• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces Assassin’s Creed Infinity, which is rumored to be an expanding live service project

Azurro

Banned
they didn’t buy as many copies of those games as the new ones have sold

No amount of copies sold would have deterred Ubi Soft from trying this out. Every publisher loves the idea of having their own Fortnite, having a relatively low monthly investment and in turn getting that really high DLC revenue, much less risk once the platform is established.

I didn't get last year's AC and I guess this is my time to definitely move away from the franchise. I don't get live service games anyway, why spend money every month to do the same thing over and over and over?

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
While I'm not defending Ubisoft I do find it kind of hilarious how many of you are off the Assassins Creed bandwagon simply because Ubi isn't committing to yearly 60eu releases any more with AC Infinite lol. We know nothing about the upcoming title/experience and it might as well be exactly the same (considering the amount of monetization currently present in the AC games) except for the initial premium price required to play.

Let's just wait and see eh? Who knows, we might get an AC in a similar vein to the recent Hitman trilogy. I for one definitely would prefer a more toned down AC in terms of scope rather than the bloated collectathons they've become over the years. I'm probably in the minority but the last AC game I finished was Origins and I really had to force myself to complete that. Before that I struggled to see Brotherhood to the end and I still have Revelations in its original seal. They're not bad games by any stretch of the imagination but they've definitely become a homogenous mess and still suffer from the same padding and poor writing that plagued them all those years ago. There's hints of brilliance here and there but they always fall short for me. I guess I'm not that big of an Assassins Creed fan to be really bothered by this news, if anything I'm looking forward to see what they've got cooking. Besides we're talking 2024 here no? That's like a lifetime away so anything can happen between then and now. Lets give them a chance before disregarding it outright simply because we see "ONLINE LIVE SERVICE FORTNITE KILLER" that all these clickbait websites run with.

Last edited:

Three

That tweet is wild, it goes from the future of AC to workplace abuse in like 1.5 sentence.

Anyway, so many red flags here. Ubi chasing the "LIIIIIIIVE SERVICE" dragon even though it's already becoming clear that live service is hardly ever worth it. Then there's the idea that this won't come out in another 3 years, which is fucking bananas. You think the live service market will be better by then? No, it'll be even worse.

I don't know what's going on with Ubi the last couple of years but it's been a cavalcade of bad ideas.
I hate GAAS but how so to the bolded? If anything the subscriptions are pushing everyone to do f2p type live service type games to monetise. Look at Rare compared to 15 years ago, look at Respawn, look at COD warzone and soon look at Battlefield. Financially it's not a bad idea but it sure as hell isn't a good creative one.

If anything, it will just set up a nostalgic return to form they can release every year for everyone else. I'm pretty sure this is the plan, creating a whale path and a prestige path.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Assassin's Creed Infinity plans to be a live service platform. The GameSpot After Dark Crew discusses the potential benefits the series could gain, as well as how exhausting the idea of an infinite amount of Assassin's Creed content sounds.

Thanks mods for the title change

cat dancing GIF

Last edited:
Live service doesn't mean always online. AC infinite will be platform now and it will have yearly story expansions. They were doing yearly AC games, basically recycling shit and charging full price but going this model, they can just release big story expansions without charging full price. Halo will do same.

How about we wait and see how it work before jumping onto conclusion? Why live service is considered as bad? Every game with DLC and expansions is a live service game.
No dlc and expansion isn't live serve, huge difference. Live service is poison to the industry in many ways such as micro transactions,drm and the game completely changed from what it was originally in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buki1

I would love smaller in scale and more focused AC game after bloated Odyssey and Valhalla, and they choose to make AC game content not huge, but literally infinite? And with other online players on your map? This sounds like a chore to play honestly.

No dlc and expansion isn't live serve, huge difference. Live service is poison to the industry in many ways such as micro transactions,drm and the game completely changed from what it was originally in time.
You will be wrong and i will be right. Just wait n watch

Neil Young

Man, you guys that refuse to play the newer Creed trilogy have missed out on some fun shit. What other games let you climb one of the Great Pyramids and slide down it or hang off of Zeus' cock? Valhalla changed up the combat and totally reworked the loot system...also while being able to burn villages and kill innocent people (just not many as the game gets mad at you).

BootsLoader

Banned
Meh, Assassins creed games were dead anyway. Who cares. Serious assassins creed games stopped somewhere around black flag. Next games didn’t even make any sense. Good bye AC. I enjoyed the first games.

Last edited:

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
That's not a bad idea IMO, the main appeal of the franchise for me are the historical settings, the gameplay itself is at best mildly entertaining, at worst fillers and an excuse to explore the cities/worlds.
And I never cared about the plot.
Valhalla’s plot is hilariously stupid and doesn’t make a lick of sense, so you had the right attitude.

Elysion

Banned
I always wondered why there weren’t any single-player ‘live-service’ games, where you keep getting new story content on a regular basis. Imagine if Bethesda had released new Skyrim expansions every year; I certainly wouldn’t have complained. If that’s the direction Ubisoft is going, then I’m not opposed. Then again, this is Ubisoft, so who knows…

Valhalla was overall great but my god was it long just for the sake of being long , so much filler content even most of the story arcs after a while didn't made sense and was just filler garbage
I can actually see it working like a refined mix of rdr 2,diablo and an MMO type of online game , with raids , dungeons pvp and shit like that
But knowing ubisoft I can guarantee they will fuck this up big time

junguler

Banned
i would love a assassins creed game that had many different playable assassins with their own story campaigns but the gaas part is just a huge turn off. make a complete game and sell it, is that too much to ask for? apparently yes.

Assassins-Creed-dummy-menu.jpg

Agent X

I always wondered why there weren’t any single-player ‘live-service’ games, where you keep getting new story content on a regular basis. Imagine if Bethesda had released new Skyrim expansions every year; I certainly wouldn’t have complained. If that’s the direction Ubisoft is going, then I’m not opposed. Then again, this is Ubisoft, so who knows…

There have been single-player episodic games, such as many of the adventure games from Telltale Games. These are usually designed from the beginning as episodic in format.

You could also look at games like Uncharted 4 and inFamous: Second Son. Both of these games were "complete" adventures, but the developers also planned related "story expansions", which ultimately evolved into full-fledged standalone games that were sold at a reduced price. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and inFamous: First Light were both well received by players.

I could accept a well-designed episodic Assassin's Creed game, as long as the episodes are offered at a fair price. They could use either the Telltale model, or the model used in the Uncharted/inFamous games mentioned above.

FunkMiller

This move is a triumph for anyone who enjoys games that go on and on and on, with no end in sight, and have no satisfying conclusions to any storyline.

You know. Morons.

Gene Wilder Lol GIF

As someone who has played Assassin's Creed since the very first release and has 100% achievement/trophy hunted all of them up to the current release, I think this is one of the best and smartest decisions they could of made going forward. I'll explain why - releasing a new game/setting every year I could see how it would get very taxing and tiring. What new features do we introduce for next or 2 years later release? Which setting should we do and why? Ok, but we need DLC in between. These questions and decision end up being very taxing on the developers and publisher.

With the game as a service format, they can just update the game as the years go on, with very large updates every year or 2 years or so.

I've also played Sea of Thieves since launch and that game is absolutely amazing now. As a proud Assassin's Creed fan, I am very excited for this.

Last edited:
I believe something along these lines is what Microsoft has planned for Halo Infinite. This may not be such a bad idea at all depending on the execution. I'm not naturally opposed to games with a service based or multiplayer centric element, so long as it doesn't come at the detriment of an amazing solo experience.

mortal

Gold Member
In my humble opinion, it's a real fucking shame how the Assassin's Creed series turned out. It had so much interesting potential with the initial ancestor simulator premise.
With the continued focus on innovative crowd AI and behavior, the denser sandbox level design could've become something truly remarkable. Ubisoft instead went too vast with the later entries.
Lost the focus and much of that craftsmanship and uniqueness of that defined the series.

Last edited:

Hugare

Ubi going the live services route is so fucking dumb

Fallen Order have proven that other companies besides Sony can sell tons with AAA singleplayer games

You just need to, *shockingly*, make a good game

Dont need to be bloated, dont need to have microtransactions ... Just make a fun game

How many live services they really expect us to play at the same time?

Do they think that we have 24h of gaming per day?

Blond

Banned
does anyone even still remember Desmond and the trilogy and Illuminati and all that weird shit with Veronica Mars?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I don't think GaaS is bad but all the current implementation in games is pretty bad.

I'm all for games as good as Destiny 2 or better continuing to live on with great content to do on a regular basis and keep me coming back after some breaks.

Problem for me is every ubisoft game ever made has been "ok" at best. No game in their line up has been the best at its time for the genre it occupies. The best thing they've put out IMO is R6 Siege and it had a great run...feels too bloated now because they won't move onto a true sequel.

AC GaaS is not even remotely something I want. The core gameplay loops of AC games is so mundane and run around on a wheel like a hamster, that to do it as a GaaS won't change shit. It'll just cost you more to run on that same wheel of mediocre rehashed content.

At one point, if I had made a list of companies to trust in creating a live service game... Ubisoft has honestly got to be somewhere at the bottom of it.

That being said, they do seem to be learning the ropes. When you see someone like EA send a game like Anthem down the river at the first sign of trouble. While Ubisoft instead chose to stand behind their studios, and give them the time and tools to create successes like R6 and For Honor. It's hard to lump them together in the same group.

The biggest issue Ubisoft has when it comes to these games, is that they still can't seem to break the habit of focusing too strongly on a single concept. R6 has a fairly simple premise, as well as For Honor, which is likely why they do so well. Yet when it comes to multiplayer, they can't nail down how to nail down the various combat, stealth, traversal, etc... into a cohesive game. It's one thing to make it in singleplayer. It's much tougher to successfully accomplish it in multiplayer.

There's people who are against live service games as a whole, and there's several valid reasons for that. However, there does seem to be people who aren't really against live service games, but tend to lump Ubi in with all the other bad actors when it comes to that.

xrnzaaas

i would love a assassins creed game that had many different playable assassins with their own story campaigns but the gaas part is just a huge turn off. make a complete game and sell it, is that too much to ask for? apparently yes.

Assassins-Creed-dummy-menu.jpg
The main problem with the gaas route is that it's very likely you're going to be given more of (roughly) the same product to consume. So it doesn't matter that you get more locations and more playable characters if it's going to be more of the same soulless product.

But hey, many people love the new AC games and I personally know of at least a few who spent 100+ hours with Valhalla and Odyssey trying to achieve 100% completion. I guess that's just not my thing as I got bored with all of them since Origins pretty quickly.

Kenpachii

The main problem with the gaas route is that it's very likely you're going to be given more of (roughly) the same product to consume. So it doesn't matter that you get more locations and more playable characters if it's going to be more of the same soulless product.

But hey, many people love the new AC games and I personally know of at least a few who spent 100+ hours with Valhalla and Odyssey trying to achieve 100% completion. I guess that's just not my thing as I got bored with all of them since Origins pretty quickly.

Some people play games for 1000's of hours and a game like AC with 100-200 hours isn't remotely long in there eyes. Games like 10-30 hours in there eyes are straight up not even seen as games but rather demo's.

Different crowd. And i am such a person.

While people that come from 10-30 hour journeys think that ac valhalla is massive and frankly way to big. I find it far to small. I need more content and i will get more more content with the DLC's out of it. The same way i could go for AC origin that's 3x longer. i found the game relative short.

Different demograph and that's also why a lot of people are bashing it that are not used towards longer type of games. Every game i buy and touch has 100's of hours of content and that's a minimum, 1000's of hours and its a successful game to me.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i agree with you regarding gaas, the seam is always going to show and the flaws will become more and more apparent with these kinds of games as time passes, the main issue is how soulless and corporate these kinds of games are inherently. they are built to be most profitable and keep the player invested with his time and money but in the end they feel like eating fast food, it might taste good at the time but it leaves you sick and without much nutrients at all.

i wouldn't bunch gaas games with 100+ hr single player games tho, altho there are some similarities between these two i like the kind of long games that have meaningful story and campaign and also have fun gameplay scenarios to support the kind of time investment they require to complete. clearing outposts around the map, fighting giant enemies, discovering mysteries etc ... i like the kind of busywork these kinds of games have, it keeps me playing a game i already love.

that's why it's a sad news hearing assassins creed going the gaas route, i already loved this franchise because most of it's games require significant time investment to complete which i gladly put because i love the gameplay loop and the mission structure but the gaas idea fucks it all up.

Top Bottom