• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
But with respect you've just created a thread and piled info dump after info dump after info dump into it and used the information to imply what could be possible with it despite the chances of it being accurately applied being .1%

I could created a thread with 300 accurate biological and sociological reasons of how I've had the capabilities since 2013 to have a threesome with Emily Blunt and Margot Robbie, but I'd expect to be shot down by those with realistic expectation.

There's no information in any of the posts though. It ranges from, at best, misinterpretation but mostly it's just complete fabrication. It's more like the Chewbacca defence, just spout nonsense in the hope of confusing people into accepting your conclusion. If they don't understand what you wrote, maybe they'll just assume you're right.

Gradly

I've been following this thread for so long but things are becoming very annoying at this point. As I said earlier, both Sony and Microsoft have moved on and no way they will enable some hidden gems (if any) in their "now old" consoles

But with respect you've just created a thread and piled info dump after info dump after info dump into it and used the information to imply what could be possible with it despite the chances of it being accurately applied being .1%

I could created a thread with 300 accurate biological and sociological reasons of how I've had the capabilities since 2013 to have a threesome with Emily Blunt and Margot Robbie, but I'd expect to be shot down by those with realistic expectation.
But it would be a very popular thread <grin>.

So the entire point of this thread then?
Give it up mate, it's embarassing.

I honestly don't know what's more embarrassing, that one guy is delusional or that one other guy goes through his post history just to point out that he's incoherent.
Newsflash: we already knew that.

I honestly don't know what's more embarrassing, that one guy is delusional or that one other guy goes through his post history just to point out that he's incoherent.
While it definitely shows that I have too much time on my hands, I only did that because false accusations were thrown my way. I was content to leave things where they were prior to that. You're very much right that it's pointless since Jeff is beyond reach.

Newsflash: we already knew that.

Not everyone on this forum knows Jeff is wrong -- at one point, he had a large fan base. Say what you want about Jeff, but he knows how to develop a cult of personality. People aren't being hyperbolic when they say Jeff will disappear and wait for a new wave of juniors.

Jeff pops up and makes some claims. He gets a group of people to believe him and they defend him when people try to disprove his claims. After thoroughly being proven wrong, most of his fans are gone so Jeff disappears. After people have been banned or moved on, Jeff reappears and repeats the cycle.

If for no other reason, we need Adam's posts so we have something to point to when Jeff tries this again.

warheat

Not everyone on this forum knows Jeff is wrong -- at one point, he had a large fan base. Say what you want about Jeff, but he knows how to develop a cult of personality. People aren't being hyperbolic when they say Jeff will disappear and wait for a new wave of juniors.

Jeff pops up and makes some claims. He gets a group of people to believe him and they defend him when people try to disprove his claims. After thoroughly being proven wrong, most of his fans are gone so Jeff disappears. After people have been banned or moved on, Jeff reappears and repeats the cycle.

If for no other reason, we need Adam's posts so we have something to point to when Jeff tries this again.

That would be me, when the first time Neo rumor got spread around this forum. I saw Jeff throwing heavy stuff left and right in the thread and I actually believed the guy know his shit.

JeffG

That would be me, when the first time Neo rumor got spread around this forum. I saw Jeff throwing heavy stuff left and right in the thread and I actually believed the guy know his shit.

Baffle with Bullshit

Unfortunately you see it a lot in the IT industry.

PS4 2013 (Labeled UHD capable in efficientgaming.eu but may not be, will find out with Firmware 4.0)
PS4 2015 (upgraded Southbridge) (labeled UHD Capable in efficientgaming.eu but but may not be, will find out with firmware 4.0)
PS4 2016 NEO (confirmed UHD Capable)
PS4 2016 "Slim" (rumor but could use the same southbridge NEO uses )
PS4 2019 10nm Navi (in efficientgaming.eu as 2019 navigation power cap drop)

Where are the various PS4's on the following roadmap? True Audio Xtensa DSP HiFi can I think support 2017-2022 Object based audio and is in all 2013 and later game consoles and AMD GCN 1.2 (2014) and later dGPUs as well as Kaveri and Carrizo. Main use now is for Virtual Reality (Positional audio). 2014 GCN 1.2 dGPUs do have UVD 6 and VCE 3 which support the 2014 position in the chart.

HDR (High Dynamic range) in TVs is fixed while in the source, HDR is software in the TEE and update-able.
Framerate and color depth in a source may be a function of a HEVC codec without hardware acceleration having difficulty (more expensive) supporting higher bandwidth UHD media.
Color gamut in a source is not an issue.

