• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft says that MS & Sony are 'pressuring them' into 30FPS on PC; Phil: Not true

Thrakier, name one horrible anti-consumer strategy. Just one.

Erm, the DRM that they proposed for the Xbox One, before they did a 180? Or do you want something out of games? Like helping NSA with PRISM?

If you drink that much Kool-Aid you'll end up drowning, be careful.

This sounds like a satire article. I dare them to try locking the FPS on the PC version. It's not that hard to edit a config file or wait for a modded to do it. Of course I may just skip the game altogether.
People will mod any locks pretty quick. Still though, I would not support Ubisoft for its parity viewpoint.

Glass Rebel

NB8oTs5.png

no, it really isn't

Alx

Most of that seems like overreaction or interpretation of practice of the industry that are in no way negative or exceptional :

the Ubisoft employee, who was the 'Online Programmer' said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, who tell them what to keep in the game, and what to take out.

We know about the testing process for any game published on console. If elements of the game don't pass the certification, they have to be either corrected or removed.

the Game Architect said that they always try to aim for 60FPS, but due to "limitations", they have been settling at 30FPS for their latest games.

Obviously. You aim for the best case scenario, but in the end you usually have to make a compromise.

He continued, saying that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC.

That's probably bullshit. Or do we know what he means by "do the same" ?

The Game Architect continued, saying that Ubisoft reuses as much code as possible, which could explain the similarities between a few of their games.

That's good practice in any industry. Don't reinvent the wheel, and if you invested millions in a technology, you'd better get your money worth out of it. It's actually one of the things that made the Japan devs struggle, they were too used to rebuild their games from scratch, and didn't make a habit of building tools or using middleware.

The Game Architect said that on consoles, and especially for something like Assassin's Creed: Unity, they have to choose between graphic fidelity and smoothness.

Same as above, it's all about compromise. It's no secret that by choosing 30 fps, they get more horsepower to do other things.

'timois', who made the thread on Reddit, said that "he implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too".

Explicit speculation, and not a very likely theory.

OldRoutes

It's not because they work at Ubisoft that they're aware of Hardware manufacturer-Developer relationships. They're 3000 in there, only in Montreal.

Sounds more like 'Water cooler' talk than anything else.

But yeah the whole masterrace thing always did make me cringe.
Me too.
Which makes me glad I never stick with a side but rather buy a console/PC based around games.

That being said the developers comments were interesting. I would assume programming on the PC would be the most enjoyable.

Edit: The developers are probably pinning the blame on "console makers" rather than Ubisoft themselves since they do not want to get fired.

HariKari

But yeah the whole masterrace thing always did make me cringe.

It is mostly satire. The use of "master race" should probably give that away. There are a handful of people that take it deathly serious, just like there are a handful of crazies in the Microsoft and Sony camps. But that subreddit exists as a self-aware parody of PC gaming.

Donos

Don't belive the 30 fps locking from MS. People take floating (parity) rumors and spice them up.
What would MS gain? That someone chooses the XB1 version instead PC?

People should not belive every negative MS rumor just because they fucked up here and there in the past.

TimeKillr

So here's the thing...

1- Watch Dogs was mostly developed in Montreal. These are not Ubi Montreal employees - I highly doubt that Ubi would pay to send some devs and PR from Canada to France when they have studios in France.

2- "Console manufacturers tell us what we can keep" is BS, but only sort of BS. It's sort of true in that some devs have to get documents approved and such before you can get an OK to start working on the game. The thing is that this happens super early on, not right before you ship.

3- Parity between console platforms is a given - MS and Sony always want parity, and WILL give you shit (free promo usually) if you achieve certain goals for them. Sony in particular will love you if you also give something to PS+, and exclusive content always means better coverage.

4- 30fps is typically a tradeoff. In life, when you have a job to accomplish, normally it takes 20% effort to reach 80% completion, but 80% work to get the last 20% work done. ~30fps is not always trivial to reach, but is more often than not the best achievable result in a limited timeframe. You have to understand that these devs are always looking for the best possible visual experience from all standpoints, and that to them (and research they've conducted) 60fps does not sell more than 30fps. Great looking screenshots and trailers do, however. If there's a trailer that plays on tv, it ain't gonna be at 60fps, and screenshots obviously don't really care about framerate. Now I prefer 60fps, and I will always prefer 60fps, but it's not as simple as "just work more!" Optimization is a bitch.

So that's about it. They'll always use marketing speak to explain their decisions, even though they are not the real reasons (they'll never tell you it's too much work, except for the mocap thing, which is funny).

kiguel182

Most of that seems like overreaction or interpretation of practice of the industry that are in no way negative or exceptional :

We know about the testing process for any game published on console. If elements of the game don't pass the certification, they have to be either corrected or removed.

Obviously. You aim for the best case scenario, but in the end you usually have to make a compromise.

That's probably bullshit. Or do we know what he means by "do the same" ?

That's good practice in any industry. Don't reinvent the wheel, and if you invested millions in a technology, you'd better get your money worth out of it. It's actually one of the things that made the Japan devs struggle, they were too used to rebuild their games from scratch, and didn't make a habit of building tools or using middleware.

Same as above, it's all about compromise. It's no secret that by choosing 30 fps, they get more horsepower to do other things.

Explicit speculation, and not a very likely theory.

Yup, this is what I took from it too.

Most of the things written here are good practice and made sense while the rest is speculation.

i-Lo

Btw, what is meant by "What the hell happened to Watch Dogs"? I ask since the answer given is confusing.

Sentenza

Well, I didn't want to post in this thread since it's a baseless story with no credibility.
I also find a bit ridiculous that when the alleged developer said "Console manufacturers are pushing for..." everyone automatically assumed it was just MS (because Sony is made out of saints apparently)... *BUT* since you're asking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

CoLaN

It should be illegal to lock a game to 30fps just because of an agreement with a company. I spent a lot of money for my hardware and i want to use it.

Nope. And it doesn't need to be. It's negative news about MS on the internet. Auto-true.

See? :)

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone else, but you do know that Microsoft is a pretty awful company when it comes to underhanded tactics in relation to marketing, right?.

For example: http://www.scroogled.com/Home

Often, rather than having faith in the selling power of their own products, they create "propaganda" to reduce desirability of competing products. Whilst I wouldn't call it directly anti-consumer, they have always been far removed from being scrupulous.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt#Microsoft

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
That's because it's utter lunacy. Microsoft exclusive games don't even limit framerates unless it's an engine-based reason. Dead Rising 3 had a 30fps cap, but Capcom provided PC users with information on how to remove that cap at their own risk. Ryse isn't capped on PC. Why in the flying fuck would they pay one single third party company to limit the PC port of a third party game, but not bother to do that with games they actually already funded themselves?

At least the conspiracies about paying Ubi to kneecap the PS4 version has some level of intellectual coherence, despite also being stupid and lacking evidence.

Not that I'm giving this rumour and particular credence but DR3 and Ryse both came out close to a year after their console debut, long past the point of unfavourable comparisons potentially harming sales. Now if let's say as a pure hypothetical Sunsight Overdrive came out on PC the same day as the console version and was 30fps locked on PC then the theory could potentially merit some legitimacy, assuming Occam's Razor couldn't turn up a more plausible conclusion.

CLaddyOnFire

Neo Member
When I read the thread title, I pictured some businessman wearing an Ubisoft t-shirt standing over a group of elementary school students saying, "now remember, kids, 30 FPS is a more immersive cinematic experience than 60."

Seeing as this is on the r/pcmasterrace reddit, I am calling bullshit on these claims. That shit doesn't add up, and them having to confess as to why WD was what it was to students sounds unbelievable without some receipts.

So here's the thing...

1- Watch Dogs was mostly developed in Montreal. These are not Ubi Montreal employees - I highly doubt that Ubi would pay to send some devs and PR from Canada to France when they have studios in France.

All of Ubisofts bigger titles are made by all of Ubisofts worldwide studios due to size and scope.

shuri

Banned
Ubi is notoriously super hardcore about leaks and employees talking too much. I can guarantee this never conversation never happened. Also this reads like the tabulations of someone who has actually no idea about about how game development work

to which the Ubisoft employee, who was the 'Online Programmer' said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, who tell them what to keep in the game, and what to take out.
I mean, this? Seriously? Who thinks that game development works that way?

Ubi is notoriously super hardcore about leaks and employees talking too much. I can guarantee this never conversation never happened. Also this reads like the tabulations of someone who has actually no idea about about how game development work

I wouldn't say that. One of my lecturers at University was the lead designer for Ubisoft Reflections and worked on all the Driver games, and he was pretty forthcoming with a lot of industry information. The only thing he wouldn't share with us was Ubisofts super secret game design method or something along those lines (as in, the process they go about designing a game from scratch and how they organise it and stuff).
Though saying that, he wasn't working full time for Ubisoft at that point I don't think. Can't remember if he'd left Reflections or whether he was just part timing.

UrbanRats

I mean, this? Seriously? Who thinks that game development works that way?
"...and so Sony told us: 'tighten' up the graphics on level 2'..."

Respawn

Banned
Why the hell MS lock fps on PC? Doesn't make sense.
So was there DRM bullshit. Most called BS including me until that dark day. After all these years you folks sure are still in disbelief with what these companies are capable of. Especially the ones with the big bank accounts.

Marow

Recorded footage would've been good. If you were able to take pictures and realize the answers were strange from the get-go, then surely it couldn't have been hard to film it.

It's interesting claims, no doubt, but there's no way to back them up.

watership

Erm, the DRM that they proposed for the Xbox One, before they did a 180? Or do you want something out of games? Like helping NSA with PRISM?

If you drink that much Kool-Aid you'll end up drowning, be careful.

Let us apply the logic you use here, against any company. Or try this. Name a company that has never had a anti-consumer strategy. Or let's list companies that have active strategies. MS is the easy target, and people like to take all the corporations they throw money at, and put some in the "happy pile".

Gamers holding these concepts of one corporation having evil agendas and then supporting others comes off as naiveté.

JordanN

Banned
How on earth is it a different market? If a consumer owns a console and a PC and the PC version is better... which do you think consumers are more likely to go with?

Unless there are numbers to support 51% or more of people who own consoles also own high end PC's, Sony/MS are not wasting their time trying to convert to people who would never buy multiplats on a console to begin with.

Chev

I dont believe it!

What kind of idiot developer would accept it and say "Yes we'll gimp the pc version for your benefit, with neither us nor our customers gaining anything from that transaction".

Thing is, devs actually gain from that transaction. Assuming the frame rate can't go above 30fps permits some optimizations and shortcuts that would not be possible otherwise, and an overall lower hardware baseline for the optimal experience with the game.

watership

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone else, but you do know that Microsoft is a pretty awful company when it comes to underhanded tactics in relation to marketing, right?.

For example: http://www.scroogled.com/Home

Often, rather than having faith in the selling power of their own products, they create "propaganda" to reduce desirability of competing products. Whilst I wouldn't call it directly anti-consumer, they have always been far removed from being scrupulous.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt#Microsoft

Scroogled is marketing. Remember "I'm a mac and i'm a PC"? The antitrust and MS stuff from the 90 is all true. Not denying that. But they're not remotely the same company now. Most tech companies don't operate the same way they did 20+ years ago. I guess it comes down to personal "feels" about what people want to believe about a company. Some people think Google is the greatest threat to privacy we've ever had. Some think the Google doodle is super cute.

Respawn

Banned
As someone who worked on Wall Street for longer than I cared to, I can confidently say that what we are all witnessing is essentially what happens when Banksters and their ilk take over an industry.
I'm down here in the filth to brother. Hoping to find a way out also. I'm down on the old slip water street area.

Scroogled is marketing. Remember "I'm a mac and i'm a PC"? The antitrust and MS stuff from the 90 is all true. Not denying that. But they're not remotely the same company now. Most tech companies don't operate the same way they did 20+ years ago. I guess it comes down to personal "feels" about what people want to believe about a company. Some people think Google is the greatest threat to privacy we've ever had. Some think the Google doodle is super cute.

I didn't say Apples advert was any better, two wrongs not making a right and all. Anyway, I've not seen a single bit of evidence to prove that they're any different than they were, even last year had that really dodgy Nokia take over. MAYBE Nadella will change the company, or maybe he's just a board room puppet to replace the incredibly untrendy Ballmer. We'll probably find out in the next few years or so probably, but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom