• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey arrests Dutch political commentator for anti-Erdoan tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erdogan is such a coward.

Its sad time we live in were people like Merkel do support this asshole because they need him to make up for their own stupid decisions.

Democracy my ass.

Some fuck goats, others pigs.

Or donkeys:
zyF4ga6.jpg

Neo C.

Does Erdogan think he can pull a China? Turkey is nowhere near the economic power of China, journalists will keep reporting.

Azih

The most terrible thing is Edrogan is using Syrian refugees as bargaining chips to protect his ego. Piece of shit micro penis goat fucker that he is.

Oogedei

Sadly he will get away with it. Europe needs Turkey and they won't criticize Erdogan. They should stand up for their citizens and basic human rights but nah.

@OP: the town is called Kusadasi not Kuidashi

Berto

How are the turkish people seeing and reacting to these abuses from Erdogan? Is he popular to a point no one cares about this? If this happened here in Portugal (and we are known for our passiveness) there would be riots.

Well, Europe has to keep playing along with Erdogan if they want his cooperation to stop the migrants. So Europeans have to ask themselves, is it worth it?

Well, Europe has to keep playing along with Erdogan if they want his cooperation to stop the migrants. So Europeans have to ask themselves, is it worth it?

In a perfect world it's not worth it.
In a world where fringe right, Putin financed parties are gaining ground on the backs of refugees. In a world in which refugees are dying by the thousands while making the trip and who are exploited by human traffickers. In such a world, it may very well be worth it.

/
She has been released, but is not allowed to leave Turkey.
That's very good to hear.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The concept of punishing people for insulting you seems to be a common one not just in dictatorish nations, but also in many Islamic nations in general. Here in Kuwait people have been arrested for making critical comments on social media about the leaders of not just Kuwait, but Saudi and Bahrain as well. Vaguely worded laws give the government plenty of leeway to harass critics. Plus you can go file a police report against anyone for "insulting" you. Which leads to ridiculous incidents where everyone is having a hissy fit about perceived insults and demanded punishments like a bunch of elementary school students trying to get each other in detention. All of this is of course backed up by their claims of righteousness due to haraam activities of others and religious law.

Chichikov

The concept of punishing people for insulting you seems to be a common one not just in dictatorish nations, but also in many Islamic nations in general. Here in Kuwait people have been arrested for making critical comments on social media about the leaders of not just Kuwait, but Saudi and Bahrain as well. Vaguely worded laws give the government plenty of leeway to harass critics. Plus you can go file a police report against anyone for "insulting" you. Which leads to ridiculous incidents where everyone is having a hissy fit about perceived insults and demanded punishments like a bunch of elementary school students trying to get each other in detention. All of this is of course backed up by their claims of righteousness due to haraam activities of others and religious law.
You'll be surprised that this shit still exist in some western democracies.
Denmark, The Netherlands, Norway and Spain all still some version of those laws.

Yet another reason why the existence of monarchy is a fucking travesty.

Oogedei

How are the turkish people seeing and reacting to these abuses from Erdogan? Is he popular to a point no one cares about this? If this happened here in Portugal (and we are known for our passiveness) there would be riots.

It's a bit complicated, but here some background informations:
There were elections in June and Erdogans party lost support after all these years of enormous support because of the massive economic growth under Erdogan. Erdogan's party (AKP) wanted to change the constitution, but they couldn't get enough votes. Erdogan couldn't accept it and arranges new elections. He started the old conflict with the PKK again to get some support of the Nationalists and the Kemalists (the opposition). You can always count on support when you're fighting PKK, because many Turks (and also Kurds) died in the last 40 of this conflict. Additionally, he had negotiations going with the EU and Merkel visited him before the new elections. This got him even more support ("look Merkel and the EU are recognizing us!"), but we know what the EU's real intention was.

Erdogan's AKP got ~50% in the new elections and he had the majority again (also enough votes to change the constitution). But it's important to remember that 50% didn't vote for Erdogan and they strongly oppose him. However, it's hard to say anything against him. He controls the media and many other important institutions. Saying anything against him gets you into massive trouble. There were riots back in 2013, but people got killed and arrested. Even posting something negative about the gov on twitter can get you arrested...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Denmark, The Netherlands, Norway and Spain all still some version of those laws.

True, except those laws are rarely enforced, besides the recent fuckery of course, while the laws in this region in regards to insulting heads of state are regularly enforced very harshly and abused to the point where any criticism at all is somehow painted as anti Islam and result in jail time.

oti

Banned
I know, but how did he came up with it? Did he put it in his poem just to insult him or is there more to it?

This post shows everything wrong with this whole poem controversy.

People just don't get what Böhmermanns intention was, at all.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This post shows everything wrong with this whole poem controversy.

People just don't get what Böhmermanns intention was, at all.

Which is the whole reason why he has legal trouble. He should've known that the "I only said what I would say if I wanted to insult him, I'd never do that" excuse is BS. Judges here have long ruled that "If I could I would call you an asshole" is just as much an insult as "you are an asshole".

oti

Banned
Which is the whole reason why he has legal trouble. He should've known that the "I only said what I would say if I wanted to insult him, I'd never do that" excuse is BS. Judges here have long ruled that "If I could I would call you an asshole" is just as much an insult as "you are an asshole".

I'm not talking about the repercussions. That's for the court to decide. All I'm saying is that taking the poem literally goes against everything Böhmermann set out to do.

Dinjooh

I can't speak for Netherlands, Norway or Spain, but 'Lèse-majesté' has never been used in Denmark for anything regarding our monarchy. Speaking up against the monarchy in any way you so choose has never been an issue in all of the time I've been here.

verbatimo

‘Turkish embassy tried to muzzle Swedish media’ – TV4

The Turkish embassy in Stockholm tried to bring pressure to bear over a TV4 documentary, according to TV4's programme director, Viveka Hansson

Hansson, in a statement on the T4 website, said that she had been sent an e-mail by Arif Gulen, the press officer at the Turkish embassy, asking her to “reconsider the decision” to broadcast a documentary tonight about the slaughter by the Ottoman Empire of Armenians and other minorities that occurred during the First World War.

Turkey has long rejected claims that the killing of up to 1.5 million Armenians in 1915 should be classified as a genocide.

Hansson dismissed the request out of hand.

“We can never accept this. We will protest against any attempt to exert pressure that threatens freedom of expression.,” Hansson said.

http://www.thelocal.se/20160424/turks-and-greens-tried-to-silence-swedish-media-tv4

Thumbs up.

In a totally coincidental event, her residence in Amsterdam has been broken in to, and only an old laptop was stolen.

http://www.metronieuws.nl/nieuws/binnenland/2016/04/woning-van-ebru-umar-in-amsterdam-opengebroken

English Google Translate: https://translate.google.nl/transla...bru-umar-in-amsterdam-opengebroken&edit-text=

That they only took a single laptop is most telling: Turkish ultranationalists or the Turkish security service - or a combination of both. There's no other expalantion. It's intimidation, pure and simple.

Under diplomatic pressure, they've released Umar but she is not allowed to leave Turkey. Apparently the Dutch government is taking this lying down, prime minister didn't even deign to summon the Turkish ambassador about the issue.

A dictator on the other side of the continent is pissing on our freedoms, scaring and muzzling anyone critical of him... and our leaders have decided discretion is the better part of valor.

We're through the fucking looking glass here.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
That they only took a single laptop is most telling: Turkish ultranationalists or the Turkish security service - or a combination of both. There's no other expalantion. It's intimidation, pure and simple.

Under diplomatic pressure, they've released Umar but she is not allowed to leave Turkey. Apparently the Dutch government is taking this lying down, prime minister didn't even deign to summon the Turkish ambassador about the issue.

A dictator on the other side of the continent is pissing on our freedoms, scaring and muzzling anyone critical of him... and our leaders have decided discretion is the better part of valor.

Let this be a warning to you all; if you get arrested abroad for nothing other than speaking your mind, do not expect our government to make a stand and help you out.

At this point, even if Dutch counter-espionage finds a link between the burglary and the Erdoğan administration (and lets remember that our current government started by halving our intelligence service's budget and these departments were hit hardest), I have zero trust they will actually come forward with this evidence and leverage it.

More than likely, these clowns will bury and bungle it like the MH17 investigation.

Osahi

Wait. They didn't even summon the ambasador? That's like the minimum gesture of caring. So they didn't even bother giving the impression they are defending her and her rights?

I wonder if Erdogan realizes he is/will cost his country tourism dollars due to this.

With all the money coming in from the refugees he won't notice. Bribes for border guards, exorbitant prices for transportation, selling faulty life vests and leaky boats and then getting paid for the EU to take some of them back. Erdogan's crying all the way to the bank.

Tourism must have taken a hit from all the recent bombings. I would never take my family to Turkey, and I've been there before.

last Week Tonight brought my attention to the guy who made this getting into trouble as well:
o-GOLLUM-ERDOGAN-570.jpg

Does fucking a goat confer some powers I was not aware of?
Fucking a goat is the official ceremony of being declared a dictator. It is a prestigious affair.

Steeven

I really despise this appeasement approach of the Dutch government in regards to this basic human rights issue. I think they should confront Turkey on this, publicly too, and prepare to take a firm stand in future violations as well. Also, Erdogan had/has sexual relations with certain animals.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I really despise this appeasement approach of the Dutch government in regards to this basic human rights issue. I think they should confront Turkey on this, publicly too, and prepare to take a firm stand in future violations as well. Also, Erdogan had/has sexual relations with certain animals.

Remember, this is the government that refused to take a stance in the case of the Armenian Genocide as well.

Steeven

Remember, this is the government that refused to take a stance in the case of the Armenian Genocide as well.

Good point, the greatest skill of this government has been evading all responsibility on all matters that actually matter indeed.

off topic - Has Germany said when that old law is going to be even removed? A timescale? 1 year, 2 years. . .

Let this be a warning to you all; if you get arrested abroad for nothing other than speaking your mind, do not expect our government to make a stand and help you out.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom