• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up that BBC America is showing the original UK "State of Play" miniseries tomorrow night. It's great and everyone should check it out if they haven't already. The cast includes John Simm, Kelly Macdonald, Bill Nighy, and James McAvoy among others.

Here's Sepinwall's writeup.
As I sat through the six one-hour installments, I kept kicking myself for not popping the screener into my VCR back in 2004. Then I realized that, where I'm often jealous of people watching "Deadwood" or "The Shield" for the first time, for once I got to belatedly see a great piece of work through virgin eyes.

I hadn't seen it, so it was new to me. And it was fantastic. Better late than never.
More via the link.

gdt

Yeah, we did that tv rankings list about 2 years about. Unless I'm mistaken...Bernbaum made it. I think.

gdt

Boom, my memory is awesome.

It's a pretty solid list, aside from a few quirks. Sopranos is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too low, and because it was two years ago House and Dexter still have a spot, whereas Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Friday Night Lights do not. 24 is too high/doesn't deserve a spot either.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Went through all four seasons of Ugly Betty over the past month, wrapping up the final two episodes last night. Wasn't sure initially how well the show was going to work for me, but I got hooked pretty quickly, and despite the second and third seasons moving into increasingly shaky territory, the fourth season rebounds in a big way -- unusual for a series with one single-minded villain over its entire run and the expectation to always have crazier, more elaborate conflicts.

For a soapy, silly dramedy, there was an impressive amount of character development, continuity, and affecting storylines to along with all the scheming, romance, sarcastic barbs, and general lunacy. I had a great time getting attached to both the permanent cast and the rotating guests (who, conveniently enough, would usually be written out around the time I was getting tired of them, and the worthwhile ones continued to reappear throughout the seasons, even after looong absences), and many of the supporting players were given the best lines that had me genuinely laughing out loud at times. Admittedly, there's probably not much content-wise that would appeal to GAF dudes here (never been a lot of appreciation for stuff like Sex and the City, Project Runway or Queer As Folk in this thread, haha) but the camp, the comedy, and the clichés really hit my sweet spot (ooh, I still have the Marc and Amanda webisodes to watch!). I was totally meme-faced during the finale. Hopefully the rumored movie can actually happen!

Helmholtz

Been watching Boardwalk Empire season 2, which is ending next sunday I believe.
Incredible season of television, a big step up from season 1 (which was also pretty good I thought). Great acting, unpredictable twists, and some crazy ultra-violent moments.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Would anyone object if I made a thread just for the best TV shows of the year? We could try to do a GAFie awards next year around the Emmy's if there's enough interest.

Ashhong

Boom, my memory is awesome.

It's a pretty solid list, aside from a few quirks. Sopranos is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too low, and because it was two years ago House and Dexter still have a spot, whereas Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Friday Night Lights do not. 24 is too high/doesn't deserve a spot either.

Why the hell doesnt FNL have a spot 2 years ago??? Was season 3 not out?

edit: ah, I see it was made in May. Forgot when 3 came out...

Would anyone object if I made a thread just for the best TV shows of the year? We could try to do a GAFie awards next year around the Emmy's if there's enough interest.

It would be a great way to expand my horizon involving TV shows. Do it!

I wonder how high up American Horror Story will be?

ivysaur12

Banned
Ew.

If someone does a show of the year thread, make sure you emphasize "of the year" shows like Mad Men aren't eligible because they didn't air this year, I predict a lot of people would vote for it anyway without thinking.

Ratsky is going to do all time.

I'm going do shows that aired in the Emmy eligibility time frame next summer, which will allow people to vote for Mad Men.

TripOpt55

About halfway through Chuck Season 4. The last ep I watched was very good. Also just started Season 4 of Sons of Anarchy. They have been sitting on my DVR for a while, but haven't had the time for them, so going to try an catching up. Also trying to catch up on The Walking Dead Season 2. I think I finished five so far. Two left on the DVR.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Ratsky is going to do all time.

I'm going do shows that aired in the Emmy eligibility time frame next summer, which will allow people to vote for Mad Men.

Well, I was going to do a thread just for shows that aired this year, but I suppose if people want, I could do an all time list as well. Eventually.

So, my thread would be: shows that aired in 2011.

