• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two new Killer Instinct characters leaked

Goodstyle

Yes! These sound great. I've always liked RAAM and I like that KI is including VILLAIN guest characters too. Smash Bros. failed at that hard.

A Street Fighter fan trolling a Killer Instinct thread... what a shock.

1R2Ay3d.gif

I think the bigger concern here is someone with an Alex avatar criticizing the design of another fighting game character.

Zeta Oni

i know RAAM is a popular choice but I never quite got it. theyintroduced a similar character in Gears 2 by the Name of Skorge and he's a Locust priest with a chainsaw bo staff. Not only would he look beter but both only appeared in one game so why do people care more about RAAM.

Because more people remember the first one than the second.

Because RAAM killing Kim is one of the most well known scenes of the entire series.

Because RAAM was just in UE, which came out last year and just saw a PC version drop a couple of weeks ago.

Because killer instinct is also just getting a PC release.

Because RAAM had RAAM's shadow, which gave alot more details than anything we know about skorge.

Because skorge is from gears 2, and judging by that recent "worst gears of the trilogy" thread, is considered the worst of the series.

Because he has fucking armored Kryll, which they already have the blueprints for with Thunders murder of crows.

Because....because.

kjacobson

Neo Member
I feel like this season has too many cameo characters at this point. I'm glad they are all in, but I wish they didn't all come at once. Like maybe 1 or 2 with Season 1 / 2 / 3.

Really happy they are here though - and I don't anticipate them doing this for later seasons I'd think. Can't wait to play as Rash. I'm excited to see them expand their own original universe as well though mainly, Mira looks awesome.

blakep267

It's a shame scalebound got delayed. As others have said, I think Drew would be perfect for KI. Be a new Dante type fighter that also has the dragon mode

I hope RAAM brings the kryll with him. Kinda like Thunder's ravens.

Edit: whoops, beaten.

I saw somebody talking about how Kryll would be cool as a multi-use resource, like Spinal's skulls or Aganos' chunks. Have him spend them to be more mobile, ranged attacks, etc.

I can dig it.

Yes! These sound great. I've always liked RAAM and I like that KI is including VILLAIN guest characters too. Smash Bros. failed at that hard.

I think the bigger concern here is someone with an Alex avatar criticizing the design of another fighting game character.
What third party villains would be justified in Smash? There's only one character per franchise, so ususally they will go with the main character, except in the case where the villain is the most iconic character, and none of Eggman (Robotnik), Wily, Inky, Pinky, Blink, Clyde, Akuma, Bison and Masked Lumen are more iconic than the main character of each franchise. Sephiroth has an argument however.

In Killer Instinct's case, Master Chief is a million times more iconic than Arbiter. If the reason for putting him in was to add a Halo guest, they lowered the bar.

Goodstyle

What third party villains would be justified in Smash? There's only one character per franchise, so ususally they will go with the main character, except in the case where the villain is the most iconic character, and none of Eggman (Robotnik), Wily, Inky, Pinky, Blink, Clyde, Akuma, Bison and Masked Lumen are more iconic than the main character of each franchise. Sephiroth has an argument however.

In Killer Instinct's case, Master Chief is a million times more iconic than Arbiter. If the reason for putting him in was to add a Halo guest, they lowered the bar.

We shouldn't only be looking for iconography when creating rosters in fighting games.

Both Raam and Arbiter offer way more moveset potential than Master Chump or Dorkus Fenix ever could. In Smash's case, the DLC characters have been atrocious. The characters they picked all pander to the same crowd that the roster was catering to in the first place. They should have been adding more villains, large fighters, or at least characters that aren't the glossed up dandies that they went with.

There's no official rule saying one character per franchise anyways. Eggman would have been 10x better than any of the DLC characters they did go with.

The Flash

Banned

Or perhaps they thought that having someone besides a generic space marine would be more interesting? Just because someone is the face of a franchise doesn't automatically mean that they are the best option.

Ryce

In Smash's case, the DLC characters have been atrocious. The characters they picked all pander to the same crowd that the roster was catering to in the first place. They should have been adding more villains, large fighters, or at least characters that aren't the glossed up dandies that they went with.
"Glossed up dandies"?

I understand the argument against Corrin, but Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy are popular series veterans, Bayonetta was heavily requested, and Ryu and Cloud are gaming icons. They're also all fun to play. The DLC lineup as a whole is far from atrocious.

W.S.

Agreed. I think the guest characters are largely embarrassing (for both franchises). It seems like everything in this next season is a real step down in quality from the previous two seasons... KI was such a pristine gem, but it looks like it may be a far lesser product when this season drops.
This is absolutely crazy.

How can Season 3 be a lesser product when it has more characters, more stages, redone lighting, re-balances and additional updates?

I really want a creature from the black lagoon type monster in KI. A really gross looking fish monster.
Would be nice but I suppose there's....Rash? lol

How can Season 3 be a lesser product when it has more characters, more stages, redone lighting, re-balances and additional updates?

Would be nice but I suppose there's....Rash? lol

I love Rash but he's goofy, not gross. I need gross! Rash is pretty damn hilarious though. I'll also take Forza Car.

Spman2099

In all honesty, though that is how I feel, I regret posting it. However, I will explain my position...

Lesser doesn't necessarily mean that something has less, it primarily means that it is comparatively lower in quality. I feel like what we have seen of the new characters (Tusk specifically) has been lackluster. Everything about Tusk looks worse to me than any of the characters from the previous seasons. Everything from the design, to the model, to the animations looks considerably worse. While I actually think it is sorta fun to have Rash in the game (and I think he does look pretty well done) the rest of the guest characters really hurt the game for me. I find the inclusion of guest characters to be really cheap. I thought they degraded MKX, I thought Cole degraded Street Fighter X Tekken, I thought they essentially ruined Soul Calibur. I am just not happy with the direction this season has headed in.

But that is just my stupid opinion.

ScribbleD

Mira looks neat. KI needed a vampire archetype. She looks a bit like a Diablo 3 character.

Raam's non-existent picture in the OP fits Raam's character perfectly. Surprised they're doing another guest character. Didn't they say only Arbiter and Rash would have guest appearances this season?

So we have Tusk, Kim Wu, Rash, Mira, Arbiter, and Raam. 6/8, unless they aren't counting Rash as a true season 3 character. Just for completion sake I hope they fit Gargos and Eyedol in there. I have no personal attachment to those characters since I have no background in the old Killer Instinct games, but we're so close to having all previous KI characters that'd be a shame not to include them. I'm sure IG could work them into some reasonable designs considering what we've gotten from them so far.

.la1n

I don't think Gargos will be playable but I do think he will be a boss.

They had previously said they didn't want to do non playable bosses, hence Aria was a playable character. Considering the other things they've said then changed later though it wouldn't surprise me.

SOR5

How will the the game be bundled now?

I know its not really fragmenting the community at all, but will there be an effectively priced way for new players to jump in with all the characters?

I know its not really fragmenting the community at all, but will there be an effectively priced way for new players to jump in with all the characters?

While there has been nothing announced regarding pricing, it should go this way, according to the other seasons: the game itself should be free to download on Windows, since it's free on Xbox One. You only get Jago on the free version, I think. After that, there should be a $20 dollar "combo breaker edition" which comes with all the characters of that season, and a $40 dollar "ultra combo" edition which comes with all the characters of that season+their retro costumes.

That is how it's worked since the start, so theoretically, to get every character by themselves, it should be $60. I can't imagine that the pricing structure will change, though Microsoft and IG may discount the first two seasons to entice people to get all the characters for the S3 release. We'll see.

Nothing announced yet but I'd imagine we'll know soon. I expect it to be similar to the Xbox version pricing.

Edit: beaten

Can't wait to see either of these two characters and how they play. Surprised it's raam but only because I didn't expect anything and he seems to fit well. Mira just looks really cool all and all and can't wait. If she is cool and interesting enough I might main her instead of hisako.h

lazyguy

You know because of the timeframe it's not really possible but it could have been really cool if they put in one of the villains or characters from Gears 4. Kinda like the Fire Emblem characters in Melee.

Top Bottom