• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has just banned Milo Yiannopoulos permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also have no ideas about GamerGate along with celebrity feuds. Avoid the gossip.

But god damn, let's stop harassing everyone.

CnxvOLSWIAAgkNV

Someone get me an appropriate gif. I'm on mobile.

Seems like it always comes down to "but free speech"

Like Twitter doesn't make you sign a EULA or anything

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Let's let them alone to die with their misguided opinions and not fall to their level.

Can you explain to me how people in this thread saying that Milo deserves to be banned is falling to the level of people who harass people over on Twitter? Because it might just be me, but those two things don't seem anywhere near similar.

remist

Wow, you sure did read through that twenty-eight thousand word summary of the actions of Milo's harassment campaign awfully quickly.
I must have missed that one. If you point it out to me I'll read it. Like I said I have no love for Milo, I just don't see any evidence of him directing a harassment campaign and I disagree that he should be held responsible for the behavior of every one of his followers unless he actually instigated them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cucked by Twitter?

If that's the case, and then that's what people want to know.

I mean it's good that he's banned, I have the misfortune of knowing his name.

But don't make up stuff.

I know that Twitter doesn't have to give evidence for their decisions.

If that's how they want to play it, then it's expected it will not go down well with some people.
The people it won't go down well with are the people Twitter honestly would be better off not having.

I find the people that bitch most about 'free speech' are the ones that tend to spew a lot of hateful shit.

Also have no ideas about GamerGate along with celebrity feuds. Avoid the gossip.

Come on now. If you have no idea about the subject matter at hand (and seemingly have no interest in learning, considering your proud repeat-proclamation of that fact), it's pretty rude to just jump in and accuse people of harassment.

Armaros

Can you explain to me how people in this thread saying that Milo deserves to be banned is falling to the level of people who harass people over on Twitter? Because it might just be me, but those two things don't seem anywhere near similar.

'both sides are the same, so I can lecture from an ivory tower because none of this affects me personally'

Is what happens.

Briarios

So, basically what you're saying is you don't have enough knowledge about the situation, but you're willing to sit in judgement of the situation? Maybe educate yourself a bit about his history -- he's not being harassed, he's being stopped from doing harm to people. That is noble, and, surprisingly, outweighs free speech.

The Kree

Banned

Tolerate my intolerance or else you're as intolerant as I am. That's the entire explanation. It's intellectual paralysis.

I dunno who this guy is but he sounds like a fucking cancer. Hopefully he crawls back into whatever asshole of the internet he came from.

I must have missed that one. If you point it out to me I'll read it. Like I said I have no love for Milo, I just don't see any evidence of him directing a harassment campaign and I disagree that he should be held responsible for the behavior of every one of his followers unless he actually instigated them.

He posted fake tweets of her making anti-Semitic statements.

He has done this before.

With the result being that the target of the fake tweet was harassed.

Milo is not an idiot, so the logical assumption is that he understands the end result of his behavior.

Breads

Banned
I just learned a new term: sea-lioning. I guess it is from this comic?

2014-09-19-1062sea.png

I see this sort of behavior all the time and I'm glad I have a word for it now.

Yep.

Being able to identify Sea Lioning, Concern Trolling, Virtue Signalling, and Signal Boosting tactics are a good way to filter out the good from the bad.

Stephen Colbert did the lord's work recently in trying to give a name to the plausible deniability tactics Trump employs - Trumpiness.

I've never heard of this milo fellow but I'm going to come into this thread and spend a dozen posts complaining about how he was unfairly banned.

Milo getting banned is a minor victory but it's likely they did it because of optics instead of any kind of principled stance against harassment. they would have to ban a lot of people and no on there wants to be seen as the person who pulled the trigger on losing so many users.

fastkilr said:
This is exactly what he wants.

All voices are necessary obviously. We can learn something from all of them.

And sometimes the lesson we learn from them is "hey, this person should really be banned from social media."

Lime

He should have been arrested by law enforcement already.

But I guess only social media threats count when it's police who's being harassed and threatened

Being banned from Twitter is the least amount of restorative justice that could happen

Gattsu25

Banned
Precieved hate campaign? He is a figurehead of GamerGate which is a hate campaign that has harassed, threatened violence, doxxing and swatting. He has outted people in his articles on Brietbart and social media, he has ruined many people's lives and is gleeful about it.

His awfulness goes well beyond GamerGate too, he's had many scandals already of harassing women. He's been doing this stuff for years. Maybe you need to be the one to do some research and not everyone else for you.

Remember the guy who invented an imaginary 'kill all men' feminist who was used as a strawman example of how terrible feminists were, who was the owner of such prestigious reddit communities:
NU2h9Ml.png

and who also got arrested for being an actual honest-to-god terrorist after he impersonated a "reasonable muslim who was indoctrinated by ISIS" in order to demonize muslims but accidentally shared his attack plans to an FBI informant?

Yeah, he was one of Milo's sources on a paper bag race test smear job against a BlackLivesMatter activist.

As soon as he got arrested for being an honest-to-god-terrorist, Milo went through his tweets with the guy and deleted them. lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
so someone with a PSNID: lolneogaf

just messaged me on PSN and referenced one of my posts in this thread. get a life weirdo. lol

It was obviously just a coincidence that she was flooded with pictures of gorillas at roughly the same time Milo was posting those fake tweets.

just messaged me on PSN and referenced one of my posts in this thread. get a life weirdo. lol
Yeah, that's apparently pretty common. I wonder if someone named Titanoboa on PSN is super confused? But hey, take it easy on lolneogaf. We have no evidence they did anything wrong, and it's important that we hear their voice.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
He should have been arrested by law enforcement already.

But I guess only social media threats count when it's police who's being harassed and threatened

Being banned from Twitter is the least amount of restorative justice that could happen

Exactly!

--

Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't the act of falsifying or photoshopped tweets deflamation of character? It's falsely painting her in a negative light to spur hate in her direction.

Maybe Leslie could take his ass to court for that on top of harassment?

I've gotten one of those too trying to spoil uncharted 4 after I said something about flag burning. They get triggered by things very easily and are cowards for not doing it on their actual neogaf account.

The moral is, you're a-okay as long as you avoid going after famous people.

Though in all seriousness given how limp-wristed Twitter has been regarding Milo's antics since GG onwards I don't think he was expecting or hoping for a punishment this harsh. He may still have Brietbart and KotakuInAction to fuck about in (under the impression he's more subtle on 8chan for legal reasons), but Twitter was easily his biggest exposure to people. The other platforms he has left are way too niche.

Still, regardless of his concern trolling about cultural leftism raping the internet in the surface, privately he's probably pretty pissed.

Armaros

GG is obsessed with GAF, every time I went to see a meltdown on their reddit there is always a thread about gaf.

They constantly have a meltdown thread whenever big GG threads become graveyards and then subsequently get locked. This was a while ago when GG threads were more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom