• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials - The New York Times

You've now had three different people from three separate countries talk to you about the stigma associated with breastfeeding and you have yet to meaningfully reply to any of the points associated with the subject. At this point it appears as if you're more interested in scoring forum points than having an actual discussion about breastfeeding.

Would this link help you understand where we are coming from?

http://www.momtastic.com/parenting/483361-stop-bottle-shaming-ok-not-breastfeed/

I don't disagree with the fact that breastfeeding has a stigma. What forum points?

I don’t think it’s about ignoring/being afraid of the science; rather, it’s about acknowledging it but allowing people to make their own minds up and not regulating their choices. The only regulation I would be in favour of here is blatant false marketing by the manufacturers but that’s already illegal.

To go back to actual issue of the thread, the US pulling out of WHO recommendations is basically pulling back on acknowledged world wide data.

I can't keep going back into arguing what the articles say with rokka, cause I literally can't read them. So I'll take rokka's word for what they are saying.

Last edited:
Suddenly? from the first links you posted I said "You linked to things, I tried my best to read them through google translate".

If you want to wait while I learn the language, I'll get back to you, but like I said from what I read there wasn't the implication you put forth.

I mean, your last sentence, that's what I said.

Really? You're really pretending you haven't gone a completely different direction.

>Proof of this?
>Those are all in foreign language and the google translate versions do not indicate anything to what you aluded to "dragging to hell to breast feed".
>There was no "why" in my comment. You linked to things, I tried my best to read them through google translate (lol?) None of them indicated what you implied about being "dragged to hell"

Sorry, but these were your responses and that's far from what "my last sentence" said. You could've just taken it as face value, since you are unable to understand the language, instead you tried to play PhD Google Translate and try to imply that the hardship wasn't mentioned in the said articles and then you further had no amount of humility in realizing you were out of your element and instead never asked anything close to what I wrote there at the end. Viewing it in the whole context of the thread it just seems like you just want to argue from the conclusion you've set for and thus anything rocking with it you'll try to overexert yourself to push away, even when someone speaks about the issue in a specific country, you'll try to pretend you'll be able to deal with the issue written about in a cultural context and a foreign language you can't understand. If numerous articles from the biggest newspapers and nursing specific and research specific sites somehow doesn't make you think it's an actual thing, then you're truly lost. There are numerous ways for you to continue to argue this without trying to pretend to be able to argue norwegian with me. You could argue that even though women will feel pressured by it and it will impact their family life and work situation, "it's the best for the child, even if by not a large margin, it's still the best, and the aggregate netpositive is what we should care about and that's why we should push hard". Then you'd at least not look like you're trying to talk out of your arse, but then you're also committing further to the issue and there's of course more facets to attack.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I don't disagree with the fact that breastfeeding has a stigma. What forum points?

To go back to actual issue of the thread, the US pulling out of WHO recommendations is basically pulling back on acknowledged world wide data.

I can't keep going back into arguing what the articles say with rokka, cause I literally can't read them. So I'll take rokka's word for what they are saying.

Recommendations and regulations are different things though.

greyshark

These statements of yours implied that you were not aware of the stigma (or were only aware of the breastfeeding in public one).

I know there's a stigma around breastfeeding, that quote isn't about breastfeeding in public.

Why does your wife or you feel the need to lie to your general practitioner about your medical issues?

If you are in fact aware of the stigma discussed earlier than I apologize.

These statements of yours implied that you were not aware of the stigma (or were only aware of the breastfeeding in public one).

If you are in fact aware of the stigma discussed earlier than I apologize.

It's cool. public stigma and stigma with doctors are two things and I get that they can be present in both settings.

Papa

Banned
Yes, they are. WHO recommendations aren't regulations. and I missing something?

That’s what I’m struggling to interpret from the article. The language isn’t clear on exactly what the “resolution” would’ve entailed. In one paragraph they say it’s about “encouraging” breast feeding, then the next it says that policy makers need to restrict the promotion of formula. Based on the article, I can’t tell if it’s about recommendations or regulations.

Nicktendo86

My wife struggled to breastfeed, for whatever reason (still not sure why to this day) it jus never clicked. The first night we spent in hospital with our new baby the midwives refused to help with feeding and insisted my wife had to breastfeed. It was only when we started giving our daughter formula she started to finally have proper feeds and started to put on the weight.

Breast feeding might well be best but too much pressure is put on parents IMHO, especially when formula is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom