• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter has just banned Milo Yiannopoulos permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

fuck the alt-right, fuck milo. Internet bullies are bullies all the same. In a physical space, defending a bully's right to abuse others would earn you scorn, but somehow, these libertarians believe that defending their right to abuse others in an online space makes them some paragon of virtue. Like, I'm so virtuous, that I can bear the guilt of allowing others to take abuse.

Add to that, the only defense they can mount for their speech is that they are free to say it. Their arguments themselves have precisely zero merit.

IrishNinja

He leveraged the RNC for attention and there's been a Twitter shitstorm that's seen some surprising names like Notch & Palmer Lucky in his corner.

Wouldn't say surprising, more like disappointing. They have a reputation.

i don't know palmer, but notch is a known wasteman, absolutely nothing surprising about him riding for garbage

Looking back, looks like wikileaks and Palmer Luckey (Oculus VR) are Milo sympathizers and altright clowns.

wikileaks continuing its trend of transparency, only not in the way they intended

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why is this thread so huge?

other than some MRA cunt being banned, did something happen, can't scroll through 30 pages.

The truth is, and it's sad to admit.... Milo is a major figure in mid 2010s culture.

He's a cunt. But though we on GAF treat him as if he's some unmentionable monster, he has a lot of traction in some surprisingly mainstream circles. He's on British TV. He makes guest appearances on multiple podcasts. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he were being sought out as a sitting pundit for Fox News, as someone suggested awhile back. I think he has far more populist appeal than Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh.

Him getting banned was a moment in the modern culture war. I wonder if he'll be stifled by losing his twitter army, or if this is a milestone onward to bigger things......

Bold One

He leveraged the RNC for attention and there's been a Twitter shitstorm that's seen some surprising names like Notch & Palmer Lucky in his corner.

Looking back, looks like wikileaks and Palmer Luckey (Oculus VR) are Milo sympathizers and altright clowns.

The truth is, and it's sad to admit.... Milo is a major figure in mid 2010s culture.

He's a cunt. But though we on GAF treat him as if he's some unmentionable monster, he has a lot of traction in some surprisingly mainstream circles. He's on British TV. He makes guest appearances on multiple podcasts. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he were being sought out as a sitting pundit for Fox News, as someone suggested awhile back. I think he has far more populist appeal than Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh.

Him getting banned was a moment in the modern culture war. I wonder if he'll be stifled by losing his twitter army, or if this is a milestone onward to bigger things......

jLh0VcM.jpg

Maybe in some circles. I can guarantee 99% of people don't know him.

Maybe in some circles. I can guarantee 99% of people don't know him.
Yeah that comment kinda reminds me of whenever GG comes up GAF assumes the entire world knows what that is. In that case, most internet savvy people I know who are still fairly into gaming assumed it started and died in 2014, and the few GG-tied news events like Alison Rapp or that Derek Smart/Star Citizen debacle last year were completely unrelated.

In the case of Milo, I doubt they know he existed beyond 'conservatives on Twitter is complaining a conservative shock jock got banned for harassing a GB actress'. UK his recognition is probably helped a bit more by his previous work pushing against gay marriage on TV. I actually think I first heard of him through a Stephen Fry quip (who was obviously on the exact opposite of that debate) calling him a 'cynical cunt'.

That being said I have a bit of a skewered perspective being in Australia; I doubt your average Aussie knows of any American conservative pundits beyond maybe Bill O'Riley. 'Alt right' probably isn't even a term that exists to them. Yet our news still has a big focus on the American election.

Don't worry guys/girls Keemstar is on Milo's side. We all know how great Keemstar is.... :)
Honestly it'd be more likely Milo would denounce Keemstar than the other way around. Also, still fucking verified on Twitter despite blatantly swatting and doxxing several random people for no reason.

In that sense I agree with people saying Milo wasn't remotely the worst person on Twitter violating their ToS and he got 'made an example of' (with uh, seemingly little follow through for similar types), but that's not a compelling argument for why he himself shouldn't have been booted in this particular case. The dude himself was purposely dancing on that line so he could gain sweet notoriety points.

Milo has been exposed countless times and yet he still keeps spouting nonsense and gaining new fans. These people don't care about reasons they only care if you hate feminism and diversity and hate censorship. He fabricated tweets that Leslie didn't make so he can manipulate her. He had to go.

I'm going to be a bit pessimistic here, but as some insightful people on Twitter (bboyzilla, tauriq moosa, shanley) was saying, this article erases the victims and provides a platform to an abuser who in turn gets humanized and fawned over. The ability to be a well-known white lady in the writing world and a white person at the RNC AND to write an empty story about it and "getting to know the softer sides of men who have targeted women and driven women of color off platforms and employment."

Just something I thought to bring into the reading of the article.

While I don't agree necessarily, I read Shanley's objections and I do understand where she's coming from. If I'd been a target of Milo's I'd have been spitting in his face rather than riding around with his entourage, so the reaction is totally justified in my book. As someone who has not had my life fucked about by that shitstain, I do feel that the piece has merit because it serves to summarise the bullshit that anyone paying attention to politics on social media already understands, which is at least useful for allies who might not be as aware of what is really happening.

Well never mind then. If civil discourse is again going to make me a target, and disagreement is perceived as outrage and have me made fun of by mods, I won't entertain it any further.

Lime

Well never mind then. If civil discourse is again going to make me a target, and disagreement is perceived as outrage and have me made fun of by mods, I won't entertain it any further.

Disagreement perceived as outrage? Get out of here with this bullshit. Your modus operandi has been throughout the years pretty evident and with your recent defense of Sargon and now this thread on Milo, you have to start listening to the criticisms and take in how you are constantly allying yourself with the talking points of the alt right. Case in point:

I don't like digging up old posts, but your recent opinion with Sargon and now this just makes me disappointed that your contributions to threads like this one have hardly changed.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
what just happened

Scoobidoo posted a lengthy post, basically asking for proof of the "alleged" Milo posts, then probably saw his user title edit and edited the whole thing into "oh why poor me".

At least that's the last few minutes in here, I suspect that's what you're asking for?

edit: ofc talking about the Leslie photoshop posts

Hackworth

Disagreement perceived as outrage? Get out of here with this bullshit. Your modus operandi has been throughout the years pretty evident and with your recent defense of Sargon and now this thread on Milo, you have to start listening to the criticisms and take in how you are constantly allying yourself with the talking points of the alt right. Case in point:

I don't like digging up old posts, but your recent opinion with Sargon and now this just makes me disappointed that your contributions to threads like this one have hardly changed.
A7L0jaA.png

I wonder why that guy isn't still arrested for doxxing and harassing people.
Just a prank, bro!

Internet stuff still isn't taken very seriously by police all the time. Really some examples should be made and dragging people like that to court and have them pay a large fine.

I can agree with stuff like the Sargon BLM post being dumb given how late into this game we are and how it's pretty blatant the dude is simply concern trolling for patreon cash, but that TB blogpost is right from the beginning of GG when nobody outside of those being attacked and those doing the attacking had any real clue what the fuck was happening. There's a *lot* of posters in that thread agreeing with his sentiments who'd go back on that mindset, and on the surface without having the foresight of just what GG would be, I don't think it's all that damning a thing to see.

Same thing with the Sommer's post where nobody outside of social science/studies/justice groups were going to be remotely familiar with her. I uh, actually think you got temp'd when responding to a post of mine where I asked who she was way back in late '14 actually.

At this point there shouldn't remotely be any confusion over what GG was, but dredging up posts from nearly two years ago for a gotcha! moment seems unfair, given the context. You can do the exact same thing from my posts during that time period and find me similarly on the fence about it for a couple months, despite it being obvious what my opinion is on all this now.

Just a prank, bro!

Internet stuff still isn't taken very seriously by police all the time. Really some examples should be made and dragging people like that to court and have them pay a large fine.
The sad thing is, if GG was originally targeting a famous actress, it would've probably lasted a couple weeks max before most social media platforms would squash it. The instant notoriety would've also probably stopped some of the more mainstream pundits from jumping on the bandwagon too, instead of it just being some random indie developer few had heard of even within the industry.

While it was pretty obvious what his opinion on this stuff was its good to have it backed up.

Lime

@dicks ahoy: Like I said, it's the whole Sargon stuff last week and now Milo. The Call of Duty thing was even in November last year. I had hoped scoobidoo112 had changed the parroting of alt-right talking points since 2 years ago, but I was disappointed to see that this wasn't the case.

Oersted

I can agree with stuff like the Sargon BLM post being dumb given how late into this game we are and how it's pretty blatant the dude is simply concern trolling for patreon cash, but that TB blogpost is right from the beginning of GG when nobody outside of those being attacked and those doing the attacking had any real clue what the fuck was happening. There's a *lot* of posters in that thread agreeing with his sentiments who'd go back on that mindset, and on the surface without having the foresight of just what GG would be, I don't think it's all that damning a thing to see.

Same thing with the Sommer's post where nobody outside of social science/studies/justice groups were going to be remotely familiar with her. I uh, actually think you got temp'd when responding to a post of mine where I asked who she was way back in late '14 actually.

At this point there shouldn't remotely be any confusion over what GG was, but dredging up posts from nearly two years ago for a gotcha! moment seems unfair, given the context. You can do the exact same thing from my posts during that time period and find me similarly on the fence about it for a couple months, despite it being obvious what my opinion is on all this now.

The sad thing is, if GG was originally targeting a famous actress, it would've probably lasted a couple weeks max before most social media platforms would squash it. The instant notoriety would've also probably stopped some of the more mainstream pundits from jumping on the bandwagon too, instead of it just being some random indie developer few had heard of even within the industry.

It was known from the very beginning that Gamergate was a targeted harassment campaign based on a blatant lie.

dity

This is absolutely #savage.

EmSeta

I don't know what's worse, Milo's ridiculous opinions, or the zealous masses hungering for silencing all dissenting voices. Poxes on both of your houses.

@dicks ahoy: Like I said, it's the whole Sargon stuff last week and now Milo. The Call of Duty thing was even in November last year. I had hoped scoobidoo112 had changed the parroting of alt-right talking points since 2 years ago, but I was disappointed to see that this wasn't the case.
Fair-enough. There's a trend with the concern-talking through to today, just rubs me the wrong way knowing I was saying the same stuff during that period. Hell even being on /v/ it was hard to follow since moot was pretty fast on getting mods to delete threads about it before he later went more public about why GG was a banned topic. I was more interested in the Smash 4 leak that was happening around the same time, so I just figured it was random drama I didn't pay close attention to.

It was known from the very beginning that Gamergate was a targeted harassment campaign based on a blatant lie.
With randomly disappearing threads on a ton of different forums, journalists initially staying quiet, /pol/ and /v/ spamming the topic throughout 4chan, a ton of random opportunistic YouTubers making 'drama' videos about it and all the Twitter stuff, any outsider who wasn't closely engaged with it one way or the other would have trouble making heads or tails out of just what the fuck was happening.

By the time Quinn leaked those IRC chats leaked a month afterwards I realized GG was total bullshit, but beforehand as someone just trying to parse what was even happening proper, no, it wasn't common knowledge what GG was. Doesn't help there wasn't really any frame of reference for something like it either.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yep, but your "right thing" is giving his "toxi poison" confirmation bias.

So if the choice is Milo wins by having a platform or Milo wins by being denied a platform, Milo always wins. But another way of looking at this might be to look at what he and his followers are asking for: his followers are asking for him to be unbanned and expressing concern that they are banned, and he petitioned the White House to investigate Twitter when he lost his verification checkmark, before changing his name to add a unicode checkmark. Therefor it seems obvious that they prefer him on Twitter and verified to deverified and off Twitter, as a result confirming that the punishment is understood as a punishment even if they then try to manipulate it into a win. Regardless, for Leslie Jones, it ultimately doesn't matter if Milo gains influence or not, it matters if he is prevented from making her life hell in a direct and personal way, which he was by this punishment.

Oriel

Yep, but your "right thing" is giving his "toxi poison" confirmation bias.

He wins either way. Stays on Twitter and continues his campaign of violent rhetoric against those he doesn't like or banned and becomes a martyr for his demented cause. Your argument here is seriously flawed.

AnGer

Question to those who are familiar with US law: Does the 1st Amendment have any limitations in its application? I know that here in Germany, Article 5 Grundgesetz (i.e. German constitution), it is specifically stated that free speech is limited by various laws (both civil and criminal), so I was wondering if there are similar limitations in the US (apart from the Miller Test and libel lawsuits).

Question to those who are familiar with US law: Does the 1st Amendment have any limitations in its application? I know that here in Germany, Article 5 Grundgesetz (i.e. German constitution), it is specifically stated that free speech is limited by various laws (both civil and criminal).

Well, embargos would kind of suck if there was truly free speech.

But yes it is limited. What likely would be different than in Germany is that I believe that the US doesn't have something for hate speech. Something like threats would still be illegal though.

EmSeta

Ah yes, the "both sides are as bad as each other" argumemt. Good Christ!

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's wrong to try to silence people you disagree with. Twitter is a platform for all kinds of morons, and I don't like the idea of starting a purge of people with controversial opinions.

I shouldn't even have to forcefully disown Milo's opinions (which I still do), in order to defend his ability to communicate his opinions publically, like any other moron out there.

If you've spent any time on Twitter, you know it's filled to the BRIM with kooks who spread their hateful options, many of them much worse than Milo. I'm talking bona fide nazis, racists and other scum commenting on tweets right and left.

Banning Milo is setting a strange precedent. So crazy kooks get to use twitter, but once they amass a certain number of followers, they get banned? I'm not saying both sides are "the same". I believe my side to be right. But I don't want to silence the side I think is wrong. It's that simple.

I don't know what's worse, Milo's ridiculous opinions, or the zealous masses hungering for silencing all dissenting voices. Poxes on both of your houses.

I know what's worse. Absolutely asinine both sides arguments such as yours.

Edit:

Twitter is a platform for all kinds of morons, and I don't like the idea of starting a purge of people with controversial opinions.

Twitter is a platform for what Twitter decides. Not some right established to all people.

Oriel

Question to those who are familiar with US law: Does the 1st Amendment have any limitations in its application? I know that here in Germany, Article 5 Grundgesetz (i.e. German constitution), it is specifically stated that free speech is limited by various laws (both civil and criminal), so I was wondering if there are similar limitations in the US (apart from the Miller Test and libel lawsuits).

Freedom of speech is far freer than in other countries but still has a limit. Let's see how someone calling for the assassination of Obama or Clinton gets on.

BTW, there's no such thing as free speech on private online forums. Either they abide by the TOS or go somewhere else, a fact seemingly lost to those Alties as they whinge about theit right to free speech being curbed.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's wrong to try to silence people you disagree with. Twitter is a platform for all kinds of morons, and I don't like the idea of starting a purge of people with controversial opinions.

I shouldn't even have to forcefully disown Milo's opinions (which I still do), in order to defend his ability to communicate his opinions publically, like any other moron out there.

If you've spent any time on Twitter, you know it's filled to the BRIM with kooks who spread their hateful options, many of them much worse than Milo. I'm talking bona fide nazis, racists and other scum commenting on tweets right and left.

Banning Milo is setting a strange precedent. So crazy kooks get to use twitter, but once they amass a certain number of followers, they get banned? I'm not saying both sides are "the same". I believe my side to be right. But I don't want to silence the side I think is wrong. It's that simple.

This isn't about his opinions. It's about being the ringleader for multiple harassment campaigns.

Pizoxuat

I was unaware that photoshopping someone's tweets to make it appear that they said racist things they never said and posting them to provoke your 300,000 followers into sending a deluge of unending racist and sexist hate against someone was a "controversial opinion."

Oriel

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's wrong to try to silence people you disagree with.

No, it's about silencing assholes who make other peoples lived hell and harass individuals in the real world. I'm done trying to explain this very simple point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom