• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out PS5 Leak Showing Available SSD Storage Was Real

sircaw

Banned
This is like getting a new 6 series BMW for 20K and complaining that you don't like the alloys....

You can buy 1TB for 200 dollars IF you need it and you probably will not need it for 6 months to a year or so.

It's funny how people are complaining that there is 'nothing to play at launch' in one thread and in the very next thread they are saying '664GB isn't enough for ALL these games'.

Its a fucking disaster, i hate those green dice hanging from the mirror.

FrankWza

When I upgraded to pro, I left my upgraded 500gb SSD from launch PS4 in and took out the 1tb HDD that came with it. And this drive puts my Samsung evo to shame even when taking year of release into account.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What? The specs literally say 825gb

Since when have console ever listed the usable space on the spec sheet? Sounds like nonsense

Hey dont look at me.
When the leaks came out I was already saying well that sounds right.
Some people were seemingly shook that the number quoted is for the size of the SSD not the usable space.

Hell even in the Series X usable space thread people complained that its false advertising to call it 1TB if its really 8xxGB of usable space.

This aint my first rodeo so I aint shocked.

Banned
Some people were expecting the 825GB was usable space as in its 1TB SSD but you can only use 825GB of it, not that it was actually an 825GB SSD that then has even less usable space.

those people are weird or didn't see the Road to PS5 video where Cerny even talks about their choice of SSD size I think? I think he made up some stuff about why this size helps with... something... which I thought was some major BS while watching but I am no SSD expert... so 🤷‍♂️

MrS

Banned
Sony aren't making money off proprietary expansion cards.
Just because it isn't published info, doesn't mean it isn't happening. They'll have a deal in place with Samsung and other companies for the SSD expansions. Sony Approved Expandable SSDs etc.

Last edited:
Way faster on PS5. There has been no tests yet but it should be less than a minute for even a huge game. These are the fastest connections you can get in USB form.
well maybe on an external SSD. I'm not spending that type of money now as I'll grab a 2TD internal expansion card when they get more reasonable couple years down the line.

Bryank75

Banned
Just because it isn't published info, doesn't mean it isn't happening. They'll have a deal in place with Samsung and other companies for the SSD expansions. Sony Approved Expandable SSDs etc.
They can't have a deal with every possible manufacturer while allowing any type of SSD that fits and meets the speed required. I don't think that works...it's not something they can enforce.

I wonder how much room astrobot takes up. That's a pre installed game right? Wonder how much we can gain by deleting it.
The entire Astrobot Rescue game on the PS4 was like 7 gigs, so I don't think much. People keep asking about that demo like it's somehow taking up 50 gigs or something.

those people are weird or didn't see the Road to PS5 video where Cerny even talks about their choice of SSD size I think? I think he made up some stuff about why this size helps with... something... which I thought was some major BS while watching but I am no SSD expert... so 🤷‍♂️
It's a real reason, it has to do with how they designed the system and the multiples (kind of like matching RAM in a PC). I'm guessing the next "multiple" of storage is a significantly higher amount, so they could have never hit a good price point with it.

Someone can actually explain what the specific things are that are causing it (I think it's the amount of channels), but conceptually that's the reason.

FranXico

Just because it isn't published info, doesn't mean it isn't happening. They'll have a deal in place with Samsung.
The compatible SSDs need to meet certain specs. So far, we know they should be well about 5.5GB/s. Anything with good specs will work. And keep in mind, those SSDs are intended to work on PC regardless. Sony cannot take a cut from every unit sold.

Last edited:
I am not a Playstation fan, but why on earth would you cancel a successful preorder for these ridiculously hard to find consoles? At an absolute minimum, you can sell it at MSRP, and very likely, at a profit. Though I guess I would prefer a launch console go to someone that truly wants one.

Calm down dear, it's a jest post.

MrS

Banned
They can't have a deal with every possible manufacturer while allowing any type of SSD that fits and meets the speed required. I don't think that works...it's not something they can enforce.
You're not using your head here. It's literally no different to a Sony Approved 3rd party DualShock 4. Sony promote loads of 3rd party controllers and accessories all the time on their channels. This will be no different. They'll get a % of the ones they promote and help to sell.

Last edited:

Aidah

You're gonna need at least a 500GB NVMe eventually.

For me it's going to be enough, since I'll be playing most multiplats on PC.

Bryank75

Banned
You're not using your head here. It's literally no different to a Sony Approved 3rd party DualShock 4. Sony promote loads of 3rd party controllers and accessories all the time on their channels. This will be no different. They'll get a % of the ones they promote and help to sell.
No...you're not.... the consumer could be buying the SSD for a PC... It is a card for use anywhere. IT IS NOT PROPRIETARY!!!

Banned
It's a real reason, it has to do with how they designed the system and the multiples (kind of like matching RAM in a PC). I'm guessing the next "multiple" of storage is a significantly higher amount, so they could have never hit a good price point with it.

Someone can actually explain what the specific things are that are causing it (I think it's the amount of channels), but conceptually that's the reason.

ok, interesting.

MrS

Banned
No...you're not.... the consumer could be buying the SSD for a PC... It is a card for use anywhere. IT IS NOT PROPRIETARY!!!
I take your point but I assure you we will see an SSD come out advertised specifically at PS5 owners which Sony will help push, and they won't be pushing it for free. Please work on your reading comprehension.

Licensing for use of the brand, as well as marketing deals, are not the same thing as proprietary hardware.
I've never argued that it's proprietary hardware though have I. I've said Sony will help push a product and get a cut and that the SSD size is designed in part around this business model.

Last edited:

FranXico

Licensing for use of the brand, as well as marketing deals, are not the same thing as proprietary hardware.

Loxus

h6zAeUC.png

664 gb useable storage

Some icons are missing.
This could be the dev kit UI, with the black controller.
He also calls it dev kit UI.
Also, I don't think Astrobot is 2.4GB. That size seems too small for a game.
I could be wrong though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OK. I doubt it'll be that big of a deal for most normie users.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has a log of metadata on all users about the average HDD space utilization on PS4s and came to the conclusion that less than 1 TB is a decent price/performance compromise.

Although the smaller than expected available storage is regrettable, Sony is in a good position to make the best of it as it were. This is due to the PS5 being equipped with 10Gbps USB ports. If you have an external SSD available then it’s a non issue as an occasional game transfer from external to internal isn’t a huge deal at those speeds.

Also, the bundled astrobots game may be able to be deleted which may free up a little more space.

Yoboman

But it does....there are at least 3 drives on the market now that would be compatible
Maybe they will fast track that list, but they said after launch originally. I dont think you can hold then to account for not being clear when they were quite clear on when they would be communicating this

ok, interesting.
checked, Cerny in the Road to PS5 talks about with 12 channels, 825 gigs is the most natural size. 12 channels * 64 = 768, which is 825 gigs in whatever the hell weird math hard drives use.

Since they are using 64, the next multiple would either be double (128), or they use three 32 gig chips instead of one 64, but even then that would be 1.5 times the cost at minimum, and I have no idea if three chips would work well together or it needs to be an even number.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It’s for people that read a box and see 1 tb and think they’re getting the entire 1tb and not accounting for OS.

Also, for people that don’t understand this drive is absolutely future tech that is not available anywhere else and won’t be for months. Poor kids
I love how everyone acts like this is a regular storage solution. Come on people, this drive would cost $350 or more if it was available in 1tb form. You’re getting it included in your $399 or $499 console. Embrace the speed, appreciate the tech...step into the future.

Yoboman

Although the smaller than expected available storage is regrettable, Sony is in a good position to make the best of it as it were. This is due to the PS5 being equipped with 10Gbps USB ports. If you have an external SSD available then it’s a non issue as an occasional game transfer from external to internal isn’t a huge deal at those speeds.

Also, the bundled astrobots game may be able to be deleted which may free up a little more space.
Astro is rumoured only 2.4gb so you're not getting much back

Hawk269

Yeah it is really bad. Better delete and install until prices of SSD goes down.
Not sure...but what I found interesting when looking at the DF video in regards to Xbox Series X storage is that the Xbox One X came with at 1tb HDD and the usable memory is lower than that of the Series X. So somehow, MS was able to put a 1tb SSD but give users more memory than what they did with the 1tb HDD on the Xbox One X.

Going back to Sony, I wish they would provide a video or give people a early PS5 so we can get some tests on how standard SSD's connected to USB work with the PS5. I know that PS5 Native games need to run from the internal or expandable SSD, but I want to know is how non-native (PS4) games run on both the internal and on a standard external SSD. Sony has been very quiet about things like this.

Bryank75

Banned
Also.... games are getting bigger.

If you want extra features, ray tracing, higher fidelity, high resolution and texture quality etc etc, get ready for memory to be taken up by less games and for downloads to be far less efficient than disc to load a game.

Discs / physical software will prove their worth again IMO.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
It's FUD because it is plenty of memory to get you started and the system is excellent value. PS1 and 2 didn't come with memory cards if you remember... you couldn't save without them.
800GB is just 135GB more, barely enough for COD MW...... so if this is ridiculous, so is that!
The cope is strong.

Anyway, 800-ish GB on the Series X is still mostly tolerable, with games hovering around 100gb. 8 games or, so. It's still messier than I'd have liked, though, once you start factoring in one or two larger games. COD:MW eating up something like 200gb of your drive, leaves you just 6 games. That's not a lot. 600-ish GB on the PS5 is getting very close to crossing into "actually not good" territory. 6 games, or so. However, one big game really hurts. COD:MW eating up 200gb leaves you just four games. That's not going to be enough for some folk - especially if you're interested in trying out a bunch of new games at launch.

The saving grace here is that we were told that a huge amount of space is actually due to asset duplication to deal with platter spinning on older HDDs. With SSDs as standard, this type of duplication shouldn't be necessary, if I've understood this correctly. Hopefully this means 100gb games aren't the standard this generation.

Top Bottom