• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: AC Syndicate launch lowest of any AC except Rogue

Podge293

not surprised with this in the least, i barely heard about the game until it launched, and even then only reason i know it launched was the reviews popped up.... seems like the game had little push behind it

also there is the whole amount of days on sale difference

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
What AC needs again is an overarching story to make it more intersting again. I don't know why Ubisoft keeps shuffing out entires that have barely any connection to each other.

Man the franchise fatigue finally seems to maybe hitting mainstream.

And AC ain't no COD with multiplayer to fall back on.

Sure the game is reviewing ok but I think the formula is now passable for some customers considering the other games widely available this Xmas.

Sojgat

That'll happen when you drop unfinished garbage like Unity on your fans.

Syndicate is actually quite good, but I find it hard to feel bad that it's selling poorly.

DryvBy

Sad because this is my 3rd favorite one. I'm not a fanboy of this series at all (I disliked most of them). Oh well. Maybe they'll take a break and put a better Watch Dogs out and then focus some attention on pirate games.

KJRS_1993

I think the fact that other games in the series had data for six days tracked, and Syndicate had three days renders this entire statistic utterly redundant, and absolutely stupid to use in an article.

I don't doubt that it will be the worst one selling for a time, but this is so stupid.

Alo0oy

Banned
Also worth mentioning is the fact Ubisoft released Syndicate on a Friday, meaning just three days worth of sales were counted to today's chart placing. Unity launched on a Tuesday, giving it six days worth of sales

Lets wait for the other 3 days, silly to compare sales of 3 days to 6 days

It probably affected the chart a tiny little bit, but that won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, unless it sold just 1k units less than black flag. & even if it did, that would still be significantly less than the other ACs.

Busty

Banned
While there were some TV adverts for the game here in the UK it just feels like Ubisoft have 'phoned in' everything about this game.

This seems all the more puzzling given that the Assassins Creed film is launching next Xmas and they should really be doing more to keep their IP amongst the 'AAA' game franchises rather than half heartedly just pushing it out into the market.

Hasney

I think the fact that other games in the series had data for six days tracked, and Syndicate had three days renders this entire statistic utterly redundant, and absolutely stupid to use in an article.

I don't doubt that it will be the worst one selling for a time, but this is so stupid.

Not really. For numbers we know, there's rarely any massive changes in sales figures between Tuesday and Friday releases. It's just so front loaded.

Wow, even in the UK ? Of all the places I thought this would at least launch good was UK...

Hahah, this made me laugh. I see how you looked at it, but I'm not really sure people react that way, kind of the opposite actually. I always gravitate towards the most exotic place that is the far flung opposite of where I actually live. The industrial revolution is interesting in a historical aspect and victorian london has loads of potential but not because I live in Britain haha.

If this is how a London-based game performs in the UK, then I can't wait to see how it fares in the NPD charts. I think certain territories are going to be really cold towards this entry, at least in comparison to previous AssCreed games. The strain is starting to show.

Victorian London is such a heavily trodden setting I'm not sure it's even a big draw to a uk audience. Might do better in USA where there must be a few who think London is still like that.

$h@d0w

I'm seriously disappointed that the most inclusive AC is also one of the lowest selling.

Tells you a lot about the state of the industry.

El-Suave

Not really. For numbers we know, there's rarely any massive changes in sales figures between Tuesday and Friday releases. It's just so front loaded.

Yeah, but then you have lots of people saying "I didn't know it was out yet!", even here on GAF. That would work against the front loadedness.

Now you know why you're never getting another Grand Theft Auto set in London.
Any sales excluding digital sales are just numbers without context or meaning these days.
Sure I'm going to pay £55 for a digital version of a game I can pick up for at least £10 less literally anywhere. They're a non issue on console.

Hasney

Yeah, but then you have lots of people saying "I didn't know it was out yet!", even here on GAF. That would work against the front loadedness.

Heh, that ones true. I'm not sure if it has its own TV ad, but I've seen the overall PS4 one a lot that mentions it... And no release date.

Compare that to Fallout 4 and that ad is basically just the release date.

How close are Ubi coming to pushing the big red panic button labeled "FEUDAL JAPAN".

Any sales excluding digital sales are just numbers without context or meaning these days.

Retail is still king my friend.

Largely most sales occur this way with digital taking 10-20% at best in developed markets.

Digital sales won't change the outlook we have any significant amount for Syndicate.

From uk and no one seems to care about the game. Even friends who buy them all were either unaware or just didn't feel like buying it. Personally bloodborne had a similar setting to syndicate but had a much more unique atmosphere which drained the old London appeal.

Hasney

How close are Ubi coming to pushing the big red panic button labeled "FEUDAL JAPAN".

Retail is still king my friend.

Largely most sales occur this way with digital taking 10-20% at best in developed markets.

Digital sales won't change the outlook we have any significant amount for Syndicate.

Yeah, although if we knew how close it was to Black Flag Week 1, it might not be the "worst selling".

I don't think UK sales even including digital would be much bigger in terms of consoles. I'd like to think people aren't stupid enough to spend quite a bit more for digital new releases.

OP, why didn't you bother to put in the title that it is the #1 selling game in the UK after only being available for 3 days? After all, that IS what the original title of the article is aimed at.

===

The game still outsold FIFA 16, Uncharted, GTA V, Destiny..... I'd say that's still a pretty good accomplishment, especially for a "bull which has been milked dry".

TIL making a profit = dying franchise. Investors don't care as long as a profit is being made and AC games make profit.

Most games are released on a Friday here. If a AAA release doesn't hit number 1 with no competition, it's a massive failure. For context, FIFA only sold just over 50k this week.

Yeah, although if we knew how close it was to Black Flag Week 1, it might not be the "worst selling".

I don't think UK sales even including digital would be much bigger in terms of consoles. I'd like to think people aren't stupid enough to spend quite a bit more for digital new releases.

especially since the UK has some of the worst digital pricing on consoles

Duster

I'm pretty sure I saw an advert for this where the main characters were complaining about capitalism, for some reason that makes this thread mildly amusing to me.

AHA-Lambda

I'm seriously disappointed that the most inclusive AC is also one of the lowest selling.

Tells you a lot about the state of the industry.

No it doesn't, you're assuming those 2 are related.

OP, why didn't you bother to put in the title that it is the #1 selling game in the UK after only being available for 3 days? After all, that IS what the original title of the article is aimed at.

===

Cos it's frankly irrelevant. Big new AAA release reaches number 1 in the charts, stop the presses guys!

patapuf

===

The game still outsold FIFA 16, Uncharted, GTA V, Destiny..... I'd say that's still a pretty good accomplishment, especially for a "bull which has been milked dry".

TIL making a profit = dying franchise. Investors don't care as long as a profit is being made and AC games make profit.

investors care about growth and declining sales make investors very unhappy.

Making a profit is cool and all but you are much more interesting to investors if you are growing than if you are merely making a profit.

danmaku

What AC needs again is an overarching story to make it more intersting again. I don't know why Ubisoft keeps shuffing out entires that have barely any connection to each other.

Because back then everyone was complaining about the modern day story and they just wanted the historical tourism part.

===

Maybe you have a little understanding of retail market for games. ACS was a brand new annual AAA game releasing by itself so anyone could have called it being No1 for the week.

I don't mind buying digital at release if it's a game I'll want long term like a MGS V, Destiny or Uncharted 4 next year. I'm sure there's a few others like myself, or else who is contributing to the monthly PSN charts :p

Dabanton

The whole franchise needs a years break and a complete revamp. But Ubi will never do that.

I can't even raise a hint of excitement for another AC game. Black Flag was the last one I played and that was imo the best AC game since ACII simply because it actually took a few risks.

Shit...so, what do they do next? Incrementally improving on syndicate and unity isn't going to work, changing up the location doesn't seem to be enough (London is the best location since Rome imo) how do they actually right the ship at this stage? Top to bottom mechanical overhaul? Remake AC2? Let the series go away for a while?

Alo0oy

Banned

===

Yes, but this week is Assassin's Creed debut week, the other games are in their third/fourth/fifth...etc week, selling better than a game in its third week is not an accomplishment for a franchise of this caliber, maybe if it was a niche Japanese game, but not AC.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The hype for this one has been so non-existent, this isn't surprising. Or shouldn't be, rather. A shame, it sounds like there are some improvements that make it a better game than Unity, though still unlikely to change anyone's mind on the series.

Shredderi

I fully expected and partially hoped for this. I want them to feel like they really should do some reinventing of their AC formula.

Top Bottom