• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch_Dogs will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on XB1, both at 30fps

Zornack

The thing is, Infamous was PS4 exclusive.

Therefore is was able to take greater advantage of the PS4's capabilities and harness more of its raw power.

Yeah, I guess it is a bit of an unfair comparison. What you mentioned plus the development hell it sounds like this game's been through. I just want a pretty game. :(

Buddy, later this year. It was specifically mentioned in the character trailer (the latest trailer) from Ubisoft. And in the investor presentation from Nintendo.

Yes, Fall of 2014..........Fall goes basically till November........if Nintendo has been developing Zelda behind the scenes now for awhile and wants that one game to sell some major consoles this holiday..........Zelda would be in October/November then to get the holiday sales.

Fractal

Banned
Before getting angry I'd wait to actually play and see the game in movement. Claiming that this game is a technologic disaster just because it can't reach the fanboy and TV industry-set milestone of 1080p is very shortsighted, even for NeoGAF standards.
Since 1080p has been a standard in both the TV industry and PC gaming for years, I'd say it's pretty disappointing seeing "next gen" consoles unable to pull it off, especially as we even have 4K slowly emerging on the market. Even though these resolution wars can get ridiculous at times, I wouldn't call 1080p a "fanboy milestone."

Is the game a technological disaster, we can't know until the release. But I'd say it's pretty reasonable to find these news disappointing, especially for PS4 owners, who were promised better...

Freeman

Banned
That is just terrible 1080p/30fps is what I was expecting for this game on PS4. It doesn't look impressive enough to justify the lower resolution.

I can understand why it would be 30fps, but the CPU doesn't affect the resolution.

People are reacting strongly because they thought almost every PS4 game would be 1080p this gen. It's looking less and less likely as time goes on. We're not even past cross gen yet.
I'd say the more likely reason we're acting likely is that the Ubisoft bullshit parade has reached horrible levels. Everytime this game is mentioned something else was graphically reduced in one way or the other for consoles. They talked big and there is a reckoning Mr. Wayne. You think you could leave such little graphics for us while you kept your riches.

The GAF knight Rises.

Starring an angry geek. Also starring Ubisoft as Ubanesoft.

Garcia

no one noticed my update, i'll post again lol

wd_photoshopdcc1y.png

Fantastic.

lantus

Now just imagine the state the game would have been in if it came out when it was originally supposed to last year. Yeeesh!

Dr Dogg

Well it could have been worse I suppose. UbiSoft could have come out with some Capcom like excuses used for DmC like saying something along the lines of "Watch_Dogs looks/feels like 1080p. Also, 1080p is tiring for your eyes, thus 900/792p"

There's that I guess :/

T.O.P

Banned
Some of the posts in this thread are cringe worthy holy shit

I guess most of the people pre-order titles based on resolution nowadays, gotcha

KJRS_1993

1080p for tv's has been a standard for what now, 9-10 years? Come the fuck on consoles, get with the damn times, it should have been a standard this gen but this game is another indication of games pushing less pixels and more fancy effects the more this gen goes on.

Do not know what the situation is like in america but here in the netherlands i'm pretty sure the biggest majority of folks has a 1080p screen in their household.

What difference does it make when most people can't tell the difference anyway? As long as it appears on the screen and looks nice, the resolution doesn't really make any odds.
You say most people have a 1080p display. The game works fine on a 1080p television.

Personally, I don't see the problem with fancy effects against more pixels.

Probably because Sony posted on their own site that the game would run at 1080p/60 on the PS4, only to later remove that info.

Yeah, but we've seen time and time again developers predict one resolution only to realize they can't do it. At what point did Ubisoft decide to inform everyone they can't hit 1080p/60?

Can't fault that on Sony without proof they were being deliberate.

Yes, Fall of 2014..........Fall goes basically till November........if Nintendo has been developing Zelda behind the scenes now for awhile and wants that one game to sell some major consoles this holiday..........Zelda would be in October/November then to get the holiday sales.

I dont think that 2 Zeldas will be out this year... there is that Hyrule Warriors game coming this year.
So no real competition for Watch Dogs :p

Nzyme32

Check this thread, PC gamers don't talk lower than 1080p/60fps with all settings maxed out.

And if you're gaming on PC with any setting lower than high/ultra and resolution lower than 1080p/60fps, then you don't need to game on a PC at all.

For the record just for entertaining people, I've been doing both for the past 3 years just due to moving around, and it's going fine. As an example when Max Payne 3 came out, I played it on my current laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5110n w/1366x768 screen at 800x600 stretched but set with aspect ratio 16:9, everything on medium with a few effects on high, 4xAF, and with some low AA maybe 2 x MSAA just above 40fps avg.

And you know what, I fully enjoyed the game, multiple times.

I made use of the hardware I had and later when I got back to my main computer, enjoyed it maxed out because I had that hardware as well.

Not only is that malleability a great pro of the PC, it's the entire point. Just because you happen to not see the threads that talk about this stuff doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This churlish behaviour in some of these threads over different platforms that you take a dislike to is utterly pompous, from what ever platform bias it comes from be it any console or PC, it needs to go away

/rant

This is also hardly the start of the generation. 900p could eventually become a standard with 3rd party games on the PS4 as time goes by. Although, most 1st party titles will probably stick to 1080p.

Could be, but I don't think Watch Dogs is the beginning of that. The game seems to have had issues for a long time now who knows what's going on.

I dont think that 2 Zeldas will be out this year... there is that Hyrule Warriors game coming this year.
So no real competition for Watch Dogs :p

Hyrule Warriors is being made by Koei the makers of the Dynasty Warriors and Dynasty Gundam games. They are hack n' slash 1 vs 10,000 soldier games and does not relate to how Zelda is naturally played and pertains to a completely separate crowd.

Nethaniah

What difference does it make when most people can't tell the difference anyway? As long as it appears on the screen and looks nice, the resolution doesn't really make any odds.
You say most people have a 1080p display. The game works fine on a 1080p television.

Personally, I don't see the problem with fancy effects against more pixels.

Some people might like their fancy effects more but that doesn't in any way invalidate the people that like to have a clear image that isn't blurred to hell and back.

And no the game does not work fine on my 1080p tv, i have a 360 / ps3 and wii-u, i know what a non-native image looks like and it isn't pretty, no amount of up-scaling or other tech can improve what is essentially bad image quality, like your watching some grand movie on youtube, why bother at that point.

But who cares if everyone doesn't have the best hardware, the PC platform is simply capable of playing the game as it's meant to be played if the user is willing to spend the money.

My specs:

-GTX 670 2GB sli, both overclocked
-3570k @4.7ghz

So I should be good to go @1080p.

Even then, we have the ability to upgrade to more powerful hardware down the line.

Pandemic

Jesus... Do I cancel my PS4 pre-order and just get the PC version?!

Help, I'm just concerned about my PC specs..
Windows 7
i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
GeForce GTX 680 4GB

Should I just stick with the PS4 version?

Cheers.

ZehDon

Gold Member
This is a sarcastic post, right?
Wasn't a stable 30fps at all. It dipped like crazy
Considering what Rockstar managed to pull out of those consoles, the low framerate could at least be justified. GTAV is a technical miracle for what it achieved on those consoles, and at 720p to boot, and with damn-near console parity. There's a reason it was received as well as it was.

In comparison to Watch_Dogs, whose anticipation seemingly decreases with every new piece of information and footage, GTAV was, and is, absolutely incredible. Watch_Dogs was delayed after GTAV because they realised they needed to compete with what Rockstar's seemingly impossible efforts. So far, even their next-gen versions appear to be barely able to match it, despite a near 10 fold increase in processing power. No wonder the PS360 versions are hidden away.

Quite a large proportion of people have got to stick to their guns, no matter how ridiculous they sound , for fear or having their post history trawled through for resolution hypocrisy...
Is Watch_Dogs "doing" more than GTAV? Judging from what we've seen, what Ubisoft have shown, and hands on impressions we're able to read and see, not really. Unless they're keeping major, game changing details under wraps, there isn't a whole lot going on to justify such a lacking next-gen game. As I said, I'll wait for the word of mouth, but considering how much worse the game looks compared to the reveal - the lighting in particular - 900p30 isn't really justifiable when Rockstar hit 720p~30 with great visuals and comparable scale on last gen hardware. I expect my AU$500.00 to do more.

Fractal

Banned

Windows 7
i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
GeForce GTX 680 4GB

Cheers.
I'd go with the PC version, definitely. You'll be pulling 1080p with most settings maxed, no problem.

Ground Zeroes is a multiplatform title that is 1080p and a totally locked 60fps on PS4. Be that as it may, the reason different explanations are given for the different consoles is because of facts, not bias. The fact is, many games run below 1080p on Xbox One, and all of the multiplats run below PS4. On PS4, there has only been one game before this without a native resolution, and it is twice the framerate (and wasn't delayed 6 months for polish either). Watch Dogs is the worst-performing game released on PS4.

Those are all quite good reasons to believe that Xbox One has endemic issues with 1080p, and PS4 has developer issues. (Even if that turns out not to be the case.)

You're casting a wide net there and catching some inaccuracies with it. There are games with parity on both consoles. And a team like Guerrilla is very technically proficient and they were not able to do 1080p in half of their game on PS4. So I would say it has more to do with the scope of the game than anything.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

Windows 7
i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
GeForce GTX 680 4GB

Cheers.

You must be kidding right? Right?

Goddamn why are you even bothering with PS4 version? It's PC all the way.

KJRS_1993

Some people might like their fancy effects more but that doesn't in any way invalidate the people that like to have a clear image that isn't blurred to hell and back.

And no the game does not work fine on my 1080p tv, i have a 360 / ps3 and wii-u, i know what sub-fullhd looks like and it isn't pretty, no amount of up-scaling or other tech can improve what is essentially bad image quality, like your watching some grand movie on youtube.

Course it doesn't invalidate what other people want. If anything, I think the time now for a simple check box on option menus is long overdue now for people to make their own minds up.

To be fair on the X360 and PS3, a lot of the games on that were always sub HD and uprezzed from there. You also have to remember that those things came out in 05 / 06, when televisions weren't quite so huge as they are now.

If you can get an image on the screen and play through the game unimpeded, that to me is working fine :p if you can load a film on YouTube and watch it front to back and see everything that happens, that is also fine :p

Maybe your standards are mighty high fella :p which is fine, as theirs always the PC choice.

Hyrule Warriors is being made by Koei the makers of the Dynasty Warriors and Dynasty Gundam games. They are hack n' slash 1 vs 10,000 soldier games and does not relate to how Zelda is naturally played and pertains to a completely separate crowd.

its getting ot now. I know who is developing it but Nintendo will publish this title in the west.

My point is, that they will never release two Zeldas within the span of a few months. The next real Zelda will come next year maybe, Watch Dogs on WiiU this year. And i dont care about that Hyrule Warriors thing. If the new mainline Zelda is indeed coming out this year like you said, i will buy you a copy as a present :)

Phil4000

Watch Dogs absolutely does not look better than black flag. Not from the media we've seen anyway, unless you know more than us.

Have you been watching the the same trailers as I have?! WD looks noticeably better than ACIV from a visual standpoint.
The NPCs look better (in cutscenes and in the open world), the world detail is higher (water, wind simulation, number of NPCs on screen), even the animation seems to be a step up over ACIV (more animation variety, facial nuances, cloth simulation)

SparkTR

Witcher 3 is semi-confirmed or very strongly rumored to be sub-1080 isn't it? Probably wanna put Ubis MMO Clancy FPS on there too.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the new Batman game is either, at least judging by Giantbombs comments on its performance.

so should we start calling this gen the 7.5 generation? seriously this is embarrassing that Sony and MS would release consoles that are unable to hit 1080p/60fps with ease, they seriously expect these consoles to last 5-8 years like previous generations? glad i'm holding off on buying either console.

Top Bottom