• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok steam launch trailer

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So here is a question, is anybody going to do an OT on this game since we seem to have at least two or three threads running on the subject?

Watching Queen of Hunting's footage, the game plays so much quicker than I thought. It's really more like an arena shooter.

Turok 2 multiplayer will be awesome.

Also, it's happening

uS48JgL.png

EDIT: 300 MB? What is this, 1997?

Feels just like bluray release week

Crownjo

like i said from what ive heard, plan is

turok gets steam workshop with modding etc

turok 2 comes out early next year full multiplayer

and theres been teases of turok rage wars coming too

and theres also going to be a new turok

Don't do this to me. That game was awesome.

jrcbandit

The reason why this was most likely 20 USD was so that they could offer it at 15 USD at a discount.

I think they would have sold allot more copies if they had it at $15 retail with a 10% launch discount. Only slightly less but the mind set would be of a $15 game instead of $20, which is a world of difference when it comes to "smaller" games like indy types or remasters of old games.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Trailer made me dizzy, I think that I have issues with objects appearing from the fog at higher framerates

Grief.exe

Can't get 144 FPS, the borderless setting might be my issue. (crashes if I have windowed set to 0, borderless set to 0)

• seta cl_maxfps "60" - I keep sitting this to different values, but it continues to reset to 60 upon game launch
  • seta v_windowed "0"
  • seta v_borderless "1"
  • seta v_refresh "144"

Trailer made me dizzy, I think that I have issues with objects appearing from the fog at higher framerates

I kind of get a little dizzy too.

I have weapon bob set to off, but the way the character moves and rotates causes me some issues.

jrcbandit

Can't get 144 FPS, the borderless setting might be my issue. (crashes if I have windowed set to 0, borderless set to 0)

• seta cl_maxfps "60" - I keep sitting this to different values, but it continues to reset to 60 upon game launch
  • seta v_windowed "0"
  • seta v_borderless "1"
  • seta v_refresh "144"

I have weapon bob set to off, but the way the character moves and rotates causes me some issues.

I have to play with my Xbone controller because with the mouse it was making me too dizzy. I hope a way to turn off the leaning when strafing is patched in. Well at least with the controller it feels more N64 ish!

I can't imagine Kaiser to be the kind of guy who'd stringently oppose allowing no-strafe-tilt mods or similar, given this is a guy from the Doom community we're talking about; said community is all about modding practically every facet of games.

Lafazar

Isn't the game crazy easy now that you can see the enemies coming?

No, because the AI was adapted as well. They see you from further away now, too, and start pelting you with everything they got. It's almost a different game (an even better one IMHO), since you have to deal with close, far and very far threats now.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

I am tempted to try it, but on the other hand, it is 15 € down the drain if I would end in dizzy hell

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
like i said from what ive heard, plan is

turok gets steam workshop with modding etc

turok 2 comes out early next year full multiplayer

and theres been teases of turok rage wars coming too

and theres also going to be a new turok

Any mention of Turok 3 coming/being ported over ? Loved that on N64, wouldn't mind having all of them on PC.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Any mention of Turok 3 coming/being ported over ? Loved that on N64, wouldn't mind having all of them on PC.

Yes, it has been mentioned along side Rage Wars but Rage Wars would be first from the information that has flowed.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fucking bought. Now give me Turok 2 ASAP Night Dive, ya hear me? Daddy needs to Cerebral Bore him some dinos

Yes, it has been mentioned along side Rage Wars but Rage Wars would be first from the information that has flowed.

That sucks, I have zero interest in Rage Wars, but I'd very much like to play Shadow of Oblivion. I guess Exhumed/Powerslave is coming soonish too now that Turok is out of the way?

Watching it I thought "Wow the N64 looked good!"
So this is kinda like when guys use emulators on PC and get HD textures from the current texture maps right?

This is quite different than that. This is a reverse engineered version of teh game to run on modern hardware and use modern shading effects on top of running way better.

great to know T2 is coming, but I've always been curious about the ambitious and late-N64 life cycle Turok 3. I guess that's not coming, but I remember it being pretty impressive for the time. Just one of those games I never got to and now I feel a weird itch about wondering what I missed, considering how much I enjoyed the other games on the 64.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
great to know T2 is coming, but I've always been curious about the ambitious and late-N64 life cycle Turok 3. I guess that's not coming, but I remember it being pretty impressive for the time. Just one of those games I never got to and now I feel a weird itch about wondering what I missed, considering how much I enjoyed the other games on the 64.

it will come evolution and rage wars

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
new beta patch

Changelist for 12/18/2015
Safeguard checks for initializing video. Will fall back to starting the game in windowed mode if it is unable to create a window for fullscreen mode

Head bobbing options implemented

Possible fix for a crash when loading a level or loading from a save file

Tremor effects no longer affects the player's velocity (won't be doing short hops)

Animation speeds for AI on Hard and Hardcore difficulties have been toned way d
own

Changing the difficulty in the gameplay menu now automatically updates all active AI, where before they would change their behavior only after revisiting the level (which was a bug).

Fixed crash with moving platforms in level 8 bonus stage.

Several minor updates to levels (wood pillars in Jungle all moves down rather than moving up. Looks silly with extended draw distance enabled as they all look like they're floating).

Clamped XY coordinates in light scatter shader. This fixes very bad rendering artifacts caused by the shader in certain graphics drivers.

Head Bobbing Options
This menu can be found in Options->Gameplay->Head Bobbing Options. The following options are:
Head Bobbing - Toggles all bobbing while walking/running on ground and jumping.
Turn Bobbing - Toggles the rolling of the view camera when turning (on land and in water).
Adjust View To Slopes - Toggles your view being aligned to the floor surface that you're standing on.
Underwater Bobbing - Toggles all bobbing related to being on water and underwater.

AI Updates

The timing on how long it takes for AI to respawn has been heavily re-factored now. It will take roughly 15-30 seconds for them to begin fading out and another 10-15 seconds for them to begin respawning. Its still randomized but there should be a longer delay before they start respawning though it really depends on their configuration in the levels.

The speeds of the AI has been lowered for the harder difficulties and they will be instantly updated if the difficulty option has been changed in the gameplay menu. The issue with them not updating until that level was revisited has led to a lot of confusion regarding to the broken nature of the AI and speed of the game.

I greatly appreciate everyone's patience and I hope to get more issues addressed. If any of these changes haven't introduced any new bugs, I will update the live build with this version.

Luq

nostalgia is strong with this one

it's look ok-ish for game this old with simply better textures. people who are turned down by graphics won't be interested in it for sure though.

will pick it up at some point for sure ;)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fucking bought. Now give me Turok 2 ASAP Night Dive, ya hear me? Daddy needs to Cerebral Bore him some dinos

That sucks, I have zero interest in Rage Wars, but I'd very much like to play Shadow of Oblivion. I guess Exhumed/Powerslave is coming soonish too now that Turok is out of the way?

Rights issues.

MNC

Man, what was the Turok game that had a really elaborate multiplayer on N64? You could choose your model and it reminded me a lot about Quake...

Edit: Rage Wars!

angelic

Banned
Rights issues.

I dont understand how this can come out at all.. a small company bought the rights for the original code, and the Turok license? I guess off THQ? And if this is on pc with no trouble, it absolutely needs to come to console. Turok 2 @60fps with tidied up graphics would be awesome. Hell, even 30fps would be fine compared to the original.

Jesus, this game is fast. I mean, I replayed it about a year ago (the original PC port), so you'd think I wouldn't be that surprised, but the pace is absolutely relentless. Crazy to think it debuted on a console way back when, when twitch shooters like this were primarily the domain of the PC - it's speed could give Quake a run for its money. I think it's combination of the fact that enemies respawn every few seconds (meaning you can never really stop moving for too long), plus the increased view/attack distance this version has over the original.

Persona7

Banned
Rage wars with local multiplayer/co-op (online too) will be amazing. But I need new controllers...I only have a bunch of SNES style pads for towerfall.

I ended up getting turok today but won't probably play it until next week.

Bydobob

So having played this a lot more and I'm finding enemy attacks are a bit laggy. They have an uncanny ability to hit you when seemingly out of range, while some enemies are able to connect with fire when facing the other way.

Glad to see the update sort the floating pillars, but the levitating rocks in level 2 also stand out. It would also be nice to actually unlock the framerate. While setting values at 144 in config fixed my tearing, like many others I am resolutely locked at 62fps.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I dont understand how this can come out at all.. a small company bought the rights for the original code, and the Turok license? I guess off THQ? And if this is on pc with no trouble, it absolutely needs to come to console. Turok 2 @60fps with tidied up graphics would be awesome. Hell, even 30fps would be fine compared to the original.

I am talking about Powerslave, Night Dive is having clearance issues with the rights to that one, Turok is all free and clear.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I am talking about Powerslave, Night Dive is having clearance issues with the rights to that one, Turok is all free and clear.

Oh. I hope the masters of unfuckery can tangle it out of whatever web it's stuck in. All the more reason to buy the Turok games to support their venture then.

Top Bottom