• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Chucker

Most of us just got hit. Looks like a few ringers showed up. I had a score that would have been 4th on Nyarla's screen :(

Hm, I guess it needs to update, my score will be 4th when it shows up.

tCxAg9c.jpg

Aw yeah.

Agent X

Gold Member
Nice score! I'm just a few places below you.

The game is fantastic! It looks so crisp, and the frame rate is silky smooth. It's a real joy to play!

This game gave me the worst craving for blue Jello for some crazy reason. I ran to the store and whipped some up and now I'm back to playing this awesome game.

Anyone else play survival mode? So far I like it more than pure mode cuz I don't get myself killed trying to grab extra lives
and I suck at the bonus stages.

I'm buying a Vita for this game. I can't wait for the 2000 model I have to have this

Edit: did my part and bought nearly all of Minter's amazing ios games. Gridrunner is truly special

Yagharek

I haven't been on my Vita since my Fire Emblem/Animal Crossing addiction developed, but I'll be getting this for sure. Had a bit of a shooty warmup with Velocity today too.

I'm not sure if I'm quite ready for all these colours though.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
so howsthe game

Add me to the OP, if you'd Like. PSN: Kotd

Got around to playing a bit. Man, I haven't played tempest in years. I played a pc version of tempest back when windows 98 was a thing. This flooded me with memories of all the games that I used to play on that darn pc. Missile Command, Centipede. ahhhhh they all had like updated visuals or you could play the original. Fun times. Fun times

Sigh. These types of games are fun but I can only take my skills so far. I was hoping this would be a little more assecible than Space Giraffe. I guess it is somewhat but I always feel like I'm struggling against the controls in these games. My brain often flips left and right - usually when I really want to get a power up. Ugh!

Not that I will challenge anyone here but add me for scores: Radarscope1

VanWinkle

I am watching Rev3Games weekly live stream of games, where they just play and show off one or two games every week. Anthony Carboni was singing praises of TxK, and he and Adam Sessler mentioned how they would like to have streamed THAT game, but it's unfortunately kind of hard to stream Vita games. Would have been nice to see that get some exposure. I was really hoping Sony would have allowed video out via HDMI with that mystery port on the Vita, but it seems nothing came of it.

Remk

Ah yes just downloaded it and ready to give it a try, music sounds awesome!

Add me for an easy score to beat :D : RemkNG

Edgeward

Never really played temptest before but this game is fast, frantic and fun. Took me a couple games to get used to all the mechanics and understand certain things like using your smart bombs and all but i get better everytime.

How do I deal with enemies once they reach the top? Other than smart bombing I can get a reliable tactic

VanWinkle

Never really played temptest before but this game is fast, frantic and fun. Took me a couple games to get used to all the mechanics and understand certain things like using your smart bombs and all but i get better everytime.

How do I deal with enemies once they reach the top? Other than smart bombing I can get a reliable tactic

I was wondering this too. Right now I just hope I can get an AI Drone powerup to take care of it before they get to me, but I don't know if there's an easier, less luck-based way to do it.

Agent X

Gold Member
You have to remain in the adjacent lane, and fire just as the enemy begins to flip from its lane to your lane. You have to be careful with the timing, though, as holding down the X button does not actually fire constantly, but rather fires in bursts with a defined gap in between.

sheaaaa

I was wondering this too. Right now I just hope I can get an AI Drone powerup to take care of it before they get to me, but I don't know if there's an easier, less luck-based way to do it.

You have to slowly creep beside it and fire, usually gets it. Another way is to jump once you get that power-up, but you won't get score that way.

Also glad to see I'm still first on the Pure mode leaderboard! Probably should keep going to try and consolidate my place. It was a level 1 to about level 50 run, so anyone making it any further than that will obliterate my score.

VanWinkle

You have to remain in the adjacent lane, and fire just as the enemy begins to flip from its lane to your lane. You have to be careful with the timing, though, as holding down the X button does not actually fire constantly, but rather fires in bursts with a defined gap in between.

You have to slowly creep beside it and fire, usually gets it. Another way is to jump once you get that power-up, but you won't get score that way.

Also glad to see I'm still first on the Pure mode leaderboard! Probably should keep going to try and consolidate my place. It was a level 1 to about level 50 run, so anyone making it any further than that will obliterate my score.

Veeeerrry interesting. Thank you both.

nyarla

Neo Member

Yeah this :) and there are two ways to do it.. you can hold L trigger to stop your claw's movement and use the stick to lean into the adjacent lanes.. but (and I'm not sure if this is exactly the same, but with practice it's working well for me) with nice gentle stick nudging you can do the same thing without holding L. Slide up next to enemies and let one of your pincers move over into the next lane and they'll run into it.

I love the gentle inertia of your movement.. I never played Tempest with a trackball but I imagine this is made to feel kinda like that... feels amazing when you get good at it, whooshing around the rim and coming to a halt gradually (well the inertia curve is steep/quick, but not instant), with precision.

womp

Nasty bug when I try to access the friends high score roster. Game gives an error code and asks if I would like to submit a report then it crashes. Happens to a buddy of mine as well, we both discovered it within 15 min apart. The bad part there is, he isn't a big Vita fan (it belogs to his wife) and I actually bought the game for him since we are both huge Tempest 2k fans. This isn't impressing him. LOL

Hoping a patch will be incoming, otherwise the game is great. I need my friends roster though.

Shaneus

I am watching Rev3Games weekly live stream of games, where they just play and show off one or two games every week. Anthony Carboni was singing praises of TxK, and he and Adam Sessler mentioned how they would like to have streamed THAT game, but it's unfortunately kind of hard to stream Vita games. Would have been nice to see that get some exposure. I was really hoping Sony would have allowed video out via HDMI with that mystery port on the Vita, but it seems nothing came of it.
I know you can get an unofficial mod done to get video out (no idea if it's hdmi or rgb or whatever) but it's in the realm of $300 :/
Cheapest way would've been to get a Vita TV and capture card, I think.

PS. Still no sign on the Australian store :/ Wonder if EU is faring any better?

Jonnyram

I wish there was a better forum to engage Shahid and Yosp than Twitter.
Everytime I ask about indie games getting released in Japan, they just say "it's up to the developer" as if self-publishing in Japan is as simple as flicking a switch.

If Sony can't get a useful flow in place for indies to publish in Japan, I wish they would allow for multiple accounts to co-exist on a single Vita, at least. The process for swapping between Japan and US PSN accounts is way OTT right now.

Agent X

Gold Member
Yeah this :) and there are two ways to do it.. you can hold L trigger to stop your claw's movement and use the stick to lean into the adjacent lanes.. but (and I'm not sure if this is exactly the same, but with practice it's working well for me) with nice gentle stick nudging you can do the same thing without holding L. Slide up next to enemies and let one of your pincers move over into the next lane and they'll run into it.

Good tip. I was just about to post about the purpose of the L button (which I hadn't quite figured out earlier), but you beat me to it.

Also, when the "Maximum Bullets" message appears, it increases your firing ability to the point where holding X does appear to fire a constant stream, with no noticeable gap.

Nasty bug when I try to access the friends high score roster. Game gives an error code and asks if I would like to submit a report then it crashes. Happens to a buddy of mine as well, we both discovered it within 15 min apart. The bad part there is, he isn't a big Vita fan (it belogs to his wife) and I actually bought the game for him since we are both huge Tempest 2k fans. This isn't impressing him. LOL

Hoping a patch will be incoming, otherwise the game is great. I need my friends roster though.

I haven't encountered any bugs like this, but I don't think the friends scoreboard is working properly. I know a friend who is playing the game, and I was able to locate his score while scrolling through the global list. However, it doesn't appear when I try to filter to show only friends' scores.

Mar

I played the original Tempest in it's original dedicated cabinet for the first time this year. Using the trackball was a blast and you could really whip around the levels. As a self confessed Space Giraffe junky it was cool to play the game that bred one of the greatest and feel the gravity and physics of a trackball on the movement.

As for TxK, I'm tempted to grab a Vita for this but we'll see how things go. It does look pretty amazing but, as much as I hate to admit it, my hobby time has been completely sucked into another world so the chances of me playing it are a bit slim.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I played the original Tempest in it's original dedicated cabinet for the first time this year. Using the trackball was a blast and you could really whip around the levels. As a self confessed Space Giraffe junky it was cool to play the game that bred one of the greatest and feel the gravity and physics of a trackball on the movement.

Sorry to bum you out but the original Tempest arcade used a dial, also referred to here as a Rotary and not a trackball (unless you meant the dial/rotary/paddle). http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10065

1181242182201.jpg

Very hard to find an original cabinet today as a lot of dials got ripped out and changed to a joystick for some other game.

Mar

Sorry to bum you out but the original Tempest arcade used a dial, also referred to here as a Rotary and not a trackball (unless you meant the dial/rotary/paddle). http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10065

1181242182201.jpg

Very hard to find an original cabinet today as a lot of dials got ripped out and changed to a joystick for some other game.

Ahh yes! You're right. I knew it was some form of analogue swively action and could only remember that as trackball for some reason. It was a dial as you mention.

As for TxK, I'm tempted to grab a Vita for this but we'll see how things go. It does look pretty amazing but, as much as I hate to admit it, my hobby time has been completely sucked into another world so the chances of me playing it are a bit slim.

People modded Jaguar controllers just for this game and are still available on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Jag...Controllers&hash=item417c4dcb10#ht_672wt_1399

IT'S TODAY EU GAFFERS!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ahh yes! You're right. I knew it was some form of analogue swively action and could only remember that as trackball for some reason. It was a dial as you mention.

I am jealous. 1982 was the last time I played the original arcade, next time I played Tempest was the PSX version. Just think, that was a full priced retail release 15-16yrs ago.

Come on EU, update the store!

I am jealous. 1982 was the last time I played the original arcade, next time I played Tempest was the PSX version. Just think, that was a full priced retail release 15-16yrs ago.

Update is normally around 2-3pm :( Although I don't mind too much as I'm in work till 3.45!

Yeah I took a chance on that PSX version back when it came out, and I'm so glad I did.
SOOO many great memories playing that game.

yep, a patch is coming soon, hold tight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

how hard is it to get a simple video camera (or cheap DSLR) with manual focus, and lock down the vita? It'd take a couple of hours to setup but then you'd be able to stream anything. I don't understand why so many places just go 'well we don't have a devkit with HDMI out, so screw that'

I'm probably never going to be worth a shit. I'm in my 40s. The reflexes fail.

But fuck it. LexLucidity is the tag. Hit me up. I'll do my best.

Bottom line is this is THE T2K successor. Fuck T3K, fuck Space Giraffe. This is it. Finally. Thanks, Jeff.

I sure hope this hits PS4. I want the big screen and surround.

8bit

Knows the Score
lol, u old

How long is that from now? Silly UK person, you're dealing with Australians here!

6-7 hours from now.

PSN : stx38 if anyone wants to add me. It's been some time since I've played Tempest but I lost a lot of time to Space Giraffe.

Space_Giraffe_achievement_I_Adore_my_64.jpg

I'm probably never going to be worth a shit. I'm in my 40s. The reflexes fail.

But fuck it. LexLucidity is the tag. Hit me up. I'll do my best.

Bottom line is this is THE T2K successor. Fuck T3K, fuck Space Giraffe. This is it. Finally. Thanks, Jeff.

I sure hope this hits PS4. I want the big screen and surround.

Honestly this on the PS4 in 3D with Pulse Elites and the Bass Impact up would just be gaming euphoria!

This game is every bit as amazing as I was hoping! Plays really well with a nice learning curve. Being able to restart at the last level you reached is nice too. The soundtrack is fantastic too, play this up loud with headphones!

Top Bottom