• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE4 Tech Demo: "Unreal Paris Virtual Tour" aka most incredible thing I've ever seen

It's a neat little tech demo... but if tech demos have taught me anything over the last 15 years, it's that they promise way more than anyone can deliver for years to come in realistic gameplay scenarios. Hell, there are effects from old radeon 9800 demos for directX 8 I never really saw used anywhere...

Three

That's impressive. You can just tell it's just not right, just.

Add some realistic camera shake and I think it would truly fool most people into thinking it's real. As people have mentioned though I don't think this is impossible with PS4 and midrange PCs. Most of it is prebaked. No player shadow, no interactive objects. As a result the nice lighting and reflections are not computationally expensive at all.

Three

That chromatic aberration. I want to poke my eyes out. It does not belong there at all.

I don't know the technical details of the rift but could it be the fact that the view tries to correct for chromatic aberration in the lens of the OR by introducing a mapped offset?

Kevin

It's a neat little tech demo... but if tech demos have taught me anything over the last 15 years, it's that they promise way more than anyone can deliver for years to come in realistic gameplay scenarios. Hell, there are effects from old radeon 9800 demos for directX 8 I never really saw used anywhere...

Yup and it seems like very little companies/games are even supporting Unreal Engine 4. Most of the announced games are indies at this point except for a very small amount of AAA games. I'm surprised since how successful UE3 was I figured UE4 would be at least as popular. Especially since the engine does indeed look good.

Whiley ou are still nitpicking how static (dead) this demo is, Nvidia just released an update for UE4 enabling its Flex works with it (they already released wave works and VXGI will be out in a week).
For those who don't know what is Nvidia Flex : https://developer.nvidia.com/physx-flex

Here is what you get in UE4: You can stand and sit on the balloon and deform it by your weight (fluids and other solids may interact with it):

attachment.php

Imagine that when you could do the same on the couches and deform them when jump on them or sit on them, will you still say that this is still not impressive?

Last edited:

Thorgal

The effects are indeed impressive but just having one highly rendered room doesn't impress me anymore.

now if you could show me the interactive skyline of Paris with enough fidelity to at first glance fool my eyes into thinking I am looking at a real-life image/footage then I will pay attention.

squidyj

Isn't it Fox Engine deferred? I could wrong but it's not exactly like to say real time. From this point of view UE 4 it's more real time although only in the static objects if I have understood how works.

deferred doesn't mean what you think it means.

lilltias

Is Alien: Isolation using PBR tech? It sure looks like it sometimes. Really nailed the materials and lighting in that game, and for some reason I was reminded about it when looking at this demo (although the art is totally different)

Is Alien: Isolation using PBR tech? It sure looks like it sometimes. Really nailed the materials and lighting in that game, and for some reason I was reminded about it when looking at this demo (although the art is totally different)

Almost all the games released this gen and new engines use PBR. It is not a big deal, but how you use it efficiently matters and can distinguish the game.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm getting quad-renderings with this. Like both eyes have both viewports.

This is a "hidden feature" of the DK2, when it is driven at 120 hz, it will do double rendering in each eye. The reason for this is it's supposed to be for people to see the entire screen in each eye (i.e. if you want to display a 2D desktop across the entire view of the rift) but it was completely undocumented.

The latest Nvidia drivers, specifically their 3D drivers, will force the rift into 120 hz mode, causing that problem. Roll back your drivers or uninstall nvidia 3D vision and it should work.

pestul

Yikes, it looked awesome on the Youtube video.. but I was not impressed at all seeing it at 1440p on my own setup.

Wow it looks so nice!

But it runs at like 7fps on my old beast...;(

Probably a good idea to upgrade soon especially since I'm interested in UE4 development

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, if I had a game that looked like that i'd probably forget about my own house and live there instead

Top Bottom