• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turns Out PS5 Leak Showing Available SSD Storage Was Real

SkylineRKR

PS4 500gb lasted me for about 2 years. By then I got a cheap 2tb.

I guess PS5 storage will last me some time as well, and see where it goes. I also plan to hold less games on my account at the same time. I don't replay a lot of them anyway.

PS4 500gb lasted me for about 2 years. By then I got a cheap 2tb.

I guess PS5 storage will last me some time as well, and see where it goes. I also plan to hold less games on my account at the same time. I don't replay a lot of them anyway.
500GB lasted 4 years for me with Killzone: SF and Uncharted 4 permanently installed.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Good thing I canceled my preorders. Sony really fucked it up with their lack of communication and their anticonsumer moves. Microsoft has been a lot more consumer friendly, but who cares if they don't have any games.
tenor.gif

CrysisFreak

Banned
SUDDENLY, no big deal! Right on queue.

Gotta wonder, if this was Series X confirmed at 664GB what kind of planet busting meltdowns you'd be having around here.

Bonus: Let's all PRETEND that this nonsense isn't much worse than 1080P UI-gate.

😂
It's not. You can use non-proprietary storage extension or back-up via USB to cope with that, meanwhile there is nothing you can do about the Seriex 1080p interface.
2007 called, they want their resolution back.

SkylineRKR

Yeah Series X size difference is 1, or 2 games tops. Then it comes down to compression too.

Just don't install a fuck ton at the same time, or get an expansion down the line.

About 400gb for the os?...
Wtf?!?
And people complain about windows os sizes...
The 600gb will be full in no time.

400gb how?

825gb isn't 825gb actual space. Then some is reserved for the OS. You always lose some. The 20gb 360 HDD had 13gb of actual space, lol.

Last edited:

FrankWza

So many people trying to put a 'who cares' gloss on this.:messenger_smirking:

600GB of usable storage space is a shit state of affairs, and you know it.

yeah. For a storage solution. Not for a future proofed technologically advanced drive thats built into the systems architecture. You’re”caring” about the wrong part. We care about the tech, not the capacity. Unless you’re getting the next gen console Thats launching with a drive this fast that has 1tb or more usable space? Show me that console.

Dr.D00p

We care about the tech, not the capacity.

Well that's dumb as fuck. Only the capacity is going to help the end user, not the tech.

The Series X 800GB is bad enough, but to me the PS5 SSD capacity is yet another sign of how they've cut corners to help their BOM, rather than the consumer. The OTT heatsink design being another, making the console such a ridiculous fat ass.

Max_Po

Banned
Well that's dumb as fuck. Only the capacity is going to help the end user, not the tech.

The Series X 800GB is bad enough, but to me the PS5 SSD capacity is yet another sign of how they've cut corners to help their BOM, rather than the consumer. The OTT heatsink design being another, making the console such a ridiculous fat ass.

If you watch the tear down, the engineer states that the SSd on board is only 825 gb. I guess after the OS that is what you are left with.

Last edited:
So I asked earlier in this thread about what new evidence we actually have since I couldn't watch the video at the time.
I've now got around to watching the video and I think I was right to question it.
We have zero new evidence atm.
The only thing in the video is the same Russian leak from before. It's just that based on what Sony have shown of the PS5 UI, the leak looks like it could be real.
But we are still talking about the same leak. Nobody from Sony or who has a PS5 (apart from the leaker) have confirmed the free space number.
So no new news or evidence at all.

Now - I'm not saying that it won't be that amount of usage space. But this thread title is pretty misleading at best!

Last edited:

FrankWza

enjoy 2013...we’ll be here in 2021.

Dr.D00p

I wonder if there is a calculation to be done on how time saved on load times this generation will be wiped out by all the time spent transferring games over from External to internal drives and vice-versa :messenger_beaming:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I wonder if there is a calculation to be done on how time saved on load times this generation will be wiped out by all the time spent transferring games over from External to internal drives and vice-versa :messenger_beaming:
Core users will use the non-proprietary expansion bay, casuals can delete FIFA 2022 when FIFA 2025 requires too much space. No problem.

Zephir

So far I've lived with a basic 500gb ps4, but it's very very tight and I've been uninstalling/reinstalling the same game for quite some time because I wasn't able to install a patch... With a PS5 I'll definitely need an extra HDD, I don't want to do this for another gen

FrankWza

yeah. For a storage solution. Not for a future proofed technologically advanced drive thats built into the systems architecture. You’re”caring” about the wrong part. We care about the tech, not the capacity. Unless you’re getting the next gen console Thats launching with a drive this fast that has 1tb or more usable space? Show me that console.

enjoy 2013...we’ll be here in 2021.

can’t you use your abacus to figure it out?

SoraNoKuni

I like how both MS/Sony fans who have preordered their respective consoles say they cancelled the preorder of the opposite brand.

People, please...

FrankWza

The same people who aren't concerned with limited storage are the same people who are up in arms over having a 1080p UI. The hypocrisy on NEOGAF is on a Super Sayin level of ridiculousness .

but both consoles have limited storage and expansion slots but one drive is far superior to the other. Only one has a 1080p UI and touts 8k possibility.

Fine for my needs. I would like more, we would all, but really that's two multi player games you cant live without, another major releases or 2 you will play through and beat and never touch again, plus a buncha indies.

When you decide a new release is more important than the other games you are powerthrough, you make the came.

My previous behavior was the same, but the 2 or so active games I was beating was accompanied by 6 games I thought I would get back to and never did until it was "their time."

Also, for 200 memory expansions, I would consider a Series X as a place to also play games. The value of both is way higher, it works as a way to spread out your library and you dont get Xbox Derangement Syndrome. Cyberpunk and AC on Xbox, Demons souls and Spidey on PS5. Plenty of space.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

but both consoles have limited storage and expansion slots but one drive is far superior to the other. Only one has a 1080p UI and touts 8k possibility.
A Lamborghini can go really fast when the need arises doesn't mean it has to constantly.

While it is a very low amount of space by today's standards I'm happy they went with baseline SSD as we are no longer held back by 5400rpm laptop drives.

Wait a year and drop in whatever the best back for buck compatible NVME drive is and baby you got a stew going.

Bad, but we people in the civilized world without data caps will survive easily on that. Survived with 500gb this generation and although sizes will increase, I imagine it'll still hold for general gaming use. The people who can't will probably either buy a really expensive additional SSD or use an external hard drive to transfer between.

The SSD prices aren't so high that I'm not able to buy them, they just seem overall pointless for the money you'll end up using. That's why I like the Xbox proprietary solution more, because it (as far as I know) allows the easy means of traveling over to a friend with your games and saves. It's not the money itself, but the value as a user in terms of what you get for the money. That will of course differ between different people, but I personally think most people will just not buy an SSD ever, working within that 664gb of storage instead. In that sense Microsoft's solution is likely to incur them more losses imo, though I feel far more interested in buying the Xbox solution than just adding an additional SSD in the PS5 solution.

FrankWza

It’s 825GB. It was only ever going to be in the 650-700 range. Not sure why anyone expected more.

maybe casuals that look at it as just storage or people who never plan on getting one and want to crap on whatever they can. No big deal. It will work itself out when they experience the speed that cannot be purchased anywhere yet...On any other console or pc.

Tulipanzo

Kind of sucks to have to deal with just that space, but my pet-peeve is how these systems can advertise space they don't have.
XBox is at 802GB and Sony at 664GB, but advertised spaces are higher which is just confusing.

Now, the other thing is how low the Series S is, because that could easily go well below 400GB, probably way less than 10 decent sized games.

Kind of sucks to have to deal with just that space, but my pet-peeve is how these systems can advertise space they don't have.
XBox is at 802GB and Sony at 664GB, but advertised spaces are higher which is just confusing.

But that has always been the case though. Is with the PS4 and Xbox One, and is the case with any PC storage drive.
This isn't a new thing.

FlyyGOD

If people want, they can get more storage.

If people want, they can't get a 4K UI.

What a ridiculously false equivalence.
You guys would rather have a 4k UI instead of making more ram available to developers? Microsoft can always make the UI 4k if they want to.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It will be interesting to see how big game installs are on these new consoles and whether advances in texture compression formats can counter the need to increase game sizes more.

On another note, relating to storage size, I think Sony have said that having an SSD will also help negate the need to patch games in the way they had to with HDD. On PS4 you have to have much more space free than the size of the game that was being patched, even if the patch itself was relatively small. I think it was effectively making a copy of the game and applying the patch to that copy, thus allowing a rollback of it failed. So hopefully in this respect the space will be better used in PS5.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
You guys would rather have a 4k UI instead of making more ram available to developers? Microsoft can always make the UI 4k if they want to.

This is just a "MS knows always knows what's best" type of argument. You don't know how much RAM the competition is reserving, therefore your point of reference doesn't say much. Your second argument doesn't work, because if indeed it's 4K because of RAM, then it will never be 4K because MS can't just take that back. It's the opposite that is possible, as shown by previous gens, more resources can be made available as the generation goes by.

It's also just a rumor, the "because more ram for devs", which is used as a defense but will shape shift into "MS found a way for a 4K ui and more RAM for devs" if it's 4K by release. Basically you're just covering all bases.... "MS always does the right thing"

Last edited:

Eliciel

never will have a problem with that. I have a fiber glass internet connection with up to 400mbit/sek and by the end of the day I am rather a person who installs 2-3max games and plays one after the other...also, when a big Exclusive drops, like GoW, I only play that for weeks..

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Question about the expansion drive. If you add a drive does it recognize it as part of the many storage (assuming it meets specs), or as another drive? I ask as swapping between 3 drives (internal, internal expansion, and external SSD) would kind of suck.

I assume it sees it as a different drive.

It's not. You can use non-proprietary storage extension or back-up via USB to cope with that, meanwhile there is nothing you can do about the Seriex 1080p interface.
2007 called, they want their resolution back.

Uh, this is wrong. The interface isn't finalized. They can swap in 4K textures with an update if they want, or (even better) apply an update to upscale the 1080p assets while still saving on system resources.

To think people are using UI resolution as a battering ram, seriously :rolleyes: ...

Tulipanzo

But that has always been the case though. Is with the PS4 and Xbox One, and is the case with any PC storage drive.
This isn't a new thing.
I know, it has always been annoying, especially now when plenty are looking to move their library over.
Ultimately it's going to vary user-to-user. Personally I'll need north of 2TB.

I actually think it's less of a pain this gen, since both support external drives to store and play games from, as well as much better priced internal upgrades (at least for Sony) from the get-go.

Who gives a shit as long as you can install 3 / 4 games at a time and a few smaller titles.

If you need more than this you are clearly gaming too much and need to go get some fresh air and exercise.

It’s the same type of people complaining about this as the ones disliking a game then saying “I put 400 hours into it” - absolute disgrace to the human race...

FrankWza

Question about the expansion drive. If you add a drive does it recognize it as part of the many storage (assuming it meets specs), or as another drive? I ask as swapping between 3 drives (internal, internal expansion, and external SSD) would kind of suck.

I assume it sees it as a different drive.

no way to say for sure yet but the assumption would be it’ll be recognized as a second drive. Especially on PS5.

Uh, this is wrong. The interface isn't finalized. They can swap in 4K textures with an update if they want, or (even better) apply an update to upscale the 1080p assets while still saving on system resources.

To think people are using UI resolution as a battering ram, seriously :rolleyes: ...

it’s not wrong because the user can’t do anything about it. Msoft would need to. Expansion storage a user can take care of. I think they will end up with a 4K UI. I think they have to.

Top Bottom