• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD officially announced.

StevieP

Banned
All I'm saying is Wind Waker looks great in its new incarnation to me compared to its old version. This hd version isn't similar to my eyes.

Twilight princess is and always will look like shit. All games that pin for "realism" do.Short of reworking everything slight improvements is all you can expect

Wind walker looked good at launch and it still does now because it's stylized

this is why people need to stop asking for the "realistic" art style and let stylization continue. It ages better

JimboJones

If your assets lack polygons and texture resolution, you want LOWER resolution not higher. If they came up with a nice 480p CRT visual emulation the game could still look good. To make it look good at 1080p would require a hundred million dollar budget.

There's always the gamepad screen lol

greg400

Banned
CTpefRFWIAAv2hs.jpg:large

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-twilight-princess-hd-vs-original-comparison/
Wii image was clearly taken from a heavily compressed video of it in 480i, horrible comparison

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Oh wow that's actually quite a big improvement. I guess I didn't notice at first because Twilight Princess is just naturally the ugliest Zelda and not even hugely improved textures can save it.

Yoshi88

RPGCrazied

You guys are crazy saying this looks bad. Its a remaster, not a remake. It will look loads better than the Wii version.

Anyway. Is the soundtrack a sampler, or the full OST? And who is Tantalus, what have they done before?

Paracelsus

Oh wow that's actually quite a big improvement. I guess I didn't notice at first because Twilight Princess is just naturally the ugliest Zelda and not even hugely improved textures can save it.

They actually do, because a realistic game needs good texturing, and Dolphin kinda fixed that. It's why Bethesda should just release wireframe games and let professionals do their mods like usual.

GRW810

Doesn't look great. The original game is fresh enough in my memory to not really need this remake. In fact, it's sitting on my shelf right now. I can pop it in the very same console as the remake and play through it again if I feel nostalgic.

Yarbskoo

Wii image was clearly taken from a heavily compressed video of it in 480i, horrible comparison

We probably won't get a very good comparison until we can have uncompressed full resolution screenshots of both versions. Let's not forget that one of the biggest improvements of an HD remaster is to actually render the game in an HD resolution, and a compressed image undoes some of the benefits of a sharper image.

KarmaCow

Much like WWHD I probably wont get this but I am curious on what changes they've made. Starting off with Amiibo shit isn't encouraging though.

Pinky

Banned
Well, the HD remaster does look better than the GC/Wii versions, but not by much. Still looking forward to it.

Griss

What I was looking forward to:

New lighting - nope.
New modes / gameplay changes - nope.
Placeholder game for this Christmas - nope.

Sorry, it's not enough to get me to buy back in at all. They spoiled us with OoT, MM and WW remakes. This one looks like an order of magnitude less effort was applied.

braves01

Banned
I'm in. I haven't played since after I finished Skyward Sword and needed a good Zelda game to wash out the taste of disappointment.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
After watching the video posted above, while still disappointed we're not getting a full remake, I can see there definite improvement. I guess I just forgot how ugly TP was.

Oh, and a word of warning to anyone planning on watching the video, beware of some of the worst dubstep ever.

greg400

Banned
We probably won't get a very good comparison until we can have uncompressed full resolution screenshots of both versions. Let's not forget that one of the biggest improvements of an HD remaster is to actually render the game in an HD resolution, and a compressed image undoes some of the benefits of a sharper image.
Yes but let's not kid ourselves here, people complaining about how Link's head was a blurry mop likely played the game in 480i with composite cables. The game looks substantially better than in that video. They literally downloaded a video that used YouTube's old compression then re-uploaded it, it's utterly worthless

Not

Banned
Laziest possible port they could've done, but as others have said, still better than playing Wii TP in SD on a modern TV.

Buying.

TP looked amazing and this will look good too just like for example Devil May Cry did again in HD. But speaking of which, the problem with a normal remaster is that a single game is way too little content for which usually comes in collections (for gen 6 games), even more so for a certainly high price.

I didn't liked the graphics... it seems like it's mostly mildly optimized backgrounds in a better resolution, nowhere near the same treatment Wind Waker got.

Still, is my second favorite 3D Zelda, after OoT. Perhaps I'll try, if they add new stuff.

Violet_0

Banned
is the amiibo exclusive to the bundle? I like TP but I completed it 100% and don't really need to replay it, I just want Wolf Link + Midna

Not_Mario

Neo Member
They actually do, because a realistic game needs good texturing, and Dolphin kinda fixed that. It's why Bethesda should just release wireframe games and let professionals do their mods like usual.

The problem is that it doesn't look like they updated any of the geometry here and Twilight Princess probably needed that almost as much as it needed updated textures. They textures here do look very nice but they're still wrapped around these horrible blocky models.
Nicer lighting like in Wind Waker HD might have helped as well.

EDIT: Even if they just brightened the colours a little bit it would look so much better and not all washed out. I've seen videos of people running TP on dolphin with better textures and brighter colours and the game looks actually kind of nice.

Shiggy

I love how the trees still look as ugly as they did in 2005. Wouldn't it have been relatively easy to replace at least the most outdated assets?

I don't even wanna imagine how badly the farm looks in 1080p.

TheJoRu

Not getting excited about a farmed out upres. I don't expect any gameplay enhancements either.

New lighting - nope.

Sorry, it's not enough to get me to buy back in at all. They spoiled us with OoT, MM and WW remakes. This one looks like an order of magnitude less effort was applied.

They specifically said they would share more info on gameplay changes later.

Red Devil

Not getting excited about a farmed out upres. I don't expect any gameplay enhancements either.

Eh, the so called "gameplay enhancements" of TWWHD were just a pair of tools and that's about it. That and there's really been a mixed reception of the OoT3D and MM3D "enhancements".

New lighting - nope.

New modes? TWWHD didn't have new modes. And they said they'll talk about the gameplay differencies later, game is still 4 months away.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just wanted better, high res, textures, particularly for Hyrule Field and Ordon Village. I could live with no improvements in actual geometry, but textures (and maybe lighting) were non-negotiable.

I think this is an olive branch to the fans because the next Zelda is skipping Wii U and going straight to NX.

Then Twilight Princess HD is an even bigger insult from Nintendo.

Missed it on Amazon despite refreshing the damn page nonstop for the last hour. Can't preorder this on Best Buy because their hidden placeholder date is Dec. 31st, 2016, six months after my card expires. Good job, idiots.

Top Bottom