• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft : PS5 not BC with PS3/PS2/PS1 (Info has now been removed)

Okamiden

BC is the main reason I got an XboneX , is great to insert an original Xbox game like Crimsom skys and play it againg ....or Fallout 3 or New Vegas..

Its a great feature on a console...
Because Sony doesn't want bad PR and feature absence announcement from third party.

Polymega is a all in one retro console plays sega cd, sega saturn, neo geo cd, turbo graphix, Playstation. Look it up. I'm getting one so I can load my entire collection on it. It has a M.2 slot and SD card slot for expanded storage. Once you put your game in it syncs with it's own internal database giving you all the cover art, game info. Then you can put your game back on the shelf and enjoy your PS1 games enhanced in HD goodness.

Sounds cool, especially for retro gamers.
I am super casual and only have a few old games that I want to play though, so I will wait for PS5 compatible digital versions I guess. :)

MacReady13

Why do Sony want to abandon their past like this? God it shits me. They have a rich history of older games that they could release (like they did with the PS3) and allow us to purchase these old games to play again. I'd give anything to be able to play the PS2 versions of Silent Hill 2 and 3 again. Come on Sony, FFS...

Banned
Most? Iirc there are something like 600 x360 games playable on xbox one, it's 15 maybe 20% of full x360 catalogue.

it's 50% of the games worth playing tho xD

but I really hope now that their backcompat team is finished with getting the Series X ready for launch, that they start adding new games again soon.

they apparently take new suggestions again, which was closed for a long time

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Most? Iirc there are something like 600 x360 games playable on xbox one, it's 15 maybe 20% of full x360 catalogue.

I may have exaggerated, but if I was wrong when I said "most" that means my thesis held more weight than I initially stated. If Microsoft gets away with calling the Xbox One "backwards compatible" with only 20% of its older generation titles playable on the Xbox One, you can certainly call the PS2 backwards compatible when only a few dozen of the thousands of PS1 titles are not playable on the Playstation 2.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Maybe it isn't supported with hardware but you're joking if you don't think they've got it emulated. Hell even the Vita has 1 + 2~

TLZ

Banned
Isn't this about supporting Ubisoft games only though?

Hanging by a thread of hope here :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
People keep saying this, and I think the idea of all these resources being taking away from 'core features' is overblown? Do people know how much outsourcing goes on with even System Software development? Sony could take 1% of the marketing budget that they didn't spend on TLoU2 because bus-bench advertising suddenly was unviable thanks to COVID, and Sony could go to M2 or QGames (both experienced backend app coders as well as game design studios) or whoever coded ps2_netemu for them and go, "Hey, could you make us a PS1 emulator?", and they'd be like, "Automatic, for the people," and it'd be done.

Hell, Sony DID put the resources into a PS2 emulator for PS3. Sure, it wasn't completely consumer-grade (some glitches and a large percentage of compatibility failures, but it did work way more than most people thought it was capable of when Sony put out GodHand & Max Payne 1 then acted like that was the best they could do,) but it did get made and it was something. Yet that something died on the vine even after they spent the resources, and we never got explansion/implementation for wider software support nor even all that many more PSN title releases.

We've heard talk of Sony (even from Sony) putting resources into exploring backward-compatibility options for at least two generations now. Those resources are being spent (maybe not to the extent that Microsoft is dedicating to them, albeit,) but nothing's coming down to us consumers.

Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know PS3's backwards compatibility was hardware based and a big part of the high price of the system and we all know how that ended for Sony. To the point it was eliminated from the PS3 in ensuing revisions.

Banned
Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know PS3's backwards compatibility was hardware based and a big part of the high price of the system and we all know how that ended for Sony. To the point it was eliminated from the PS3 in ensuing revisions.

only launch systems in the US and Japan used hardware, the launch EU model and later US/JP models used partial software emulation.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Man there no reason why PS4 doesnt at least have a digital store for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. Like the PSP, Vita and PS3 did.
PS3 released PS1 games after PS4 launched so its nothing to do with licensing issues.

