• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tsilon.ca Discussion Thread

tsilon.ca: a gaming rewards site

What is it? A new (beta) site definitely associated with Future Shop, offering rewards for doing tests, challenges, entering codes, and participating in events.
Who can sign up? Anyone, really. Rewards are restricted to Canadian sites.
Is this legit? No CC info, phone, or address is needed either since rewards are given out as a promotional code to be used on FS.ca/CinemaNow.
I signed up and got this page with weird links. Help! Each site has a riddle. Enter the 4 answers at the bottom of the page to unlock the main site. The answers apparently change daily.
I'm in! How do I get stuff?
1. Tests: trivia questions related to gaming franchises such as Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon. Each correct answer will give you XP. Enough XP will raise your level (seen at the top left). Questions are ranked by difficulty: for example, Tier 1 questions are "easier" but give less XP.
2. Cryptocodes: these offer XP, medals, lives, and other things. Find them and enter them at the top of the page.
3. Medals: accessed via the "Status" page, you can earn medals by answering questions, entering codes, etc. They impart an unknown reward.
4. Lives: shown at the top-left of the page (the small number next to your level), they're earned by completing challenges. They impart an unknown reward.
5. Challenges (G-List only): daily themed challenges involve completing a certain goal in a game. They are worth XP and sometimes Lives.
6. Leaderboards (G-List only): game challenges that reward the best with XP and other perks.
7. Game events (G-List only): play games with tsilon employees and other members for XP.
G-List: Once you hit level 10, you become part of the G-List. You can access the G-List at the bottom of the page (refresh if you don't see it at first). Here you can complete challenges, watch videos, and access the forum.
Past promos? Past perks have included:
-a free game
-$95 PlayStation 3DTV
-$50 off WiiU
-$50/100 off PS Vita
-$20/30 off Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3, E3 pre-orders
-Mortal Kombat Vita tournament
-Assassin's Creed 3 launch party
Invites Referrals give an XP bonus. Invite your friends and/or get invited. Ask Fuzzy for an invite.

silvon

I'm confused. I signed up.. what do I do now?

It says "Enter Clue Answers here:"... what clue?

You have to collect clues from the red, green, blue, and yellow links, and enter the answers on tsilon.ca.

I just registered, and I got the following answers:
red:
human
yellow:
antipode
blue:
conduit

Can't figure out the green code... any help?

Luigi87

Red and Yellow stay the same

Blue and Green can alternate between accounts.

Blue is read the clue at the top, and find the three games that have a part of the word (or just click on every game until you find the pieces).

Green is read the background and piece together what the clues mean.
IE: The one I had was "This may be easier to solve for people who see in black and white, or see the world as though it were a fable." Then it mentioned it was a creator, and his last name... So, yeah.
molyneux

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I got to say - I love these quizzes. Link's Awakening, Halo 2 maps, Perfect Dark stuff. My golden age of no internet, cynicism free gaming.

LeetBM

Neo Member
Red and Yellow stay the same

Blue and Green can alternate between accounts.

Blue is read the clue at the top, and find the three games that have a part of the word (or just click on every game until you find the pieces).

Green is read the background and piece together what the clues mean.
IE: The one I had was "This may be easier to solve for people who see in black and white, or see the world as though it were a fable." Then it mentioned it was a creator, and his last name... So, yeah.
molyneux

That's the same one I had too when I registered last week.

LeetBM

Neo Member
I got to say - I love these quizzes. Link's Awakening, Halo 2 maps, Perfect Dark stuff. My golden age of no internet, cynicism free gaming.

I played every Halo multiplayer except Halo 2, so I was so frustrated by these questions!! :p

I rocked the Street Fighter, Sonic and Mario questions. Pokemon...not so much.

Orca

Signed up and hit the quizzes pretty hard. Got to level 18 before I quit. I was surprised how much I remembered from Street Fighter and how little I remembered about Pokemon.

Nothing but the time it takes.

Excellent.

A few clarifications on answers from the Zelda section where I could swear I answered right:
Given to you by the Great Deku Tree, it is the first of three elemental stones. It says its not Kokiri's Emerald, what is it?

This item allows Link to jump in the top-down games: Roc's Feather also rings incorrect, what is the answer then?

