• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This could be the game that'll get me bringing my Vita to work and leave the 3DS at home (I have 2-5hrs paid downtime each day).

Looking forward to this, last Tempest I played was the PSX one, finished all 100 levels eventually. I did have Space Giraffe on the 360 but it was a bit too busy for my liking, but shit was it good under halluciogenics. Dat Allard head and llama sounds. :lol

Shaneus

Oh, perfect time to brag, also: I've beaten Tempest 2000, on the Jaguar, too (not PS1 or PC) which is friggin hard, and I'm very proud of it. Never played 3000 (who has?) and didn't take to Space Allard, though. Hopefully this one clicks.
I've played 3000 ;) Someone at PAX in the retro gaming area brought a Nuon along. I remember it was great, but it felt like a fairly different beast to 2000.

BTW I'm surprised you'd not heard of this, I've seen your avatar pop up every now and then in various threads... figured you'd be on it.

Is this getting released on anything else in the foreseeable future?
I can't remember the exact quote, but I believe PC was going to be first on the list with perhaps other platforms in the future. You should just pony up and at least buy a Vita TV for a hundo or so, I assume TxK is made to work with it. I think the only thing mapped to the touchscreen is jump or superzapper, but I'd wager that could be remapped to a button easily enough.

I can't remember the exact quote, but I believe PC was going to be first on the list with perhaps other platforms in the future. You should just pony up and at least buy a Vita TV for a hundo or so, I assume TxK is made to work with it. I think the only thing mapped to the touchscreen is jump or superzapper, but I'd wager that could be remapped to a button easily enough.

Hmmm. Sticking to my one console only policy, for now, so will just wait it out for a ps3 release/update. Seems kind of silly to not have it crossplay in the first place.

stuminus3

I'm likely buying a Vita because I can't miss this. Following Jeff on Twitter he's been so passionate about this which has been great because he's been quite grumpy in recent years. I hope he doesn't get stung again like he was on iOS.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm likely buying a Vita because I can't miss this. Following Jeff on Twitter he's been so passionate about this which has been great because he's been quite grumpy in recent years. I hope he doesn't get stung again like he was on iOS.

How did he get stung? The first two Minotaur Project games are the reason I miss my iPhone.

PSN : I am sploatee (unsurprisingly)

Hanmik

My head hurts. For real this game is crazy sick. Fun and wild. its the sections between the levels that make my head hurt.

My head hurts to much to write my review . Will post review tomorrow .

Shaneus

Hmmm. Sticking to my one console only policy, for now, so will just wait it out for a ps3 release/update. Seems kind of silly to not have it crossplay in the first place.
If it's crossplay, it'll be with PS4. Much like Assault Android Cactus would be, I'd imagine.

I've played 3000 ;) Someone at PAX in the retro gaming area brought a Nuon along. I remember it was great, but it felt like a fairly different beast to 2000.

BTW I'm surprised you'd not heard of this, I've seen your avatar pop up every now and then in various threads... figured you'd be on it.

Very cool that you played 3000!

I don't keep up very well with upcoming games any more; I have so much to play, it's dumb to waste much energy on waiting. But it does mean stuff can slip by me, unless GAF brings it to my attention. So despite my avatar, I had no idea Mr. Mintner was making this.

So...thanks again, GAF. :)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I looked at the pictures and I am sold. Also, i've never heard of this nuon machine, interesting stuff.

Gazunta

I thought you bought one?

There's a section in the OP especially for people like you. The last one.

Something kept coming up to take my precious dollars away. But that Dick Smith 10% is just enough to get me across the line :)

UH OH can someone please confirm this will be available in Australia...I've already set up an Australian account on my PS3 and was hoping I could keep everything unified :/

PS gamertag is "Gazunta" of course :)

Shaneus

I looked at the pictures and I am sold. Also, i've never heard of this nuon machine, interesting stuff.
Yeah, it's not a console unto itself specifically, it's more a DVD player that utilised a specific chipset that could also do some (but not a lot of) gaming stuff.

Something kept coming up to take my precious dollars away. But that Dick Smith 10% is just enough to get me across the line :)

UH OH can someone please confirm this will be available in Australia...I've already set up an Australian account on my PS3 and was hoping I could keep everything unified :/

PS gamertag is "Gazunta" of course :)
Glad you jumped in! It'll be well worth it :)

As for the Australian availability, if it's regarding this post:
iOS games don't require classifications to be released here. TxK currently doesn't have an Australian rating, and it's missing from the PS Store's coming soon section. Hoping it shows up, but if not I guess I'll just settle for the soundtrack eventually!
I don't think it's anything to stress about. Dyad isn't on the OFLC website (which was a digital release for PS3) so it's not a necessity that it appears on there.

oggob

As for the Australian availability, if it's regarding this post:

I don't think it's anything to stress about. Dyad isn't on the OFLC website (which was a digital release for PS3) so it's not a necessity that it appears on there.

I agree with you on TxK... because it is coming to the Vita, there is more of a chance because of the stupid mobile platform rules or whatever.. but I will correct you on Dyad, it has never been officially released on the AU storefront because it never got a classification. I remember reading somewhere that the creator didn't want to outlay the money for one.

Guess we'll see on Thursday morning...

Shaneus

I agree with you on TxK... because it is coming to the Vita, there is more of a chance because of the stupid mobile platform rules or whatever.. but I will correct you on Dyad, it has never been officially released on the AU storefront because it never got a classification. I remember reading somewhere that the creator didn't want to outlay the money for one.

Guess we'll see on Thursday morning...
Really? I could've sworn I saw it on there. I actually thought I'd bought it on there as well, but maybe not. I know I definitely have it on PC though :)

Interesting. I didn't know anything about this. My avatar insists I buy it.

Go to Ebay, buy the PS1 game "Tempest X2" (2 as in squared). You can unlock the Jag version of Tempest 2000 in Tempest X - 2000 is the better game. X is tweaked just a little, and not for the better.

Oh, perfect time to brag, also: I've beaten Tempest 2000, on the Jaguar, too (not PS1 or PC) which is friggin hard, and I'm very proud of it. Never played 3000 (who has?) and didn't take to Space Allard, though. Hopefully this one clicks.

Yeah I think I just want the nostalgia of the Jag controller though, but I had considered the PS1 version too.

Also completed 2K but never X2.

gazliddon

Neo Member
So excited :D Another day for us uk-ers

txk_by_shaneus2k2-d733p8q.gif

gazliddon

Neo Member
do we know how big it is?

There's a fair bit of music and that takes a bit of space apparently.

But the main game should be super small.

Jeff said that it has ONE TEXTURE, a 64x64 gradated blob used to make vector lines. And that's all.

SHORTER ANSWER: no idea :D

pelican

I will buy this when it hits the UK store on Wed.

I doubt I will be particularly great at it. But is still will be fun as I like Tempest.

PSN Gamertag is replicant-uk

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I doubt I will be particularly great at it. But is still will be fun as I like Tempest.

same. PSN id is KlawUK - will add a bunch of people here not so much for leaderboards but simply because you have great taste :)

Number45

same. PSN id is KlawUK - will add a bunch of people here not so much for leaderboards but simply because you have great taste :)
Yup, this will be me. I'll add you chaps later (GAF name = PSN name) as like having friends scores to aim for. :)

My Surge Deluxe leaderboards are completely empty. :'(

Yup, this will be me. I'll add you chaps later (GAF name = PSN name) as like having friends scores to aim for. :)

My Surge Deluxe leaderboards are completely empty. :'(

Just added you on mine for scoreboards. GAF=PSN.

Managed to get a grip of the mechanics last night and had a final attempt before bed 5 million score and 1.3 million clearance. Will be playing a lot more now I understand it better.

Shaneus

Some people have it already? So damn tempted to fire up my US account and buy it just so I have it for these next 24 hours or whatever before Euro/PAL/Aus(I hope) gets it.

nyarla

Neo Member

Yep, it's coming out in .au! From Giles on the Llamasoft forum:
I just asked Sony, for all those worried ( can anyone post something in case where people asks ? ) this is the reply :

100% coming out in Oz :)

Oz is covered by Europe and Jeff has ticked the box in the store metadata submission form so all is well :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Um, maybe start posting gamertags or something now, I'll edit them in when we have a number of them to collate.

Shaneus2k2, for starters!

I'd re-label that PSN ID's since gamertag is associated with XBL.

Same PSN as here for me.

Game looks eye melting.

stuminus3

How did he get stung? The first two Minotaur Project games are the reason I miss my iPhone.
The whole thing ended up costing him more money than he made. He's quite vocal about it on Twitter. The mobile market quite literally went to shit between his first and last iOS game. It's a shame, Minotaur Rescue, GoatUp and Gridrunner in particular are amazing.

BuzzJive

I got 48th on the leaderboard after my first game. That''s probably the highest I'll ever be.

It feels a little too clean to me on first impression. As in, I really liked the overwhelming nature of Space Giraffe. This is a return to the more Tempest 2000 gameplay for sure, but I really liked the over the top effects in SG.

But it's still awesome to play a modern Tempest again. Now do I play at my desk for the rest of the day or do work...

Top Bottom