Roadmap-to-next-generation-TV.jpg

2013 XB1 has HDMI 1.4a with HEVC 10 bit for HD media which straddles the 2012-2014 lines. (Labeled UHD capable and HD capable in various letters.... confusion! Chart shows it was possible to support UHD in 2013 but now confirmed HD capable only by Albert Penello of Microsoft)
2016 XB1 Slim (confirmed UHD Capable)
2017 XB1 Scorpio

Microsoft will still have to support HDCP 2.2 in the 2013 XB1 for Miracast and Vidipath.

http://www.synopsys.com/IP/security-ip/content-protection/Pages/default.aspx said:
Synopsys offers a comprehensive portfolio of end-to-end, complete security for Trusted Execution Environments (TEE) or non-TEE environments including content protection solutions for HDCP 2.2 used in Miracast&#8482;, HDMI and DisplayPort applications, and DTCP-IP (CVP-2) for VidiPath/DLNA-enabled devices.
Support for HDCP 2.2 is required for 1080P media Miracast and Vidipath/DLNA commercial media. Vidipath is in home media sharing over the home network using HTML5 for the UI, DLNA and Microsoft's Playready and WMDRM (720P or lower res) or Playready ND (1080P or higher res) for DTCP-IP.

In UHD capable consoles, the same HDCP 2.2 (2012) routine running in the TEE is used for HDMI (Mapped to the HDMI chip Feb 2013) with a HDMI chip that passes HDCP negotiations to the TEE. Sony lists Playready and WMDRM so they are supporting Vidipath and HDCP 2.2. Vidipath and Miracast are tied together in every paper I've read. Playready ND papers from Microsoft mention game consoles using it (1080P and higher resolution Vidpath).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PS4`s 4.00 update details are out. How`s that bet going?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263297

It stands to reason that UHD BD support would have been mentioned as a key feature if it were present, but if he'd rather try his luck and let the clock hit zero first (there'll be more firmware updates throughout the rest of the year, I'm sure), then it's no skin off my nose.

(And once again, to be perfectly clear, this is a charity bet.)

SgtCobra

Gotta love how jeff's posts get under people's skin, he really knows how to hit the nerve of some posters here. Do your thing jeff, I'm just here to see how everyone loses their minds while you post yet another long ass post with stuff only you'll understand.

Gotta love how jeff's posts get under people's skin, he really knows how to hit the nerve of some posters here. Do your thing jeff, I'm just here to see how everyone loses their minds while you post yet another long ass post with stuff only you'll understand.

Don't be so sure.

Nictel

PS4`s 4.00 update details are out. How`s that bet going?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263297

Firmware update 4.44 is the ONE.

For one reason or another I decided to read some of the papers, came around to this golden nugget:

Ultra High Definition Console: Game Consoles having potential of rendering video output with resolutions greater or equal to 4Kx2K (3840 pixels x 2160) in addition to capability defined for High Definition Console.

And yes the Xbox One and PS4 are capable of that with their 1.4 HMDI at 24fps and 8bit colors. Do you want that? Probably not.

No he's just a crazy old guy. Nobody's loosing his nerves here.

Also I'm just sad for him... it's not like he's 20 so why acting like this?!? (maybe everyone around him already left like wife and kids?).

It's ok Jeff you'll be fine. Go see a doctor and don't hurt yourself.

tuxfool

Banned

The problem isn't people not understanding his technical diarrhoea. It is that it is diarrhoea.

Ombala

It's because he keeps stating he's crazy theories like facts and never admit wrong.

SgtCobra

Don't be so sure.
The problem isn't people not understanding his technical diarrhoea. It is that it is diarrhoea.
lol

Chû Totoro;213690555 said:
It's because he keeps stating he's crazy theories like facts and never admit wrong.
People are trying to have a discussion with him which is like talking to a wall. I don't know why they're even bothering, you're just wasting your time by doing that. He's been doing this since the early PS3 Slim days iirc, it's pretty entertaining but taking anything he says at face value is foolish.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I can't get the controller button sequence right to enable Ultra HD Blu-Ray playback with firmware 4.0 on PS4. Is it O-O-O-&#9633;-&#9633;-&#9633;-X-X-X and then hold down on both sticks? Does it matter how long between button presses?

Just joshin'!

farmerboy

Chû Totoro;213690555 said:

Also I'm just sad for him... it's not like he's 20 so why acting like this?!? (maybe everyone around him already left like wife and kids?).

It's ok Jeff you'll be fine. Go see a doctor and don't hurt yourself.

That's just being needlessly mean.

I can't get the controller button sequence right to enable Ultra HD Blu-Ray playback with firmware 4.0 on PS4. Is it O-O-O-&#9633;-&#9633;-&#9633;-X-X-X and then hold down on both sticks? Does it matter how long between button presses?

Just joshin'!

Nah man. Try the Konami code. ;-)

NeOak

Just joshin'!

Isn't it going to be enabled with the Official Sony PS4 BT remote?

Why do I find some of my posts echo developer posts if I am so wrong?

This post is my understanding of the TEE needs for a standard before Googling the Windows 10 update features..

Also a standard for public Key pairing then private key pairing routines with encryption that is unique to the platform, all in the TEE. A Embedded OS similar to that described for Gnome Mobile where nearly the entire OS is always loaded in memory and everything calls those routines which remain in place and only working memory/registers move in memory. This couldn't be secure until Trusted boot and all the OS routines finished.

We can speculate that the PS4 Media player and third party APPS are almost entirely self contained (look at their size which is also likely padded for security to hide critical routines and padding will not be needed after Playready embedded is available) and will continue to work after Firmware 4.0. They will probably be replaced on a schedule to not overload servers with every app being replaced at the same time. Certain apps are closely tied to the PS4 OS like DLNA and ooVoo as described and probably part of the OS update.

Then this post of mine after reading what's coming with the Windows 10 August 2 update echos this post of a XB1 developer predicting the E3 announcement of UHD support for the XB1.

This applies to HDCP 2.2 which is needed by Miracast and 1080P or higher resolution Vidipath which will be in all 2013 and later game consoles and likely the PS3 as it is getting a Playready embedded port.

Kyoufu

I don't really get the point of all this. If PS4 was capable of playing UHD Blu Ray content then Sony would have shouted it from the rooftops. You do know they're in the UHDTV business as well right? Why wouldn't they have used their best product to push their TVs?

Why do I find some of my posts echo developer posts if I am so wrong?
How many developer posts echo that:

(1) the optical drives in the launch PS4 and Xbox One can be updated via firmware to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs? (spoiler: 0)

(2) that these launch consoles can be updated via firmware to support HDMI and HDCP upgrades? (spoiler: 0)

(3) that these launch consoles have the muscle to decode UHD BD-grade HEVC encodes? (spoiler: 0)

(4) that Sony and Microsoft are paid by services like Netflix per individual stream? (spoiler: 0)

(5) all the other nonsense you clearly don't understand, spouted off as fact, and were entirely incorrect about? (spoiler: 0)

You absolutely, demonstrably are "so wrong".

onken

I don't really get the point of all this. If PS4 was capable of playing UHD Blu Ray content then Sony would have shouted it from the rooftops. You do know they're in the UHDTV business as well right? Why wouldn't they have used their best product to push their TVs?

Indeed. When I bought my 4K TV I got ready to bust out some 4K footage and then I realized PS4 didn't support it at all, not even for the media player app! Lucky my TV has the 4K Netflix app built in..

Indeed. When I bought my 4K TV I got ready to bust out some 4K footage and then I realized PS4 didn't support it at all, not even for the media player app! Lucky my TV has the 4K Netflix app built in..

Same here, my 4k content is coming from Netflix and Amazon right now, till Virgin step up with the Tivo box and I guess the Neo releases.

Unless Jeff was right all along and I can keep the PS4

How many developer posts echo that:
Typical, you ignore posts that give a basic understanding of the DRM and features that are coming. (2) below is the point of my post.

(2) that these launch consoles can be updated via firmware to support HDMI and HDCP upgrades? (spoiler: 0)
PS4 and XB1 launch consoles will be upgraded to support HDCP 2.2 and that requires TMP 2.0 which was published middle of 2015. A HDMI 2 transmitter has HDCP 2.2 in the TEE and the HDMI chip just passes HDCP negotiation to the TEE. Point of this is that it is easy for the game consoles to support HDMI 2 with firmware update if the HDMI chip supported the timings which were known in advance. This was my point and it's still valid. I was perhaps condescending after explaining 10 times HDCP 2.2 is in the TEE not the HDMI chip and the above. Note: the PS4 has a custom HDMI chip and we still don't know why...it is still possible it supports HDMI 2 timing and passes HDCP negotiation to the TEE.

(3) that these launch consoles have the muscle to decode UHD BD-grade HEVC encodes? (spoiler: 0)
Talk about moving the goalposts; You or others argued the HEVC "hardware" codec was not available when the console was launched so it can't support HEVC. I started by stating that the HEVC decoder codec would use Xtensa blocks and would be a software codec with hardware accelerator (Xtensa DSP) as that was what AMD used for the UVD. This is still valid.

Since you framed the argument that it was not possible to support HEVC without a hardware codec which was not available in 2013, I started pointing to the June 2015 XB1 update with HEVC profile 10 for HD media and slides from AMD for game streaming using HEVC which had to be a VCE 3 hardware codec. Both which proved that the HEVC profile 10 codec could be supported for HD media which would be the same for UHD media but requiring more processing power which then became your argument. This may be a valid reason (cost or latency) for not supporting UHD media till hardware accelerator blocks were available. Point is that it was possible to support HEVC for UHD media in the launch consoles, this is still valid.

For the blu-ray drive, reading the three layer disk with reduced mark length is possible for 2011 and later BD-RE drives. Penello says the XB1 Slim drive has a new Lens to support this unless my memory fails me again. It is possible that the Numerical aperture (NA) was changed slightly to make it more reliable. For Androvsky, I reread the BDA whitepaper and the layers above and between the data layers are part of the optical path. The laser focus is offset slightly so that the clear cover helps focus the dot on the data layer underneath. The layers between data layers does the same for each lower layer. Since 2 layer standard disks have to be read the NA of the lens can't change much as the thickness of the clear layers is chosen as part of the optical path. The DSP chip still has to filter out data as noise coming from the layers the light shines through and timing is part of that. I was wrong about where the dot does focus.

Typical, you ignore posts that give a basic understanding of the DRM and features that are coming.
...except they aren't, at least not to the launch consoles.

PS4 and XB1 launch consoles will be upgraded to support HDCP 2.2 and that requires TMP 2.0 which was published middle of 2015. A HDMI 2 transmitter has HDCP 2.2 in the TEE and the HDMI chip just passes HDCP negotiation to the TEE. Point of this is that it is easy for the game consoles to support HDMI 2 with firmware update if the HDMI chip supported the timings which were known in advance. This was my point and it's still valid.
Not according to AMD, at least for the Xbox One. Everything I've read says that HDCP 2.2 requires at least HDMI 2.0, and since an upgrade from HDMI 1.4a to 2.0 is not possible, that'd mean no dice for the launch Xbox One or the PS3 (since you think a ten year old console has so much life ahead of it).

Talk about moving the goalposts; You or others argued the HEVC "hardware" codec was not available when the console was launched so it can't support HEVC.
No, that's not what was said. You failed to understand and continue to fail to understand that not all things HEVC are created equal. Being able to decode certain types of HEVC video does not mean all manner of HEVC video can be decoded (at least not while maintaining the desired level of playback).

I started by stating that the HEVC decoder codec would use Xtensa blocks and would be a software codec with hardware accelerator (Xtensa DSP) as that was what AMD used for the UVD. This is still valid.
We know it's not valid because people who actually work with this technology and know what they're talking about have unambiguously said so.

I started pointing to the June 2015 XB1 update with HEVC profile 10 for HD media
HD != UHD

and slides from AMD for game streaming using HEVC which had to be a VCE 3 hardware codec.
The slides are astonishingly vague, make no reference to the launch Xbox One, and this is functionality that still does not actually exist. Streaming from the Xbox One is accomplished via AVC. The slides prove nothing.

...except they aren't, at least not to the launch consoles.

No, that's not what was said. You failed to understand and continue to fail to understand that not all things HEVC are created equal. Being able to decode certain types of HEVC video does not mean all manner of HEVC video can be decoded (at least not while maintaining the desired level of playback).
Adam, the 2013 XB1 supports HEVC profile 10 for HD media. That means it is decoding 8 bit media with a 10 bit codec which is less efficient. It is doing this because Netflix will be encoding HD media with Profile 10 because ALL media will use the same codec even if HD 8 bit. The same codec, the same codec, the same codec.......Yes, UHD media will have 4 times the bitrate and need more hardware processing power but the codec is the same!

The slides are astonishingly vague, make no reference to the launch Xbox One, and this is functionality that still does not actually exist. Streaming from the Xbox One is accomplished via AVC. The slides prove nothing.
You could be correct about the slides mentioning HEVC encode for game streaming...or not, time will tell. There is so much confusion caused by the new "Apple" refresh model they are following that could have impacted early 2013 statements as you stated.

The Sony CTO and a VP in 2012 were both mentioning hardware coming for the PS4 and industry reporters were using that as part of their statement that the PS4 would be using HBM memory. Turns out that the 2017 XB1 will use HBM and the 2019 PS4 3D stacked memory of a different type. Still a PS4 for three GPU families from 2013 to 2019 so the CTO interview covers the PS4 and accessories. It would be interesting to re-read that CTO interview with what we now know. http://mandetech.com/2012/01/10/sony-masaaki-tsuruta-interview/

Masaaki Tsuruta, CTO of Sony Computer Entertainment, says that the company is working on a system-on-chip (SoC) to underpin the product for "seven to 10 years". [2013, 2015, 2016, 2019+ with underpin I now take to mean similar and following the Apple model]

He describes the architecture in broad terms: "You are talking about powerful CPU and GPU with extra DSP and programmable logic." [Xtensa DSP]

This, and Sony's target of no more than 50ms latency even for 8k x 4k resolution at 300fps, clearly points to the need for a highly integrated TSV-based package - and so far TSV has stuttered in manufacturing for anything other than the stacking of like-on-like, typically memories. [ 2019 Navi for 8K with stacked memory]

That's just being needlessly mean.

That's because I now know who he is and seriously I don't understand why he's doing such crazy things. But yeah I'm sorry if he felt insulted (even if for me my post is not a direct insult and I've never wished anything bad to him...)
I'm just questioning myself. Why people are acting crazy like this when they don't seem insane at all on a first impression?

That's why I said this... I see him like this in my mind (except with electronics pieces of HW everywhere instead of cats)

crazy-cat-lady-color.jpg

And even if by miracle (yeah we need a miracle here) there would be little bit of truth in his UHD Blu-Ray claims I would eat crow but still be sad for the guy...

If he's happy and ok, perfect then, he's just another Internet troll :p

The same codec, the same codec, the same codec.......Yes, UHD media will have 4 times the bitrate and need more hardware processing power but the codec is the same!
No "will". HEVC-encoded UHD is a thing right now now. As far as digital delivery to consumers goes, it's been a thing for more than two years now. As far as optical media goes, we're almost six months into UHD BD. If a decoder can't handle that amount of data, then saying "but it's the same codec!" is academic masturbation.

It's muddier since you and I use "codec" in two completely different ways.

No "will". HEVC-encoded UHD is a thing right now now. As far as digital delivery to consumers goes, it's been a thing for more than two years now. As far as optical media goes, we're almost six months into UHD BD. If a decoder can't handle that amount of data, then saying "but it's the same codec!" is academic masturbation.

It's muddier since you and I use "codec" in two completely different ways.
I use codec as in Universal Video Codec (UVD) which the developer tweet says the XB1 is using. Universal means it's software based with hardware accelerators which can be a vanilla Xtensa DSP block or one with dedicated special function blocks for HEVC which can also be used by other codecs thus the name Universal Video codec.

http://mandetech.com/2012/01/10/sony-masaaki-tsuruta-interview/ said:
He describes the architecture in broad terms: "You are talking about powerful CPU and GPU with extra DSP and programmable logic." [Xtensa DSP]
Xtensa DSP is used for codecs (UVD) and vision processing as they have many common elements. OpenVX uses the Xtensa DSP as low power accelerators to augment openCV as they are up to 100X as efficient as a CPU or GPU used for OpenCV.

Chû Totoro;213818517 said:
That's because I now know who he is and seriously I don't understand why he's doing such crazy things. But yeah I'm sorry if he felt insulted (even if for me my post is not a direct insult and I've never wished anything bad to him...)
I'm just questioning myself. Why people are acting crazy like this when they don't seem insane at all on a first impression?

And even if by miracle (yeah we need a miracle here) there would be little bit of truth in his UHD Blu-Ray claims I would eat crow but still be sad for the guy...

If he's happy and ok, perfect then, he's just another Internet troll :p
I use the research and reading to target investments so what I pass on to the threads is making me money. I have doubled my 3 year old investment this year and I expect another 50% at a minimum by 2017. Depending on China another 100% by 2019.

Nictel

When is a good point in time to know 100% either way? When Neo/Scorpio come out? When official support for PS4/XBONE is dropped? The end of Unixtime?

The same codec, the same codec, the same codec.......Yes, UHD media will have 4 times the bitrate and need more hardware processing power but the codec is the same!

I use codec as in Universal Video Codec (UVD) which the developer tweet says the XB1 is using.
I mean, there's not one thing called "UVD". AMD versions it, and we already know that the launch PS4 and Xbox One don't have one that can handle UHD BD-grade HEVC encodes. UVD also hasn't meant "Universal Video Decoder" in years.

When you say "the same codec, the same codec, the same codec" -- if you mean the same method of decoding HEVC video, you're completely incorrect. This has been verified by several sources at Microsoft and Sony already in this thread.

When is a good point in time to know 100% either way? When Neo/Scorpio come out? When official support for PS4/XBONE is dropped? The end of Unixtime?
As far as Ultra HD Blu-ray support goes for the launch PS4 and Xbox One, we've had multiple statements from folks at Microsoft and one from Sony that it's not possible.

Top Bottom