What state has befallen Zelda in Link's Adventure (I think it means Adventure of Link): She's asleep is incorrect.

LeetBM

Neo Member
I'm level 15......how much further should I go =/

I need more tier 3 questions

It's really up to you. The highest Level I've seen you need for a perk is 15, but then again, you have to imagine that over time the minimum Level for perks will rise. Right now I'm at 15 and haven't budged in a few days. Eventually I can see Level 20 or 25 perks being the norm.

krae_man

It's really up to you. The highest Level I've seen you need for a perk is 15, but then again, you have to imagine that over time the minimum Level for perks will rise. Right now I'm at 15 and haven't budged in a few days. Eventually I can see Level 20 or 25 perks being the norm.

There's a thread on the forums that says level 40 will be needed for some perks.

Does anyone know how often the quiz questions update?

DenisQc

perfect site to lose the little productivity GAF left me...
but also happy to see it outside of Canada-Gaf deals :)

Orca

It would be nice if there was an explanation for what it means by "100% single player campaign" for the Red Dead challenge. Finish the 'hidden' ending? Get all Achievements/Trophies?

krae_man

It would be nice if there was an explanation for what it means by "100% single player campaign" for the Red Dead challenge. Finish the 'hidden' ending? Get all Achievements/Trophies?

I think most of them are a specific achievement. For example the Beyond Good and Evil one was "Discover 80 pearls" and there is a specific achievement for that. You link your XBL account and they just check to see if you have that specific achievement or not.

theRizzle

Is there a set limit of questions you can get per day, or can I just answer ad nauseam?

I got up to level 7 or something yesterday, then I couldn't get it to give me more questions.

krae_man

Is there a set limit of questions you can get per day, or can I just answer ad nauseam?

I got up to level 7 or something yesterday, then I couldn't get it to give me more questions.

Really? I got past level 15 answering all the questions. Have you gone through all the Tier 1 categories as well as tier 2 and 3?

theRizzle

Yeah, but I was just wondering if it was a problem on my end (connection/browser/whatever) or if it only gives you 50 questions per day or something. I was clicking on the test section, and then Tier 1, and nothing would come up but a black box, so I'd go back and try Tier 2 with the same result.

I have gotten up to level 12 already today, so it must have just been something wrong on my end.

timnich

Does anyone know how you can post your score for the challenges that require an iphone or DS? For example, the Cut the Rope challenge, how would I prove I cut 5 ropes? Send a screenshot of my achievements page? I did that a few days ago and havent received any extra points yet...

Edit: As soon as I posted that I got my points. Guess that was the right way to do it lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Does anyone know how you can post your score for the challenges that require an iphone or DS? For example, the Cut the Rope challenge, how would I prove I cut 5 ropes? Send a screenshot of my achievements page? I did that a few days ago and havent received any extra points yet...
That's exactly what I did two hours ago and I just checked the site and got a pop-up saying I got 800xp.

stolin

This webpage is terrible. I setup a dummy account to try it.. it's buggy, poorly presented, there's no real logic, after asking what consoles I had it sent me to a Bieber Youtube... another one to make a Twitter account.

Not worth my time. If there's FAQ posted it may be bearable.

krae_man

Ooh that Wii Sports challange is interresting. I can't remember what EXP I got to on that one. I'll have to fire the game up when I get home. I think I may have got that high.

LeetBM

Neo Member
All this talk of completing Challenges is getting me interested. I just didn't want to go through the hassle, lol. But the amount of Exp you can get is quite good, at least in comparison to trivia. Also, I think doing Challenges is the only way to get extra lives, which I assume will have value soon enough.

LeetBM

Neo Member
Shouldn't this be on the gaming boards, since the site is 99% gaming related? (outside of the Cinema Now perk)

I was thinking the same thing, this discussion is going to be 99% gaming. I wouldn't even use this website if it wasn't gaming related.

btkadams

Edit: As soon as I posted that I got my points. Guess that was the right way to do it lol

for the ds one (pokemon), i just took a picture of my ds screen with the 3 pokemon in my party.

whitehawk

Banned
This webpage is terrible. I setup a dummy account to try it.. it's buggy, poorly presented, there's no real logic, after asking what consoles I had it sent me to a Bieber Youtube... another one to make a Twitter account.

Not worth my time. If there's FAQ posted it may be bearable.
That's the whole point. At it's early stages, it's meant to be mysterious and confusing. People are told about a site that gives away free stuff. By having a confusing 'test' to access the website, it seems exclusive. It's intriguing. I've seen this before, and I can guarantee you this site will end up just like lockerz.com.

In the beginning, lockerz was great. People on the site were redeeming lots of prizes pretty easily. This was when the userbase was small. This means there is going to be a small, but very vocal minority spreading the word that this site is awesome and gives away free stuff. More people join. The more members they have, the site begins to make it harder to earn stuff. Then they start adding sections with videos + ads. You have to watch the video to get points, but that means you have to watch the ad.

Now Lockerz barely gives anything away, and they earn ad revenue and sell products to all the members they accumulated.

So milk this new site for all it's worth at the beginning. It's likely to become worse and worse as time moves on.

btkadams

That's the whole point. At it's early stages, it's meant to be mysterious and confusing. People are told about a site that gives away free stuff. By having a confusing 'test' to access the website, it seems exclusive. It's intriguing. I've seen this before, and I can guarantee you this site will end up just like lockerz.com.

In the beginning, lockerz was great. People on the site were redeeming lots of prizes pretty easily. This was when the userbase was small. This means there is going to be a small, but very vocal minority spreading the word that this site is awesome and gives away free stuff. More people join. The more members they have, the site begins to make it harder to earn stuff. Then they start adding sections with videos + ads. You have to watch the video to get points, but that means you have to watch the ad.

Now Lockerz barely gives anything away, and they earn ad revenue and sell products to all the members they accumulated.

So milk this new site for all it's worth at the beginning. It's likely to become worse and worse as time moves on.
i wouldn't assume it to be online for a long time like lockerz. lockerz is a lone entity that works with countless brands with the goal of sustaining itself on this business model. fs/bb can easily shut down the site when it gets big because this is really just a viral marketing campaign for their game division.

Yep, Lockerz is useless now for getting anything good. I have a ton of PTZ (their currency) and can't spend it on anything since they limit the discounts on stuff. It's kind of funny though because in the beginning their site was buggy, unstable, and botted like crazy yet now that no one cares about it it's actually a somewhat decent site.

Lothars

Only 100 3DS codes.

Need level 18 and one challenge completed.
That's not bad, I am level 17 with one challenge completed, So I have a good chance of getting it, I think I am going to try to take advantage of this if I can get a Red 3DS, So the deal starts January 31st?

Takao

Banned
Only 100 3DS codes.

Need level 18 and one challenge completed.

I already have a 3DS, so I don't care. But what this is telling me is that I need to do more quizes and challenges (I'll get the Pokemon one tomorrow) for when the free game promo shows up.

I already have a 3DS, so I don't care. But what this is telling me is that I need to do more quizes and challenges (I'll get the Pokemon one tomorrow) for when the free game promo shows up.

I'm assuming the free game promo just requires you to be signed up. At least that is the impression I'm getting. It's supposed to be for all active members.

That's not bad, I am level 17 with one challenge completed, So I have a good chance of getting it, I think I am going to try to take advantage of this if I can get a Red 3DS, So the deal starts January 31st?

I believe they start handing out codes on the 30th. There is more info in the perks section.

theRizzle

Some of these questions I know I am getting them right, but it's telling me I got them wrong. A lot of the time it's ones where you have to type in the answer yourself.

For example, I'm doing the Final Fantasy set on Tier 1 and I get this question:

"He's not a thief, he's a treasure hunter!"

So I type
Locke
and I get it wrong.

Next question: Something about an imperial general who can absorb magic through her sword. I type
Celes
and I get it wrong again.

Maybe I wasn't supposed to use a capital letter? Or are they looking for the first and last name?

edit: So it accepted Fran and Wakka as good answers. Do they even have last names?

krae_man

I'm leveling as much as I can, better safe then sorry. I hope they put up more challenges I already completed. More trivia took, Its a great time waster at work.

Top Bottom