• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is Developing an AI Ghostwriter to Save Scriptwriters Time

StueyDuck

To be fair... most modern writing in games feel like it's written by an AI anyway.

Character X is oppressed and has anxiety and dyes their hair (insert random unnatural hair color)

xrnzaaas

Why the fuck would they announce this publicly - of course the reaction from the players will be very negative, because many of their new games are already lifeless, generic products. They should focus on making the games smaller, but with as much attention to detail (made by human beings) as possible.

Sybrix

Current Ubisoft setup

tumblr_osy5l00lvN1uzae1ko1_500.gif

Braag

Considering how generic their stories are (Far Cry, Watch Dogs) or how incredibly stupid and convoluted they are (AC Valhalla) they might as well let an AI take a crack at it.

Kev Kev

This actually excites me. I feel there is a lot AI could do to help make NPC's and other aspects of video games feel less programmed

Last edited:

Fake

Instead of one now will be two robots writing for Ubisoft.

Nice improve.

Last edited:

Fbh

Modern media hasn't been doing this already?!

What if modern media has been made intentionally bland over the last decade so we wouldn't even notice when AI writers take over
fetchimage

Nah just kidding, it's probably going to get noticeably better when AI takes over.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I agree on principle, but on rare occasions people are really into it. Who hates the "pork bun" guy in Sleeping Dogs? I know I don't.

This wouldn't stop fun bespoke ambient chatter from occurring. I see this no different than BETHESDA using AI to build the shit ton of planets in STARFIELD and then having staff go over it and smooth out things that don't make sense, or use the canvas as a starting place to go nuts.

. . .and honestly, they already used LEGION to try their hand at AI assisted development, to absolutely mixed results, but it was an interesting use of this kind of tech (I didn't mind it, but they definitely needed to add more "rules" into that system as some stuff was just silly).

ironmang

Feels like video game writers are generally the scraps leftover after all of the good writers go to other mediums. Doubt we'll see much of a drop in quality if at all.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In its financial report for the 2022/23 fiscal year, Ubisoft expressed its interest in using generative AI for game development. "As the world adopts Generative AI at a record pace, GDC 2023 demonstrated its immense potential to profoundly transform creative industries. Ubisoft is uniquely positioned to lead this transformation, with a strong game technology expertise, over 20 years of proprietary data and assets, and a rich portfolio. Internally, early adoption is fast, with creators and developers of all levels experimenting with the technology and taking advantage of the booming Generative AI landscape. With them, Ubisoft is shaping a responsible framework with talent management and fair use at heart," Ubisoft wrote.

"In parallel, teams are leveraging years-long R&D efforts in AI and Machine Learning applications, especially through La Forge, to identify the best use cases and harness the power of this technology to have a positive impact on creativity, workflows, and players' experience," Ubisoft added. One example of such endeavor has actually been unveiled by the company few months ago. Back at the GDC 2023, Ubisoft introduced an in-house AI tool called Ghostwriter to assist scriptwriters in generating NPC barks.

K2D

Banned
Devil's Advocate here..

This might actually save studios time with creating rough drafts of what directors/execs are after.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Did I missed something? They had screenwriters? I mean, I can't name a single game of theirs from the last 19 years, about which I can say - damn, that was a good/great/amazing story, it'll forever be imprinted into my brain, I and will always remember it as being one of the best (same goes for characters pretty much). Well, I guess their games will be even worse now when it comes to stories than they had been before. Good to know though that we should't expect much from them on that front.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

In its financial report for the 2022/23 fiscal year, Ubisoft expressed its interest in using generative AI for game development. "As the world adopts Generative AI at a record pace, GDC 2023 demonstrated its immense potential to profoundly transform creative industries. Ubisoft is uniquely positioned to lead this transformation, with a strong game technology expertise, over 20 years of proprietary data and assets, and a rich portfolio. Internally, early adoption is fast, with creators and developers of all levels experimenting with the technology and taking advantage of the booming Generative AI landscape. With them, Ubisoft is shaping a responsible framework with talent management and fair use at heart," Ubisoft wrote.

"In parallel, teams are leveraging years-long R&D efforts in AI and Machine Learning applications, especially through La Forge, to identify the best use cases and harness the power of this technology to have a positive impact on creativity, workflows, and players' experience," Ubisoft added. One example of such endeavor has actually been unveiled by the company few months ago. Back at the GDC 2023, Ubisoft introduced an in-house AI tool called Ghostwriter to assist scriptwriters in generating NPC barks.

I'll be curious to see if this actually helps them on games that come out after 2025 or not.

Top Bottom