• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tweets Claim Valve Removing Donation Links from Workshop Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
RJRmhQn.jpg

The scummiest.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's fascinating getting to watch all this happen live.

At little back story on what the outrage is about would help so we can get outraged.

Basically, Skyrim modders can now charge for Steam Workshop content, but they only get a 25% cut. Valve/Beth split the remaining 75%.

Maximo

What..Why ? I can understand the Payment on Mods but getting rid of Donations seems alittle weird. Was valve getting a cut from Donations ?

wrowa

I might miss the necessary context here, but if users are using Valve's infrastructure to distribute their content, then it's only fair that Valve also gets a cut if the users are making money with what they are offering on the Steam Workshop.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
What..Why ? I can understand the Payment on Mods but getting rid of Donations seems alittle weird. Was valve getting a cut from Donations ?

Nope. Just workshop sales.

I might miss the necessary context here, but if users are using Valve's infrastructure to distribute their content, then it's only fair that Valve also gets a cut if the users are making money with what they are offering on the Steam Workshop.
For sure. People are taking umbrage with the amount being 25%, though.

GHG

So can people not just keep their mods on nexus for free if they feel they would get more money that way?

If so I'm glad it's going down like this.

daninthemix

No one's disputing that. What they are disputing is the fairness of the percentage of the cut.

Juniez

Banned

the donation page is external to the content being offered. the link may lead to an externally hosted free version or just a tip jar but either way they wouldn't be using valve's infrastructure to distribute their content in that specific scenario

hamchan

It's fascinating getting to watch all this happen live.

Basically, Skyrim modders can now charge for Steam Workshop content, but they only get a 25% cut. Valve/Beth split the remaining 75%.

Whoa that's an outrageous cut and removing the donation links in case we'd prefer to give the modders 100% is pretty shit.

I think it's more that they used to offer the mods fro free, but you could donate if you felt like it. Now you can't receive donations so you either have to charge everybody and give 75% to Valve/Beth or not get anything at all. I guess people preferred the previous "honour" system,

I know fuck all about this so I'm probably way off.

Maximo

Nope. Just workshop sales.

For sure. People are taking umbrage with the amount being 25%, though.
Be really interested in hearing if this effects some Workshop creators, I don't know if the Donations were a big thing for them or not or will charging for their Content outweigh the loss in Donations. Not knowledgeable on Steam Workshop, Valves direction is..interesting.

What happened to you Valve? You used to be cool man. IMO Valve should be running this at cost, they got the cut they should be entitled to at purchase of the Base game. Bethesda are being greedy. Creators should get 60% at least.

Arrage

Banned
Hmm, so it's really Bethesda's greed?

I hope the next step in this "plan" isn't to start issuing takedowns to places outside the workshop, like Nexus.

Well, its more like Valve policy. All Steam workshop sales are split this way. Dota or CSGO skins are also 75% to Valve and only 25% to the creator.

Greedy Valve strikes again. They no longer surprise me. The amount of money going through those donations can't be that much. Why piss everyone off instead of just letting it ride? They constantly want more and more money but they can't even implement a proper customer support. SMH

People can still donate freely via links available an the Nexus, and they don't have to do anything through Steam Workshop, they can install mods manually. I don't really see the issue here.

Jindujun

Neo Member
Greedy Valve strikes again. They no longer surprise me. The amount of money going through those donations can't be that much. Why piss everyone off instead of just letting it ride? They constantly want more and more money but they can't even implement a proper customer support. SMH

In what way is this valve being greedy? If you have a storefront you wouldnt allow people to peddle their wares and then ask people to donate to them so they can use the convenience of your storefront without paying.

Besides, Bethesda are the ones that decided the cut percentage.

People can still donate freely via links available an the Nexus, and they don't have to do anything through Steam Workshop, they can install mods manually. I don't really see the issue here.
Racketeering is the issue.

Oh and game creators are now financially incentivised to lock mods to Steam now.

Jintor

I can't imagine that the damage to goodwill wouldn't be seen as huge compared to the potential cut. How many people are really ready to start paying for mods?

One day in and it already begins

There will be no other means than the workshop to install mods with the next bethesda game (not without a crack), if you think otherwise you are naive.
If you give any kind of shit about not turning modding distribution into a walled garden on pc then you will not support skyrim workshop.

First day of the slowmotion trainwreck, 'enjoy' watching it unfold live fellas, cya in 5 years when horse armor turns into dungeon keeper mobile

Morokh

Valves still has it's 'free mods' workshop where people can share mods for free, but when they have a donation link in their mod description it's removed.

Nothing fair about that.

Durante

An essential question here is whether this applies to free or only to paid mods. The former would indeed be reprehensible.

Bethesda and Valve get 75% for doing absolutely nothing?

Come on, how can anyone defend this? Just another desperate money grab to kill one of the last remaining instances of community-run content creations.

Here's what I imagine Bethesda's logic is.

Buying a copy of Skyrim does not give you the right to use it for profit. It's for personal use. Not business use. Same logic behind buying the licence rights to production software (personal vs business). There's literally no way they could have seen this coming, so the only way to get their fair share is via cuts of mod sales.

Additionally, the mod is worthless without their existing game. It is an extension of their existing software and code. Steam also feels entitled to a cut as the retailer who handles the transaction.

Hypothetically, they believe a mod sold elsewhere for the same price would do less than a fourth of the sales. Thus, the 25% cut is fair.

Is it actually? Time will tell. But I bet you that is the logic that led to that particular decision.

chocoedd

Bethesda and Valve get 75% for doing absolutely nothing?

Come on, how can anyone defend this? Just another desperate money grab to kill one of the last remaining instances of community-run content creations.

Isn't this called rent seeking economy? Profiting from somebody else's work?

daninthemix

There will be no other means than the workshop to install mods with the next bethesda game (not without a crack), if you think otherwise you are naive.

Yeah this is a real concern. Less openness, more control, more greed. Both Beth and Valve and co-conspirators in this.

Coxswain

An essential question here is whether this applies to free or only to paid mods. The former would indeed be reprehensible.

Yeah, that's my thought too. If it's a pay-only mod that's being distributed through Steam, and the modder is trying to backdoor the people who set up and own the infrastructure to do that, then I guess it's fair for Valve to go around removing "donation" links.

If it's being applied to mods that are being given away for free and the donations are actually just optional donations given freely by people who appreciate the work, then Valve really has no (moral) right to go kicking over the sandcastle.

I love Origin and GoG.
Fuck Uplay though.

At this rate, it won't be long until Steam ask for monthly subscription, right?

I doubt it. Especially if it was required to be paid in order to access your existing purchases. That'd probably be illegal (though hey, the precedent hasn't exactly been set for any of this shit).

If Steam offered a PSN Plus type service where they gave out 2+ games per month plus premium benefits & discounts, it would be a smash hit and we all know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom