• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft financials: 65% revenue increase YoY, Watch Dogs 9 million shipped

Hip Hop

I like it!

Really enjoyed Watch Dogs, almost like a fresh of breath air for me in the open world space.

Looking forward to the 2nd one.

Gator86

Ubisoft isn't going to change what they're doing, which is pretty disappointing, but I hope that means they'll continue with gems like South Park: Stick of Truth and Rayman.

Agreed. If people wolfing down a heaping helping of shit in the form of watch dogs allows Ubi to also throw out lower performing titles like Rayman, I'm totally fine with this.

Good for Watchdogs, it's not a terrible game and I'd like to see them develop into something good (ala Assassin Creed to Assassin's Creed 2). I'd be interested to know how/if they do any post-release focus groups.

It will be interesting to compare the legs of Watch Dogs versus Destiny over the next several months. 9 million is not a bad for a new IP. Let's see if Destiny eclipses the number over the long term.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Nice to see PC doing well for them.

And wow, didn't expect PS4 to be that much higher than the xbone.

It's got to be Europe that's causing that huge difference, and it makes sense if you look at the HW sales gap between the two consoles.

Ubisoft must be very happy with the PS4. Surprised they don't do more deals with Sony. Also the delusion level on the crew sales is hilarious.

geordiemp

they deserve it. great games, great variety, and an example of a healthy large development studio, supporting over 9k jobs.

Yup, Ubi were doing well until they opened their parity mouths and tarnished their image.

Stuff like Rayman and filler titles are good to see.

_machine

Because they're a shit company that makes lazy shit games.
Actually, they're a company the makes games enjoyed by millions of people, just that their target audience really isn't here on NeoGaf. They also house thousands of great and passionate developers and the people I've met from there have all been awesome.

Fuck, do they think Watch dogs was a success? I fucking hate videogaming. Watch dogs was a terrible abomination of a game. GG Ubisoft but I'm done picking up your collectible diarrhea carriers.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Millions of people thought Hitler was great too, doesn't mean he was.
Did you just compare a company that makes video games to Hitler? And the people who enjoy said video games to the people who liked Hitler? ._.

K' Dash

Because they're a shit company that makes lazy shit games.

Sad to see 9 million mugs who bought Watchdogs.

dude, you're so cool and edgy!

Deserved, I had so much fun with Watch_Dogs, here's hoping they improve the formula with the sequel.

Xando

Millions of people thought Hitler was great too, doesn't mean he was.

Wat8.jpg

Justified

Originally Posted by Rivyn

Now I kind of understand as to why Ubisoft chose Microsoft to promote Unity. That difference in sales is quite substantial.

I don't understand ?

PS4 is going to sell regardless, Marketing through Microsoft will boost sells for them.

PS4 maintains + MS boost = Super Win for Ubi

Surprised by the large gap between PS4 and X1 sales, whoa.

Also biggest points are right here on page 2 of their release especially digital sales being up 90%, huge increase:

Ubisoft’s sales performance in first-half 2014-15 reflects:

The ongoing success of Watch Dogs®, with more than 9 million units sold in.

A 90.4% surge in digital segment revenues, which reached €134.7 million (27.8% of total sales), fueled by digital distribution, mobile operations and sales of items and DLC.

A firm back catalog showing, stable at €113.7 million, thanks to the performance of Assassin’s Creed ® Black Flag, South Park TM: The Stick of Truth TM, Far Cry® 3 and Rayman® Legends.

Not sure how to feel about this.

Was very disappointed in Watch Dogs since the world just wasnt interesting to explore.

OTOH low sales of big expensive projects like this could mean they shift money to other areas like mobile, F2P or whatever

Apart from all those people who complained the gameplay was the usual lazy, generic Ubisoft shite.

The gunplay feels like no Ubisoft games and I played Blacklist, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon, The hacking system albeit limited is a real twist compared to other Open world. The only thing they have in common are optional stuff like activate the different point of the map and the collectible. If you don't like them don't do them.

Crossing Eden

Apart from all those people who complained the gameplay was the usual lazy, generic Ubisoft shite.
It's fine if you don't like Ubi games but that doesn't mean that their success isn't deserved.

Damerman

AC, their biggest franchise, is the only thing that is heavily annualized, Watch Dogs doesn't even have a sequel yet. Why wouldn't they work on something that's obviously successful and that a lot of people enjoyed? Obviously it's working. Not to mention the new ips and Ubiart games. No need to be angry at their successful strategy.

I'm not angry with their successful strategy, I'm angry with how it got to be so successful and how it makes them complacent. Complacent might be the wrong word... probably more like severely(to a fault) business-minded. The same thing that Activision are doing with COD. One of the most dubious foundations of business is: past history shows _____ so we should _____. Yes, its the smart thing to do because thats all we have to go on as dumb business men trying to earn a living... but what about another fundamental aspect of business: greater risk = greater returns.

I'm not saying GTA V is the riskiest AAA.... but it sure as hell can be pound for pound compared to the others. Look at those returns 34 million units... Nothing proves that Ubisoft is the most risk averse publisher than the fact that they extrapolate this "unlock map by going to the top of this to get more missions" structure to all their AAA open world games. And frankly, its becoming painfully obvious. They need to change, they are coagulating into a clot. To their credit, they have a diverse portolio that could see them through rough times, unlike Activision/Blizzard who has all their eggs in the COD/WOW basket. But still... they need to shake things up.

Shredderi

Ubisoft has become a very well oiled machine pumping out games fast and making a bank with them. It seems that Ubisoft makes profit pretty consistently. Nice to soo pc doing well. Xbone numbers are lower than I expected.

Durante

I'm sure 16% of the 17% PC were purchases of Might and Magic X: Legacy, the best game Ubisoft released this year. Right?

... right?

iNvid02

no wonder nobody is letting go of last gen yet, too much money still on the table.

gotta watch my sodium intake though, these past few ubi threads have provided more than enough

Setsuna

I'm not saying GTA V is the riskiest AAA.... but it sure as hell can be pound for pound compared to the others. Look at those returns 34 million units... Nothing proves that Ubisoft is the most risk averse publisher than the fact that they extrapolate this "unlock map by going to the top of this to get more missions" structure to all their AAA open world games. And frankly, its becoming painfully obvious. They need to change, they are coagulating into a clot. To their credit, they have a diverse portolio that could see them through rough times, unlike Activision/Blizzard who has all their eggs in the COD/WOW basket. But still... they need to shake things up.
EDIT: Two questions

If they remove it would it make the game better? And if they did remove it would you not just complain about the next common denominator?

Crossing Eden

I'm not angry with their successful strategy, I'm angry with how it got to be so successful and how it makes them complacent. Complacent might be the wrong word... probably more like severely(to a fault) business-minded. The same thing that Activision are doing with COD. One of the most dubious foundations of business is: past history shows _____ so we should _____. Yes, its the smart thing to do because thats all we have to go on as dumb business men trying to earn a living... but what about another fundamental aspect of business: greater risk = greater returns.
I'd consider turning a series named Assassin's Creed into a full fledged pirate simulator to be pretty risky. There's also the bunch of new things they put out every year using Ubiart. They try more new things than any other triple A publisher imho because they have the size and dev teams for it.

Top Bottom