• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two new Smash Bros. Brawl commercials

Best footage we've seen so far.

I absolutely love how Pikachu's electric attacks now have slight pauses between combo hits like the original did. The forward air spin attack was so satisfying in the original SSB but was largely nerfed in Melee.

traveler

Not Wario
Wow, the music is just.....wow. (Although I thought the MGS track was one of the weaker ones- sounded like cheesey PotC music till the end, where it did pick up a bit.)

zaccheus

Banned
another feature they added to brawl that was in n64 is the ability to punch/attack projectiles. in the first fight sonic is seen twice punching mario's fireballs. pretty cool.

Jiggy

The Interrobanger said:
I absolutely love how Pikachu's electric attacks now have slight pauses between combo hits like the original did. The forward air spin attack was so satisfying in the original SSB but was largely nerfed in Melee.
I didn't see that (maybe you were looking at Zelda shocking Pikachu with her magic?), but yeah, I hope you're right for this very reason. All auto-combos will be a very welcome comeback as far as I'm concerned, whether it's Pikachu's forward air, the drill kick that characters like Mario and Kirby and really a lot of others share, or anything like them.

traveler

Not Wario
JohnTinker said:
Can we post spoilers in here since the other thread got closed

I don't think so; sp0rsk said go to other forums for that discussion. (Can you link me to said spoilers though?)

zaccheus

Banned
grabbing the edge seems to be A LOT easier now. several instances where characters would have simply glided away in melee, or missed the edge grab them rather quickly.

peach's up smash is now embellished with a giant heart

KevinCow

Banned
Holy shit at that five minute video.

Hey Nintendo, where's out Everybody's Nintendo video so we can get awesome stuff like this?

Firestorm

zaccheus said:
grabbing the edge seems to be A LOT easier now. several instances where characters would have simply glided away in melee, or missed the edge grab them rather quickly.

peach's up smash is now embellished with a giant heart

Which is so awesome for me as I've jumped off the edge more times than I can count.
Although not sure if it'd get me while I d-air off the edge.

phalestine

aka iby.h
I <3 Ike's Final smash
Ikefinalsmash.gif

gwiz210

After much consideration, Mario will probably be my main. I used him in both SSB and SSBM. If Sonic is good I'll use him too though.

Sharp

Does anyone actually use Yoshi? I ask because I realized while I was watching the video that I hadn't even remembered he was in the game for like a month.

kamikaze

KevinCow said:
Hey Nintendo, where's out Everybody's Nintendo video so we can get awesome stuff like this?

seriously. NOA and NOE need to get their act together. everyone without a japanese wii is missing out on a lot...glad i imported one at launch. :D

zaccheus

Banned
Firestorm said:
Which is so awesome for me as I've jumped off the edge more times than I can count.
Although not sure if it'd get me while I d-air off the edge.

i think it will, edges are all magnetized and such now that you can walk off and instantly grab it. its kind of weird. (this is from impressions i read)

AMUSIX

On the Skyworld stage...what's the point of the breaking floor if it makes no difference in the battle? (the fight just continues on the clouds (mot noticeable watching Kong do ground pounds on the clouds at 1:37).

I did think I saw the clouds start to diffuse, but the floor respawns so quickly this doesn't look like it's a hazard at all.

Jiggy

zaccheus said:
i think it will, edges are all magnetized and such now that you can walk off and instantly grab it. its kind of weird. (this is from impressions i read)
Well, not perfectly instantly--you do at least have to press in the direction of the edge, from what I read. >_>
But yeah, it's an instant grab if you're recovering with an up B or something... No more going too high and landing on the stage with lag only to get forward smashed into oblivion.

Wow, talk about busy footage. Between Pokeballs, Assist trophies, Final Smashes and crazy dynamic stages, this game is shaping up to be even more frantic than Melee was. A part of me thinks it's awesome, but another part kind of misses the slower pace of the N64 classic.

Jiggy

civilstrife said:
Wow, talk about busy footage. Between Pokeballs, Assist trophies, Final Smashes and crazy dynamic stages, this game is shaping up to be even more frantic than Melee was. A part of me thinks it's awesome, but another part kind of misses the slower pace of the N64 classic.
People who have played it say it's a bit slower/floatier than Melee, and before the Dojo began Sakurai said the speed would be "moderated" somewhat. We probably just can't tell in the four-player footage. >_>

KevinCow

Banned
I noticed some differences in Lucas' special attacks compared to Ness' that make me happy:

- PK Thunder looks a lot tighter. In Melee, it has to make a much bigger circle to come back and hit you to recover.

- PK Fire seems faster.

- PK Freeze, holy shit, its range and speed are like a zillion times better than PK Flash. He just pulls it out and sends it all the way across the map and explodes it in a fraction of the time it would take PK Flash to get going. I imagine it could be a pretty useful edgeguarding move.

iby.h said:
I <3 Ike's Final smash
Ikefinalsmash.gif
That is AWESOME.

Sharp said:
Does anyone actually use Yoshi? I ask because I realized while I was watching the video that I hadn't even remembered he was in the game for like a month.
I used Yoshi in Smash 64 sometimes. A lot of his attacks were good, and eggs were devastating. But in Melee, they severely toned down his eggs. Plus, my friends figured out how to make recovering almost impossible for Yoshi since he doesn't have a recovery move.

But it looks like his eggs can help him recover now, so maybe I'll give him another shot in Brawl.

RagnarokX

AMUSIX said:
On the Skyworld stage...what's the point of the breaking floor if it makes no difference in the battle? (the fight just continues on the clouds (mot noticeable watching Kong do ground pounds on the clouds at 1:37).

I did think I saw the clouds start to diffuse, but the floor respawns so quickly this doesn't look like it's a hazard at all.
When the floor is broken, you can meteor smash people through them for quick kills.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
civilstrife said:
then turn off items pokeballs and assits! yay.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'll repost my impressions of the five minute Gametrailers video here, since this thread seems more appropriate for it.

I watched the Lucas action in that Gametrailers video very closely.

PK Thunder seems identical to Melee. Maybe the thunder dash gets a bit more distance, but it's hard to say.

PK Freeze looks awesome. It looks like it goes much faster than PK Flash ever did. PK Fire has a lot more power behind it than it did before. It's got more range and speed, definitely. There's even a bit of knockback when Lucas casts it.

His A button moves look pretty impressive as well. I like the midair flip kick. Overall, his attacks seem to come out much swifter than Ness'.

As for other aspects, I loved the Mario vs. Sonic match in the beginning. It was a pretty close one. Sonic's down-A in the air (at least, that's what I'm assuming that delayed downward jump-kick is supposed to be) looks pretty lethal on high percent foes.

It's kind of disappointing to know that the Delfino Plaza song is unremixed, but it would have taken a miracle worker to make that song sound good anyway. The new Zelda theme arrangement is nice.

And seeing all this Smash action makes me want the game so very, very badly.

zaccheus

Banned
kinda o-t

i never really got into earthbound/mother however i am curious as to what moves ness/lucas actually used in their games. i know that ness stole his moves from that one girl. what were his real moves/spells/abilities in earthbound? did ness have high hp, low mp, i just want a general understanding as to why he was made the way he was. did ness' down+b move in mother absorb energy attacks?

same for lucas, did he actually have pk thunder, pk fire, etc etc?

just curious as to how the translation of character from rpg -> character in fighting game works.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
I watched the Lucas action in that Gametrailers video very closely.

PK Thunder seems identical to Melee.
I think you need to watch even more closely. :p KevinCow and I both noticed the circle is far, far tighter than before. It's really noticeable the second time in Delfino Plaza.

zaccheus said:
i am curious as to what moves ness/lucas actually used in their games. i know that ness stole his moves from that one girl. what were his real moves/spells/abilities in earthbound? did ness have high hp, low mp, i just want a general understanding as to why he was made the way he was.
Ness was an all-around character, great in every way; he didn't have a bunch of attacking PSI powers as he does in the Smash Bros. games, but the few he did have were incredible, so it works out.

TreIII

...So..very...awesome.

Ryuka/Lucas looks like he'll be great fun to play. If you have to unlock
Ness
in the same way that you did in SSB original, it'll be funny to see what will happen when those two clash...

Iam Canadian

zaccheus said:
kinda o-t

i never really got into earthbound/mother however i am curious as to what moves ness/lucas actually used in their games. i know that ness stole his moves from that one girl. what were his real moves/spells/abilities in earthbound? did ness have high hp, low mp, i just want a general understanding as to why he was made the way he was. did ness' down+b move in mother absorb energy attacks?

same for lucas, did he actually have pk thunder, pk fire, etc etc?

just curious as to how the translation of character from rpg -> character in fighting game works.

Ness was highly altered from his original Mother 2 appearance.

In Mother 2/Earthbound, Ness' main attribute was his physical power. He had the highest offense out of any character in the game, as well as the highest defense. He used both baseball bats and yo-yos, though bats were exclusive to him while yo-yos could be used by any character. Ness' PSI/PK abilities were very different from what he has in Smash. PK Flash is the only move that's legitimately Ness'. However, in Mother 2, PK Flash was a multi-target attack that inflicted a variety of status ailments on all enemies. The lower levels of the spell would make enemies cry (blind them) or confuse them. The higher levels could paralyze enemies or defeat them outright. It didn't inflict damage, though as I said, it could be an instant-death move.

Ness' only other offensive PSI move was PK Special, which the player could name. It was basically a multitarget, non-elemental attack that inflicted major damage but consumed a lot of PP. It's more Final Smash suited than normal B attack.

PK Fire, Thunder, and Magnet were all taken from Paula, the game's main offensive PSI user. Magnet wasn't a shield as it is in Smash, but rather would drain PP (essentially MP) from one or more enemies and add it to Paula's. Fire was a multitarget fire attack and Thunder hit random enemies for major damage, but would miss if there were few enemies around.

The rest of Ness' Mother 2 PSI set was based around healing and support. His LifeUp spell recovered HP and his Healing move could cure just about any status ailment, including death (assuming the spell level was high enough). He did have a shield move, but it halved the damage from physical attacks. He also had spells that could inflict paralysis and sleep.

As for Lucas, he doesn't have PK Freeze, Thunder, Fire, or Magnet either. I haven't played Mother 3 yet, so I don't know everything of what he does, though I do think he has a move called "PK Ground" (which is apparently his down smash) and PK Love, which is apparently Mother 3's equivalent to PK Special.

Hope that was helpful.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I think you need to watch even more closely. :p KevinCow and I both noticed the circle is far, far tighter than before. It's really noticeable the second time in Delfino Plaza.

You're right. As I said in the Dojo thread, I was either thinking of SSB64 PK Thunder or I had just forgotten how badly PK Thunder had been nerfed in Melee.

And you know, every time I watch that video, I think that the PK Freeze Lucas uses in Smashville is a PK Thunder at first. PK Freeze is incredible.

As well it should be, since PK Freeze was such an awesome power in Earthbound. ;)

Jiggy37 said:
Ness was an all-around character, great in every way; he didn't have a bunch of attacking PSI powers as he does in the Smash Bros. games, but the few he did have were incredible, so it works out.

I could make an argument how PSI Special was actually one of the lesser offensive powers in Earthbound, what with its poor PP-to-damage ratio (at least compared to other offensive PSI spells), its lack of an element making it impossible to hit enemy weaknesses, its surprisingly low accuracy causing it to fail on some fast-moving enemies (UFOs, Spinning Robots, even Spiteful Crows), and the fact that PSI Starstorm outclasses it in every possible way, but it's not relevant, so I won't. :D

In the dailymotion video it shows that Zero Suit Samus remains as Zero Suit Samus even after she falls - this WAS NOT the case at E for All. This either means you can start the battle as Zero Suit Samus or Sakurai changed it so when you die you die as Zero Suit Samus she no longer reverts to Power Suit Samus like back with E for All.

Mockingbird said:
In the dailymotion video it shows that Zero Suit Samus remains as Zero Suit Samus even after she falls - this WAS NOT the case at E for All. This either means you can start the battle as Zero Suit Samus or Sakurai changed it so when you die you die as Zero Suit Samus she no longer reverts to Power Suit Samus like back with E for All.

Now that IS interesting... Hmmm...

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
PK Freeze is incredible.

As well it should be, since PK Freeze was such an awesome power in Earthbound. ;)
No argument. I think it was the only offensive power I used regularly; it'll be a joy to use it in Brawl. That said, I still wish they'd put in Paula or Kumatora, for a real magic user. (Assuming Kumatora is even that... I wouldn't know. >_>)

just wondering, but shouldent there be an official thread for this game soon?

the game is within a week of release in japan, I think that counts under guidelines and all that, right?

RagnarokX

Jiggy37 said:
No argument. I think it was the only offensive power I used regularly; it'll be a joy to use it in Brawl. That said, I still wish they'd put in Paula or Kumatora, for a real magic user. (Assuming Kumatora is even that... I wouldn't know. >_>)
Well it's a safe bet considering your main other choices are Duster and Boney.

Iam Canadian

Watching the video another time, I started to focus on characters not named Lucas.

I didn't see any major differences in Samus' play-style, but note that I'm not that well acquainted with how Samus plays, so don't take that as gospel.

Zelda seems much improved. She appears to move much faster, and her up-A did a crazy auto-combo on Pikachu at the start of the Castle Siege segment.

Unfortunately, I didn't get that great of an impression of Diddy from this video, due to the fact that Diddy spends his segment getting bullied by Kirby and Lucas.

The animation for Kirby's Final Smash looks identical to Super Star. I love it. :D

Sonic looks insanely good. His hits pack a punch and he's quite fast. I can see him making the top tier, easily.

Lylat Cruise looks amazing. <3

They say that Bowser is much improved but...well, I didn't see a whole lot of it in this video, outside of Giga Bowser's rampage.

Jiggy

RagnarokX said:
Well it's a safe bet considering your main other choices are Duster and Boney.
I would definitely not put it past a Mother game to have a magic-using dog. Not at all. :D

Top Bottom