• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two areas in Witcher 3 are 3.5x larger than entire Skyrim

ZoddGutts

I wish more games were as mod-friendly as Bethesda's games - particularly single-player games. For example, Watch_Dogs. It would be great if developers were open to the community creating more content and tweaking the game. Bethesda goes above and beyond with this by even releasing developers tools to the community. It's kinda their thing in that, the PC version is practically built to be modded, but I don't see why any other developers couldn't be successful with this strategy.

Because they need modders to fix and improve their games.

hydruxo

It usually does not turn out well when a studio says something like this. But it's CDPR, so I'll remain optimistic.

RetroStu

Banned
Yeah, no, not really.
First things first, he's Geralt, not Garret.
Second point, even at the hardest difficulty setting, once you started to get some level up and gear improvement, you were dangerously close to one shot pretty much anything in the game.

I'm typing from my bed while also having slight dyslexia (thats why my spelling can be so bad).
You're right, the last quarter of the game can be easy to dispatch with enemies but the first 70% of the game was a chore, not hard, just a chore having to hit enemies so many times.
Maybe i just wasn't as good as some of you or i had a bad weapon or something.
Its been a while to be honest.

Edit. Whats with the douche tone of your post anyway?

I'm patiently waiting for SureAI to finish their Skyrim mod because if Nehrim is anything to go by, it will blow Skyrim out of the water with regards to exploration.

I'd say a lot has to do with art direction as well. Xenoblade's actual world was big and empty but the art direction was through the roof.

At the very least CDPR is making the game, not Bethesda, so the Skyrim fears seem unfounded.

Big maps are fine as long as the game justifies it with interesting content and a sense of dynamic interaction. I'm long past the point of being impressed by asset tourism for the sake of tourism so the exploration part of the game has to feel lively and worth my time. Unless it's a purposely isolated and desolate adventure like Shadow Of The Colossus, or that amazing space exploration game I'm designing in my head right now, the world needs to feel alive. Not necessarily realistic, just alive.

AlterOdin

Repost from eariler thread: Link

It will be interesting how open this game will be. One of the thing I liked about the Witcher series is the relative tight narrative. Maybe it will be like 2, but expanded witch monster hunts, interesting side quests, etc. Hopefully not to "dynamic" as narrative, by experience, loses some of its edge. But knowing RedProject I am not worried.

Most anticipated RPG of 2013 for sure, along side DSII if you can compare the two.

Only it's 2014 2015 now :(

akira28

Skyrim was already filled with nothing, what will this be like?

That was part of why I wasn't enthusiastic about Skrim at all. Elder Scrolls games excel at having wide open, empty spaces, but if there's not much to do in them, what's the point.

Hopefully the Witcher crew anticipated that problem and worked around it.

CD Projekt has done absolutely nothing to make me doubt W3 will be incredible. They've had such a solid track record from the start. It's by far my most anticipated game. I really hope they keep the streak going with this game.

Not saying that it is at all what they are planning with cities of this size, but theoretically couldn't they do the Infamous 2 in world player created quests system using something akin to Redkit?

If they were really on parity with Skyrim (on the user creation level), a focus on modding where you literally have thousands upon thousands of places to place and arrange content could be real cool.

The scale actually makes me more excited for the game, and I wasn't sure that was possible.

HeelPower

I'm typing from my bed while also having slight dyslexia (thats why my spelling can be so bad).
You're right, the last quarter of the game can be easy to dispatch with enemies but the first 70% of the game was a chore, not hard, just a chore having to hit enemies so many times.
Maybe i just wasn't as good as some of you or i had a bad weapon or something.
Its been a while to be honest.

Edit. Whats with the douche tone of your post anyway?

I actually totally agree with you on this.

The game had tons of spongy enemies that required you to repeatedly mash with the sword over and over.

I usually upgraded the swordsman path and had the strongest weapons I could found + used oil to make things just a bit less spammy.

I never one shot anything in TW2 .

Jonm1010

Banned
That was part of why I wasn't enthusiastic about Skrim at all. Elder Scrolls games excel at having wide open, empty spaces, but if there's not much to do in them, what's the point.

Hopefully the Witcher crew anticipated that problem and worked around it.
I really don't get this sentiment.

Playing skyrim felt like I was always 30 seconds away from either a city, town, outpost, location of interest, cave, ruin or fort. Which I think is where you get the theme park sentiment from. Going from one major town to the next seemed like a minute or two at most. Yet the player was supposed to believe this particular town, only a few minutes away is a completely different cultural society.

I'd much rather skyrim have dropped half their caves, forts, outposts and ruins and instead expanded the actual map and populated it with more diverse creatures and monsters and built up the cities into real cities(not a dozen houses and a few shops) and towns into real towns while making the actual map more interesting and unique.

DC1

This just means that's there's more land through which I can discover and forge new and special relationships.

sappyday

I'm hoping by people's love for CDProjeckt that all this land mass will have something interesting to see every two seconds.

BashNasty

Little tidbits like this always get blown out of proportion. Regardless of the metrics used to make this measurement, I'm completely sure that the the entire world of the Witcher 3, much less a couple areas, will not actually feel 3.5 times bigger than Skyrim.

Sentenza

I'm hoping by people's love for CDProjeckt that all this land mass will have something interesting to see every two seconds.
I guess for someone with the attention span of a hummingbird that may sound like something good to advocate for.

Playing skyrim felt like I was always 30 seconds away from either a city, town, outpost, location of interest, cave, ruin or fort. Which I think is where you get the theme park sentiment from. Going from one major town to the next seemed like a minute or two at most. Yet the player was supposed to believe this particular town, only a few minutes away is a completely different cultural society.

I'd much rather skyrim have dropped half their caves, forts, outposts and ruins and instead expanded the actual map and populated it with more diverse creatures and monsters and built up the cities into real cities(not a dozen houses and a few shops) and towns into real towns while making the actual map more interesting and unique.
I share your opinion about this entirely.
EDIT: also, having "barely" 10 big dungeons worth exploring would have been so much better than having few hundreds of them, each one trying to top the previous in dullness.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Agreed entirely.

This game comes out next year? I thought this game was coming out this summer

Why the hell do devs announce games years in advance

ExVicis

Ken Masters said:
This game comes out next year? I thought this game was coming out this summer
They announced a little while back they needed to push the release date. Which I'm all for. I want a game that delivers what it promises (and also I need to finish the Witcher 2 still).

I share your opinion about this entirely.
EDIT: also, having "barely" 10 big dungeons worth exploring would have been so much better than having few hundreds of them, each one trying to top the previous in dullness.
Yeah, Skyrim's dungeons were dull as all hell. There was mostly only two settings - generic Nord tomb, or generic Dwemmer ruin. The only time they really switched things up was with the huge underground area, but that was basically an extension of the Dwemmer stuff.

The problem with Skyrim and most RPGs with open worlds is that they feel more like counties with small villages than entire countries with actual cities.

Sentenza

I can hear my GPU screaming in agony already.
Same here and I just bought mine.
But you know what? I don't even care.
Just give me a game that will live up to all the promises and I will go the extra mile to have the adequate hardware to run it at its best.

50-hour main quest and 50 hours of side quests. That's 1/3 of the playtime as Skyrim, which was described by Bethesda's Todd Howard as having 300 hours of content.

So....1/3 of the stuff to do and 3.5x the size to do it in..... I find that disconcerting.
Takes me 40 hours to beat the main and guild quests. That's it for the game for me since the rest of the place is filled with boring garbage and dungeons with terrible rewards.

Zarx

Co-signed. Nothing bugs me more than entering what's supposed to be a huge city only to discover it's not huge at all.

That said, no fast travel? That's the thing that bugs me about some gamers. If you don't want fast travel, you don't have to use it. But don't ask them to take it out so none of us can have it.

The fact is, it's impossible to make travel so interesting I won't ever use fast travel. Unless you gave me like a dope-ass flying mount or flying base ala the Highwind.

Well this is what the cities in TW3 look like
ibngSJx6BBw01T.jpg

ibsbsb255XH8h.jpg

iucFubfxd6Ols.gif

As for fast travel it is in TW3 but only between major locations like cities. You won't be able to warp to anywhere on the map like in Skyrim.

Sentenza

As for fast travel it is in TW3 but only between major locations like cities. You won't be able to warp to anywhere on the map like in Skyrim.
Did they ever confirmed this, at any point?
Last time i heard about this, they were going for "You can always instantly fast travel in any "point of interest" you already reached... Which is pretty much the worst kind of fast travel as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand a network of few key points, being those major city hubs, magic portals, teleport runes or similar stuff, would be probably awesome.

there's hoping this game will be well optimized since it is getting a console port. there were parts in witcher 2 where the game ran at 5-10 frames per second on a state of the art 5850 (at that time of release)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
A lot of the world is procedurally generated, such as trees being present where there is sunlight, etc. You don't want to have to go and hand-place everything in a big world, you just have to code things right for the environment to be populated by assets in a logical way.

I'm confident it will be awesome. Hope the boat is still in.

Only thing that might be difficult is fit all the data on disc, especially if they have some baked lighting or things like that.

antonz

Even Witcher 1 had a bigger city than Skyrims. I admit a lot of the buildings in the first game were closed off but I mean the cities had lots of npcs and its share of places to visit.

I trust them to balance space with life. They have spoken quite often on avoiding emptiness

I'm actually worried about it now. Skyrim was too bloody big, it felt empty.

If TW3 can make its world feel alive and isn't just big for the sake of being big to impress people, then it will be one hell of an accomplishment. But when I hear devs using size as a selling point it sets off alarm bells.

Eusis

Any one in here read a title like that and think "damnit seriously! Skyrim took me forever to beat I don't need a game bigger than Skyrim"

Or am I the only old codger with limited gaming time
I'm thinking more "so how much of that space is taken up and how fast will travel be?" Something like Dark Souls II you could spend forever on but it's probably a fraction of the size of Skyrim, and likewise I'm pretty sure GTAV's larger than Skyrim but no way could you spend as much time on that game, partially because you kind of are driving around in cars and stuff.

It was something you could disable, if I recall.

You had to turn off AA to disable it. For some reason both were tied together.That's what I remember anyway, I had to inject SMAA after

So if I haven't played the first two games will i be okay to jump into this one?

Hell no. You won't have a clue what's going on

Unless the devs synopsise it in a quick cutscene but still. GO PLAY THE FIRST TWO. You'll get so much more out of it

catmario

Oh. Good.

Only problem is... How it is deep?

Skyrim or Oblivion shows really deep contents, even These are smaller than Daggerfall.

Top Bottom