• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Gran Turismo Sport retail launch bigger than GT1 and GT6, less than GT5

synce

Wow, had no idea GT6 sold so poorly. Beating those numbers doesn't look like much of an accomplishment in context

Behlel

This is of course a legit question but relates to the review threads. Apparently reviewers thought that Forza 7 is overall the better game. Arguments back and forth with loot boxes and missing singleplayer can be drawn but in the end, one game was a lot better in terms of scores than the other one. Which, again, doesn't relate to sales but subjectivity aside, a better game should result in better sales in an ideal world.
A better game based on reviewer not based on customer. Minecraft is a shitty game but it sold gangbusters so does it change something?

c0de

A better game based on reviewer not based on customer. Minecraft is a shitty game but it sold gangbusters so does it change something?

First I said subjectivity aside, second user reviews seem to be not that good for GTS. Doesn't mean nobody is enjoying the game, though.

Wow, had no idea GT6 sold so poorly. Beating those numbers doesn't look like much of an accomplishment in context

PS4 launch really hurt GT6, it was a bad time to release it really and would have sold much better if it was ported to PS4 as well.

To be fair though, to still sell around 6 million by the end is pretty good, considering a lot of people jumped to PS4.

bombshell

This is of course a legit question but relates to the review threads. Apparently reviewers thought that Forza 7 is overall the better game. Arguments back and forth with loot boxes and missing singleplayer can be drawn but in the end, one game was a lot better in terms of scores than the other one. Which, again, doesn't relate to sales but subjectivity aside, a better game should result in better sales in an ideal world.

GTS is the better game where it matters: On the track. You would know that if you read the reviews instead of looking at scores. The scores are lower because of what is not there rather than what is there.

It launched on PS3 after the PS4 launch, which was bafflingly stupid by Sony. It still sold over 5 million in the end, but most sales happened from heavily reduced prices.

Behlel

First I said subjectivity aside, second user reviews seem to be not that good for GTS. Doesn't mean nobody is enjoying the game, though.
Based on the fake review on amazon? Where are the negative feed of the one who bought the game? "I've played 5 minutes and it's trash" yeah i can trust those people lol

TBiddy

Based on the fake review on amazon? Where are the negative feed of the one who bought the game? "I've played 5 minutes and it's trash" yeah i can trust those people lol

Yes, all the negative user reviews are clearly fake. Every single one.

Tfault

GTS is the better game where it matters: On the track. You would know that if you read the reviews instead of looking at scores. The scores are lower because of what is not there rather than what is there.

It launched on PS3 after the PS4 launch, which was bafflingly stupid by Sony. It still sold over 5 million in the end, but most sales happened from heavily reduced prices.

Couldn't agree more, that's the key to GTS.

It's the first GranTurismo game on current gen so it's not surprising it had a good launch. The question is if it will have legs. Gran Turismo 5 basically kept selling from launch until PD forced the servers to shutdown for GT6.
Anecdotally, I see alot of the more casual audience complaining on Facebook on ads and PlayStation related pages I follow.

I'm surprised the game did better than expected, especially action games like Shadow of Mordor. Racing games must be a Europe thing in terms of popularity because racing games are not popular in America other than Mario Kart.

I thought this game was a demo with the small amount of cars in it, but then I saw "GT Sport demo released" and I thought "what? A demo of a demo??". Now I've discovered this is supposed to be a full GT game, but with only seven and a half cars. I'm out, I'll buy Forza instead.

3/10 for effort, I suppose.

Egida

Neo Member
I knew it was going to sell well. Not selling as much as GT5 is the real news here IMO. Let's see how it goes from here.

Anecdotically, my local CEX (used games trading shop) is flooded with GTS. This is a small city, and usually you have to wait for several weeks for new releases to start appearing.

Glad GTS is doing well! I’ve honestly been torn on getting it since AC:Origins comes out a week after it, and the focus on online is something that worries me long term. I’ll probably get it on sale sometime though, looks to be amazing in VR

Septic360

Banned
If sales are indicative of quality then Knack is better than Super Mario 3D World....

Loving this new narrative that GT Sport is better where it matters most...as if its high sales weren't almost guaranteed? There's a lot of good will attached to the GT name, despite its obvious massive failings in its latest iteration, its still sold well as was expected.

It isn't as proficient as its competitors and it lags behind totally as a package according to reviews so this whole "oh it excels where it matters most hence why it sold so much" narrative is bullshit.

Its GT. Its bound to sell, regardless of how much better Forza is than it.

So if the numbers fall massively like in case GT6 its because the series has failed to evolve, fallen behind competition, there's new champion in the market etc, but if it does good numbers then its because of the brand name and not the actual quality of the game.

lol ok then..

Krakin

If sales are indicative of quality then Knack is better than Super Mario 3D World....

Loving this new narrative that GT Sport is better where it matters most...as if its high sales weren't almost guaranteed? There's a lot of good will attached to the GT name, despite its obvious massive failings in its latest iteration, its still sold well as was expected.

It isn't as proficient as its competitors and it lags behind totally as a package according to reviews so this whole "oh it excels where it matters most hence why it sold so much" narrative is bullshit.

Dude, you're trying too hard.

Egida

Neo Member
So if the numbers fall massively like in case GT6 its because the series has failed to evolve, fallen behind competition, there's new champion in the market etc, but if it does good numbers then its because of the brand name and not the actual quality of the game.

lol ok then..

No? GT6 did "poorly" because it launched when the PS4 was already out. At least that's what I've read dozens of times here.

No? GT6 did "poorly" because it launched when the PS4 was already out. At least that's what I've read dozens of times here.

The actual reason is not the point, its the spin you see certain people put on it. If it sells relatively bad then 'oh what did you expect? its a mediocre game in a declining series'. If it does good then 'oh what did you expect? its GT of course its gonna sell well'

c0de

I knew it was going to sell well. Not selling as much as GT5 is the real news here IMO. Let's see how it goes from here.

Anecdotically, my local CEX (used games trading shop) is flooded with GTS. This is a small city, and usually you have to wait for several weeks for new releases to start appearing.

No doubt Sony was expecting the game to sell a LOT.

Vroadstar

Gold Member

So what's it to you that it sold more than Forza? You go thru all the spin but really is it just...

abT97Cl.jpg

Aceofspades

Banned

lol ok then..

GT6 sold 6m units. better than all so called competitors.

Egida

Neo Member
The actual reason is not the point, its the spin you see certain people put on it. If it sells relatively bad then 'oh what did you expect? its a mediocre game in a declining series'. If it does good then 'oh what did you expect? its GT of course its gonna sell well'
Yeah, that's true.

No doubt Sony was expecting the game to sell a LOT.
Well, obviously, it's friggin' Gran Turismo, with a massive marketing campaign and the leading platform.

Vroadstar

Gold Member

They can't help it because it sold better than the other exclusive racer...

gXMioaI.gif

Septic360

Banned
So what's it to you that it sold more than Forza? You go thru all the spin but really is it just...

abT97Cl.jpg

Lol the point I'm making is, the sales aren't necessarily indicative of quality. It wasn't really hard to glean from what I said, particularly in reference to Knack.

Egida

Neo Member
One has the reviews, the other has the sales.

Everyone win !!

I can't help but think that each one had the opportuniy to destroy the other this time and both missed.

GTS with more content and single player mode would've been a 10/10 package, 95+ meta for sure.

Forza 7 without the lootcrate crap would've had it much easier to court GT players, even if the sp is not 1:1 like Gran Turismo mode.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Lol the point I'm making is, the sales aren't necessarily indicative of quality. It wasn't really hard to glean from what I said, particularly in reference to Knack.

The thread is about GTS selling better than 6 and 1 and not about GTS vs Forza until you chimed in with this

Forza surely deserves the sales more than GTS no?

Keep on spinning though if makes you feel better...

Septic360

Banned
The thread is about GTS selling better than 6 and 1 and not about GTS vs Forza until you chimed in with this

Keep on spinning though if makes you feel better...

Your two quotes actually enforce my point though? If sales are indicative of quality then Forza would sell more no? The one that has been received FAR more favourably critically?

Still struggling to understand? Its not really rocket science.

Oh and

No. Check the OT....

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Your two quotes actually enforce my point though? If sales are indicative of quality then Forza would sell more no? The one that has been received FAR more favourably critically?

Still struggling to understand? Its not really rocket science.

Oh and

No. Check the OT....

Didn't know sales of GTS vs Forza is affecting you too much, I'll leave this here and let you be...

Quality is one thing that GT Sport is definitely not lacking.

black070

Didn't know sales of GTS vs Forza is affecting you too much, I'll leave this here and let you be...

I wouldn't bother replying to him after seeing his posts in the review thread.

So brehs....the dust has settled. GTS is one of the lowest rates GT games. Forza retains the throne and Neogaf gets merked over some scandal including vomit.

Talk to meh.
Well you should see some of the downright moronic comments here :

http://n4g.com/news/2115449/how-gran-turismo-sport-has-returned-the-series-to-greatness

Apparently it's a masterpiece according to some. Expect this narrative to spin out of control until the revisionist history then suggests that rampant bias and people not 'understanding' GT resulted in it getting merked in reviews

Septic360

Banned
Yes thanks for heads up, well I guess it is affecting him what with the throne/crown talk and all

All that throne/crown talk shouldn't dissuade you from actually answering the question. Merely quoting one of the more 'hardcore ' GT fans stating that 'GT doesn't lack quality' hardly makes a strong counter for an argument that the more critically well received title might 'deserve' more sales no?

Never mind- carry on :)

IISANDERII

Glad to see a large number of people understand that most game reviews sites are totally valueless. And I've been saying this years before GTS.

All that throne/crown talk shouldn't dissuade you from actually answering the question. Merely quoting one of the more 'hardcore ' GT fans stating that 'GT doesn't lack quality' hardly makes a strong counter for an argument that the more critically well received title might 'deserve' more sales no?

Never mind- carry on :)
Forza 7 is a more "casual" game than GT Sport.

It appeals to more people.

Playing an pretty much online only racing game is basically a non-stop time investment.

leeh

IMO, we're really at a point where we need digital sales to really draw conclusion. We could in reality be missing out like 40k sales or something.

First post since the meltdown, hi GAF!

This did significantly better than I thought it would; I'd guessed around GT6 considering market conditions and the fact that digital sales were probably a reasonable chunk. I think Sony will be happy with that start, as the game will have legs.

Not bad. I predicted about 65k so 73k or whatever is reasonable.

I think GT Sport will struggle to sell as much as GT6 and GT5P in the same time frame though and will be heavily bundled. I bet after 2-3 years of heavy bundles and a second version of GT Sport with more content and more offline friendly, PD will update their sales page.

The price and how many copies on ebay might give us clue to how it's really doing on its own soon.

Top Bottom