Also it should play PS1 and PS2 games. Ill give them a pass on PS3... no excuses for the rest

Last edited:

trikster40

My experience going from One To One X: Unplug the old box, plug the new one -even using the same cables-, and everything just works: games, save files, controllers, ui / profile prefs, etc
I expect the same going from X to SX.

To be fair, the same exact thing happens going from PS4 to PS4Pro. They’re mid-gen updates.

MS definitely will be easier transition from One to Series though. PS5 should still be smooth though. Definitely better than the old days.

nochance

Banned
I think that PSX and PS2 emulation has gotten to the point where I don't really care about native BC.
And when it comes to the PS3, the generation was largely forgettable for me and all of the games that mattered were re released.

All in all, I don't think the feature is worth much. They should do the same thing they did at the beginning of PS3's life and allow Linux to run on the system.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

You are both right and (slightly) wrong. The initial 20GB and 60GB launch models of the PS3 had PS2 CPU and GPU chips in them. The units that had PS2 compatibility after that (such as the 80GB Metal Gear Solid PS3) used emulation software, although they did contain the PS2 GPU chips (but not the CPU chips). The 20GB and 60GB models had "hardware compatibility", while the 80GB Metal Gear Solid PS3 had "hardware-assisted software emulation compatibility".

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
only launch systems in the US and Japan used hardware, the launch EU model and later US/JP models used partial software emulation.

So part hardware and part software. Which still means hardware based. And that second version meant lots of titles not working or working badly.

In short, the PS3 was the most backwards compatible console Sony ever made and almost ruined the company. The PS4 is the less backwards compatible console Sony ever made and was a huge success. And people still don't understand why Sony doesn't go all in with BC.

Keihart

Makes sense, big fucking woop.
If anything i would like them to support PS1 classics so that library doesn't die, but fat chance. They can just release more mini classic consoles or some other shit instead.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Another useless feature people like to bring up when they have nothing else to fight about.

I would never play PS1 games on my PS5. You can do that on any phone, PC or even PSP. Legacy and game preservation? As if all these games and ports disappeared.

CamHostage

So, the original PS3 consoles had backwards compatibility through two elements of the PS2 hardware being made part of the PS3 chipset: the Emotion Engine (CPU) and the Graphics Synthesizer. I believe that by the time the system launched in Europe, the Emotion Engine was already ripped out (but it could still play some PS2 games through partial emulation of the missing chip?), and then the next major global revision removed the Graphics Synthesizer, and PS3 could play no PS2 games.

...But then, an interesting thing happened where Sony, out of nowhere, released a couple "PS2Classic " games to PSN in 2011: God Hand, Maximo, Odin Sphere, and Grim Grimoire. There's just shy of 100 of these PS2 Classic games now on PlayStation Network to buy.

It was assumed at first these were recompiled specifically to play on PS3 (because most figured at the time that PS2 emulation on PS3 was not feasible without the real hardware,) but hackers dug into the game files and found that they were in fact the PS2 games running on a PS2 emulator for PS3. They then modified that PS2 emulator, and while it's not perfect, it can run a percentage of PS2 games on a jailbroken PS3.

I've played with none of the hacked stuff BTW, so I'm going off of other people's impressions and some video clips of its functionality.

I do, by the way, have a PS3 with original backwards compatibility (I believe it was a standard launch unit, but I might have waited for the MGS4 version,) and I got to say, it kind of sucks? The controls seem off (though maybe that was HDMI lag being introduced; I remember the God of War 2 QTEs were unplayable, and I had to pull out an old PS2 to play through it), and the display quality was okay but not enhanced with the hardware obviously.

I wish there was a market for a proper PS1/PS2 player (would have been a more worthwhile buy than the PlayStation Classic machine,) but those days are pretty far in the past now and Sony never really went fervently into the a classic gaming digital market the way Nintendo or even Microsoft did.

In short, the PS3 was the most backwards compatible console Sony ever made and almost ruined the company. The PS4 is the less backwards compatible console Sony ever made and was a huge success. And people still don't understand why Sony doesn't go all in with BC.

Pfft, that's a LOT of conclusions jumped to there...

It has to be digital only given I find it highly unlikely that the PS5's BluRay drive will support CD's.

Oh, shoot, you're right -- a PS4 won't read Compact Discs. That's weird, I know HD-DVD dropped the format but a Blu-Ray laser should be able to scan the disc just fine (if you plop a music disc in, it can tell it's a disc but calls it an "Unsupported Format".) I wonder if it really cannot read CDs or if Sony just skipped any access drivers to save a penny or avoid hacking access points or something?

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Before this gen I really didn't care to much about BC But the jump from PS3/360 to PS4/X1 wasn't that big and previous gen games still hold up extremely well compared to current gen. I expect the same for next gen.

Basically would be awesome to get PS3 & PS4 BC, the rest is blocky nostalgia

thelastword

Banned
Isn't this old news. I swear there was an article months ago when a Ubisoft rep or from a third party spilled that very same thing.......

As I've always said, BC is a bonus, what is a lock is PS4 BC.........It makes more sense to remake some of the best PS3/PS2 and PS1 games.....That's why SOTC and Crash were huge. Demon Souls, Silent Hill and even the Resistance Series is gearing up for a reface.......The games will receive much more of a visual polish and a mechanical polish by redoing everything.....The Mafia remake is pretty good, some mechanics were changed for modern times, it's a better way to appreciate the older games. Crysis Remastered is finally getting a proper reface, people got upset when they only received the same old game with higher resolutions from Crytek, now they are bring in 8k textures, and Raytracing....

BC is great, but I'm not sure playing GT1 at 4k 60fps is ideally what I should be playing or revisiting in 2020, soon 2021. Now remake Vagrant Story with Nanite and Lumens and I'll be in the rain waiting to grab my copy. Hell, even PC games are getting facelifts, Skyrim did, many others have. Didn't FF7 and Crash teach anybody anything and these games could be played on emulators for years on PC....

Banned
So part hardware and part software. Which still means hardware based. And that second version meant lots of titles not working or working badly.

this sounds like the backwards compatibility was the issue here, which isn't the case. the console was simply a pile of hot garbage and the launch lineup was abysmal, as were third party ports for a good few years due to their shitty hardware decisions. the console didn't need Bluray, neither did it need a Cell processor, which maybe 2 games even used to any noticeable advantage over the 360's very standard hardware configuration. Had Sony followed the same philosophy, the PS3 would have been way cheaper to produce and way easier for developers without any real noticeable loss in potential performance.

THAT were the issues the system had not that it was backwards compatible... and it also wasn't as expensive because it was backwards compatible either.

CamHostage

Before this gen I really didn't care to much about BC But the jump from PS3/360 to PS4/X1 wasn't that big and previous gen games still hold up extremely well compared to current gen. I expect the same for next gen.

Basically would be awesome to get PS3 & PS4 BC, the rest is blocky nostalgia

I think also we're used to our digital libraries just always being there. With hard-copy games, we began with consoles that weren't BC (albeit you could get a Master System Converter for your Genesis and play Alf again...), but then discs came along and, for at least one generation, BC seemed like the way forward. That wasn't the case (well, not for Sony, and eventually not Nintendo,) but also discs started to die anyway in part of that gen as digital libraries began to grow. So now, we're used to having everything at our fingertips with streaming and digital libraries, to the point where the box is almost inconsequential (yes, a consumer like me might buy a PlayStation because it's the only place I can get God of War, but also I'm buying it because its for me the most comfortable/familiar portal into the CoD/Fortnite/Minecraft/Apex/Destiny/Rocket League experience I might spend most of my time in, and vice-versa for the Xbox version of me,) and it just feels weird again that there's stuff in our library but it won't play on the box.

And maybe we were a little forgiving when Switch couldn't play Wii U games because it's a different architecture (but also it ain't got a disc drive,) or when PS4 couldn't play PS3 because PS3 was a goddamned mess ... but the fact that we're getting almost total PS4 BC right at launch, yet the much lesser PS3, PS2, PS1, and let me throw in PSP and PSV content just can't be done? And you can rip and play almost all of this illegally yet perfectly easily on a decent PC, but Sony can't figure this out for its loyal customers? I mean, whether you'd ever play old games on PS5 or not, the situation doesn't feel great to be told no. Not a dealbreaker (and not enough to make many PS fans think of jumping, I assume,) but it would have been a really comfy security blanket to have had on that PS5 bulletpoint list.

I think also we're used to our digital libraries just always being there. With hard-copy games, we began with consoles that weren't BC (albeit you could get a Master System Converter for your Genesis and play Alf again...), but then discs came along and, for at least one generation, BC seemed like the way forward. That wasn't the case (well, not for Sony, and eventually not Nintendo,) but also discs started to die anyway in part of that gen as digital libraries began to grow. So now, we're used to having everything at our fingertips with streaming and digital libraries, to the point where the box is almost inconsequential (yes, a consumer like me might buy a PlayStation because it's the only place I can get God of War, but also I'm buying it because its for me the most comfortable/familiar portal into the CoD/Fortnite/Minecraft/Apex/Destiny/Rocket League experience I might spend most of my time in, and vice-versa for the Xbox version of me,) and it just feels weird again that there's stuff in our library but it won't play on the box.

And maybe we were a little forgiving when Switch couldn't play Wii U games because it's a different architecture (but also it ain't got a disc drive,) or when PS4 couldn't play PS3 because PS3 was a goddamned mess ... but the fact that we're getting almost total PS4 BC right at launch, yet the much lesser PS3, PS2, PS1, and let me throw in PSP and PSV content just can't be done? And you can rip and play almost all of this illegally yet perfectly easily on a decent PC, but Sony can't figure this out for its loyal customers? I mean, whether you'd ever play old games on PS5 or not, the situation doesn't feel great to be told no. Not a dealbreaker (and not enough to make many PS fans think of jumping, I assume,) but it would have been a really comfy security blanket to have had on that PS5 bulletpoint list.
If you're really serious about BC, just do it on PC. It's free already. Don't need a to buy a console for that.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That being said, there's no saying that these features won't be added down the road right? I mean, I don't know.....we can hope? Lol.
They weren't added on the PS4 so I think expecting them to be added to the PS5 is setting yourself up for disappointment unfortunately.

Lone Wolf

I know the forum is mixed on BC, but I find PS1-3 BC more valuable. i haven’t played many of these old games in a while or at all and would love to go back. PS4 BC is great but I just played these games. Just my opinion. I did state that BC with all PS consoles and a new Resistance would make me go in day one. I’ll be waiting a bit I guess. It will be a great system in time I’m sure.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Funny a few months ago Ubisoft said it'll have BC like no other generation before it.

Anyone paying attention has kinda guessed this was the case, but this is the first time we've seen a company with an actual stake confirm it.

Usually people point to this slide:

Screen_Shot_2020_03_18_at_12.43.22_PM.0.png

and say "there is so much unused space at the bottom, and this is a weird shape". There must be unannounced BC like this:

qaqaymgax1o41.jpg

And Sony's messaging has been really really unclear from the beginning. 100 games? 1,000 games? all the games? who knows! Well, now we know.
Sony’s messaging in general has been all over the place ....3 months out from a supposed release date...no price...no look at the actual physical hardware and no clear indication on launch titles....this thing ain’t launching this year

Garnox

For the peeps saying why not just buy the old consoles.

It's more a matter of not having 3 consoles taking up space. Plus the inputs aren't friendly with today's HDMI inputs.

Having BC on one unit that can possibly upscale the games would be a nice feature.

Not rocket science.

Last edited:
PS1 I no longer have any of the game discs. Nor do I have a PS1. I need to find one on Ebay or Flea Market.
PS2 I have about 14 or 15 games that I will keep in my collection
PS3 I have about 12 or 13 games plus a few digital.
PS4 I have lost track of how many games I have. They are all digital, but all exclusive or PLUS.
PS5 I will continue to buy digital but they will only be the exclusives.

