• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has just banned Milo Yiannopoulos permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even about 'silencing' Milo. It's about getting rid of a dangerous sociopath who is using Twitter to abuse people, going as far as propagating death threats. They didn't ban him for his opinion. They banned him for being a threat to their growth, by him being a danger to other people.

There's a reason why almost every other conservative commentator hasn't had any issues with Twitter and that's because they largely don't initiate harassment.

To suggest that Twitter just decided to single out Milo because he's conservative or a gay conservative and has strong views is just silly.

then I'm hoping Twitter doesn't stop with milo.

this is the biggest problem with this. they only banned milo because he harassed the wrong person not because he's a serial harasser. there's no reason to believe twitter is going to take out the trash since it would severely impact their usage numbers.

_Ryo_

Twitter isn't a public forum or a right bestowed upon every citizen. It is a business and as long as they are not disallowing use of their service based upon race, gender, sexual preference, religion or any other protected status, they have every right to deny people who break their terms of agreement or disallow hate speech and other such bullshit on their service.

You have free speech, it is true. But you also have to face the consequences of such.

Getting really tired of people pretending that organizing harassment is a legitimate form of discussion that needs to be respected. Leslie was the one who was "silenced" when she had to get off of twitter because of the racist and sexual abuse.

GolazoDan

The whole idea that banning him from a website constitutes "silencing him" is bizarre. A recurring theme in this entire discussion seems to be a massive misinterpretation of what free speech involves, if you even choose to invoke that right on an international website like Twitter. He hasn't been banned for bad opinions. He's been banned for doing the equivalent of walking into a local shop and shitting on the floor.

The whole idea that banning him from a website constitutes "silencing him" is bizarre. A recurring theme in this entire discussion seems to be a massive misinterpretation of what free speech involves, if you even choose to invoke that right on an international website like Twitter. He hasn't been banned for bad opinions. He's been banned for doing the equivalent of walking into a local shop and shitting on the floor.

also he's employed by a relatively popular website so his voice has a lot more reach than the average person.

this is the biggest problem with this. they only banned milo because he harassed the wrong person not because he's a serial harasser. there's no reason to believe twitter is going to take out the trash since it would severely impact their usage numbers.

And it won't make much difference. I'm glad they did it. But scum like this comes back, personally or through proxies, and when so many people respond to things they don't like by referring and tagging harassment spearhead figures just to instigate this kind of thing, then it's obvious the problem is much, much bigger than Milo.

Beefy

That's the only problem I have with him getting banned. So many other people get far more abuse but yet nothing is done. As you said Milo just did it to the wrong person.

low-G

I also think harassment and organizing attacks should be the litmus test for these bans. There is an extent which it is OK to have a shitty opinion... Having a shitty opinion is far too fuzzy of a test. When does an opinion become shitty?

Harassing & threatening other users is actively damaging the enjoyment of other users though, so permaban all those people.

Twitter is really soft on threats too, for some reason. It should be one strike, you're gone for good. (and personal info forwarded to authorities)

EmSeta

Milo is not silenced, Milo has just been kicked off Twitter. Twitter is not a right.

Is anyone suggesting that it's a legal matter? Defending decisions by saying "look, it's a private company, they're legally entitled to it!" is just as stupid in this instance as when gamergaters use it to justify sexist and inappropriate video games.

Just because an action is legal doesn't mean the public shouldn't voice its opinion about the perceived hypocracy of it's enforcement.

Is anyone suggesting that it's a legal matter? Defending decisions by saying "look, it's a private company, they're legally entitled to it!" is just as stupid in this instance as when gamergaters use it to justify sexist and inappropriate video games.

Just because an action is legal doesn't mean the public shouldn't voice its opinion about the perceived hypocracy of it's enforcement.

he's a serial harasser who doxxed and outed people. this isn't about offensive speech it is about harmful speech.

which is a point you have conveniently ignored.

Armaros

Just like how you ignored why he was banned.

He isnt banned for his opinion.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Do you understand that harassment and opinion are not the same thing?

EmSeta

he's a serial harasser who doxxed and outed people. this isn't about offensive speech it is about harmful speech.

which is a point you have conveniently ignored.

Is that really the reason though? You might be right, in which case I concede. But judging from reactions in this thread, a lot of people are celebrating this ban for different reasons.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

"The public" can "voice" whatever they want, but don't expect any private platform to allow their bullshit on their doorsteps. If Twitter isn't happy with how Milo addresses its users, how he keeps starting racist and misogynistic tirades and actively making Twitters audience uncomfortable and leave, then he has absolutely no right to expect to be allowed on there. And I sure hope many others will follow.

How it this so hard to understand, does someone have to pull out that first amendment comic again?

Edit: Alright, after your latest post about "a lot of people" you're clearly just trolling. Have fun with that, pal.

EmSeta

"The public" can "voice" whatever they want, but don't expect any private platform to allow their bullshit on their doorsteps. If Twitter isn't happy with how Milo addresses its users, how he keeps starting racist and misogynistic tirades and actively making Twitters audience uncomfortable and leave, then he has absolutely no right to expect to be allowed on there. And I sure hope many others will follow.

How it this so hard to understand, does someone have to pull out that first amendment comic again?

Edit: Alright, after your latest post about "a lot of people" you're clearly just trolling. Have fun with that, pal.

What?

Is that really the reason though? You might be right, in which case I concede. But judging from reactions in this thread, a lot of people are celebrating this ban for different reasons.

he's been temp banned in the past for the same behavior. the only reason it was permanent this time is because he did it to a popular celebrity. which is a bad PR look for twitter. that's the real reason he was banned. which is shitty for a lot of reasons. but one of those reasons is not that he was silenced. he should have been permanently banned 2 years ago along with every other piece of shit in gamergate.

also, what are other reasons are people celebrating for?

Dude it's in the article linked in the OP

According to the company, Yiannopoulos’s permanent suspension isn’t a matter of speech as much as a matter of behavior — specifically, a violation of Twitter’s rules regarding the targeted abuse of specific users.

Milo painted targets for his horde of followers to harass. That is something he has done repeatedly.

And no shit people are happy he's lost his platform of choice; just because there's a lot of hate remaining on Twitter doesn't mean it's wrong to get rid of a signal-boosting focal point for it all.

People keep talking about his silencing people with the "wrong" opinions, but that's not what happened. What happened was somebody being banned for brigading and faking tweets to fan the flames.

Jesus christ, Twitter isn't going to start banning racists, they'd lose half their users.

It's like you haven't even read the article. Also how is the reasons people celebrate the ban relevant at all to the reason he was banned? People can be glad a bigot was banned because his opinions sucked, even if his opinion weren't the reason he was banned.

People can celebrate for whatever fucking reason they want. It doesn't make that retroactively the reason he was banned.

People are celebrating because the man is human garbage, plain and simple. That reaction is separate and distinct from Twitter banning him because he was using their platform to orchestrate racist and sexism harassment.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

You gotta start somewhere...people always want Twitter to take actions but when they do it the response is always..." but what about..."

You gotta start somewhere...people always want Twitter to take actions but when they do it the response is always..." but what about..."

except they're reluctantly taking action after 2 years of this idiot's bullshit. so i'm not exactly optimistic that this signals any kind of shift in the way they handle harassment.

I'm pretty sure he was banned for breaking the terms of service, not for his opinions.

_Ryo_

I find it really strange that conservatives and libertarians are all about businesses being able to deny anyone they want from using their services but when they're denied from using it it's "I'm being discriminated against, they're trying to silence me!"

total hypocrisy.

Also what has been said again and again, Milo was banned for harassment and abuse and perpetuating likewise, not because he has dumb ideas. It's when those ideas manifest into harmful action that something needs to be done about it, and Twitter did so. Simple as.

Akainu

I keep seeing this alt-right thing being thrown around and looking it up, how is it any different from what they already believe? Or is it used because it's more out there now?

Oersted

Fair-enough. There's a trend with the concern-talking through to today, just rubs me the wrong way knowing I was saying the same stuff during that period. Hell even being on /v/ it was hard to follow since moot was pretty fast on getting mods to delete threads about it before he later went more public about why GG was a banned topic. I was more interested in the Smash 4 leak that was happening around the same time, so I just figured it was random drama I didn't pay close attention to.

With randomly disappearing threads on a ton of different forums, journalists initially staying quiet, /pol/ and /v/ spamming the topic throughout 4chan, a ton of random opportunistic YouTubers making 'drama' videos about it and all the Twitter stuff, any outsider who wasn't closely engaged with it one way or the other would have trouble making heads or tails out of just what the fuck was happening.

By the time Quinn leaked those IRC chats leaked a month afterwards I realized GG was total bullshit, but beforehand as someone just trying to parse what was even happening proper, no, it wasn't common knowledge what GG was. Doesn't help there wasn't really any frame of reference for something like it either.

Totalbiscuit made that blogpost after Totilo clarified that Gamergate is based on a lie.
And you didn't even need him for that, it was something you could have figured out after 10 seconds on Google.

And Gamergate started off as a harassment campaign. He could have noticed.

Gattsu25

Banned
I keep seeing this alt-right thing being thrown around and looking it up, how is it any different from what they already believe? Or is it used because it's more out there now?

Similar but with different tactics. Bigger reliance on social media and overt racism.

besada

Banned
He wins either way. Stays on Twitter and continues his campaign of violent rhetoric against those he doesn't like or banned and becomes a martyr for his demented cause. Your argument here is seriously flawed.
The unfalsifiable argument is the domain of the troll. No matter what happens, you claim that you won and it's what you wanted all along. And it's almost true, because what you really wanted was for someone to pay attention to you, because you're a sad sack of shit who can only feel good when others feel bad.

Gattsu25

Banned
He wins either way. Stays on Twitter and continues his campaign of violent rhetoric against those he doesn't like or banned and becomes a martyr for his demented cause. Your argument here is seriously flawed.

One of those results in him losing his biggest advertising platform, though.

Yes, Twitter banned him for organizing harassment. You don't get banned from Twitter for having a "different" opinion, whatever that might mean. Just look at all the harassment, racism, sexism and other terrible stuff people post on it.

Basically Libertarians who realised that it was not only lack of core religious right values that was keeping them from having any influence but they also needed to say words like cuck and tranny a lot. Basically they are clowns, but clowns like ICP not circus clowns.

The unfalsifiable argument is the domain of the troll. No matter what happens, you claim that you won and it's what you wanted all along. And it's almost true, because what you really wanted was for someone to pay attention to you, because you're a sad sack of shit who can only feel good when others feel bad.

He absolutely didn't win, however smug he wants to appear. He'll trend for a couple of days and then the internet will move on to the next thing. And then he'll have to make his way without access to the major internet communications platform. His college speaking tours are done after this. He'll be a conservative martyr for some, but he's both too toxic and too not straight and manly for any mainstream acceptance there, especially as he's attached to everything party leadership is going to try and set on fire after this election. This is him peaking.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you've spent any time on Twitter, you know it's filled to the BRIM with kooks who spread their hateful options, many of them much worse than Milo. I'm talking bona fide nazis, racists and other scum commenting on tweets right and left.

Banning Milo is setting a strange precedent. So crazy kooks get to use twitter, but once they amass a certain number of followers, they get banned? I'm not saying both sides are "the same". I believe my side to be right. But I don't want to silence the side I think is wrong. It's that simple.

It's not that they're nazis or racists, it's that they're harassing the hell out of someone in a very public way. In Milo's case this was his third ban for the same offence. Again, we're not talking about someone tweeting about how they don't like brown people, we're talking about an actual gang of people spamming the hell out of someone with racist invective AND posting edited screenshots to make her look homophobic. Milo's position is "LOL death threats? Everyone gets them, put up with it." His actual literal position is that death threats are normal but caring about them is not.

FyreWulff

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's wrong to try to silence people you disagree with. Twitter is a platform for all kinds of morons, and I don't like the idea of starting a purge of people with controversial opinions.

I shouldn't even have to forcefully disown Milo's opinions (which I still do), in order to defend his ability to communicate his opinions publically, like any other moron out there.

If you've spent any time on Twitter, you know it's filled to the BRIM with kooks who spread their hateful options, many of them much worse than Milo. I'm talking bona fide nazis, racists and other scum commenting on tweets right and left.

Banning Milo is setting a strange precedent. So crazy kooks get to use twitter, but once they amass a certain number of followers, they get banned? I'm not saying both sides are "the same". I believe my side to be right. But I don't want to silence the side I think is wrong. It's that simple.

But this wasn't a one off with Milo. He's had multiple warnings before directly from Twitter.

Also, Twitter is a private company hosted on private servers, the faster people figure out the first amendent doesn't protect you from companies no longer subsidizing your speech on their dime is when people figure out how the 1st actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom