• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done with Blood and Sand

So much blood and so many bodies left in the end. Felt....refreshing. Unfortunately, the person I wanted dead the most still breathes. May their remaining time on Earth be shortened in "Vengeance"

All in all, a satisfying conclusion to the first season. Andy Whitfield will truly be missed. I'll probably pick up "Gods of the Arena" later in the week. And once "Vengeance" arrives on BR, I'll pick that up as well, to show my support for the show

Aad

Recommend me some TV shows to watch. This is what I've enjoyed over the last few years.

LOST
Fringe
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Boardwalk Empire
Pushing Daisies

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Aad said:
Recommend me some TV shows to watch. This is what I've enjoyed over the last few years.

LOST
Fringe
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Boardwalk Empire
Pushing Daisies

Justified
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones and Fringe are supposed to be good, but I haven't seen either.

Drewsky

Aad said:

LOST
Fringe
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Boardwalk Empire
Pushing Daisies
Friday Night Lights
The Wire
The Shield

-Stranger-

Completed Season 1 of The Shield, the last few episodes were really intense.
Can't wait to see Season 2, it's weird that i used to think this show wouldn't be worth my time.

Zeliard

The Shield basically picks up in intensity with each subsequent season, culminating in a 7th season that knocks your head off.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Watched both seasons of Luther recently, it was ok but I still think the first episode was the best.

So I spent the last three days marathoning Cougar Town. I have a serious craving for red wine and a game of PENNY CAAAN! now. Shockingly good show, I had only ever seen bits of it before and it's definitely one of those show that if you randomly switch on to and watch for a minute it looks absolutely awful, but if you watch it from the beginning with everything in context it's actually kind of awesome (Vampire Diaries is another one of these shows).

I also took breaks from Cougar Town with episodes of Justified, which 5 episodes in, aside from the pilot, kind of... sucks? The stand alone cases have been pretty mediocre, and more than half the episodes are spent on the dumbarses commiting the crimes who we never even see again anyway. I'm hoping it becomes more serialised soon, kind of losing interest.

The Storyteller said:
I also took breaks from Cougar Town with episodes of Justified, which 5 episodes in, aside from the pilot, kind of... sucks? The stand alone cases have been pretty mediocre, and more than half the episodes are spent on the dumbarses commiting the crimes who we never even see again anyway. I'm hoping it becomes more serialised soon, kind of losing interest.
The back end of the first season has a couple main arcs that play through, and they're not very episodic at all. However, if you hated the first five, it just might not be your cup of tea.

Cornballer said:
The back end of the first season has a couple main arcs that play through, and they're not very episodic at all. However, if you hated the first five, it just might not be your cup of tea.

I thought the pilot was great. It kind of prepared me for a different show to what I've seen since then, just not a fan of the mediocre stand alones, it'd be fine if they were any good.

-Stranger-

Just 4 more episodes of Friday Night Lights Season 5 :( wah i don't want it to end =P

Started Season 2 of The Shield, off to a great start! :)

The Storyteller said:
I thought the pilot was great. It kind of prepared me for a different show to what I've seen since then, just not a fan of the mediocre stand alones, it'd be fine if they were any good.
They all have a similar tone and style of writing (aside from maybe the trip to California), so I'm a little surprised to hear you enjoyed the pilot and didn't like the other standalone episodes. Dumbass criminals and the particular use of language carry the Elmore Leonard vibe that the writing staff is trying to achieve, so you're going to see a lot of that.

I guess just keep watching and see how it goes? Some other people have complained about the stand alone episodes at the start of S1 but later come around. The second half of the season is great, and they up it a notch in S2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Storyteller said:

The pilot is much more representative of the back half of season 1 and all of season 2. I felt sort of like you did in regards to the early episodes of season 1. But the show definitely gets much much better. Stick with it.

Cornballer said:
They all have a similar tone and style of writing (aside from maybe the trip to California), so I'm a little surprised to hear you enjoyed the pilot and didn't like the other standalone episodes. Dumbass criminals and the particular use of language carry the Elmore Leonard vibe that the writing staff is trying to achieve, so you're going to see a lot of that.

I guess just keep watching and see how it goes? Some other people have complained about the stand alone episodes at the start of S1 but later come around. The second half of the season is great, and they up it a notch in S2.

The pilot at least had the main characters interacting and having a personal connection to the bad guys (who I expected to see more of, particularly Walton Goggins, so that explains why I was expecting a slightly different show to the one ive seen since then).

Yeah, I'll definitely keep watching, I've heard great things from trusted sources. Season 2 is apparently where it's at.

Any recommendations for a series that will make me want to immediately start up the next episode after finishing the previous one, because oh-my-god-what-the-hell-is-gonna-happen next?

So far I can only think of 3 shows that have done this for me - Prison Break, Lost and Breaking Bad.

Kweh

Ventilaator said:
Any recommendations for a series that will make me want to immediately start up the next episode after finishing the previous one, because oh-my-god-what-the-hell-is-gonna-happen next?

So far I can only think of 3 shows that have done this for me - Prison Break, Lost and Breaking Bad.

Alias was the best for episode cliff-hangers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ventilaator said:

Spartacus Blood and Sand. The first few episodes are awful, but it gets much better. Stick with it and you shall be rewarded.

Ventilaator said:

Check out Spartacus. And Fringe.

Watched the pilot of Awkward. So great. It's nice to know people can still write semi-normal teens for tv, instead of the crap we get in shows like Glee.

However, what is with the censorship of swear words and even more bizarrely the finger? I dont get it, the show opened with two teens having sex and the show itself explores themes of suicide, yet saying shit is what needs censoring? America is so weird.

Jay Sosa

Watched the second episodes of ASIP (pretty funny) Community (WTF?) and then started the 7. season of Peep Show..

What a big mistake, now It'll be even harder going back to the US stuff..laughed my ass off when Mark wandered into the Arcade during Sophies birth..

Also started SE 2 of Party Down..and for some weird reason I like a lot more than the first. Never got the love for the show but it continues like that (well for that one season) It might grow on me.

• The Walking Dead Booooring
• True Blood Booooring
• Arrested Development Best US Comedy ever
• The Sopranos Awesome
• The Wire Even better (SE 2 is a snoozefest though)
• Breaking Bad Gets better with every season, not as good as the Wire but up there

Cyrillus

"Bottom Bitch" from The Shield. Vic's speech to Farrah
while his gun is in her mouth
. Simply amazing television, and the height of the duality of Vic's character. Some of the best TV I've watched!

Just finished the first season of In Treatment. So good; I'm going to miss all of the patients. :( I didn't really feel enough closure for any of them.
Alex dying was a surprise, but I didn't feel anything. Perhaps the writers should have deviated from the original production, assuming they didn't. However, the episode with the dad was great. I could just watch a season of sessions with Sophie, I'll miss her the most. ;_; Mia Wasikowska <3 I think there is so much more to tell with her story. I was satisfied with Jake and Amy's ending, though I still would like more. I kind of don't care for Paul much; last shot of the season was unsatisfying.
I'm just glad that Sarah Treem will still be writing for the next two seasons. :) I think she is half of why I loved Sophie's sessions.

sruckus

Ventilaator said:

Dexter
(Maybe) Veronica Mars (I'm really impartial to it)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
In anticipation of the upcoming David Milch series Luck on HBO, I thought that I'd start watching another Milch series - John from Cincinnati. I've only watched the first episode so far. It's really strange, in more ways than one.

First of all, the acting is really spotty. Austin Nichols is pretty good as John, but the other performances range from passable to terrible. Clearly the only reason that they cast the little boy was because he could surf, not act. The spiky haired girl that helps with the surf shop is also terrible, as is the grandma.

Everyone seems really crazy, and they don't necessarily act the way other people would act.

When the guy
levitates the second time, his son just shrugs it off, and Ed O'Neil does too. The guy just levitated, and they're like...(in Keanu voice) "Whoa." Then they proceed to forget about it.

I liked the scene where the ridiculously over the top guy makes the teddy bear surf, though. lol

Second, the writing is just not that good either. Certainly not up to par with Deadwood's.

The show is also described as "Surf Noir", but I'm not really getting any of that.

I know the show was cancelled after the first season, so without spoiling anything, are any of the mysteries explained? Do we find out what's up with John/everyone else?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
RatskyWatsky said:
In anticipation of the upcoming David Milch series Luck on HBO, I thought that I'd start watching another Milch series - John from Cincinnati. I've only watched the first episode so far. It's really strange, in more ways than one.

First of all, the acting is really spotty. Austin Nichols is pretty good as John, but the other performances range from passable to terrible. Clearly the only reason that they cast the little boy was because he could surf, not act. The spiky haired girl that helps with the surf shop is also terrible, as is the grandma.

Everyone seems really crazy, and they don't necessarily act the way other people would act.

When the guy
levitates the second time, his son just shrugs it off, and Ed O'Neil does too. The guy just levitated, and they're like...(in Keanu voice) "Whoa." Then they proceed to forget about it.

I liked the scene where the ridiculously over the top guy makes the teddy bear surf, though. lol

Second, the writing is just not that good either. Certainly not up to par with Deadwood's.

I know the show was cancelled after the first season, so without spoiling anything, are any of the mysteries explained? Do we find out what's up with John/everyone else?
Kind of sort of not really

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i just got into this show Hung or whatever, i really like it now ive got 2 seasons of stuff to catch up on, this season has been pretty good so far too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
John from Cincinnati episode 2:

This series is really strange. It's kinda horrible, but there's something about it that I like. I can't put my finger on what it is though. The main cast continues to be terrible, although the Deadwood alumni that keep popping up are pretty good. As is Elena from Uncharted!

John spent the entire episode taking a shit. wtf

The ending was cool I guess, with the bird bringing the boy back to life. I'm assuming that it was the same bird that the boy brought back to life in the pilot.

But everything is still fucking confusing. It seems like everyone is magic. :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just started watching Oz, it's pretty awesome. Now I want to go to prison. There are quite a few familiar faces: Mr. Eko, the dad from Juno, Bodie from the Wire, Dean Winters and LeGuerta from Dexter. Good shit.

bh7812

Banned
What have I been watching recently? Just finished the back 4 seasons of The Cosby Show last week, I'd seen much of the series during it's run but there were still a few episodes during the final season I hadn't had a chance to see till now so I was glad I finally got to. Just to let people know who either don't have the series and want it, or have a few seasons left to get, at Target (stock will probably vary by store) they have the series in 2 packs..Seasons 1 and 2 in one pack, 2 and 3 in another, etc. I paid $16.99 each for the Season 5, 6, 7 and 8 double packs which was a great deal and thought I'd let others know the double packs for that series are out there.

This week I started watching Battlestar Galactica-the new version from just a few years ago. That's a show I've really been wanting to see for a while, and was waiting for a big sale on it. I should also let everyone know and again it's going to vary by store but you can get Seasons 1 and 2.0 at Target for $14.99 each..that's what I paid and when I saw the price I didn't hesitate. EXCELLENT show, I haven't watched a show in quite a while that's pulled me in like BSG has. It's this great, fully realized sci-fi show done right and it leaves you thinking and guessing. I'm definitely going to get the rest of the series I think. At the end of Season 1 I can honestly say I want to see how the rest of that series plays out.

After the 2 BSG sets I have, I still have my SNL sets to watch, got the first 3 seasons of Heroes (I keep hearing it's one of those love it or hate it shows but got that on sale too).

I also have all of Newhart, all of Happy Days, all of The Wonder Years (it's complete and uncut-music and all), and all of Different Strokes still left to go.

TripOpt55

Working through Chuck Season 4 now. I got it a bit ago on Blu-Ray, but I hadn't had much of a chance to dig into it. I am through six episodes now. Pretty good so far. Otherwise, just trying to keep up with a handful of current shows. I have Season 2 of Parks and Rec to watch on DVD too, but only watched 2 or 3 episodes so far.

bh7812 said:
*BSG impression*
Since your reactions sound almost exactly like mine, I will warn you that I found seasons 1 and 2.0 among the best shows on TV, only to see a dramatic drop in quality starting with 2.5 on. It's not a popular opinion, but I figured I'd share regardless. Oh well. 'Tis better to have loved and lost...

EDIT: Besides the quality of it, the themes also changed dramatically. I found it a kind of "betrayal" similar to the changing of themes between The Matrix and its sequels.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I also have all of Newhart, all of Happy Days, all of The Wonder Years (it's complete and uncut-music and all), and all of Different Strokes still left to go.

Out of curiosity, did you have to go the bootleg route for Newhart or did I miss them actually releasing these somewhere? No judgment from me: it drives me nuts when studios put out a set or two and then abandon the series. I'd love to see last couple seasons of the Bob Newhart Show and Newhart in their entirety again.

I have recently started watching Breaking Bad and I am hooked. Walt is such an asshole:) I am in the middle of Season 3
Hank just got shot
. Very tense.

Just thought I should pop in here for and mention that Revenge is actually a compelling, legitimately good TV show. More people on GAF should be watching it.

Gila

Just started watching Oz, it's pretty awesome. Now I want to go to prison. There are quite a few familiar faces: Mr. Eko, the dad from Juno, Bodie from the Wire, Dean Winters and LeGuerta from Dexter. Good shit.

Dean Winters isn't in Dexter?

ivysaur12

Banned

Is Oz good? I need to watch a lot of older HBO programs and Oz is one of them. I see Charlie is the main character. I'm down. Also, 8 episode seasons are sexy.

yeah i like Oz.. it's a lot of fun.. pretty underrated actually

it can be ridiculous though don't expect The Wire levels of study on the prison system

edit: IIRC you like sons of anarchy and Oz is Kurt Sutter's favorite show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom