• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft talks Wii U porting and development costs, total platform investment, more

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't really like including marketing costs in this to begin with. First of all the number varies wildly in terms of how much is spent on marketing. Secondly, I consider marketing a part of development, otherwise why aren't you putting dev costs into this. It would bring the number each publisher gets way down. The reason is dev costs vary wildly just like marketing.

Just pile the $36 into the publisher pot. Up to them what they negotiate to pay the developer so that will vary as you say, as will marketing. That diagram is perhaps a simple example for a typical big title and reflects the amounts usually spent on marketing.it wouldn't accurately reflect all titles

The break-even should be around 67.000 units (15€ profit) to 40.000 units (25€ profit). That's nothing.

If porting is really this cheap this raises some significant questions especially in regards to PC gaming. Why is it that a game like dragons dogma isn't on PC? Skyrim sold incredibly well on PC so it seems like guaranteed profit. This same thing goes for FFXIII and the like too. I understand not doing it immediately in some mistaken fear that pirates will cause people to not pay rather then get the console version, but months after and no word? I hope Dark Souls PC makes crazy money. Even PSVita can sell 67,000 units of a mid to top tier game.

AzaK

Hmm. Not sure I like ZombiU being coupled with 'low production value'. I hope it doesn't end up too small or casual feeling.

It has to be expected to some degree though right. As was said in that interview, they're not spending Assassins Creed III money on Zombi U and I don't think any of us should expect that.

Pixel_boy

Banned
Hmm. Not sure I like ZombiU being coupled with 'low production value'. I hope it doesn't end up too small or casual feeling.

that just = they not going to try sell it "ads space more so if it close too xmas", they will be pushing to sell more creed then any other

deviljho

that just = they not going to try sell it, they will be pushing to sell more creed then any other

Nintendo is selling it for them anyway by promoting to Wii U itself.

I'm not spending $60 on a game that the company actually says, "we didn't invest in it a lot, it's just a tech demo type of thing for us"

Top Bottom