• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK GAF PS5 & Xbox Pre-order Watch

THE:MILKMAN

Game prices for PS2 to the end of PS3 were available for £30/£35 day 1 at supermarkets until the game companies I guess lobbied the government or something? Then they went to £40/£45 and lately £45/£50.

Now they are asking £70. Way too much IMO, especially as they have many other money making avenues with MT/DLC, paid online etc.

The market will dictate on the game price. game in the uk are pretty famous for losing sales by not competing on prices, especially at release time. Even with stores they are right next to. Let alone supermarkets

but at a launch. People will pay, just for that next gen experience and shiny games

things will settle down and be pretty much how they are just now and almost every generation.

the question really is, who pays full price for games and how many do they buy in the consoles lifetime ?

i know I buy full price when certain games are released (or whatever the price is in the shops). The rest are always in sales and are usually pretty cheap which again is relative to paying full price happily, all the time, some of the time or none of the time.

Instant game collections, also can effect sense of value and more so available time to spend on a single game

Portugeezer

I posted screenshots earlier on in reply to someone, you'll be okay. Hoping I'm good doing it in June. (Note only the allocation message is me)

Argos has been such a cluster fuck. I know people who where up at midnight to order one, then they've just put them out at 5am which is ridiculous.
Yeah i was pissed when I saw I got a stock alert email and 5am.
I wouldn't be so sure. Games now are, generally, cheaper than they've ever been and from a business perspective, have long been overdue a price hike.

PS2 I'm struggling to get good data on but the consensus seems to be that big titles were $50, so roughly $75.47 or £58.20 today.
Resistance was $60 at launch in 2006, roughly $77.36 or £59.68 today, couldn't find UK pricing but you have to imagine it's very similar.
Killzone Shadowfall was on average £48 retail at launch in 2013, roughly £55.37, and you could easily have paid more at the time at stores like GAME.

You don't have to be happy about it, but some day, those numbers need to go up. Is £70 too steep? Maybe. I would wait and see what they cost on the digital storefront. I'm willing to bet that PS5 only titles will be £65 or £60 digital and more physical to deter people from buying them.
Most people's wages haven't inflated at the same rate, which is why it stings for people (of course we're taking about a game machine so not a priority in life). The value depends on the game, GTA5 would have been worth £70 even 7 years ago. GTA6 will probably be worth £80 in reality.

You can usually shop around online get current gen games for £45-£50 at launch. I hope the same for next gen (£60 max) but maybe I am dreaming.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
...PS3 were available for £30/£35 day 1 at supermarkets until the game companies I guess lobbied the government or something? Then they went to £40/£45 and lately £45/£50.

30/35 sounded too low from my experience, found a UK source finally. £40 at the time for PS3 which was actually lower than expected considering apparently 360 games were £50, i.e. MS had already upped their prices at that point. Taking into account the above £48 PS4 average it stands to reason £60 would be the new price just to keep things on track, without upping the price.

And while very true that wages haven't inflated at the same rate, you can guarantee development costs have gone up across the board for big games. Check the most expensive games made and rank by inflation, the vast majority are from the 2010s. Games are getting bigger and shinier and harder to make.

We'll see if the public accepts £70. Frankly I can see the people who buy two games a year rolling their eyes, but paying it anyway, because what choice do they have if they want to play COD and FIFA with their mates?

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

30/35 sounded too low from my experience, found a UK source finally.

It was a supermarket loss leader trick to get footfall to be honest. It made game pricing competitive though.

I don't mind paying £40-£45 for quality games Like Sony FP but putting up prices 40% out of nowhere tells me something isn't right here.

Me complaining will be all moot if the masses lap it up!

chonga

30/35 sounded too low from my experience, found a UK source finally. £40 at the time for PS3 which was actually lower than expected considering apparently 360 games were £50. Taking into account the above £48 PS4 average it stands to reason £60 would be the new price just to keep things on track, without upping the price.

And while very true that wages haven't inflated at the same rate, you can guarantee development costs have gone up across the board for big games. Check the most expensive games made and rank by inflation, the vast majority are from the 2010s. Games are getting bigger and shinier and harder to make.

We'll see if the public accepts £70. Frankly I can see the people who buy two games a year rolling their eyes, but paying it anyway, because what choice do they have if they want to play COD and FIFA with their mates?
I don't know that I remember them being £30 but they certainly did go to £35. But it was only for a couple of years and only for a couple of games - basically COD and FIFA and it would be launch day/weekend only. They were loss-leaders to get you into the supermarket to buy junk food and crap at the same time. It was at a time of heightened competition between supermarkets in terms of their non-food offerings. It wasn't publishers thinking it'd be a good idea it was the supermarkets.

It clearly didn't work out and hence they stopped doing it.

Also you seem to be comparing prices that things were being sold for vs. RRP. Generally speaking the big-gun titles were £49.99 RRP on PS3 (though some titles later in the gen tried £54.99) and £59.99 RRP on PS4. Now they'll be £69.99 RRP.

But as you see from the links the other person provided - the retail landscape is competitive and games sell for a lot less. That's why people question why you'd ever go digital.

For two recent examples look to TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. They were £54.99 and £59.99 RRP respectively, but both available to pre-order or at launch in some outlets for £45.

So we need to wait and see how retail pricing will truly compare once those discounts filter through.

Roufianos

Prices rising from £40 / £45 to £70 in the space of a generation is outright greedy. Where's the blowback?

Unfortunately, the idiots who cover this industry are too preoccupied making an outrage over J.K Rowling to write about exploitative pricing.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It was a supermarket loss leader trick to get footfall to be honest. It made game pricing competitive though.

I don't mind paying £40-£45 for quality games Like Sony FP but putting up prices 40% out of nowhere tells me something isn't right here.

Me complaining will be all moot if the masses lap it up!
I don't know that I remember them being £30 but they certainly did go to £35. But it was only for a couple of years and only for a couple of games - basically COD and FIFA and it would be launch day/weekend only. They were loss-leaders to get you into the supermarket to buy junk food and crap at the same time. It was at a time of heightened competition between supermarkets in terms of their non-food offerings. It wasn't publishers thinking it'd be a good idea it was the supermarkets.

It clearly didn't work out and hence they stopped doing it.

Also you seem to be comparing prices that things were being sold for vs. RRP. Generally speaking the big-gun titles were £49.99 RRP on PS3 (though some titles later in the gen tried £54.99) and £59.99 RRP on PS4. Now they'll be £69.99 RRP.

But as you see from the links the other person provided - the retail landscape is competitive and games sell for a lot less. That's why people question why you'd ever go digital.

For two recent examples look to TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. They were £54.99 and £59.99 RRP respectively, but both available to pre-order or at launch in some outlets for £45.

So we need to wait and see how retail pricing will truly compare once those discounts filter through.

Yeah, I think that's the trick, is wait and see what happens. This is all pre-orders and for all we know they'll drop before launch. We also need to see what happens regarding digital vs. physical.

This is a big reason I wanted the disc drive edition, I don't wanna be stuck paying outrageous sums for games I then have for life regardless of how much I'll ever touch them again.

Play'sGhost

Neo Member
I mean if you can barely afford a game then no chance you’ll afford the console.

it's not just 1 game though, 70 will start to add up big time. The console is an initially investment, then youve got it for the next decade. If i buy 5 games every 2 months that's already near the price of my digital console, that's an ongoing sting for your wallet.

AV

What also bugs me is that it's $70 for games in the US, and the same number here, but the console prices are (rightfully) adjusted?

it's not just 1 game though, 70 will start to add up big time. The console is an initially investment, then youve got it for the next decade. If i buy 5 games every 2 months that's already near the price of my digital console, that's an ongoing sting for your wallet.

2.5 games a month is a really high-end user though. The "average" PS4 owner owned 10 games total on their console in 2019, and that's actually high. The mass market generally buys a shooter and a sports game each year with enthusiasts like us forum users pushing those figures up.

Last edited:

klosos

eoJCUz6.jpg

o5MJ83Y.jpg

8W7Z4iR.jpg

From the horses mouth pal.

Nice one FUBARx89 FUBARx89 , i registered my interest in February and confirmed it earlier so i think ill be good to go Day one. Just need to book annual leave for new console and Cyberpunk 2077 release

Roufianos

Still refreshing Currys and Amazon.

France being sold out natinwide is causing me to sweat a little.

You'll drive yourself crazy doing that.

You need to set up the alarm on this page:

Today alone you could have swiped one from Very or John Lewis.

Bryank75

Banned
Still refreshing Currys and Amazon.

France being sold out natinwide is causing me to sweat a little.
If you're in UK or Ireland sign up for Harvey Norman, I think they will have pre-orders still. Not open yet though.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If you have pre ordered on Game, but haven’t received your email yet, I just got one, so should be coming to you soon as well.

BravoZero

Neo Member
Which websites let you pre-order without paying upfront apart from Amazon?
I want to pre order but I won't have the funds for a couple of weeks.

AV

Which websites let you pre-order without paying upfront apart from Amazon?
I want to pre order but I won't have the funds for a couple of weeks.

I think most do, don't they? Very.co.uk definitely don't though, they will take the payment immediately.

DonJorginho

Banned
Managed to get a Digital Edition off Amazon UK yesterday in a mad dash at 9 in the morning in my work office to get one sorted.

I am honestly fine for paying £70 for a game(which I bet will be £60-65 on PSN Store to move people into the Sony market for higher profits). I love games and I have a stable job as of this moment and buy around 5-6 big releases a year so this is perfectly viable.

Am going to buy Miles Morales, Cyberpunk 2077, FIFA 21 and either WD Legion or AC Valhalla at launch alongside a 3D Pulse Headset to fully enjoy this.

I have a second pre-order with shopto so if I get a concrete date for that and someone wants it just let me know!

itruk312

Neo Member
Shopto emailed me at 1:30 reminding me that I had expressed interest in the PS5 way back in June (for a deposit of 1p) and wanting me to confirm if I was still interested.
To then go to my account and confirm or deny it.

Nothing to be paid yet until they get confirmation of their stock allocation from Sony.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
They will for sure cancel that order. A lot of people are in the same boat.

Fuck my luck - I ordered at 08:00 this morning.

Okay if you log into Argos and you check your order status, what does it say? Mine says ‘sit tight we’re processing your order’

Fuck my luck - I ordered at 08:00 this morning.

Okay if you log into Argos and you check your order status, what does it say? Mine says ‘sit tight we’re processing your order’

I didn't get mine from Argos.

Although I could be wrong, try to talk to Argos in webchat to confirm if it went through or not

EiLi9bAWsAM-DYh

Last edited:

Rob_27

Argos always have allocation in store on the day so you will need to get up about 7am to grab one I believe

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd bet Sony will use a series of pre-order refreshes each of increasing size as we move towards launch day. From a supply chain perspective its helpful as it makes it easy to balance demand, but mainly it exploits FOMO hard.

I predicted pre-orders would start immediately following the reveal, so lets see if I'm right about this also.

Portugeezer

Nitty_Grimes Nitty_Grimes Regarding Argos, if you have an order confirmed on your account on their site, then you have a preorder. If they cancel it, it will be because they took too many orders.

As far as payment pending? Doesn't seem out of the ordinary, I have £450 less available to me but payment is pending like many payments. (box's £1 is pending lol)

I did however get an email, but you don't need that for confirmation, it has the same details as the website.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Nitty_Grimes Nitty_Grimes Regarding Argos, if you have an order confirmed on your account on their site, then you have a preorder. If they cancel it, it will be because they took too many orders.

As far as payment pending? Doesn't seem out of the ordinary, I have £450 less available to me but payment is pending like many payments. (box's £1 is pending lol)

I did however get an email, but you don't need that for confirmation, it has the same details as the website.

Thank you for the info. Its appreciated.

Hostile_18

Banned
Also keep checking on Amazon daily. I distinctly remember Amazon orders coming back during the PS4 pre-order run up. I think they "collect" all the cancelled orders, that or they secure additional stock as we get closer to release.

Top Bottom