• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft says that MS & Sony are 'pressuring them' into 30FPS on PC; Phil: Not true

Cyriades

Ubisoft had a few of its staff visit a school to explain their work, with some truly interesting things revealed about the company who thinks 60FPS 'looks weird'. Someone asked the Ubisoft employees "what the hell happened with Watch Dogs", to which the Ubisoft employee, who was the 'Online Programmer' said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, who tell them what to keep in the game, and what to take out.

But it gets better: the Game Architect said that they always try to aim for 60FPS, but due to "limitations", they have been settling at 30FPS for their latest games. He continued, saying that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC. The Game Architect continued, saying that Ubisoft reuses as much code as possible, which could explain the similarities between a few of their games.

Someone else asked if the company was "aware of the negative responses of the recent decision to lock your games into 30FPS. If so, what do you think about that?". The Game Architect said that on consoles, and especially for something like Assassin's Creed: Unity, they have to choose between graphic fidelity and smoothness. 'timois', who made the thread on Reddit, said that "he implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too".

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40591...-pressuring-them-into-30fps-for-pc/index.html

Why not linking to the original Reddit post that at least has "proof" photos in it, as well as an announcement beforehand to collect questions? http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2j7r9j/delivering_ubisoft_came_to_my_school_for_a/

School attendee update:

Just a lurker here, but I just happen to be a student at this school and I attended this conference yesterday. Quite surprised to see a thread about it on GAF !
School's name is Grenoble INP Ensimag, one of, if not the, best schools in applied maths and computer science in France (wiki).
Every tuesday, students can attend 2 or 3 conferences organized by various companies. Here is the list from last year (here), dunno why it hasn't been updated yet, but you can see Ubisoft also came here last December, should be a solid proof (btw these are not the same presenters, and I'm not going to reveal their names publicly).

Anyway, I can confirm everything said on Reddit was said during the conference, it was interesting to learn more on game development, and I was most surprised to learn that Ubisoft has to wait for Sony & Microsoft review and how they can change things before they release the game.

Edit : btw, i'm not the one who took the pic.

I replied only to confirm that the conference DID take place, because I don't like to read that some people are doubting it or even my school's existence (that is what convinced me to reply in fact), but things go REALLY too far here, it was just a one-hour conference to show us engineer's jobs at Ubisoft, and because the engineers may not be experts at speaking in a conference, things they said can be easily misinterpretated.

Kevin

If this is true then this would be such a scummy thing for Microsoft to do. It's Microsoft though and they have a long history of shady business so I'd expect as much from them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
why do I feel like the people answering these questions had a serious talking-to when they got back to the Ubi offices...

Cess007

He continued, saying that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC
"he implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too".

Wait, so it's both Sony or MS, or only MS? :0

Anyway, something tells me this thread won't end well :/

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Mortemis

Banned
Sounds unbelievable that someone from ubi would say this, but this is coming from the same company that leaks their shit on airplanes...

So now we're supposed to believe Microsoft is forcing PC framerates to be locked at 30? lol

This is dumber than the forced 900p parity stuff.

I don't think it is far fetched that console manufacturers would pressure them into downgrading the PC copies to make their versions more appealing. If they wanted to to compete with PCs head on they would have chosen higher specs. It would cost too much though in the long run so I guess this is cheaper and more profitable approach.

Again, I'm not saying this is true, but I don't think it is far fetched. Business is business, you do what you can to get an advantage.

JordanN

Banned
I don't think it is far fetched that console manufacturers would pressure them into downgrading the PC copies to make their versions more appealing. If they wanted to to compete with PCs head on they would have chosen higher specs. It would cost too much though in the long run so I guess this is cheaper and more profitable approach.

Again, I'm not saying this is true, but I don't think it is far fetched. Business is business, you do what you can to get an advantage.

I don't think Sony/MS care about PC sales. It's a different market.

In the case of Ubisoft though, they're one of the studios highlighting PC exclusive effects and higher resolution on PC as they use Nvidia's gameworks middle ware. This partnership will last through ac unity, the division. and far cry 4 at the least.

Remeard

"he implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too"
Bullshit

Yep, maybe the SJW boogeymen comes right along side them.

It's a simple fact, consoles sell more units and there are deadlines. With those two basic and very simple facts, which version do you think will get the most attention? Which will ship on time with fewer bugs?

Is this mysterious Game Architect the reason every Ubi game has "climb towers/drive to satellites to reveal stuff on map" and "single player game turns into multiplayer/co-op game" now? If that's the case, then we need a new Architect!

But in all seriousness, Ubi games have become a bad joke design-wise. And now they're indoctrinating the kids with their weird ideologies! Blasphemy!

While this scenario and those responses may have happened, I'm not convinced console manufacturers really have any say in what to keep in and take out of a game, that seems insane. And thus makes the source look questionable to me.

Sayers

Is there any evidence this event actually happened? I find it hard to believe they would send devs out when the game is a month out from release, they are probably crunching. Also, I cannot imagine a world in which they don't have PR reps with them that refuse to allow them to answer these sorts of questions in the first place.

Jimrpg

Is this mysterious Game Architect the reason every Ubi game has "climb towers/drive to satellites to reveal stuff on map" and "single player game turns into multiplayer/co-op game" now? If that's the case, then we need a new Architect!

But in all seriousness, Ubi games have become a bad joke design-wise. And now they're indoctrinating the kids with their weird ideologies! Blasphemy!

I haven't played the game but the Watch Dogs main character feels like he controls exactly the same as one of the main AC characters.

ACIV main character also handles the same as ACII... sad cause its like 3-4 years later!

watership

I feel like I just walked into a random EBgames and listened to sketchy loud guy saying how MS has a secret ninja team out to get gamers.

If you have even a sliver of knowledge about how game cert works, you know that answer completely dismisses any credibility this random Reddit thread has.

Brashnir

"Someone asked the Ubisoft employees "what the hell happened with Watch Dogs", to which the Ubisoft employee, who was the 'Online Programmer' said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, who tell them what to keep in the game, and what to take out."

This just might be the most laughable piece of dribble I've ever read on GAF.

If you have even a sliver of knowledge about how game cert works, you know that answer completely dismisses any credibility this random Reddit thread has.
Correct. Unless the ESRB, PEGI, etc. rate you in a way that the manufactures wont allow you to release a game, content is not what's going to keep your game from release. All the console manufactures will check for is if it will brick the system or otherwise cause instability.

Big-E

Correct. Unless the ESRB, PEGI, etc. rate you in a way that the manufactures wont allow you to release a game, content is not what's going to keep your game from release. All the console manufactures will check for is if it will brick the system or otherwise cause instability.

Yep though they will sometimes write up things that are more gameplay related, issues like that are not severe and will not cause you to resubmit.

Hmmm. I mean... Need for Speed Rivals was locked at 30 fps on PC. At the time, we all just chalked it up to dev team incompetence, but now...

So basically none of this is verifiable. Cool.

Though I will say this: if the PC version does end up being 30 FPS, the ensuing shitstorm will make the PS4-parity backlash look like a pillow fight in comparison.

Top Bottom