would have to be the cable.

I researched but couldn't find anything other than maybe get some more premium cables - and ones that really certify the bandwidth with HDMI certification - and all problem just disappeared.

In case of HDMI - it's not just on and off. Yes technically it's on and off - but depending on the length and bandwidth capacity also matters. Not saying that you would need to buy the most expensive ones - but at the same time not to skimp out to pay a few more bucks for your cable if you are running your HDMI cable for 20-30ft from your source...

obin_gam

So my HDMI cables are like 5+ years old. Should I invest in new ones? How long are the "lifespans" of them? And is there a spcific brand or "type"?
Note: I dont have a 4K tv, just a good old high quality Sony Bravia which is like 10 years old hehe.

Duck In Ur Shirt

Neo Member
So my HDMI cables are like 5+ years old. Should I invest in new ones? How long are the "lifespans" of them? And is there a spcific brand or "type"?
Note: I dont have a 4K tv, just a good old high quality Sony Bravia which is like 10 years old hehe.

If you're not bothering with 4k or high framerates, and what you have are still working for you, then there's not much reason to buy new ones.

That being said, if you were moving to 4K @ 60fps, then I'd recommend these; they're what I use on my home theater PC. Super thick, and provide the 18Gbps as advertised for a very reasonable price.

Riven326

Banned
Months ago I had some periodic green pixelated shit on my TV from my 4k cable box. The audio was 100% fine though. Would only happen on 4k channels. All other normal HD channels were fine.

I was testing out and swapping various HDMI cables (both the cables that came with the 4k box and the cable that came with my Xbox One X). Surely these must be 4k compatible right? That was the assumption. If they weren't, why include shit cables that don't support 4k properly? Still happened. And if it's happening with two cables it's probably not the cables right?

It was a weird thing because the green pixels wouldn't happen right away when I'd watch the channels. They come later on and happen maybe once every 5 minutes. So I'd always think it was the 4k box and it would eventually fix itself by rebooting the cable box. Kept coming back.

I know someone is going to say buy them cheap online, but I wasn't sure if this would work so I needed a fast and guaranteed way to refund them if the green pixels still happened.

Not having luck with green pixels (also had a laptop issue that fixed too.... due to Google Chrome extension)
Premium certified HDMI cables are the way to go. They are guaranteed to work. They're also very cheap. MONOPRICE sells them for like 4 dollars. They have a QR code you can scan with an app to verify authenticity. This is important given that manufacturers can claim anything about their cables online.

Top Bottom