• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft livestream teasing Far Cry Primal (Ice Age Far Cry)

Jesus, it's so tiring to read people bitching how a Far Cry game is probably going to play like a Far Cry game.

I sure hope it does. I love the Far Cry formula, and since I don't buy every Assassin's Creed that comes out, I'm not tired of the formula at all.
Yep. FC 3 and 4 were a joy to play. I'd love more of that in a new setting/time period.

SJRB

Gold Member
Jesus, it's so tiring to read people bitching how a Far Cry game is probably going to play like a Far Cry game.

I sure hope it does. I love the Far Cry formula, and since I don't buy every Assassin's Creed that comes out, I'm not tired of the formula at all.

Half the reactions are kneejerk "omg I bet it'll have towers, amirite guys? Fuck Ubi, amirite guys?" reactions anyway.

sjay1994

Imagine if I was watching this stream for 12 hours

2415139-brucecampbellevildead2laugh.gif

Joco

Someone on reddit suggested this will be to FC4 what Blood Dragon was to FC3, aka an expansion using the same engine but with a different setting. Seems like the most logical thing (although I wouldn't complain about them making this game as long as a regular $60 Far Cry title).

Someone on reddit suggested this will be to FC4 what Blood Dragon was to FC3, aka an expansion using the same engine but with a different setting. Seems like the most logical thing (although I wouldn't complain about them making this game as long as a regular $60 Far Cry title).

Sounds about right. It's too soon for 5, which I hope is vastly different. Far Cry 4 by the end felt too samey to me.

tbd

4 has the most generic open world I've ever seen in a game and brought nothing new to the table in any way except for some broken mouse controls and glitches I haven't seen before. That the game is scratching the 90 % mark on Metacritic makes me feel kinda ill.

I'll probably pass.

pants

I wish some AAA company would do a real sand box survival game, I mean I appreciate Rust, H1Z1, Reign of Kings and to a much lesser extent DayZ but I've always wondered what a big company could do with the concept.

Yoday

We already had that with the Valley of the Yettis.

This sounds awesome though. I imagine a system with only a few weapons that are really focused on and upgraded. I picture a bow, a knife, a spear, and a club.

5taquitos

This sounds awesome though. I imagine a system with only a few weapons that are really focused on and upgraded. I picture a bow, a knife, a spear, and a club.

Would you like to upgrade that bow string? Just collect ten Willow Tufts!

I went back on the livestream, out of curiosity, the zoom-out seems to be still in motion and still very slow. I've put a red rectangle to show how much the pic has zoomed out since the beginning of the livestream.

Joco

Valley of the Yetis was pretty much the same setting. We still played as Ajay and it was set in a similar Himalayas-like area (basically just higher up in the mountains) with the addition of Yetis. It wasn't anywhere near as different from the main game as Blood Dragon was to FC3. This FC Primal sounds like it will be the new Blood Dragon in that regard.

I agree though, the setting has potential to be awesome and unique.

I wish some AAA company would do a real sand box survival game, I mean I appreciate Rust, H1Z1, Reign of Kings and to a much lesser extent DayZ but I've always wondered what a big company could do with the concept.
That was H1Z1 until the whole Sony Online Entertainment kerfuffle happened and Daybreak became reacquired and downsized. Seems pretty similar to everything else though, no?

EDIT: Also, everyone saying it's too soon for a new full Far Cry to be announced seem to be forgetting how soon Far Cry 4 was announced after 3. It didn't come out until two years later, but it was hinted at in the next calendar year with the full announcement coming barely a year on.

ZoyosJD

I went back on the livestream, out of curiosity, the zoom-out seems to be still in motion and still very slow. I've put a red rectangle to show how much the pic has zoomed out since the beginning of the livestream.

It's been at this point since 5:00 PM PST. (Just over 6 hrs.)

Edit: All good. Just clarifying so thread isn't needlessly bumped for people who gave up earlier.

red731

Just woke up and be like
giphy.gif

This is still going? Wow.
Good morning lads.

ed: Did IGN Turkey leak something? ed: read OP

Deschain

Neo Member
So is this when we get dinosaurs in Far Cry?
I remember a poll they took asking for what people would like in the next game and it included dinosaurs.

Awesome work on them, yet a lot of people on GAF will still bunch the Far Cry games with other Ubisoft collectathon games just because of the publisher, despite the fact that they actually don't have a lot to collect (like apart from hunting for hides, which is similar to upgrade mechanics in many games, there is barely anything to collect) are well made with good missions, they play great and allow for an awful lot of variation in gameplay.

I'm a huge FarCry fan, so don't take this as me bashing Ubi (though mixing up the formula couldn't be a bad thing), but 150 propaganda posters, 25 lost letters, 25 of Mohan's journals etc contradict your assessment of not being collect-a-thons.

Imagine Far Cry with an actual good Melee System. That would be rad.
You don't like it? I think the takedowns in the far cry games are one of the best parts. Melee when you're actually spotted is kinda lame, but getting takedowns is one of the series' bigger highlights for me. I actually wish they'd really expand on it and make it a more in-depth system, which I guess is sorta what you asked for. Actual melee combat wouldn't be a bad thing, rather than the frantic slashes that usually just end with the enemy being able to push you down anyway and start shooting you.

Hope this is true, I'd rather have a $15 fun little side adventure with an experimental setting this year and have another full-blown sequel in a year or 2.

Valley of the Yetis was pretty much the same setting. We still played as Ajay and it was set in a similar Himalayas-like area (basically just higher up in the mountains) with the addition of Yetis. It wasn't anywhere near as different from the main game as Blood Dragon was to FC3. This FC Primal sounds like it will be the new Blood Dragon in that regard.

I agree though, the setting has potential to be awesome and unique.

Very true, I hope this is the FC4 equivalent of BD as well....

Ubisoft usually do all their announcements at 18:00 CET, so I presume this will go on for another 9 hours (and it will have been full 24 hours of zooming out) before the game reveal.

Far Cry doesn't play like a Far Cry game. It plays like an Ubisoft formula game. We haven't reached AC levels of boredom yet, but.it'll.get there eventually. It's fine to like that, but don't expect some people to not be bored with it.

LoveCake

At the moment on the video every 30sec's or so the camera zooms in on either a sabre tooth tiger (looking animal) or stick men attacking a rearing up woolly mammoth.

This is not WiLD :/

Ok see you for The Division Ubi (if it's not like all your other big games... full of promises and then full of sh*t).

Love me some Far Cry, so I'm excited to see how this pans out.
Pre historic Far Cry sounds interesting, I'm guessing it'll be a larger version of those Shangri-La missions in 4.

Are we getting any closer?

Wouldn't the full reveal be when the USA is awake?

I'd suspect we're at least quite a few more hours away.

Top Bottom