• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uh, is there a reason why Nintendo stock just jumped 700 yen to 15,020 yen per share?

hal9001

Banned
1DPppaP.jpg

Would this info be available to shareholders? Or would that be considered insider trading as well?

No. NPD releases to all clients (ranging from investment banking firms to Sony / Nintendo of America) on January 16th.

Presumably Nintendo of America makes sell-through estimates, but those aren't shared outside of the company.

Jomjom

Banned
Diehard Nintendo fans in their effort to support Nintendo skipped buying the Wii U and went straight to buying Nintendo's stock en masse?

Tenki

We haven't found out yet. We know that, as of December 25th, Yamauchi is officially no longer the owner of the stock due to "inheritances," so presumably Arakawa has shares.

But, Nintendo may want to initiate a share buyback...that's probably under discussion at the moment.

A share buyback for Yamauchi's only or for all shares? I mean, shares from every shareholder.

Banned
Most likely the investors got the worldwide hardware and software sales data for the Wii U and 3DS over the holidays and have seen it before us and they are impressed.

Or Nintendo revealed to them that the Wii U is a portable bunker capable of surviving all types of doom and destruction.

China opening up for foreign console sales?

Or that.

China opening up for foreign console sales?

This could be a factor, I think. Of the big 3, Nintendo is probably the best positioned to immediately enter the Chinese market with a current-gen console. Microsoft and Sony, who have yet to release their new consoles in Japan, aren't really in a manufacturing position where that'd be plausible for them to do with XBOne or PS4, so they'd be playing catch-up. Best they could do would be to dump 360's and PS3's into the market, but that's not going to be looked at favourably without Chinese language translations of their games. By contrast, Nintendo has a number of big franchises like Mario which would require only minimal translation to be released.

Takuhi

Japanese news report say it's because of China opening up its market to console sales.

Pretty much the entire industry is up on the news, with Nintendo enjoying the highest gains.

delta25

Banned
Nintendo VR with a new Metroid prime and full support for previous prime games all HD upgraded.

MEGA- FUCKING-TON!!!

China lifted the ban on foreign consoles.

Edit: totally beaten.

Also the Nikkei is up as a whole, and there could have been some leakage of sales info.

Remember the SEC has no jurisdiction over foreign companies (on foreign exchanges) so while I'm sure they have their own rules against insider trading and publicizing leaked material information I'm also sure they are different than the U.S.'s.

zeldablue

Probably merged splits, opposite from a share split. Increases value, less shares on market.

(Oh fuck makes no sense. Thought it was originally at 700 yen share. Whoops).
I said the same thing, hahaha.

Maybe they really like A Link Between Worlds?

hongcha

It'll be interesting to see if the stock keeps rising or if it's just a temporary blip. It will probably depend on hardware sales over the next weeks and any major announcements by the end of the month.

Still a far cry from April 2010 when their stock was 32,000 yen, or November 2007 when it was over 70,500 yen. I feel bad for those who bought it at that price.

coldone

Target helped them sell a extra million more 3DS with 10% coupon after the card hack. lot of folks got 3DS-XL for $129 (extra 5% off for RED CARD).

I have a feeling 3DS did very well during this holiday season. Street pass galore every where. Pokemon was sold out in retail stores.

This sounds like a likely explanation. Hasn't Nintendo done well with their iQue line in China? And now they can launch their global line of handhelds and consoles there? That's kind of big. It's an absolutely huge market if you can get even a tiny bit of marketshare in China.

Not very well...I've been to China and I can tell you first-hand that unauthorized sales of bootlegs / pirated software is RAMPANT.

Legal sales of new video games at real prices don't have nearly the same pull in China as they do in Japan / Western countries.

Spaghetti

people assuming this is on the back of some secret game are fucking desperate

it's obviously on the back of our upcoming cranky kong armageddon

Top Bottom