• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two areas in Witcher 3 are 3.5x larger than entire Skyrim

I have doubts that The Witcher 3 will truly be THAT much bigger than Skyrim.

I'm very excited for the game, but I still get that "too good to be true" vibe and I still worry that the game may be too ambitious for its own good.

They are saying the landscape is bigger, not that the game is bigger. The Witcher 3 is being promoted as a 100 hour game (and that's if you do everything), Skyrim is 300 hours if you don everything. So it isn't really bigger.

Am I reading this right, they made a city that is bigger than the entire map of Skyrim? That's insane lol

Yeah that's what i'm trying to figure out!
No, the whole map, including forests, water and non-tranversable area.
The city alone isn't that big.
AFAIK This is the one of the height maps (very early prototype, colors are wrong):
terrain20uu0f.png

(from the GDC slides)

Virdix

I dont remember the link/source but I read an article where they talked about how it's not all handcrafted but they were making sure that rhwre was always something to do or investigate over the hill, whether it be friendly or not.

Also, this is there sendoff to Geralt, the last of his trilogy. I have absolute and biased faith that CDPR is going to send him off the best they can.

On my phone right now, gonna try and track down that article.

Edit: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/life-in-the-open-world-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/1100-6418394/ "Part of this involves making it possible to travel to points of interest, such as mountains in the distance. "It is actually a mountain," Platkow-Gilewski continues. "You can climb there and go there. And for sure, there will be something interesting. We are not painting anything on the horizon.""
There it is.

So everybody calm down :)

Calabi

Fast travel completely destroys the sense of scale and place.

Suddenly distances matters not at all.

I'd agree with that, you just end up with huge spaces you never go to. It never feels like a large world or even an immersive world if your just jumping from place to place.

Hate to be another of the naysayers. But yeah this doesnt make me excited. It'll be like Skyrim which I never completed because its too much. And will it end up just huge areas with generic copy pasted stuff. I'm at least hoping the core elements are better made than Skyrim. If the combat is good then I may stick with it.

MUnited83

For you.
Skyrim was extremely dissapoint on its sense of scale. Every singlecity is barely populated and quite small. I fully welcome cities that actualy feel like one.

Hopefully it's not as barren as Skyrim.

what does this even mean? I never thought skyrim was barren. There was always something to do. A dungeon to explore nearby, enemies to fight, things to find. Also it should be noted traversal and open/large environments are an integral part of the fantasy genre.

Prototype

I wonder how they will be able to fill a game world that big with enough interesting things to do, with enough people to make it seem alive and lived in and not dead, and finally what methods of travel will be available to the player.

Flandy

Are the first 2 games well optimized? I'd like to try out the first two games but I don't have a gaming PC. Just using a laptop I got a few years ago. Are my specs decent at all?
AMD A6-3400M Quad-core 1.40GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6520g 512mb
4GB DDR3

Skelter

Banned
what does this even mean? I never thought skyrim was barren. There was always something to do. A dungeon to explore nearby, enemies to fight, things to find. Also it should be noted traversal and open/large environments are an integral part of the fantasy genre.

I hope it doesn't feel like a themepark like Skyrim.

Hip Hop

I love open world games.

This will be my first Witcher game and may jump on a good deal on Witcher 2 for PC if I'm in the mood.

Is this what the Witcher 3 will be, an open world game or is it something else?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm super excited about W3 but hearing how big the game will be doesn't really fuel that excitement. I'd rather have a smaller but dense world that I really get to know (Gothic 2 f.e.) instead of a gigantic big world that feels empty and where I see everything once at best.
Doesn't mean the game will be bad, just saying that bigger doesn't always mean better (yeah, yeah har-di-har :p)

DLaicH

Daggerfall had a giant world too, but 99.9% of it was copy-pasted, unnecessary landscape that nobody ever wanted (or needed) to see. Bigger isn't better if what's there isn't compelling to begin with.

That said, I trust CD Projekt Red to get it right, and I'll be buying this on day one. Hopefully they'll be able to fill all that space with stuff worth seeing and doing.

To be fair, a very large portion of the real world is just empty landscape that looks copy/pasted.

b0bbyJ03

I just built my first PC in over 10 years and witcher 2 is one of the first games i purchased for it as well as the first real RPG im ever going to play. so far its complicated but it seems very promising. I'll take any tips if anymore has any to offer. I decided to try a sweetfx profile called sweet spot 2 (my first mod as well).

I really hate landscapes that feel like a theme park with something to see every 50 meters. Give a couple of places with half a square miles without a single thing in it besides what would naturally lie there.

Prototype

To be fair, a very large portion of the real world is just empty landscape that looks copy/pasted.

too true, I've spent a fair amount of time in Germany and it looks remarkably like the Pacific Northwest. The weather is also largely the same...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fast travel completely destroys the sense of scale and place.

Suddenly distances matters not at all.

I agree with the principle, but I don't play games for scale and place. I wouldn't play something like Skyrim without fast travel. I already play very few of those type of games as I just don't have the time for super long games.

But I especially don't enjoy just wander around exploring a huge world. I just want to do missions, find loot, enjoy the story etc. and get annoyed walking to far off destinations in games like Skryim before you have a bunch of fast travel spots unlocked.

Nothing wrong with games that have huge worlds and require a lot of walking/exploring. They're just not for me and more for people who both enjoy that stuff and who have a ton more time for/interest in gaming than I do. 5-10 hour games are pretty much my sweet spot anymore. Something I can chip away at in a few sessions over a week or two, or plough through in a long weekend. Something like Skyrim ends up being all I play for 3-4 months and gets me behind on other games so I mostly avoid those types of games anymore--maybe play one a year.

The best way to play skyrim is with all the weather mods that can kill you if you walk around during the night without enough layers of clothing. Hopefully they have some of that too.

MUnited83

For you.
Skyrim is one huge empty wasteland with nothing interesting to find, and dugeons with extremely similar desin to one another and a extremely linear path.

I agree with the principle, but I don't play games for scale and place. I wouldn't play something like Skyrim without fast travel. I already play very few of those type of games as I just don't have the time for super long games.

But I especially don't enjoy just wander around exploring a huge world. I just want to do missions, find loot, enjoy the story etc. and get annoyed walking to far off destinations in games like Skryim before you have a bunch of fast travel spots unlocked.

Nothing wrong with games that have huge worlds and require a lot of walking/exploring. They're just not for me and more for people who both enjoy that stuff and who have a ton more time for/interest in gaming than I do. 5-10 hour games are pretty much my sweet spot anymore. Something I can chip away at in a few sessions over a week or two, or plough through in a long weekend. Something like Skyrim ends up being all I play for 3-4 months and gets me behind on other games so I mostly avoid those types of games anymore--maybe play one a year.

These 2 statements contradict each other. An open-world game tends to be long even with the fast travel system. Your specific tastes would make more sense on a modular level like Tomb Raider. Wide enough for collectibles but not too large that you constantly need to fast travel.

Gbraga

The best way to play skirim is with all the weather mods that can kill you if you walk around during the night without enough layers of clothing. Hopefully they have some of that too.

That sounds like a really fun way to replay the game (played it on the 360 for the first time, but I already own it on PC). Do you have a list of mods that go well with this one?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I really don't like it when games brag about stuff like this. I would rather have a densely populated/detailed world that is smaller than a massive one that is empty.

How does this count as "bragging" about it? They simply gave the sizes in a presentation at GDC. It took two weeks for someone on reddit to just do the math and make the comparison. This isn't PR hype, this is fan hype.

Bizzquik

50-hour main quest and 50 hours of side quests. That's 1/3 of the playtime as Skyrim, which was described by Bethesda's Todd Howard as having 300 hours of content.

So....1/3 of the stuff to do and 3.5x the size to do it in..... I find that disconcerting.

emko

i am sorry from the screenshots you guys posted the game looks bad to me with that sharpening set to extreme anyone else feels sick looking at the screenshots? i really hope it looks better in motion or they back down the sharpening.

would be cool if its larger then skyrim but has interesting stuff in the empty space not just random space to make it bigger.

Respawn

Banned
In-fcking-sane.
Just don't be big just to be big. I want mystery and treasure in every misty wood and under those moss covered rocks.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
No, to travel 50 meters from the main town, to supposedly get to the remote Sacred Mountain of the Dragon Gods is what is terrible.

Because there is no median between the two. Good world design/game design rules over everything else.

McLovin

Never played the Witcher games. But this makes me want to jump in when it hits ps4. The main dude always gets amnesia right? I don't have to play the other ones, do I?

Setsuna

its going to be extremely weird going from the small areas of witcher 2 to the supposedly large areas of witcher 3

I bet most of it is just wide open plains

MUnited83

For you.
50-hour main quest and 50 hours of side quests. That's 1/3 of the playtime as Skyrim, which was described by Bethesda's Todd Howard as having 300 hours of content.

So....1/3 of the stuff to do and 3.5x the size to do it in..... I find that disconcerting.
That 300 content claim is completely bogus unless you factor in mods. anyone can easily complete everything in skyrim under 100 hours.

Danneee

I hope there's a lot of large empty spaces. The sense of awe when finding something new was never there in skyrim, mostly because you couldn't throw a fist of gravel in that world without hitting three ancient ruins, a bandit fort and a cave. It felt way too crowded.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
These 2 statements contradict each other. An open-world game tends to be long even with the fast travel system. Your specific tastes would make more sense on a modular level like Tomb Raider. Wide enough for collectibles but not too large that you constantly need to fast travel.

Which is why I say I play maybe one game like Skyrim a year. If it didn't have fast travel I wouldn't play it at all. With fast travel I'll squeeze in one long ass RPG here and there as there are some things I like about the genre. I just don't have time to play many of them.

But yes, I much prefer more linear stuff in general, and for open world stuff I like smaller worlds like Tomb Raider or Infamous.

But I much prefer stuff like Uncharted, Last of Us, FPS games etc. that are a lot more linear as just exploring worlds doesn't do a lot for me. I'm more about the story, questing etc. than exploration or even gameplay these days.

Sentenza

Good god.

Imagine if fast travel was broken day 1 of release lol...
Ideally a well designed game wouldn't rely on fast travel to make distances bearable, but on good pacing and a balanced distribution of content.
Admittedly, a bit of a lost art these days.

Also, let me call bullshit on people claiming that if the world needs to be dense and concentrate to be interesting (aka a "Potato Land"). That's not true at all.
And being too empty ins't even what makes Skyrim terrible. It's the lack of interesting and unique parts, not the distance that separate them, to make the game feel so dull.

Bizzquik

That 300 content claim is completely bogus unless you factor in mods. anyone can easily complete everything in skyrim under 100 hours.

300 hours in Vanilla Skyrim? Well, that may be a stretch.

But I'm 220 hours in and have done just three quest lines (and lots of side quests). I don't use fast-travel and I still enjoy venturing into random areas of the map.

But to your point about mods - you're absolutely right about that. I'm still just doing Vanilla Skyrim quests (mostly), but I still enjoy what I'm doing because of mods. Same content, but enjoyment - and desire to stretch my playtime - exists because of immersion mods, etc.

Doesn't this whole measuring scale by miles thing get thrown out depending on the size of the character and world and their relative movement speed? Unless everything in both games is built to real world scale

That sounds like a really fun way to replay the game (played it on the 360 for the first time, but I already own it on PC). Do you have a list of mods that go well with this one?

The Mods under realism in here http://www.skyrimgems.com/

the important ones are on the top of every tag, (frostfall is the main one)

then there is miscellaneous stuff underneath, like cloaks, campsites, and backpacks. The vanilla armors offer protection, but it is designed to use new equipment.

Seanspeed

Banned
Doesn't this whole measuring scale by miles thing get thrown out depending on the size of the character and world and their relative movement speed? Unless everything in both games is built to real world scale
It assumes that its based on a normal human height and normal human movement speed, obviously. Would make no sense otherwise.

As for Skyrim, the only way you can do *all* the content in 100 hours is by fast traveling everywhere at every opportunity, knowing exploits, and putting it on easy and rushing through absolutely everything at breakneck speed. Even then, I'm not sure its possible, especially if we're including DLC. 300 hours sounds about right. I've got over 250 hours through two playthroughs in the game and definitely have lots of stuff untouched, including finishing the game.

And with fast travel, I'm ok with it so long as its optional and the quest design isn't designed around it. I don't get why people are so vehemently against it. Not having it would be awful.

But I much prefer stuff like Uncharted, Last of Us, FPS games etc. that are a lot more linear as just exploring worlds doesn't do a lot for me. I'm more about the story, questing etc. than exploration or even gameplay these days.
Really? I mean, that's your call, but man, I'd have given up games a long time ago if that was the case. Story over gameplay? In video games? Holy shit, dude.

Rockyrock

how much of it will be dead space though.

at least in Skyrim the world is littered with interactive areas (caves, camps, forts, settlements, cities, shrines, ect....

Top Bottom