• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft donates 500.000€ to rebuild Notre Dame + AC Unity now available for FREE (link inside)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey Ubisoft, while you're at it, why not enhance Unity on Pro and X.
It will, afterall, present Notre Dame in it's full high rez beauty.... :)

lukilladog

You are both ridiculous, France is one of the largest donors when it comes to foreign aid:
  • France is the fifth-largest donor country, spending US$11.3 billion on net official development assistance (ODA) in 2017, a 15% increase from 2016. This represents 0.43% of its gross national income (GNI), up from 0.38% in 2016.
They also spend more on social welfare than most other countries, basically a third of its GDP goes towards helping people in need:
  • In 2016, France spent €714.5 billion on social welfare which represents 32.1 percent of the country's GDP compared to an average of 27.5 percent for the rest of the European Union.
And that's not even mentioning the capital generated by private donations through welfare NGOs.

Also you should be aware that obesity is linked to poverty, because cheap low quality food is rich in empty calories, like sugar, and low on nutrients. In many cases, living a healthy live is costly, hence why obesity is more prevalent within poor populations rather than rich ones. In the U.S., the most “obese” state, Arkansas, is also the fourth poorest state overall, whereas the poorest state, Mississippi, is also the third most overweight. In the UK, obesity prevalence for children living in the most deprived areas in both age groups was more than double that of those living in the least deprived areas. So the next time you're ridiculing someone for his weight, you might wanna think about that.

Also, the Church does not own Notre Dame, but the state, which is also the case in most European countries. If you want to virtue-signal because you've picked up on the latest fallacious injustice that's currently trending on social media, at the very least inform yourself before spreading false information based on fake outrage.

Lastly, your whole argument is based on the fallacy of relative privation. If something is worse than the problem currently being discussed, that doesn't mean that the problem currently being discussed isn't that important at all. If you can't complain about X just because there exists another problem, Y, that's worse than X, then the only person who has any right to complain at all is the person who objectively has it worst in every way possible. The other 7 billion people's problems are meaningless by this reasoning.

If you'd truly care about the poor people of this world, you'd actually inform yourself on what's actually being done and what's not being done. Your general lack of knowledge in this regard merely indicates that your interest is not in helping people, but in hollow moral grandstanding.

I was talking of France as a whole, but ok, I still don´t see why extremely wealthy philantropists should be asking for money to rebuild their money printing properties, they literally passed the bill, I´m sure they have massive funds somewhere destinated to rebuild their infrastructure in case of disasters... but I can guess, they are like any other government, they have politicians that mean well, but also lots of scum, if only more people called them out.

As for the obesity, correlation doesn´t mean causation, obesity and "poverty" in those states both relate to cultural issues, obesity in Bishops and Padres obeys to having extra rations, gluttony is a sin over there, so yeah I find fat religious authorities particularly absurd, that´s why so many people think that religion is about control and power.

And about the relative privation argument, that´s about linking worse or better scenarios to illicitly make a claim about an specific situation, which I didn´t do.

As for information, don´t be disingenuous, there is not such thing as too much help in large scale humanitarian crisis, that just doesn´t happen, not even when they take place in the most wealthy and humanitarian country in the world.

Last edited:

ph33rknot

Banned
You know, it's entirely possible to not believe in a God or Gods, but recognise and acknowledge the artistry, skill and beauty in all that has come before in terms of human endeavour as well as the cultural debt we owe to those belief systems even if they are less relevant as humanity goes forward.
duh lol i dont believe and love the architecture of many religious sites

ph33rknot

Banned
I'm trying to see what you're adding to the conversation here aside from 'I' and some attitude
my original post was its not just a religious thing it's a part of our history what don't you understand about that

Last edited:

lukilladog

? All Atheists are effectively Agnostic. To say otherwise is to take it purely on faith, which is a little odd to me. Am I misinterpreting your post?

Edit - I think I am.

I don´t want to derail the thread, but I think you might be getting confused. Theological faith is that which gives you the knowledge of god (allegedly a gift from himself), atheists like us, we just got it removed because of reasons :messenger_neutral: So you must be talking about it in coloquial terms, synonimous with trust, but there is nothing odd about having trust, we can thank evolution for it... or not, it´s just a process, now that would be odd :messenger_grinning_squinting:

duh lol i dont believe and love the architecture of many religious sites

Me too, but he is talking about some "debts" to religious organizations for bringing us beautiful architecture... I don´t know, you wanna talk about debts?, I will never forgive them for destroying this (back in the day, but still), temple was on it´s prime when they got there:

iu

Last edited:
Top Bottom