• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD officially announced.

greg400

Banned
It will be embarrassing if this game isn't 1080p while looking like that. I honestly thought the first time they showed it was going to be the "before" then they were going to show the "after" version of the enhanced. Never happened

lewisgone

In tuned in late and the first thing I saw was the amiibo which made me roll my eyes a little, but I'm really happy to be able to play this game again in HD soon (even though I personally didn't think it looked that bad in SD). The game has a beautiful atmosphere, it's so nice to play. When I 100%'ed the Wii game I still played it sometimes, just because it's a great version of Hyrule to walk around. Lake Hylia in particular will be great in HD.

StevieP

Banned
That's not really where the bar is set for HD remakes. At least, not remakes by Nintendo. OoT3D and MM3D had every character model improved, every texture redrawn, dramatically improved lighting and other effects, and a substantial amount of new assets to fill in the environments. WWHD was considered a cheaper remake and it still had a huge overhaul to its lighting and general look.

This is the same game in HD (720p? 1080p?) with some modestly improved textures.

To say that it looks like Dolphin is being very generous. Dolphin is currently capable of way better- 4K resolution (or higher), 4xSSAA, ambient occlusion, 16x anisotropic filtering, bump mapping, and specular lighting. Seriously, look at this shit:
https://youtu.be/pOZNXvdXFaM?t=15m24s

It may be a fan mod with some rough edges, but it kicks the shit out of what Nintendo just offered us.

This isn't a remake

This is the same game in HD (720p? 1080p?) with some modestly improved textures.

To say that it looks like Dolphin is being very generous. Dolphin is currently capable of way better- 4K resolution (or higher), 4xSSAA, ambient occlusion, 16x anisotropic filtering, bump mapping, and specular lighting. Seriously, look at this shit:

It may be a fan mod with some rough edges, but it kicks the shit out of what Nintendo just offered us.
Guess I'll just play the 4K, 4xSAA, ambient occlusion, 16x anisotropic filetered, bump mapped, specular highlighed Dolphin version on my $249 PC. :p

I was expecting an upgrade similar to Wind Waker Hd.

Oh well, I'll just forget about it till it's released and reevaluate how I feel about it then.

While HD remasters like this are common for other games, I think people were expecting more based on Zelda's track record of drastically overhauling the visuals of OOT 3D, MM 3D and WW HD.

First two were complete remakes not remasters. WWHD's artstyle wasn't a drastic overhaul, its artstyle has held up over the years so it being translated to HD of course would look better in modern times than the blocky geometried realistic graphics of TPHD. I was hoping for alot more too but just the fact that I can play this without any fuzziness and with standard controls is enough for me.

munchie64

While HD remasters like this are common for other games, I think people were expecting more based on Zelda's track record of drastically overhauling the visuals of OOT 3D, MM 3D and WW HD.
Now that is fair. I do think people are overstating WW's changes though.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm still not into the whole Amiibo thing in the least, but I'll pick this up if I get a Wii U. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword are collectively the Triforce that is my favorite Zelda game, so it'll be great to revisit two thirds of that equation.

ozfunghi

It will be embarrassing if this game isn't 1080p while looking like that. I honestly thought the first time they showed it was going to be the "before" then they were going to show the "after" version of the enhanced. Never happened

Yup, me too... i was waiting for the upgrade, lol. But i was already looking at it /shakes fist.

Nerrel

Guess I'll just play the 4K, 4xSAA, ambient occlusion, 16x anisotropic filetered, bump mapped, specular highlighed Dolphin version on my $249 PC. :p

Hey, I didn't say it was cheap. I just wanted to make it clear to the people who keep saying it that Dolphin looks way better than this.

Steejee

I was expecting an upgrade similar to Wind Waker Hd.

Oh well, I'll just forget about it till it's released and reevaluate how I feel about it then.

Wind Waker HD didn't really have any texture or geometry updates. The style just lent itself very well to a HD revision.

Twilight Princess, being more realistic, doesn't scale up as easily.

That's fine by me. Textures and Geometry are two things that rarely bug me when playing Wii/GCN era games, it's mostly the resolution that gets to me.

tebunker

Banned
I am just interested in what Tantalus does with the "game improvements" that were spoken of.

I think that team did great stuff with Deus Ex on WiiU and I am hopeful they are taking this one and fixing a lot of the issues. Cause I don't have the time or patience to slog through TP again, I just ran out of endurance after awhile.

forrest

formerly nacire
Pre-Ordered through Amazon. Looks great! First product to make me want an Amiibo. I enjoyed the art style of TP and look forward to the HD version.

This game is still ugly.

Why did they heavily rework the graphics to the point that they made them worse in wind waker, but not overhaul the graphics on the Zelda that needs it more than any other? Baffling.

Got my pre-order in via Amazon.

I want more information about the improvements they have made to the game, and I'll cancel it if it's not up to snuff.

BY2K

Membero Americo
CTpap05W4AYJ1xT.jpg

CTpap07WIAAkHVs.jpg

There's actually quite a bit more detail here.

jett

D-Member
Did... did people forget what HD remasters are?

Wind Waker HD had an entirely new lighting, shading and shadowing. I guess this is below even meager expectations. Compared to WW, TP needed much more work than just this. I don't even know if these new and more detailed textures are an actual improvement. It just brings out the game's inherent ugliness. Could've used an artstyle change similar to Skyward Sword, like the Link render cruelly hinted at. As it is, this is definitely a quickie of a port.

Doesn't show up on desktop Amazon site for preorder.

Shows up on mobile, once I checkout, Amazon says it can't sell me the item and removes it from my cart.

WTF?

Edit: Damn, don't tell me it sold out. Guess i'll try Gamestop.

orborborb

This game better be at 1080p if it's going to look like that.

If your assets lack polygons and texture resolution, you want LOWER resolution not higher. If they came up with a nice 480p CRT visual emulation the game could still look good. To make it look good at 1080p would require a hundred million dollar budget.

Wind Waker HD didn't really have any texture or geometry updates. The style just lent itself very well to a HD revision.

Twilight Princess, being more realistic, doesn't scale up as easily.

That's fine by me. Textures and Geometry are two things that rarely bug me when playing Wii/GCN era games, it's mostly the resolution that gets to me.

All I'm saying is Wind Waker looks great in its new incarnation to me compared to its old version. This hd version isn't similar to my eyes.

Yoshi88

THIS? I am not buy physical! DD only.

Yes Shibata confirmed that in the EU Direct. Although i don't recall if it's being sold on the same day. Doubt that.

I'm quite content with the HD remake. Nothing major, but removing the heavy aliasing from Wii games and the really sharp textures go a long way. The scenes i saw, looked already a bit more vibrant to me. I look forward to diving into this great adventure again.

edit: jmizzal just reminded me, that Tantalus were the one who ported DE:HR to Wii U. So we're in for a treat either way. The did an awesome and outstanding job in porting DE in my eyes. (Not talking graphics here)

jmizzal

Wow I didn't even know they were showing the remastered version. The game looks the same. Does anyone know about the company doing the port? Still, the game was great once you get passed the filler.

They ported the best 3rd party game on WiiU Deus Ex HR Directors cut also Mass Effect 3 on WiiU

They are great at ports, the prob didnt get the budget to do a full remake, but I trust that it will be a great port with great gamepad controls full map, plus inventory, prob even more then WWHD

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I looked again at the footage (because the stream was really shaky at the beginning) and it looks good. There is quite an improvement over the original version. Of course, if you compare it to Dolphin modes and such might not look that way, but seeing what a pain in the ass is to make Dolphin run this decently on a very good PC, I would say that comparison is stupid.

I'm really curious what other changes are there and what amiibo do.

Well that was underwhelming. The texture upgrades were immediately apparent and welcome, but I guess I expected something closer to the new Link render that's been floating around, or the upgrades to be as substantial as the work done on OoT3D, MM3D, or WWHD.

I suppose this will be the most faithful version of vanilla Twilight Princess we'll get, if that's what you want. Every texture pack out there for Dolphin messes with original art style, and rendering at higher resolutions in Dolphin ruins the bloom effect and has a few other issues.

If you want a new experience, there's always this to look forward to...

Dolphin is currently capable of way better- 4K resolution (or higher), 4xSSAA, ambient occlusion, 16x anisotropic filtering, bump mapping, and specular lighting. Seriously, look at this shit:

Jarmel

Banned
If your assets lack polygons and texture resolution, you want LOWER resolution not higher. If they came up with a nice 480p CRT visual emulation the game could still look good. To make it look good at 1080p would require a hundred million dollar budget.

lol wut

Even if they redid this game from near scratch it wouldn't cost $100 million.

They're also using higher resolution textures so I don't even know what you're talking about.

Zetta

This news makes me extremely happy. I love Twilight Princess and Nintendo has finally gave me the title to buy myself a console. I'm in this from day one without a single doubt and I just can't wait to play it again.

Top Bottom