Your GAFie thread would be next Summer/Fall, and would include tv series/actors/directors/etc. the whole thing.

And then when I get the time, I could do a Best of All Time list.

You okay with that?

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, I was going to do a thread just for shows that aired this year, but I suppose if people want, I could do an all time list as well. Eventually.

So, my thread would be: shows that aired in 2011.

Your GAFie thread would be next Summer/Fall, and would include tv series/actors/directors/etc. the whole thing.

And then when I get the time, I could do a Best of All Time list.

You okay with that?

Let's do it.

SKINNER!

Banned
I just finished watching S2 of The Wire and, I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but I did not enjoy it as much as S1. Compared to S1, I was not addicted to S2 at all and certain parts of it just didn't appeal to me.
I was expecting more Stringer/Avon/The towers but ended up with some story about a disgruntled old policeman going after union workers in a dockyard. Even the whole "greek" thing wasn't interesting to me.
I plan on starting S3 this evening and then hopefully S4 and 5 during the xmas holidays.

Just a heads up that BBC America is showing the original UK "State of Play" miniseries tomorrow night. It's great and everyone should check it out if they haven't already. The cast includes John Simm, Kelly Macdonald, Bill Nighy, and James McAvoy among others.
This is on tonight.

Speaking of Top 10 lists, Poniewozik posted his this morning on Time.com:

10. Enlightened
9. The Good Wife
8. Community
7. Friday Night Lights
6. Homeland
5. Game of Thrones
4. Justified
3. Breaking Bad
2. Parks and Recreation
1. Louie

Hit the link for his discussion of why he picked these shows.

EDIT:
And finally, in no particular order–because alphabetization is hard–here is an entirely incomplete list of runners-up, which on another day might have made the list this year:

Archer
Modern Family
All-American Muslim
Boardwalk Empire
Downton Abbey
Wilfred
Awkward.
The Hour
Sons of Anarchy
Portlandia
Brick City
Treme
Up All Night
Revenge

EDIT2: He posted a few episodes, too:
Now, the short version of the list (but please read the full version for my explanations and praise):

1. Friday Night Lights, “Always”
2. The Office, “Goodbye, Michael”
3. Louie, “Duckling”
4. Breaking Bad, “Crawl Space”
5. Community, “Remedial Chaos Theory”
6. Parks and Recreation, “Fancy Party”
7. South Park, “You’re Getting Old”
8. Curb Your Enthusiasm, “Mister Softee”
9. Justified, “Bloody Harlan”
10. Game of Thrones, “Baelor”

And finally, a very incomplete–more or less off the top of my head–list of honorable mentions, in no particular order:

No Reservations, “Haiti”
Parks and Recreation, “Media Blitz,” “Harvest Festival,” “Li’l Sebastian”
Sons of Anarchy, “Hands”
Friday Night Lights, “Don’t Go,” “Texas Whatever”
Big Love, “Certain Poor Shepherds”
30 Rock, “TGS Hates Women”
No Reservations, “Haiti”
Bob’s Burgers, “Art Crawl”
Community, “Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking,” “Paradigms of Human Memory”
The Office, “Garage Sale”
Justified, “Reckoning,” “The Spoil”
Game of Thrones, “The Wolf and the Lion”
Louie, “Eddie,” “Country Drive,” “Subway/Pamela,” “Come On, God,” “Moving”–the bulk of the season, actually
Breaking Bad, “Box Cutter,” “Hermanos,” the entire last half of the season, pretty much
Modern Family, “See You Next Fall”
Fringe, “The Day We Died”
Jeopardy!’s Watson episodes
Homeland, “The Weekend”
Enlightened, “Consider Helen,” “Not Good Enough Mothers”

I just finished watching S2 of The Wire and, I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but I did not enjoy it as much as S1. Compared to S1, I was not addicted to S2 at all and certain parts of it just didn't appeal to me.
I was expecting more Stringer/Avon/The towers but ended up with some story about a disgruntled old policeman going after union workers in a dockyard. Even the whole "greek" thing wasn't interesting to me.
I plan on starting S3 this evening and then hopefully S4 and 5 during the xmas holidays.

Most people say that about season 2. I felt that way too at first but when I rewatched it I enjoyed it so much more surprisingly.

zero_suit

S2 is better the second time around.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Right. Got the thread made, but I'm gonna wait a little while and post it nearer to the end of the year. I want to give shows like Boardwalk Empire and Homeland (and Enlightened) time to conclude their seasons and stuff.

Jay Sosa

I just finished watching S2 of The Wire and, I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but I did not enjoy it as much as S1

Only in bizzaro world aka GAF. Everyone I know that has seen the show absolutely hates S2 (like me) and almost quit watching the show. In hindsight it's an important season but that doesn't make it less boring with one of the most annoying characters on TV ever.

Anyways..finished The Shield..what an awesome ending to an excellent show, thank god amazon had the complete box for like 50€ otherwise I'd probably never given it a chance (reall don't like Glenn Close but in this she was outstanding). The quality of acting is imho absolutely outstanding and the focus on different aspects of police work is really interesting and as far as I can tell well done.

TripOpt55

I just finished the first disc of Parks and Rec Season 2 which has been getting better. Still working on Chuck Season 4. I also just started watching Friday Night Lights Season 1 again. I have seen the whole series, but I found the S1 DVD for like $9 a little while back, but hadn't actually put any of the DVDs in. Anyway, I was just going to rewatch the pilot, but then all of the sudden I had watched the first four episodes. So good.

I really enjoyed Season 2 of The Wire. I honestly don't know why I watched it when I didn't really like Season 1 but what can I say? I got hooked. I'll probably continue on with the series eventually because of S2. Maybe it's because all the complicated drug selling methods combined with drugs in general was just over my head. I couldn't figure out what was going on most of the time or how the cops were figuring it out.

I really enjoyed Season 2 of The Wire. I honestly don't know why I watched it when I didn't really like Season 1 but what can I say? I got hooked. I'll probably continue on with the series eventually because of S2. Maybe it's because all the complicated drug selling methods combined with drugs in general was just over my head. I couldn't figure out what was going on most of the time or how the cops were figuring it out.
Buy a chess set. Its all explained with that.

Decided to give Deadwood another chance. I once saw the first season and a bit of the second 2 years back but I didn't really appreciate the show too much, since I didn't sit down and pay full attention to it. I'll be starting the pilot up soon.

TripOpt55

Just started watching Homeland. Something my brother told me to check out. Only watched two episodes, but it is pretty good so far.

bengraven

Doing a big Deadwood rewatch for the first time since the series ended.

I've seen the first season maybe 4-5 times and I can't believe I missed the obvious symbolism in Episode 4:

Wild Bill: The truth is, I'm tired Montana.
Seth Bullock: Turn in. I've got this from here.
Wild Bill: I believe I will.

Last words between them and then Bill is dead and Seth becomes the defacto guardian in town.

Yes, I just "spoilered" history, but don't know how far JoJo above got.

Drewsky

I started watching Terriers. I really like it. Sad that I won't get to see where they would have taken it if they had more than one season.

Don't read beyond this point if you haven't watched S4 of Breaking Bad or Terriers.

I'm sure this has been said a million times but it's funny how similar Ted's death was in Terriers and Breaking Bad. It was awesome though. "This dude's dead."

TripOpt55

Finished Chuck Season 4. Liked it, but thought one thing in particular was really stupid. I am missing the Season 5 premiere on my DVR. Anywhere I can see this? I was hoping to catch up before the finale.

Also nine episodes into Homeland. Pretty good so far.

And tonight I finally tried Netflix out, so I started Terriers, Louis and The Vampire Diaries (Ummm... I recall people saying this was good so I am trying it). Also, picking up where I left off on The Office. That one got away from me a couple of seasons ago.

Finished Chuck Season 4. Liked it, but thought one thing in particular was really stupid. I am missing the Season 5 premiere on my DVR. Anywhere I can see this? I was hoping to catch up before the finale.
The premiere was on NBC.com and Hulu for a while, but I think they took it down after about a month. I don't think you can legally stream it anywhere for free.
Just about to finish season 2 of the wire. Is the shield really that good of a show?
The Shield is great. Well worth your time.

D23

been watching breaking bad for the past week... finally caught up to season 4 now!!
wow this show is pretty damn good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom