• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Ghost Recon Wildlands is still 2017's best selling game worldwide

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Ubisoft: Ghost Recon Wildlands is still 2017's best selling game worldwide
And it is still the worst Ghost Recon game ever made. Hell, this game even has nothing to do with the Ghost Recon at all. It's like making Rainbow Six: Wildlands and saying that it's Rainbow Six. Well, hell fucking no.

meerak

A reminder that all the outlets and all the threads and all the podcasts across the entire gaming sect of the internet are basically not representative of what "people" seem to play. This game is effectively the Madden of shooters I guess. Neither seen nor heard in our parts, but plaaaaaayyyeeed.

Amneisac

For what it is it's a great game. If you have people to play with it's a lot of fun, I haven't tried solo but it's a competent and well made game. That's fine if people don't like that type of game but the alpha nerding about games just because they aren't a visual novel or 2D pixel art rogue-lite are tiresome. There's nothing wrong with a blockbuster.

Mooreberg

I'm still confused as to where the players are at for this game, did a ton of people buy it and never install/play it? It currently sits at #24 on XBL's most played games list and I've never seen it near the top beyond the first week or two. It's not even in the top 100 for steam either.
Check out a YouTube channel like Downward Thrust, there are breakdowns on how most Ubisoft games outside of R6 Siege do not hold on to player bases. Drop off for The Division was catastrophic, and For Honor has had problems as well.

If you're not going to play online/with friends, might as well skip it.

Can't say I agree at all, as I said in my previous post I have played it all solo and I have put 50 hours into it and I still have a lot to do. Love it so much I even bought the Fallen Ghost DLC full price the other day.

Dunkley

Definitely a GOTY contender that really showed how GAF doesn't necessarily reflect the general gaming audience given how humble the OT was compared to how much it sold.

Gotta say I still don't regret preordering it, MP has been amazing fun in this.

I hated on this game super HARD. Wouldn't even try the beta. Couple of buddies at work begged me to get it and I'm not ashamed to say my preconceptions were totally off. Game is fucking fun. No surprise it's done so well.

That's kinda how it's been for me too except I tried the beta. There's this dudebro gamer friend in our group who always gets hype about these games and they don't wound up turning out particularly good, but since he had no one else to play with I tried it and others followed suit.

And man, as you said, I too am not ashamed to say I was completely wrong with my preconceptions. Me and my friends wounded up basically 100%ing the beta and were happy to find out the full game held up just as well.

breakfuss

I hated on this game super HARD. Wouldn't even try the beta. Couple of buddies at work begged me to get it and I'm not ashamed to say my preconceptions were totally off. Game is fucking fun. No surprise it's done so well.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wildlands was a legit fun online Co-Op kill everything fest. Of course it was gonna sell gangbusters...

I was just talking to a friend of mine about how I actually miss the flight/drive times between missions because we had pretty hilarious/insightful/chill conversations while bombing across the countryside in a helicopter during a lightning storm.

Game had a great sense of presence in this world. And that .50cal sniper oooohhhhhh boy.

It's weird cause all the people I know who have wild lands hate the game. Congrats to Ubisoft though. They just throw something out and it sells lol
(Except Rayman and Steep)

SomTervo

Wish it would have been a game that moves away from Ubisoft's typic ubiworld formula like Watch Dogs 2. I would think this game selling as well as it did would make them double down on that shit.

It did move away from the formula, though? No towers, focus on open and emergent gameplay as the story.

Keinning

Guess this (and For Honor being right behind it) really nails that multiplayer games are dying as someone here predicted

Gaf really needs to learn how niche its own opinions are sometimes.

hobozero

Ubi is probably furiously hammering at Wildlands network code, trying to fit 100 people with no guns onto the same map. Get some of that PUBG money.

(or if they aren't, they fucking should be)

SomTervo

Is the game fun in single player? It looks fun, but looks like it requires friends, of which I have no gaming ones.

People that have played this game, would you say its worth it? Ginna be playing single player campaign mostly.

I would personally consider the game's main appeal to be playing military GTA (with notable design issues) in co-op with friends, so I'm not sure if singleplayer would be an especially great experience.

I play it solely as a singleplayer experience and love it. Like the Metal Gear roleplaying sim I wanted but MGSV didn't quite deliver on.

Co-op is amazing though.

Wildlands was a legit fun online Co-Op kill everything fest. Of course it was gonna sell gangbusters...

I was just talking to a friend of mine about how I actually miss the flight/drive times between missions because we had pretty hilarious/insightful/chill conversations while bombing across the countryside in a helicopter during a lightning storm.

Game had a great sense of presence in this world. And that .50cal sniper oooohhhhhh boy.

Yeah the gunplay in this game is a lot of fun. Also love the painting and customizing. Flying around in the chopper doing missions solo has just been so much damn fun. I couldn't imagine how much I would adore this game if I had a dedicated group of friends to play with.

Also love the variety in the world, lots of different locations. Especially love the Snow and Swamp area. Not to mention the awesome salt flats.

Gurish

Turns out that people really like co-op in a big open world.

Yup just like last gen was known for its "cinematic shooters" this gen will be remembered for its open world co op games.

Luckily there are enough games for everybody, but no doubt that the hottest trend and the best selling games of this gen are co op open world shooters.

____

People that have played this game, would you say its worth it? Ginna be playing single player campaign mostly.

Single player campaign is pretty fun on it's own because of your AI squad, BUT they can also piss you off because they're not very smart. The sync-shot makes up for it, though.

Single player campaign is pretty fun on it's own because of your AI squad, BUT they can also piss you off because they're not very smart. The sync-shot makes up for it, though.

True, I have had an occasion where they won't revive me, but that has only happened 2 times in more deaths than I am willing to admit. Honestly most of the time I tell them to stay back unless shit hits the fan, then I send in the rebels and them.

With the missions structure literally being "go here and collect this to unlock next mission"

Curious how much of this game you have actually played. It's got the same variety a GTA game has as far as mission structure.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Definitely a GOTY contender that really showed how GAF doesn't necessarily reflect the general gaming audience given how humble the OT was compared to how much it sold.

I'd say the low amount of people playing it is more telling than the sales numbers.

Retention is in the basement.

blakep267

I'm still confused as to where the players are at for this game, did a ton of people buy it and never install/play it? It currently sits at #24 on XBL's most played games list and I've never seen it near the top beyond the first week or two. It's not even in the top 100 for steam either.
It sold big and played a lot on Xbox but that was months ago. Just like for Honor

Gator86

We're not entirely sure, but it's almost assuredly some selection of the following:
- Ghost Recon
- GTA V
- For Honor
- Zelda
- Injustice 2
- Resident Evil
- Horizon
- FIFA 17

2017 is a very good year. There's too much out right now.

conpfreak

Isn't Ghost Recon Wildlands being bundled with Xbox One S systems? Is that causing an inflation in the actual number of units being sold?

Yup just like last gen was known for its "cinematic shooters" this gen will be remembered for its open world co op games.

Luckily there are enough games for everybody, but no doubt that the hottest trend and the best selling games of this gen are co op open world shooters.

Not so much co-op shooters as open world games in general. See also Witcher 3, Horizon, The Phantom Pain, Breath of the Wild and others. Luckily, there's no shortage of SP games either.

SomTervo

So guys, this or the division?

I'll be playing alone.

This. Division was a relatively miserable experience IMO. (Especially played singleplayer - I did have some co-op fun.)

Play Wildlands like an open world MGS or Splinter Cell game with the AI NPCs as your 'superpower' (auto-headshots on a cooldown).

Division alone is pretty damn miserable. The world is utterly beautiful but the gameplay is far more repetitive than Wildlands, the world is considerably smaller, the combat and situations far less emergent (nothing better in Wildlands than rebels and cartel getting in a huge gunfight in a city while you sneak about).

lcd

Love the game, finished it and the Narco Road DLC. Taking a break from the game right now though and saving the Fallen Ghosts DLC until XB1X later this year.

antitrop

It has to be the best selling game that I've heard the least about since I've been playing video games. The only time I ever hear it mentioned is in regards to how well it's selling.

____

True, I have had an occasion where they won't revive me, but that has only happened 2 times in more deaths than I am willing to admit. Honestly most of the time I tell them to stay back unless shit hits the fan, then I send in the rebels and them.

Curious how much of this game you have actually played. It's got the same variety a GTA game has as far as mission structure.

Haha, seriously. They get in the way more than they help sometimes....most missions I just do on my own (when I'm not playing co-op). You can't really rely on them to kill anything, they can't drive/fly (understandably), and sometimes they let you get ambushed while they stand around twiddling their thumbs. But they come in so clutch when you need to shoot unreachable targets.

Boss Mog

Good, Wildlands is a good game that did a lot of things right, specifically drop in/out co-op; I'm looking at you Just Cause 3. And Ubisoft delivered on the original trailers so that's another positive. And PvP is still to come, that will probably help boost sales a bit when they release it.

This. Division was a relatively miserable experience IMO. (Especially played singleplayer - I did have some co-op fun.)

Play Wildlands like an open world MGS or Splinter Cell game with the AI NPCs as your 'superpower' (auto-headshots on a cooldown).

Division alone is pretty damn miserable. The world is utterly beautiful but the gameplay is far more repetitive than Wildlands, the world is considerably smaller, the combat and situations far less emergent (nothing better in Wildlands than rebels and cartel getting in a huge gunfight in a city while you sneak about).

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Gurish

It has to be the best selling game that I've heard the least about since I've been playing video games. The only time I ever hear it mentioned is in regards to how well it's selling.

It's pretty weird, the game is non existent on gaming sites and communities like GAF and others but obviously there are millions of people who are more casual that are absent from the gaming community who play this.

This game show that GAF and gaming online in general (including big sites) can be an isolated bubble sometimes.

Still think its one or two patches away from greatness (AI mostly), but its still a great time in co-op.

Deserved, but the game also deserves continued dev support. The premium DLC has been a disappointment on several levels.

I bought it day to one and didn't really play a whole lot but I just recently came back to it and it's been really fun, it has its merits for sure.

We haven't had many decent co-op games lately, and I believe it's partly why this sold so well. People are thirsty for another large scale co-op shooter, a la Borderlands 2.

blakep267

It's pretty weird, the game is non existent on gaming sites and communities like GAF and others but obviously there are millions of people who are more casual that are absent from the gaming community who play this.

This game show that GAF and gaming online in general (including big sites) can be an isolated bubble sometimes.
I thought that was painfully obvious. COD and FIFA rarely dominate gaming headlines or message boards. Yet they are the 2 best selling games.

The game that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that GAF is its own bubble

I thought that was painfully obvious. COD and FIFA rarely dominate gaming headlines or message boards. Yet they are the 2 best selling games.

Any time there's a new Minecraft thread you've got idiots waltzing in

I kid you not

literally openly wondering why anyone is even talking about that weird kids game with the ugly graphics that nobody actually plays.

I'm not fucking with you, or exaggerating for effect. That is a sentiment you'll find posted several times in several Minecraft threads from the last few weeks.

That's GAF for you. A wonderful world where the word 'niche' means anything that isn't a AAA exclusive

I hate to say me and buddies contributed to that success, which I do not believe was deserved. It was a supremely derivative game that became a slog by the end. The whole thing was a cookie cutter experience, no really interesting missions, very little diversity and almost no interesting dynamic reaction/usage of factions and villians. You never felt you were actually fighting a cartel, so much as doing the same old Ubisoft checking the boxes/collection type thing. There was no dynamicism in the game. I think that's what ultimately bugged me about a lot of other Ubisoft games like assassin's Creed over the years too. But this was much more pronounced in those ways.

The land was really cool, but my God was none of the story even slightly worth playing.

At least it says one thing though. People definitely want Co-op games. Which I'm all for.

Top Bottom