• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Deus Ex Human Revolution launch "much stronger" than Mankind Divided's launch

Regginator

Yeah, I saw the numbers this morning and was surprised. Not that it did worse than HR, just at how low it was for what I consider a fairly big franchise.

Honestly I wonder how much of it is to do with how identical the consumer-facing imagery is to HR - the mainstream public will see no difference between this and the game that released five years ago, it might as well be a remaster.

EDIT: Seriously, look at these. It's like FIFA covers... Doesn't exactly shout that it's a brand new game.

AGw4BV6.png
deus-ex-mankind-divided_da321dca.jpg

If the "mainstream" don't even realise they're two different games, they'd probably never have been identified as a target group to begin with.

Also, you kinda invalidate your whole point with the FIFA comparison, because they still sell a fuckton of copies despite having similar covers every year.

megalowho

I'm enjoying Mankind Divided quite a bit but I agree that it feels like an incremental, annualized sequel to Human Revolution with a story that doesn't really tackle the big timeline gaps longtime fans are looking for. Not that the game needed to be rushed, but it probably takes more than that to wow folks into a day one purchase after momentum has died down 5 years later.

As much as I loved HR in 2011, it took 20 bucks off MD for me to jump in early. Just wasn't high up on the list for me, wasn't interested at full price. Without a significant leap forward in terms of systems, scope or presentation, a major story arc that bridges the series or savvy marketing that doesn't portray the game as more of the same, lower sales are not surprising.

Erevador

Marketing was far too generic this time around. They didn't showcase what makes Deus Ex unique very well, and did a poor job differentiating the game from the previous entry.

Steamspy says 265,040 owners. Seems a bit low?

Damn, wasn't NMS at like 700k? Deus Bomba

What?
250k is a very good first week numbers for Steam release. NMS is the anomaly. Even Dark Souls 3 and Doom coulnd't manage NMS number at release, far lower.
Steamspy is sitting at 265k owners as of today, much better than Hitman which only did like 100k and a bit better than RotTR with 200k on their respective first week sales. Also, mind that Mankind Divided is not in a bundle with graphic card like RotTR did (it's, however, bundled with amd cpu but who buys amd cpu?). I think it's safe to say that Mankind Divided is Square Enix's best first week sales on Steam this gen. It can potentially surpass RotTR which has 900k owners eventually.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I imagine a lot of people who got the first didn't return, Deus Ex has the problem of looking like a 3rd person stealth game and looking like a FPS and it's neither.
I assume some didn't give it a chance

I dunno, I still remember the Human Revolution trailer, the Icarus one, with the absolutely amazing song that still bounces around in my head and the famous 'i didn't ask for this' line. I was so into it.

I can't even recall a single piece of Mankind Divided (a subtitle that I barely remember 1/2 the time) promotional material, they just did not hype the game well at all.

I loved HR, one of my favorite games of last gen, but I didn't even know when MD came out, and when I did I was like 'okay whatever'.

xabbott

After the failure of the preorder marketing this game fell off my radar. I'm so glad I ended up getting it though as its the type of RPG I've been missing. It has all the stuff that I wish Fallout 4 had in regards to choices and creative solutions to quest. I completely agree with the negatives most reviews pointed out but the level design, side quests, and abilities are just so well done. My favorite single player player game this year so far.

Kyonashi

If the "mainstream" don't even realise they're two different games, they'd probably never have been identified as a target group to begin with.

Also, you kinda invalidate your whole point with the FIFA comparison, because they still sell a fuckton of copies despite having similar covers every year.

Yes but FIFA has the year on the box, and strong brand recognition. Neither of which Deus Ex has the benefit of. I was only making a aesthetic comparison.

GeeTeeCee

I loved Human Revolution and was looking forward to Mankind Divided, but I've built up such a backlog of games that I won't be buying MD until mid-September at the earliest.

Liamario

Banned
Pissed off with the game personally. Referring specifically to the choppy framerate and screen tearing. It really has a negative impact on the gameplay.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
EDIT: Seriously, look at these. It's like FIFA covers... Doesn't exactly shout that it's a brand new game.

AGw4BV6.png
deus-ex-mankind-divided_da321dca.jpg

Tbh, unless you were a fan or following the game you'd be forgiven for thinking one of these were expansion packs. The problem is, which one is the Base game?

Mexen

I hear MD's story is not as good as HR's but I would like to know how MD's story, on it's own without comparing it to HR's, is like. Anyone?

AHA-Lambda

I hear MD's story is not as good as HR's but I would like to know how MD's story, on it's own without comparing it to HR's, is like. Anyone?

It's ok, not awful.

Biggest problem is that it largely feels more like a set up for another game down the line.

Not terrible, but it's incomplete in most every way. Depends heavily on knowledge of and investment in Human Revolution, leaves a lot of loose ends to be tied up in some sort of sequel work down the line. You really can't talk about it without bringing up HR for that reason because completely standalone, it's a pretty weak story. Whole thing feels like a fraction of something larger.

Mexen

Not terrible, but it's incomplete in most every way. Depends heavily on knowledge of and investment in Human Revolution, leaves a lot of loose ends to be tied up in some sort of sequel work down the line. You really can't talk about it without bringing up HR for that reason because completely standalone, it's a pretty weak story. Whole thing feels like a fraction of something larger.

It's ok, not awful.

Biggest problem is that it largely feels more like a set up for another game down the line.

I see. Thanks, guys.

It's a shame because the level design, sidequest stories, gameplay, and environmental storytelling is absolutely a massive leap forward over Human Revolution, but that's something you have to play to understand. It's kind of astonishing how much love and care went into making Prague feel like a lived in location where every part of it feels like it has an interesting story or connection to the rest of the world.

Yeah. I feel that the studio are really growing in most areas such as those you mentioned and look forward to their next game now since it could potentially be a masterpiece next time as long as it is the conclusion and feels complete. Hopefully it will be out this gen and not take another 5 years to come out. lol.

Top Bottom