I don't think I'll be sad about the lack of Back Compat. But it also means I see no reason to even think about 3rd party games on a Sony Machine.

I'm really pulling for Microsoft this gen even though they seem to have accidentally tied their shoes together before hobbling out to the starting line.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So, the original PS3 consoles had backwards compatibility through two elements of the PS2 hardware being made part of the PS3 chipset: the Emotion Engine (CPU) and the
Oh, shoot, you're right -- a PS4 won't read Compact Discs. That's weird, I know HD-DVD dropped the format but a Blu-Ray laser should be able to scan the disc just fine (if you plop a music disc in, it can tell it's a disc but calls it an "Unsupported Format".) I wonder if it really cannot read CDs or if Sony just skipped any access drivers to save a penny or avoid hacking access points or something?

Be a straight cost-saving on BoM. And its kind of an issue as some PS2 games were pressed on CD as well as all PS1 titles. If memory serves I don't believe the same was true for Xbox, which was always pressed to DVD.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I know the forum is mixed on BC, but I find PS1-3 BC more valuable. i haven’t played many of these old games in a while or at all and would love to go back. PS4 BC is great but I just played these games. Just my opinion. I did state that BC with all PS consoles and a new Resistance would make me go in day one. I’ll be waiting a bit I guess. It will be a great system in time I’m sure.
We know why the forum is "mixed" though, because the majority are going to own the console that doesn't have it so the diehards will do their best to talk it down.

I don't understand. Didn't they basically say as much at the PS5 tech reveal, that PS4 compatibility is baked in moving forward?
Unless they’ve virtualised the PS4 like Microsoft have then no it’s not really baked in.

93xfan

Banned
PS1 I no longer have any of the game discs. Nor do I have a PS1. I need to find one on Ebay or Flea Market.
PS2 I have about 14 or 15 games that I will keep in my collection
PS3 I have about 12 or 13 games plus a few digital.
PS4 I have lost track of how many games I have. They are all digital, but all exclusive or PLUS.
PS5 I will continue to buy digital but they will only be the exclusives.

I don't think I'll be sad about the lack of Back Compat. But it also means I see no reason to even think about 3rd party games on a Sony Machine.

I'm really pulling for Microsoft this gen even though they seem to have accidentally tied their shoes together before hobbling out to the starting line.

I don’t feel good about Sony’s ecosystem anymore for 3rd party games as well. It’s a shame, as the initial rumors of full BC with PS1-4 had me skeptical, but very intrigued.

I at least expected them to try compete with MS a little bit in this area.

fersnake

lol ppl still begging about this? i played some ps1 games on my ps2, same with ps3 but didnt care thank god i always prefered to play next gen games.

MrFunSocks

Banned
lol ppl still begging about this? i played some ps1 games on my ps2, same with ps3 but didnt care thank god i always prefered to play next gen games.
Some of us on literally hundreds of games from those generations that we can’t play anymore because of broken consoles. In 10 years time there’s no hope in hell of buying a working ps 1-3 for a decent price. It's next to impossible even now.

It’s a big deal to some of us. Even if I liked Sony first party games I’d be buying a series x for third party games as I know they’ll work going forward. I expect their console bc to come to pc at some stage too.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Some of us on literally hundreds of games from those generations that we can’t play anymore because of broken consoles. In 10 years time there’s no hope in hell of buying a working ps 1-3 for a decent price. It's next to impossible even now.

It’s a big deal to some of us. Even if I liked Sony first party games I’d be buying a series x for third party games as I know they’ll work going forward. I expect their console bc to come to pc at some stage too.
Buy as many refurb PS3s as you can now, because at some point in the not-so-distant future, you won't have a disc drive to put your hundreds of ancient games into. That future is an inevitability, so you're going to have to come to terms with this at some point. Buy PS3s and put them in clean storage. Put the games there too, because discs have a shelf life as well.

Top Bottom