• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft says that MS & Sony are 'pressuring them' into 30FPS on PC; Phil: Not true

Squire

Banned
MS stands to profit from games on PC - even in all their reluctancy to make the damn things - and you're telling me they're telling devs to lock their PC ports at 30fps? The Xbox brand is worth hobbling products that run on Windows?

I'm not even gonna entertain being skeptical. That just doesn't make any sense.

Is the reason for the lack of female mocap is because they know the other Ubisoft studios will be forced to reuse the code. They are saying their fellows the effort to copy and paste
/s

Wait, this report is actually real due to the photo evidence?
Eh...I guess joking around about MS moneyhatting for parity could potentially turn out to be true, geez...Great PR weeks.
Yeah this is no joke if true. Again, this is the worst thing potentially happening right now in videogames and people are acting like its a joke?

Wait, this report is actually real due to the photo evidence?
Eh...I guess joking around about MS moneyhatting for parity could potentially turn out to be true, geez...Great PR weeks.

Things we know: Ubisoft went to a school for some kind of presentation

Things we don't know: literally anything that was said by them

Things we know: Ubisoft went to a school for some kind of presentation

Things we don't know: literally anything that was said by them

Hey man

We can reasonably infer at least one of the Ubisoft representatives said "hi" or maybe "hello" at one point

It's not like we're completely blind here

why do I feel like the people answering these questions had a serious talking-to when they got back to the Ubi offices...

Yeah, that was my general feeling as well.

Ubi Overlord to Ubi Peasants...er..."architects": "next time, more truthyness...less truth. Or your next job will be Wal-Mart greeter."

MS stands to profit from games on PC - even in all their reluctancy to make the damn things - and you're telling me they're telling devs to lock their PC ports at 30fps? The Xbox brand is worth hobbling products that run on Windows?

I'm not even gonna entertain being skeptical. That just doesn't make any sense.

You're right it doesn't make any sense. On the other hand we're talking about Microsoft here...havent they been shitting on or at least ignoring Windows gaming for years? I mean, this isn't something new, is it?

This sounds like some console war fanfic.

Why even develop something like dx12, It's counterproductive too loose gamers on windows by limiting games too 30fps.

jesu

They said they have to use Microsoft's cloud instead of the APU to do the AI in certain games due to hardware limitations.

So which Ubisoft games would they be and what happens when you play those games offline?

Hey man

We can reasonably infer at least one of the Ubisoft representatives said "hi" or maybe "hello" at one point

It's not like we're completely blind here

Based on the way people are reacting in this thread, there's probably a higher chance they just went on stage and made cancer jokes while kicking puppies for an hour

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sorry but I don't think any of the quotes are true when the photo literally reveals nothing but the fact that Ubisoft had some sort of presentation at a school. :/

Sorry but I don't think any of the quotes are true when the photo literally reveals nothing but the fact that Ubisoft had some sort of presentation at a school. :/
"Please don't record any of this. We're going off the record. The people need to know. But our bosses don't."

Waiting for the leaked cam.

Bsigg12

Going into a public setting representing your employer and then shitting on their business partners (whether this is ultimately true or not) is a great way to lose your job.

Sounds like bullshit but I just don't know anymore. So many disgusting practices in this industry that I wouldn't even be surprised if it is true. So depressing.

Sounds like bullshit but I just don't know anymore. So many disgusting practices in this industry that I wouldn't even be surprised if it is true. So depressing.

As someone who worked on Wall Street for longer than I cared to, I can confidently say that what we are all witnessing is essentially what happens when Banksters and their ilk take over an industry.

Bl@de

It's really good Valve is pushing Linux with Steam OS. Can't wait till I can crap on MS and move to a better plattform with no bullshit

Haunted

A bunch of mid-level employees talking to school students is not how anyone already familiar with this industry gains new insights in how a studio operates.

iceatcs

Oh MS. Very them...

Anyway "But our eyes can't see past 24 fps anyway" I think I have heard it before, was it IGN or Gamespot?

iNvid02

these monsters are infiltrating our schools and brainwashing the next generation into settling for 30fps, burn them all

Chev

it's kinda tricky and generally game-dependant, and in some cases the implications are a lot more subtle than it may seem the a normal player, especially in the case of games that do gameplay-related calculations on the GPU. Take From Dust for example, which got lots of flak for being locked to 30fps. There's an unlocker for it, but it'll accelerate the physics as well as the framerate, and it's not as easy as making the physics adaptive to frame rate, since anything that depends on explicit integration for physics will produce different results on different frame durations. So even if they'd released a 60fps version its physics would be different from the 30fps version.

Hasney

i would take anything posted on that subreddit with a huge grain of salt

How dare you

RRy0aoV.png

Isn't the PC version of Ryse 60fps? I don't see why MS would let Crytek do that and then tell Ubisoft to lock it.

Because Ryse is still exclusive to Microsoft platforms, I don't they they would really see Windows as an Xbox competitor, so it makes sense that they would allow their own 1st part games to run better on another platform they kind of own (I know MS don't own PCs, but they own the OS most of them use for games).

Whereas the PS4 is a competitor platform, so I could see why they would want games on PS4 nerfed to match the Xbone versions.

That being said, I'm not sure if I believe that MS are forcing parity on games in this way, but I could see why it wouldn't apply to games that are only on Xbox and PC.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Idon'tbelieveyou.gif

There's no way anyone would be this stupid to say that kind of stuff in a school. C'mon.

Thrakier

Microsoft is a horrible company with horrible anti-consumers strategies. Sometimes you find yourself wondering how they are still alive.

This seems too far-fetched to believe. Why would Sony/Microsoft want to lock the frame rate of PC versions? Also, if Microsoft cared that much about the PC versions of games, then they wouldn't allow future releases on PC for some of their "exclusives" and we never see frame rate locks with those games either.

There's a photo of them at the school though so the post must be true,right?
/s

But it gets better: the Game Architect said that they always try to aim for 60FPS, but due to "limitations", they have been settling at 30FPS for their latest games. He continued, saying that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC.

Can this be verified (edited with below quotes) in any way or should it be taken with a pinch of salt? If it is true then I really don't know what to say. It makes the 'wars' between PS4 and Xbox One owners seem insignificant if high-level PC tech is not being utilised so as to keep uniformity, consistency, sameness,
parity

I'm sceptical. Has it been verified as legit?

Of course not.

I picture a room filled with smug kids. Smirks on their faces. They are all hardcore gamers, they all post on gaf/v/reddit. Not one of this kids play mobile or minecraft because they know they are not real Games.

Banned
This sounds like a satire article. I dare them to try locking the FPS on the PC version. It's not that hard to edit a config file or wait for a modded to do it. Of course I may just skip the game altogether.

This seems too far-fetched to believe.

That's because it's utter lunacy. Microsoft exclusive games don't even limit framerates unless it's an engine-based reason. Dead Rising 3 had a 30fps cap, but Capcom provided PC users with information on how to remove that cap at their own risk. Ryse isn't capped on PC. Why in the flying fuck would they pay one single third party company to limit the PC port of a third party game, but not bother to do that with games they actually already funded themselves?

At least the conspiracies about paying Ubi to kneecap the PS4 version has some level of intellectual coherence, despite also being stupid and lacking evidence.

Lanrutcon

If this gets verified...boom.

Until then: ignoring it because it sounds like stuff someone who does not value their job would say.

HariKari

Why in the flying fuck would they pay one single third party company to limit the PC port of a third party game, but not bother to do that with games they actually already funded themselves?

You could make an argument that Microsoft has used up those games for their intended XB1 launch purpose and now just wants to make even more money on them. They're a lot of things but even they know 30fps on PC won't fly. I don't think it's crazy to suggest that Microsoft would shell out money to erase the performance difference between the two consoles if they could. So, for me, forced parity isn't outlandish when games have money changing hands behind the scenes for marketing deals and whatnot.

Which is why if Ubisoft ever chose to cap at 30 on PC... yeah. Would not end well for them.

Calabi

I dont believe it!

What kind of idiot developer would accept it and say "Yes we'll gimp the pc version for your benefit, with neither us nor our customers gaining anything from that transaction".

So this confirms the PC version is locked at 30 FPS as well?
Microsoft has some balls doing that to both Dead Rising 3 and now this.

Top Bottom