• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 145 |OT| A Special Night with Jon Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

Back from the bar. That was kind've a boring fight there. Rashad played it scared like the last 4 rounds after it started raining elbows. So much for his plan.

Bones-Hendo hopefully in August at the latest. But after he demolishes Hendo, who is even left for him? Gus?

. But after he demolishes Hendo, who is even left for him? Gus?

method=get&rs=90&q=75&x=-9&y=3&w=240&h=320&ro=0&s=0E4444CE-1D09-6BFC-E50930E926C98CD8.jpg

Out of retirement for one night only...

Kreunt

Banned
machida again IMO, he's the only person that has managed to rattle jones. but he seems to be in hibernation and i doubt they'll give him another title shot straight away.

Kellen

Hendo is one of my favorites but this is going to be tough fight for him. I think Jones will beat him but obviously Dan has a punchers chance with the h-bomb.

machida again IMO, he's the only person that has managed to rattle jones. but he seems to be in hibernation and i doubt they'll give him another title shot straight away.

Machida needs at least 2 more good wins before he can ask for a title shot. Unless everyone starts failing drug tests and he gets to pull a Mir and jump ahead of the pack.

HiResDes

Not only is Jones gifted physically and athletically, but he's proven to be an extremely intelligent fighter as well. I hope he isn't forced to move up weight classes too soon, as I enjoy watching fighters in their prime fighting close to their natural weight. However, I do think that a possible Jones/JDS match at a catchweight would be fantastic to see, though possibly too much for the industry.

TheNatural

My Member!
Jones isn't going to fight any of these guys he's tooled anytime soon. The great thing about basically bulldozing a division in a year is, no one can even rebuild themselves to be legitimate for a rematch. Nobody he's beaten is anywhere close to being in line again. He'll just move up to Heavyweight.

Alchemy

Jones has a great streak going, but I knew this fight was going to be boring. A few parts of action with a bunch of patty cake. I love Hendo but that reach is going to be a huge pain to get in on. I can see him getting jabbed to death for five rounds.

Jones isn't going to fight any of these guys he's tooled anytime soon. The great thing about basically bulldozing a division in a year is, no one can even rebuild themselves to be legitimate for a rematch. Nobody he's beaten is anywhere close to being in line again. He'll just move up to Heavyweight.

Dan Henderson, Alexander Gustaffason, Phil Davis then the rematches with those guys I think.....I think Dana wants Jones at light HW.

Zeliard

That's one hell of an if, friend.

Yeah Anderson has supernatural standup in MMA so he'd probably have much better success on the feet vs Jones than anyone save for someone like JDS or Overeem at HW, even with the reach disadvantage, but Jones would just try to take him down and likely succeed pretty effortlessly. If Anderson can't stop Chael's takedowns I don't know how he'd stop a bigger guy who takes people down at 205 easily. And unlike Chael, Jones does serious damage when he's on top of guys.

I think that fight is pretty unlikely, anyway, though there is about to be perfect timing for it. If/when Anderson beats Chael, and Jones beats Hendo, that would be the perfect time for them to meet up. But it likely won't happen, unfortunately. The best bet would be for Anderson to move up to 205 rather than some catchweight fight, especially if Jones is going to move up to HW after Hendo. He isn't going to want to dip below 205 beforehand; it wouldn't make any sense.

Also, lol @ Randy Couture saying that Chael Sonnen could beat Jon Jones.

Zeliard

There'd be huge money in it so they may for something like Anderson's big retirement fight. Anderson is 37 so he doesn't have much time left and he has to give up that belt eventually. I don't think he plans on pulling a Couture and fighting into his 40s.

The question is whether Anderson would want to do it, and he's already said he'd never fight Jones, so I don't see it happening. As far as Silva-GSP, who knows. GSP still has a couple potential fights at 170, unlike Anderson in his division, so that probably won't happen either. Plus it doesn't seem like GSP has ever cared to move up for that fight.

GSP is also a few years younger than Anderson, I think the fight should have happened a few years ago anyways. Would much rather see Anderson/Jones. It just makes more sense because Anderson has already fought at 205 and people want to see Jones lose already so Anderson could be the only hope.

Lets hope Hendo can drop Jones with a clean bomb otherwise if he "rattles" Jones he would recover before Hendo can reach for an onslaught assault on him because I have noticed when Jones gets hit or rattled he falls back to recover a few feet before the potential flurries rain. Its crazy how good he is with keeping his distance.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Too many WWE fans here. That was an excellent MMA fight, and was very entertaining.

The reason why I liked it so much was because either man could have finished each other at any second.

Finally someone with a fight IQ higher than 20. What we witnessed was the mma equivalent of a chess match while Jones vs. Shogun/Rampage/Machida were all closer to checkers. Not only were these two fighters extremely talented and intelligent but they trained together. They both have an intimate knowledge of each others strengths and weaknesses.

This was the most strategic fight of the night, and Jones still made it look easy. Only a really trained eye for mma could see how technical and entertaining that fight really was. They both had the tools, talent and fight IQ to brutally punish one another from the smallest of mistakes.

Brendan Schaub's fight should be a testament to how easily one can lose a fight, when one throws caution to the wind and tries to finish, but your opponent is still extremely dangerous. That could have happened at any time to Jones or Evans. They both fought very smart.

JimiNutz

Banned
Its never gonna happen but how much better would the next two years of UFC be if:

Silva beat Sonnen and moved up to LHW.
Evans moved down to MW.
GSP fought Condit and then moved up to MW.
Silva and Jones fought for LHW title and then Jones moved up to HW.

So many interesting matchups if a few dominant champs just moved up after their next fights :(

GSP could learn a thing or two from Rory McDonald too... Not necessarily technique, but how to take a striker down and actually use effective GnP and put on a dominant but exciting victory...

Kreunt

Banned
Its never gonna happen but how much better would the next two years of UFC be if:

Silva beat Sonnen and moved up to LHW.
Evans moved down to MW.
GSP fought Condit and then moved up to MW.
Silva and Jones fought for LHW title and then Jones moved up to HW.

So many interesting matchups if a few dominant champs just moved up after their next fights :(

GSP could learn a thing or two from Rory McDonald too... Not necessarily technique, but how to take a striker down and actually use effective GnP and put on a dominant but exciting victory...

may aswell have a tank abbott vs steven seagal 300lb catchweight match while we're at it

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
...wait after silva wins his next fight (yeah i said it) wont him and jones fight....hasnt silva fought at light heavyweight before....that would be awesome.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Caught up the event an hour ago and here are some thoughts:

-Gravedigger :( terrible way to showcase your lack of jits mang. DAT FLAILING. Still Uncle Dana or Tio Silva throw him some cans for interesting slobberknockers. I gots a soft spot for underdogs.

-Wonderboy geeze. Talk about lack of TDD.

-Haha at the Hybrid. Dude's chin/temple is so suspect. Also at that invisible man grabbing HAHAHAHA. I had Rothwell on this one, and can't lie was kind of sweating when he ate that weird spinning back elbow, but DAT LEFT which didn't look like much came through. Keep Rothwell around weeding out chumps in the HW division IMO. Definition of gatekeeper.

34g7rqrwrzl2.gif

-Poor Miguel AngHell Torres :( I bet he heard McDonald talking smack about changing his style, so he came aggressive. All according to Keikaku. During the fight you can see McDonald studied aggressive Miguel Anghell Torres and kept trying to land that inside uppercut in the pocket. Well, it worked out. Sucks for Miguel Anghell Torres, but I'm still a fan of the guy. Just hope that when he watches the tape that he notices McDonald just focusing on catching him with that inside uppercut and to watch out for that from now on. I also believe he was screwed over on the Mighty Mouse fight. FYI active sub attempts from bottom >>>>>>>>>>>> Rubbing your head on chest from top

-Everyone is hyping Rory to the high heavens, but I still believe he has more to prove IMO. Throw him against some top 10 Welterweights and if he is dominant than yeah the the crazy hype is more understandable. Or maybe he'll bust a George Sot aka one of the biggest hype train derails. I also don't think his demolition of Nate Diaz was anything special. Nate at 170 is like a baby Gap kid shopping at the regular Gap store. Basically undersized big time.

-I had Jones winning by TKO somewhere in the 1st 3 rounds, but was surprised with Evans surviving some of those hard rights and elbows especially with Evan's suspect chin. Got to give props to Evans for landing some of the hardest shots Jones has been hit with, but Jones made it look easy in there.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Finally someone with a fight IQ higher than 20. What we witnessed was the mma equivalent of a chess match while Jones vs. Shogun/Rampage/Machida were all closer to checkers. Not only were these two fighters extremely talented and intelligent but they trained together. They both have an intimate knowledge of each others strengths and weaknesses.

This was the most strategic fight of the night, and Jones still made it look easy. Only a really trained eye for mma could see how technical and entertaining that fight really was. They both had the tools, talent and fight IQ to brutally punish one another from the smallest of mistakes.

Brendan Schaub's fight should be a testament to how easily one can lose a fight, when one throws caution to the wind and tries to finish, but your opponent is still extremely dangerous. That could have happened at any time to Jones or Evans. They both fought very smart.

denzel-.gif

Jackson is turning Jones into a boring fighter no surprise. When Rashad actually landed a shot and got in he decided to back off to taunt instead of trying to follow it up with anything... sigh. horrible fight all around.

Schaub hesitated for too long before he decided to go in for the kill. He fucked up.

It was nice seeing Tores get laid out. I can't handle his fighting stance. Looks like he strains his whole body just to lift up his shoulders... No wonder he couldn't avoid a punch.

Macdonald is awesome. He also had less acne this time. Maybe he has perfected cycling off the roids.

SteveWD40

Only good fight was future WW CHAMP RORY beating Che like he stole something.

I wonder how many fighters Joe had to go through before he landed on Mills. Must have been a fair few. No way was Che Mills lined up for a co-main after only 1 UFC win over a nobody.

He is a decent journeyman, would make a good gatekeeper but fuck me, Rory is the next WW champ and could probably take the strap right now if they gave him Condit again.

I feel a bit bad for him, least he came away looking tough if nothing else, no shame in losing to that scary fucking kid.

Everyone is hyping Rory to the high heavens, but I still believe he has more to prove IMO. Throw him against some top 10 Welterweights and if he is dominant than yeah the the crazy hype is more understandable.

Errr, he was beating the current WW interim champ, if not for a questionable stoppage he would have beat him. Ragdolled him for the first 2 rounds.

Yes he looked amazing last night cos it was a horrific mis-match, but he still is a beast with a proven track record.

SteveWD40 said:
Errr, he was beating the current WW interim champ, if not for a questionable stoppage he would have beat him. Ragdolled him for the first 2 rounds.
I noticed this is an extremely common opinion. But I think some people really need to re-watch the fight. It was fairly close in the first two rounds with Macdonald getting the edge with takedowns which he did nothing with, mostly just getting hit. One judge even scored an earlier round for Condit. He got absolutely trashed in the 3rd round (I recall him being wobbly walking around after the stoppage) and should've been a 10-8 if it wasn't stopped.

Aside from that, I'd like to see if he could beat a decent wrestler. He doesn't seem to have to great takedown defense so it's a matter of how good his grappling his. This reminds me of the Hathaway fight before facing Pyle, though before that loss Hathaway had beaten better fighters in Story and Diego than Rory has so far.

SteveWD40

I noticed this is an extremely common opinion. But I think some people really need to re-watch the fight. It was fairly close in the first two rounds with Macdonald getting the edge with takedowns which he did nothing with, mostly just getting hit. One judge even scored an earlier round for Condit. He got absolutely trashed in the 3rd round (I recall him being wobbly walking around after the stoppage) and should've been a 10-8 if it wasn't stopped.

Aside from that, I'd like to see if he could beat a decent wrestler. He doesn't seem to have to great takedown defense so it's a matter of how good his grappling his. This reminds me of the Hathaway fight before facing Pyle, though before that loss Hathaway had beaten better fighters in Story and Diego than Rory has so far.

Fair argument, might have to re-watch it.

People calling Jones boring are insane.

I don't see anyone saying every single one of his fights have been boring. But he was largely boring as shit in this fight. There's a difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson turns him into another boring winner though. This is just the beginning. He is great at that.

DKehoe

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;37179086 said:
I don't see anyone saying every single one of his fights have been boring. But he was largely boring as shit in this fight. There's a difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson turns him into another boring winner though. This is just the beginning. He is great at that.

Towards the end Rashad wasn't doing much and Jones was still trying to finish. He pulled guard at the end just for the fun of it.

I guess maybe the problem would be that Jones' physical gifts make it hard for anyone to do much to him but Jones himself isn't boring.

Towards the end Rashad wasn't doing much and Jones was still trying to finish. He pulled guard at the end just for the fun of it.

I guess maybe the problem would be that Jones' physical gifts make it hard for anyone to do much to him but Jones himself isn't boring.

A few nice elbows and punches doesn't change anything. Both fighters spent a lot of time doing nothing. Jones obviously dominated, but in the safest Jacksonesque win at all costs way possible. If I was Jones I would not be happy with this showing based on his past performances. Take off the blinders.

yacobod

Banned

Shaheed79, who you crapping?

The commentary during the Bones-Evans fight was the first time I was personally bugged by the bias.

Good fights and Rory MacDonald, enjoy your title in a few years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Did everyone miss Rory get completely stanky leg rocked and then shoot for an emergency takedown?

He looked good but let's not get crazy here.

Did everyone miss Rory get completely stanky leg rocked and then shoot for an emergency takedown?

He looked good but let's not get crazy here.

So when he got in trouble he managed to keep composure, take someone down then turn their face into ground beef?

I'd say that's a pretty smart fight move...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom