• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Crackdown 3 Sales are WAY Down - Only 10% of Crackdown 2 Sales (exc. PC, gamepass, digital)

At this point with game pass involved we will never know the real picture and MS PR will eventually come with a positive spin. Tons of ppl will dl it on game pass but tht won't mean shit.

It will be good to see how many new subscribers joined at Crackdown launch and because gamepass is so cheap but also to know the drop off or gain the next month. I like stats like that.
It's good for Microsoft though as they don't have to give actual sales numbers. They can give a positive spin on almost anything launching on Game Pass.
The problem with new subscriber numbers is that in the case of Crackdown 3 there's a 2 Months for $2 sale I believe which will bring in a lot of people and placed right near Crackdown 3 launch.

That being said Crackdown 3 was almost always going to flop, and after watching the GB Quick look there's good reason behind it. Gameplay looks simplistic (not in a good way), mission structure seems boring, and the game is hideous. Having not played it myself I don't have a personal judge on the fun factor but it doesn't look good.

I wouldn’t put too much weight into uk retail as digital has shown to make up to 50% of sales. Then considering gamespass... and then considering this game looks like leftovers from the Mountain Dew era of gaming.

No one is gonna care about this game... ever
I mean that does include mobile and all those digital only indies as well, and we also get information like this too.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-02-uk-video-games-market-is-now-80-percent-digital
"UK video games market is now 80% digital
However, 75% of AAA game sales are physical"
Granted it's a estimation based on one of the UK's biggest seller, but I see similar results other times on the physical version of a major game vs. the digital version when they pop-up for the UK, so who knows. Regardless, double 4000 would still be 8000, oof. As long as they get those gamepass download numbers.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Only 10% of Crackdown 2 ? Holy crap

total failure man......

Wont surprised me if they decided to close the studio....

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It wouldn't blow up the charts, but also of course gamepass didn't help there either.

On the other hand, I'm glad it's on gamepass :D

Airbus Jr

Banned
4000 copy sold on opening days on Xbox second strongest market is terible

If its a movie you can say its a big box office flop

Feels bad for my man Terry Crews

Last edited:
That's literally based upon one game, Fifa. I wouldn't put too much or really any stock into that article.
True, but we also have tons of digital only games to factor in as well in the digital comparisons, mobile games too. Would be nice if we could get breakdowns on physical version vs. digital version of games. Usually when we do they heavily favor the physical version, but these breakdowns are rare.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I wonder what makes MS decided to cancel Scalebound and approve this game ?

Scalebound looks million time better than this game dude, im genuinely excited for that game

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Here is the start of my gaming year:

Dragon Quest IX, Soul Calibur VI, DBFZ, Forza Horizon 4, BLOPS4, R6 Siege, Crash Trilogy still going from last year.
Occasional dicking around with Ring of Elysium, PUBG, and Fortnite.

1/25 Resident Evil 2
2/1 Ace Combat 7
2/8 God Eater 3
2/15 Crackdown 3
3/1 DOA6
3/8 DMC5
3/22 Sekiro

And that is while being extremely selective to narrow down the list of what I'm playing!

They gave me Crackdown 3 with Game Pass. It can sit there a bit. You have to think of the game itself as part of an overall sale of Game Pass. It doesn't even have to get people playing specifically it now. Maybe it is what pushes them to pick up Game Pass, but then they see something else on there that they want to play first then they'll get around to it. I may play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Game Pass before I play Crackdown 3, but either way Microsoft considers the strategy as working. They get money, and they say now people on the Xbox platform are playing more hours of games overall and a more diverse assortment of them.

lucius

Gamepass is $2 for two months also this past week I forgot when it went up not saying it would not have flopped without that but that’s an offer you almost can’t resist.

Elenchus

Banned
AS an actual Xbox fan I’m thrilled. This game succeeding would have given Phil an incentive to drive the new studios towards similar games. This flop (and the accompanying loss) will ring in his ear going forward. Also probably means the end of the relationship with Sumo (which is also great news). Let the trolls have their fun(they don’t have much else in their lives) and look at the bigger picture. This is, in reality, a positive Xbox thread.

GenericUser

The game looks like dogshit and is years behind the competition in terms of gameplay mechanics. Mediocre game sells mediocre, who would have thought that .

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wouldn't have expected it to do well in the UK anyway. Neither Crackdown nor its sequel were big sellers and Terry Crews is not exactly a household name over here. I like Brooklyn nine nine, but I couldn't tell you what channel broadcasts it!

Still, a pretty poor result as the decline is way over what would be expected given parity sales factoring in the shift towards digital over boxed retail content.

demigod

AS an actual Xbox fan I’m thrilled. This game succeeding would have given Phil an incentive to drive the new studios towards similar games. This flop (and the accompanying loss) will ring in his ear going forward. Also probably means the end of the relationship with Sumo (which is also great news). Let the trolls have their fun(they don’t have much else in their lives) and look at the bigger picture. This is, in reality, a positive Xbox thread.

Only xbox fans can spin this as good news.

People saying it flopped. In the UK when it doesn't include PC, digital, or gamepass doesn't make much sense and that's not adding the middling marketing directly toward the UK market.

Like the original 2 games, this will be a US focused game, especially at retail, and will likely sell 80%+ of it's Ltd there, like the others. Though gamepass may give 3 good digital sales in Europe and some others but this is an American targeted game. If Crackdown 3 retail wise (unless it has 1 million in go) in Npd isn't top 8 then I'd worry about sales

One thing to consider is CD3 is a test for Gamepass to see if they can get good digital and retail sales (now primarily US but currently spreading) without having one down and the other up allowing profits on both ends at the same time and putting more risky games on GP. It's like Retail is still a major thing but for some unknowns GP is a good safety net just in case. If the game flops they can do big deals on GP to recoup losses.

MS is basically attempting to make a system that's too big to fail so significant money loss is near impossible. Whether it ends up working that way is another question.

DanielsM

Banned
MS is basically attempting to make a system that's too big to fail so significant money loss is near impossible. Whether it ends up working that way is another question.

I'll take the under. You basically needs 10s of millions of active users on GP to support the model (long-term), and I'm talking not cherry picking release months but basically full year at a time.

Microsoft has deep pockets, so they can take the loss, for now - but let's be honest most of the newer games were never going to sell anyway.

Last edited:
Deserved, the game is garbage and Phil Spencer lies everytime. They created game pass because Microsoft "exclusives" was not selling and still not selling.

Banned
I'm playing the game only due to the $2.00 Game Pass deal. Everything about this game is bland, forgettable and frustrating.

ethomaz

Banned
I wouldn’t put too much weight into uk retail as digital has shown to make up to 50% of sales. Then considering gamespass... and then considering this game looks like leftovers from the Mountain Dew era of gaming.

No one is gonna care about this game... ever
UK digital ratio is way lower than US and US is nowhere close to 50.

UK is probably around 25-30%... US 35-40%.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

A lot of fanboys are curiously interested in Xbox business metrics.

Thanks for keeping us up to speed!
Really, they are? Maybe if you guys didn't spam gaming side with obvious MS PR threads, people wouldn't be interested.

😂😂🤣🤣 Fucking wow

Last edited:
giphy.gif

This is actually sad to see. RIP Crackdown, you will surely (not) be missed. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One thing to consider is CD3 is a test for Gamepass to see if they can get good digital and retail sales (now primarily US but currently spreading) without having one down and the other up allowing profits on both ends at the same time and putting more risky games on GP. It's like Retail is still a major thing but for some unknowns GP is a good safety net just in case. If the game flops they can do big deals on GP to recoup losses.

Too big to fail is normally what you call big companies that know they will be bailed out by governments instead of dragging the economy down with them... you wanted to say "diversified enough not to fail"?

mejin

Sumo Digital is a solid dev. The only mistake they made was to jump in. MS throwed their name in the mud with this project.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Metro and FarCry are not Play Anywhere, they're not online focused games, they're not available for $2.

It's like you glossed over the entire point.

Seems like MS is in a no lose situation according to the hardcore Xbox community.

- High Twitch views means the game is success. Stating otherwise is consider hate.
- 1 - 3 million players means the game is a huge success. Even indicating that a great deal of those numbers are due to game pass is considered hate.
- High on NPD charts\UK Charts equal a success, but when it's low on the UK charts, then it's "this game is on game pass. Why would people spend 60 on a game when they can play for just $2"
- High rated reviews is great. Low rated reviews is media bias and how much they cannot be trusted. Even saying the game looks unappealing or
bad is considered Xbox hate.
- Game sales great means it's a success. If sales are bad, then sales don't matter.

This is what I gathered from Xbox fans (the really hardcore ones) across social media. The only thing that matters is positive news and MS is not to blame for anything.

UK digital ratio is way lower than US and US is nowhere close to 50.

UK is probably around 25-30%... US 35-40%.
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, even if we're generous and assume half of Crackdown 3's sales are digital, it would still only sell 20% of what Crackdown 2 sold first week.

Iced Arcade

Pretty sure MS wants people gamepassing over buying now.

Lol the Games doing pretty damn good considering it has 7 threads on the 1st page of gaf. Not to mention attracting the same handful of people who hate and have no interest lol.

onQ123

You guys lack any type of logical cohesion.

"Here, we have 500 new cars on our lot, all of them cost $10,000 to buy but you can rent them for two months for $333."

-

"Why are we not selling very many cars?"

Use your heads guys, it's not hard.

Are you trying to get Sarah Huckabee's job?

demigod

Even Jump Force sold more than Letdown 3, it brings a tear to my eyes. Unlike some of these fake xbox fans defending their game and gamepassing it, I actually bought Jump Force in the US.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Lol the Games doing pretty damn good considering it has 7 threads on the 1st page of gaf. Not to mention attracting the same handful of people who hate and have no interest lol.

Trust me, if a big hyped Sony exclusive goes down the shitter with a critical reception similar to CD3, say like forthcoming Days Gone, the Xboys will surely be all over it and create a dozen hot take threads just to celebrate its demise.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The Order 1886 review thread is over 190 pages, let that sink in.

Klayzer

Gold Member
Really, they are? Maybe if you guys didn't spam gaming side with obvious MS PR threads, people wouldn't be interested.
You can't have hype without dis
Seems like MS is in a no lose situation according to the hardcore Xbox community.

- High Twitch views means the game is success. Stating otherwise is consider hate.
- 1 - 3 million players means the game is a huge success. Even indicating that a great deal of those numbers are due to game pass is considered hate.
- High on NPD charts\UK Charts equal a success, but when it's low on the UK charts, then it's "this game is on game pass. Why would people spend 60 on a game when they can play for just $2"
- High rated reviews is great. Low rated reviews is media bias and how much they cannot be trusted. Even saying the game looks unappealing or
bad is considered Xbox hate.
- Game sales great means it's a success. If sales are bad, then sales don't matter.

This is what I gathered from Xbox fans (the really hardcore ones) across social media. The only thing that matters is positive news and MS is not to blame for anything.
Spot on analysis of the situation. I might add another: - all failures are Don's fault and not Phil.

Pretty sure MS wants people gamepassing over buying now.

Someone literally cited an article where Phil Spencer said that Gamepass helps boost sales. However, the case with Crackdown 3 appears to be an exception to the rule that Phil established even if we were to give the game a rather generous digital split.

Elenchus

Banned
Only xbox fans can spin this as good news.

If it’s spin point out the falsehood. Should be easy right?

My posts on this have been consistent. I’m not a fan of Sumo. Never have been.

Would prefer that $$ to go to other teams. I think the likelihood of that happening just increased.

You take the opposite position. Fine. But what exactly is the argument?

That Sumo’s failure will lead to even greater investment by MS?

Take me down the rabbit hole Alice and show me how you arrive at that conclusion.

Honestly though, was Crackdown ever really that popular in the first place? Also, not trying to start anything, but aren’t most of the Xbox demographic very finicky and particular in which games they purchase? If games such as Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3, Quantum Break and Recore can’t sell millions and millions, why was everyone expecting a miracle from Crackdown 3?

demigod

If it’s spin point out the falsehood. Should be easy right?

My posts on this have been consistent. I’m not a fan of Sumo. Never have been.

Would prefer that $$ to go to other teams. I think the likelihood of that happening just increased.

You take the opposite position. Fine. But what exactly is the argument?

That Sumo’s failure will lead to even greater investment by MS?

Take me down the rabbit hole Alice and show me how you arrive at that conclusion.

You don’t get sequels if a game bombs.

bilderberg

Maybe it's just because i'm playing it through gamepass, but I kind of like it. I think I played the original for about five minutes, so all these complaints about "it's just the same thing" don't mean much. I'm also playing on hard because I heard going in the game is too mindless. The shotgun guys can kiss my ass though. You can have this 15+ minute war of attrition come to a halt because you turn the corner and some shotgun asshole kills you in half a second.

Top Bottom