• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft financials: 65% revenue increase YoY, Watch Dogs 9 million shipped

MauroNL

Ubisoft has released its financial report for the first-half of its FY15, with the firm noting a 65% increase in sales.

Sales for the first half of 2014-15 came to €484.2 million, up 65.1% compared with the €293.3 million year-over-year.

During Q2 of FY15, the firm reported €124.1 million in sales, a 42.9% decline, versus €217.7 million for the same period the prior year.

The press release highlighted 9 million sold-in units for Watch Dogs, which means shipped to stores, basically.

Ubisoft also highlighted digital sales growth of 90.4% with €134.7 million in revenue for the sector. Digital sales made up 27.8% of total sales for the period.

The firm’s back catalog remained stable at €113.7 million, thanks to the performance of Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Far Cry 3 and Rayman Legends.

A call to investors will take place soon, and if anything interesting comes out of it, we’ll let you know.

Press Release in PDF

Arttemis

Ubisoft isn't going to change what they're doing, which is pretty disappointing, but I hope that means they'll continue with gems like South Park: Stick of Truth and Rayman.

untitledfsfmiu2b.png

Paskil

After seeing these numbers, no one should really be surprised why they have dropped nearly all support for WiiU.

Damerman

man, thats fucking bullshit. This "new IP" is released with the most generic gameplay of all time and it shipps 9 million copies... and now they are going to milk this poor formula until the market is saturated the same way as AC... what is so hard about creating value? why do these publishers insist on running their IPs to the ground?

I don't have a problem with the watch dogs IP, its just that this and AC set a precedent for how Ubi are going to attack the "New IP"... they are going to release a game masquarding as having new revolutionary gameplay, but when it comes out, its actually a 7 at best due to riskless gameplay and then when the IP is established, they will "improve" it in SMALL inconsequential Yearly iterations.

Sure, its a nice comfortable place to be, but one of the things i've learned from business is to never get comfortable.

Also: nice to see PC getting consistent numbers year over year.

they deserve it. great games, great variety, and an example of a healthy large development studio, supporting over 9k jobs.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
man, thats fucking bullshit. This "new IP" is released with the most generic gameplay of all time and it shipps 9 million copies... and now they are going to milk this poor formula until the market is saturated the same way as AC... what is so hard about creating value? why do these publishers insist on running their IPs to the ground?

I don't have a problem with the watch dogs IP, its just that this and AC set a precedent for how Ubi are going to attack the "New IP"... they are going to release a game masquarding as having new revolutionary gameplay, but when it comes out, its actually a 7 at best due to riskless gameplay and then when the IP is established, they will "improve" it in SMALL inconsequential Yearly iterations.

Sure, its a nice comfortable place to be, but one of the things i've learned from business is to never get comfortable.

AC, their biggest franchise, is the only thing that is heavily annualized, Watch Dogs doesn't even have a sequel yet. Why wouldn't they work on something that's obviously successful and that a lot of people enjoyed? Obviously it's working. Not to mention the new ips and Ubiart games. No need to be angry at their successful strategy.

Ubi doing good. I really don't mind their AAA blockbusters as they also release niche games like Rayman and Might & Magic that EA or Activision would never do.

Teeth

Ubisoft likely doesn't feel like they've bee staying comfortable. As similar as Watch Dogs is to their other IP, the cost of developing and marketing it was likely much higher than any Splinter Cell, Far Cry, or AC sequel.

Also, Ubisoft is the only major publisher green lighting stuff like Rayman, Child of Eden, and Valiant Hearts, regardless of their quality.

Totaly deserved.They are the best big publisher alongside Take Two.
Doesn't get the hate WD is getting, downgrade aside the gunplay is awesome and the hacking system can create some funny situations. The story is shit though.

Totaly deserved.They are the best big publisher alongside Take Two.
Doesn't get the hate WD is getting, downgrade aside the gunplay is awesome and the hacking system can create some funny situations. The story is shit though.

you know, despite all the downgrade complaints the game still looked amazing graphically

jcm

That digital sales growth is really something. Seems like that's the big story of all the earnings nowadays.

Publishers must be loving MS giving them marketing/exclusive deals. They sell the most on the PS4 and then reap further rewards from MS. It's win-win for them.

bombshell

Yeah I'm very surprised at the Xbox One numbers. I didn't expect them to be that low.

The sales gap worldwide is probably very close to 2:1 in favor of the PS4.

So the percentage of sales between them is not too surprising, although a little in favor of the PS4 compared to the install bases.

Serenity

Looking at those splits its probably why EA doesn't reveal platform breakdowns anymore. Their investors would probably wonder why they aren't supporting Ps4 more than X1.

Blablurn

I started playing WD this week. And even though I was hating on it when it came out I have to admit that it's not too bad. They story is terrible but the gameplay is pretty good. I barely pay attention to the story. I just go from mission to mission cause its fairly entertaining.

R1CHO

And their net income was only 17.1 million euros? Am I reading that right?

At least they didn't loss money like in their previous year.

Jb

Did they say how well South Park did? I'd like to think it was good enough to give Obsidian more leverage in securing new projects.

grendelrt

Did they say how well South Park did? I'd like to think it was good enough to give Obsidian more leverage in securing new projects.

I would like to know how much it sold as well, sucks for THQ, they had this and Saints Row on the way before they died a horrible death.

Fantastic performance and great for the industry. I cannot wait for Watch Dogs 2. Yeah the story wasn't the greatest but the actual gameplay was fantastic.

Top Bottom