• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ugly girl': The negative messages we send to our daughters

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it shouldn't, not legally. Airbrushing images may or may not contribute to self-image issues among women on a case-by-case basis, but to suggest that the government needs to step in and regulate it is absurd.

It's admittedly a minor issue -- it doesn't really matter if an airbrushed image carries a disclaimer or not. But as a matter of principle, I'm opposed to the government regulating such.

You just continue to dig your own grave. Although I guess a lot of people deny global warming as well. And evolution. I will not even entertain you by asking "How can you think it doesn't contribute to self-image issues", you seem to be logic-proof.

Pre

You just continue to dig your own grave. Although I guess a lot of people deny global warming as well. And evolution. I will not even entertain you by asking "How can you think it doesn't contribute to self-image issues", you seem to be logic-proof.

Except I didn't say that it absolutely doesn't contribute to self-image issues. I acknowledge that it can and does for many women. My problem is with proposed regulation, as I don't see that it's the government's responsibility to police an issue like whether or not women feel inadequate because of an airbrushed image.

I'm underweight. I feel inadequate when I see images of handsome, muscular men. It caused me emotional stress as a kid in school. But that's just part of life, and regulating airbrushing isn't going to stop people from comparing themselves to others and suffering from feelings of inadequacy.

Except I didn't say that it absolutely doesn't contribute to self-image issues. I acknowledge that it can and does for many women. My problem is with proposed regulation, as I don't see that it's the government's responsibility to police an issue like whether or not women feel inadequate because of an airbrushed image.

I'm underweight. I feel inadequate when I see images of handsome, muscular men. It caused me emotional stress as a kid in school. But that's just part of life, and regulating airbrushing isn't going to stop people from comparing themselves to others and suffering from feelings of inadequacy.

Except in the case of airbrushed female celebrities women and young girls are led to believe this is the STANDARD, that you are inadequate if you do not have a figure like that.

I do not understand what is the problem here. The standard is clearly impossible to reach, given the image is airbrushed. Do you allow companies to sell medicine with unsubstantiated medical claims (actually you do, homeopathy, but that is a topic for some other time)? No you don't.

I cannot believe even the mighty US of A has no laws about misleading advertising. And that is what it is - misleading advertising.

He said it may or may not effect women's self image on a case by case basis. Many, many women understand that these pictures are airbrushed, and that the models in these pictures and the actresses in these movies are genetically gifted and have personal trainers and work with nutritionists, etc. Many, many women realize that it's completely unrealistic to try to look like these models and actresses and don't base their self-esteem on comparing themselves to these women. You're acting like women are idiots and need to be saved from these terrible media images by a smart man like you. Maybe not every woman needs your big brain to protect them.

Except in the case of airbrushed female celebrities women and young girls are led to believe this is the STANDARD, that you are inadequate if you do not have a figure like that.

I do not understand what is the problem here. The standard is clearly impossible to reach, given the image is airbrushed. Do you allow companies to sell medicine with unsubstantiated medical claims (actually you do, homeopathy, but that is a topic for some other time)? No you don't.

I cannot believe even the mighty US of A has no laws about misleading advertising. And that is what it is - misleading advertising.

Why would women believe that celebrities are the STANDARD, when they can look around them at their classmates and co-workers and peers and see what real women look like every day? Women see real women all the time, all around them, every day, and they know that all these women are obviously the standard, not celebrities.

He said it may or may not effect women's self image on a case by case basis. Many, many women understand that these pictures are airbrushed, and that the models in these pictures and the actresses in these movies are genetically gifted and have personal trainers and work with nutritionists, etc. Many, many women realize that it's completely unrealistic to try to look like these models and actresses and don't base their self-esteem on comparing themselves to these women. You're acting like women are idiots and need to be saved from these terrible media images by a smart man like you. Maybe not every woman needs your big brain to protect them.

Why would women believe that celebrities are the STANDARD, when they can look around them at their classmates and co-workers and peers and see what real women look like every day? Women see real women all the time, all around them, every day, and they know that all these women are obviously the standard, not celebrities.

Please refer to the article in the OP.

She is even aware of this influence, writing: “I wish the people who had real power and control the images and messages we get fed all day actually thought about what they did for once… I know the girls in adverts are airbrushed. I know beauty is on the inside. But I still feel like I'm not good enough.”

Over 60% of adults feel ashamed of how they look…

A recent report by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image revealed girls as young as five now worry about their weight and appearance and “one in four seven year old girls have tried to lose weight at least once.”

The pressure on women and young girls to conform to such stereotypes is overwhelming, and until it is tackled, it will continue to undermine attempts to convince young women like this teenager that she really can “be whatever I want to be”.

The problem is psychological. This is the same as arguing depression is a made-up condition, and a person needs to "man up" and beat it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I don't think airbrush-regulation is the answer. Modelling- and fashion-agencies should take their responsibility and get a grip on what's beautiful.

For instance, Holland's #1 sexsymbol, a bombshell if you ever saw one, got turned down by a modelling agency because she was too short and too fat. For reference-material, google "tatjana simic". Add Playboy to the searchterm for extra references.
Also; in those top-model talentshows, the judges dare call a 185cm tall, 60kg weighing girl "overweight". And this is not even an exception. Everyone is in on it; photographers, casting agencies, fashion designers, every single one.

I'm not even surprised girls nowadays feel ugly. It's not just the adverts, it's the magazines they read. Every fucking fashion-magazine today has an article on how you can look like Nicky Minaj, Beyoncé or who-ever brings teh sexay today. Right next to that article, you can read how ugly you are if you do NOT look like any celebrity.

I compared mags once with a colleague; she was reading Vogue, I was reading Playboy. Her magazine was telling her how she needed to look like Britney Spears (this was in the Oops I did it again-period), my magazine was telling me how the centerfold of that month gets turned on by guys who like potato-chips and play videogames; her mag made her feel depressed, my mag made feel good about myself.

I don't think airbrush-regulation is the answer. Modelling- and fashion-agencies should take their responsibility and get a grip on what's beautiful.

For instance, Holland's #1 sexsymbol, a bombshell if you ever saw one, got turned down by a modelling agency because she was too short and too fat. For reference-material, google "tatjana simic". Add Playboy to the searchterm for extra references.
Also; in those top-model talentshows, the judges dare call a 185cm tall, 60kg weighing girl "overweight". And this is not even an exception. Everyone is in on it; photographers, casting agencies, fashion designers, every single one.

I'm not even surprised girls nowadays feel ugly. It's not just the adverts, it's the magazines they read. Every fucking fashion-magazine today has an article on how you can look like Nicky Minaj, Beyoncé or who-ever brings teh sexay today. Right next to that article, you can read how ugly you are if you do NOT look like any celebrity.

I compared mags once with a colleague; she was reading Vogue, I was reading Playboy. Her magazine was telling her how she needed to look like Britney Spears (this was in the Oops I did it again-period), my magazine was telling me how the centerfold of that month gets turned on by guys who like potato-chips and play videogames; her mag made her feel depressed, my mag made feel good about myself.
Ah yes, reading Playboy for the interviews :p The gossip rags for females are just awful and negative on every level. I guess the whole business makes money by making people feel insecure.

I don't think we should ban airbrushing or Photoshop usage, but a disclaimer that it was used like nutrition guides on foods would be reassuring.

Pre

The problem is psychological. This is the same as arguing depression is a made-up condition, and a person needs to "man up" and beat it.

Do you have any evidence that the inadequacy brought on by viewing airbrushed images of women is an any way similar to the chemical imbalance that occurs in one's brain when they develop clinical depression?

And one of the women in the OP notes explicitly that she knows that the images she sees are airbrushed -- how does empowering the government to require advertisers to place disclaimers on these images solve the problem, then?

Platy

Lots of issues being labelled as "feminist" today that affected me as a male child. Being an overweight kid caused years of social and personal trauma. I'm well and truly over it, but I find the genderization of the issue inaccurate.

As a male CHILD.
Kids are evil and will be evil to you no matter who you are....

But read the thread again, there are 2 girls talking that this still happen to then and they are 25 and 26

Caelus

I think people need to be given proper advice on how to achieve the full potential of their bodies, instead of having this "six-pack in six days" or "achieve bigger breasts with this superfood" bullshit.

Hari Seldon

Why is everyone talking about air brushing? Pretty sure that models who get paid to stay in top shape don't need much airbrushing to look hot as fuck. The fact of the matter is, unless you get PAID to stay in shape it is going to be a lifelong struggle to stay in shape, man or woman, especially if you have a career and a family.

Platy

Why is everyone talking about air brushing? Pretty sure that models who get paid to stay in top shape don't need much airbrushing to look hot as fuck. The fact of the matter is, unless you get PAID to stay in shape it is going to be a lifelong struggle to stay in shape, man or woman, especially if you have a career and a family.

LOL

EVERYONE needs airbrushing to look the way models appear on magazines and even movies.

The problem is that airbrushing in most of those cases is overkill and create a sense of beauty BEYOND any human standard

Samara

Was there some law passed on makeup commercials?

Before it was written really really small that these were fake eyelashes or whatever, but now its clearly stated that what you see was added for effects and whatnot.

Hari Seldon

LOL

EVERYONE needs airbrushing to look the way models appear on magazines and even movies.

The problem is that airbrushing in most of those cases is overkill and create a sense of beauty BEYOND any human standard

My point is that airbrushing adds like 1% to the hotness of a victoria secret model. The other 99% is genetics, constant attention to nutrition and exercise, and hair/makeup.

number47

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And on that note, getting tired of people knocking down those who are fit. People are forgetting the hardwork and dedication that comes with it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And on that note, getting tired of people knocking down those who are fit. People are forgetting the hardwork and dedication that comes with it.

Plenty of models aren't fit or in shape. They're naturally thin and starve themselves to be even thinner. Being excessively underweight isn't healthy either and yet it's sold as the pinnacle of beauty. Not to mention even the thinnest of models aren't thin enough and they basically photoshop them to have barbie proportions.

number47

Plenty of models aren't fit or in shape. They're naturally thin and starve themselves to be even thinner. Being excessively underweight isn't healthy either and yet it's sold as the pinnacle of beauty. Not to mention even the thinnest of models aren't thin enough and they basically photoshop them to have barbie proportions.

There has been rules set on underweight models before. But to defend them, they are 'models' who embody what the fashion designer created. If anything,why not blame the designer for what he thinks is acceptable for his line.

BBC will be running a season of programmes about body image from Monday 19 - Wednesday 28th November.

They ran an article on the FIVE photos that sparked body image debates over the years, including the Dove real beauty campaign.

Well worth reading the whole thing, and can't wait to tune in to the program.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20252921
  1. Dove real beauty ad campaign (2004)
  2. Josh Sundquist (2006)
    _64009748_64009745.jpg
  3. Lizzie Miller NSFW (2009)
    "If you're bigger honestly than a size six [US size six usually converts to a UK size 10] they'll put you on the plus-size board which is really sad," says Miller. "I feel like the fashion industry always goes to that extreme. Models who are size zero and two are actually modelling clothes for women that are actually size six to eight. So I feel like with us, we're size 12-14 but really we're modelling for girls that are 16-20."
  4. Isabelle Caro RIP NSFW (2007; Anti-Anorexia campaign)
    "Most seriously, these images we find so shocking, don't shock someone with an eating disorder. They excite, encourage and motivate them to get as thin, if not thinner than the person depicted."
  5. Demi Moore (1991; the famous 'Demi' pregnant pose)
    Moore's earnings are said to have risen from $350,000 in 1990 to $3 million in 1992 at least in part as a consequence of the photo.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Men face these body issues too, but the difference is that a man can be successful and not handsome. For a woman, no matter if you're the best in the world, or the most powerful, you need to be attractive on top of it. Look at all the bullshit someone like Sarah Jessica Parker has to go through, while Philip Seymore Hoffman gets a pass for his looks.

I just watched a doc on MMA fighter Ronda Rousey, and she was doing all these photo shoots and everyone was going on about how beautiful she was, and her challenger Sarah Kaufman was getting really pissed off about it. Understandably so. There was all this jawing about how she maybe was being pushed up the ranks on her looks. I don't think GSP or Jon Jones ever have to think if they're more or less handsome than their opponent in the octagon.

jimi_dini

Men face these body issues too, but the difference is that a man can be successful and not handsome. For a woman, no matter if you're the best in the world, or the most powerful, you need to be attractive on top of it.

Successful as an actress? Probably.

Successful in a job like doctor or consultant? Hell no. One of the (female) consultants I met just a few months ago was definitely overweight, but she knew what she was doing and that's what matters.

And one of our female doctors is definitely overweight as well, but she knows what she is doing as well and because of that she gets paid more than regular assistant doctors. She is even doing split-jobs (regular hospital doctor + medical care center doctor at once).

I just watched a doc on MMA fighter Ronda Rousey, and she was doing all these photo shoots and everyone was going on about how beautiful she was, and her challenger Sarah Kaufman was getting really pissed off about it. Understandably so. There was all this jawing about how she maybe was being pushed up the ranks on her looks. I don't think GSP or Jon Jones ever have to think if they're more or less handsome than their opponent in the octagon.
It goes beyond looks here and to personality. I'd rather watch paint dry over watching an interview with her. Her personality is the opposite of compelling. And then you look at her fighting style. With the exception of her last couple fights (the one she had before the Rousey fight stole the whole show IMO), she is usually a boring wet blanket type of fighter a la Jon Fitch. Fitch wins most of his fights but is also boring as fuck and no one says it's because he's ugly. Also, Georges St Pierre has a disproportionate amount of women in his fanbase that like him solely because of his appearance. I've encountered these fans first hand in Vegas on numerous occasions.

Ronda not only is attractive but she is a former Olympian and has finished all of her opponents via armbar in the first round even though they know to expect it. That's pretty spectacular. Also, she is much more engaging in her interviews.

mf.luder

This topic is why I agree with that father who modified Zelda to make it a female hero rather than a male hero. Paradigm shift.

Men face these body issues too, but the difference is that a man can be successful and not handsome. For a woman, no matter if you're the best in the world, or the most powerful, you need to be attractive on top of it. Look at all the bullshit someone like Sarah Jessica Parker has to go through, while Philip Seymore Hoffman gets a pass for his looks.

Well when you're GSP you automatically know you're better looking than 99% of the men in the world.

Heel

It goes beyond looks here and to personality. I'd rather watch paint dry over watching an interview with her. Her personality is the opposite of compelling. And then you look at her fighting style. With the exception of her last couple fights (the one she had before the Rousey fight stole the whole show IMO), she is usually a boring wet blanket type of fighter a la Jon Fitch. Fitch wins most of his fights but is also boring as fuck and no one says it's because he's ugly. Also, Georges St Pierre has a disproportionate amount of women in his fanbase that like him solely because of his appearance. I've encountered these fans first hand in Vegas on numerous occasions.

Ronda not only is attractive but she is a former Olympian and has finished all of her opponents via armbar in the first round even though they know to expect it. That's pretty spectacular. Also, she is much more engaging in her interviews.

I don't think women are rising up the ranks in MMA based on looks (Sarah Kaufman, Liz Carmouche), but I do think it's gotten to where it has today thanks to the public at large embracing hot women that can kick ass (Gina Carano, Ronda Rousey).

It's pretty clear that WMMA was dead in the water with Cyborg as its face. Sad but true.

You must not follow MMA, Jon Jones gets a lot of shit from both opponents, fans and even the president of the company Dana White over how beautiful he is. Jealousy isn't exclusive to women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom