• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Ghost Recon Wildlands is still 2017's best selling game worldwide

To be honest, I feel like I hear about Madden and FIFA way more than I do Wildlands. I don't think I've seen anyone talk about it outside of sales threads ("whoa how did Wildlands sell so much") and the one time I saw it streamed on Twitch. I own a copy of it thanks to my GTX 1080, and have been meaning to try it at some point but still have a ton of 2017 games to get through first.

Murdamonk

We're not entirely sure, but it's almost assuredly some selection of the following:
- Ghost Recon
- GTA V
- For Honor
- Zelda
- Injustice 2
- Resident Evil
- Horizon
- FIFA 17

Injustice 2? Really?? I didn't expected the game to do this well...

_RT_

This game was my first Platinum. Never even considered it before and not a huge fan of trophies in general.

It's a blast.

I have to finish Prey so I can jump back in.

As I've said previously this is the game that is set up perfectly for a Battlegrounds-esque type game for both solo and team play. They should scrap whatever they had planned for PvP and use part the map here for that type of game mode.

True, I have had an occasion where they won't revive me, but that has only happened 2 times in more deaths than I am willing to admit. Honestly most of the time I tell them to stay back unless shit hits the fan, then I send in the rebels and them.

Curious how much of this game you have actually played. It's got the same variety a GTA game has as far as mission structure.

It is absolutely nothing like GTA. GTA has unique mission variety with plot lines that lead those along. Wildlands you either interrogate or kill your target to unlock the ability to go do it again, and again, and again. I haven't beaten but I'm sure after hours of doing nothing but that, unless it has some sort of paradigm shift, it's gonna be like the for most of the game.

Honestly kinda blows me away. From what I have played it was average to bad in almost every regard.

Pretty much how I feel. Was relatively excited for the game. It's about as bad as a game can be without being broken or a buggy mess.

AlexBasch

Well shit, I didn't know the game was legit fun as a solo experience. It's the main reason I avoided it really hard, didn't want to end up with another "best experienced with friends" thing in my library.

Gonna get it on the next sale then. Glad I clicked in this thread, really ignored the game because of the multiplayer stuff.

Love the game and bought it at launch. Really getting impatient with the lack of PvP modes though.
It doesn't have PVP? Well now I feel like an idiot for not buying this last month FFS.

That...is immensely surprising. Is the Tom Clancy/Ghost Recon name more lucrative than I thought?
Open world co-op Ghost Recon was always an amazing premise. Bonus that it didn't have any of that The Division leveling and bullet-sponge crap. The key word there is unfortunately "didn't" - they've since added a leveling system beyond 30 where enemies are tougher and you have to level up your gear to compensate. These devs really lost sight of the target in Wildlands and threw everything else at the wall to see what could stick.

Hopefully they hone their focus on that premise and refine it for the second time around.

It's crazy to me this game has sold as much as it has and yet I never hear anyone talk about it (outside of mentioning how much it has sold)

I bought it at launch and I still play it 2-6 hours a week. I only play it with friends, we are just cleaning up all the missions after taking down the final mission last Saturday.

I absolutely love the game. It has glaring problems, but I look past it because of the co-op fun it provides.

MAX PAYMENT

I don't get it.

I tried my friends copy for a bit and thought it was an oddly janky third person open world shooter that was serious in tone, but goofy as hell to play.

Open world co-op Ghost Recon was always an amazing premise. Bonus that it didn't have any of that The Division leveling and bullet-sponge crap. The key word there is unfortunately "didn't" - they've since added a leveling system beyond 30 where enemies are tougher and you have to level up your gear to compensate. These devs really lost sight of the target in Wildlands and threw everything else at the wall to see what could stick.

Hopefully they hone their focus on that premise and refine it for the second time around.

I'm like.. Tier 23 now and they're not really bullet spongey. It forces you to play on extreme mode, and you die a lot faster, but most enemies are still one or two hit kills.. You just can only take one or two hits before you die.

The Tier 1 system is a lot of a fun, but can be repetitive, but I enjoy the world so much I don't mind at all. Farming convoys can still be fun since it rarely goes right the first time anyway.

Definitely my GOTY. Really looking forward to what they do with the eventual sequel.

I'm like.. Tier 23 now and they're not really bullet spongey. It forces you to play on extreme mode, and you die a lot faster, but most enemies are still one or two hit kills.. You just can only take one or two hits before you die.
Even when alerted? Normal Wildlands takes more than a shot or two to take down alerted enemies as is, more so for Unidad forces. If tier enemies aren't any tougher why do you need to level up your weapon damage?

prudislav

I don't get it.

I tried my friends copy for a bit and thought it was an oddly janky third person open world shooter that was serious in tone, but goofy as hell to play.

pretty much i see it as a death of classic GR without any tactics ... but i guess the Coop openworld kind of thing sells even though the game itself is just poor man's military far cry(world strucure)/division(perspective) mix

Was quite for for a short while with friends (especially with the invincible motorbikes) but randoms are bad and the fun last only for a while (short doses recommended) ... i guess i am too old for all this

I wish I didn't buy Wildlands at full price. It's like a lot of Ubi games in that it makes a great first impression, but once you play it for a couple of hours all of the cracks start to show.

Even when alerted? Normal Wildlands takes more than a shot or two to take down alerted enemies as is, more so for Unidad forces. If tier enemies aren't any tougher why do you need to level up your weapon damage?

I mean it feels just like it did before, damage wise. I've been using a variety of leveled guns, so I'll have to try with a stock one and see how it goes.

But overall they didn't seem to take any more damage than they normally do when alerted. Supposedly there are more guys wearing armor than normal but I haven't really noticed either way.

Dying so fast really makes you slow things down. One guy you didn't spot will ruin your day really quick, which is a nice change. I got to the point where I was just running and gunning in the stock game.

arcticice

yeahhh. good to see Wildlands getting the love. Although not a perfect game in the slightest, it was a lot of fun with friends.

More realistic/modern day co-op games please

Ghost Recon Wildlands is the Michael Bay Transformers of video games.

That...is immensely surprising. Is the Tom Clancy/Ghost Recon name more lucrative than I thought?
Not at all

It's a military shooter. The most popular video games in this medium are military shooters.

Top Bottom