• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Gran Turismo Sport retail launch bigger than GT1 and GT6, less than GT5

fbutron

I wonder how Forza will fare after the Xbox One X comes out.

I'm not surprised GT Sport did well, the PS4 has no other simulators!

If it wasn't for the rest of the games this month and the Internet connection crap I would have bought it as well.

Yeah sure lets forget about Asseto Corsa, Project Cars 1 and 2

fbutron

I thought this game was a demo with the small amount of cars in it, but then I saw "GT Sport demo released" and I thought "what? A demo of a demo??". Now I've discovered this is supposed to be a full GT game, but with only seven and a half cars. I'm out, I'll buy Forza instead.

Try trolling harder 7 cars !! ja ja the online part id a blast and finally online you dont have a wreck fest

That mode is superfun

MadMod

I'll add to those sales if they show me how theyre going to support it in the future. Heard the gameplay is incredible. Good numbers, considering that the digital sales arent even included. If they show as much support as Sony showed for Driveclub, my fave racer. I'll be very interested.

My pa is a mechanic and has always loved car simulators.
I'm waiting novermber for some deals on driving wheels and then I think I'll bite too.

Eria

better than expected but considering that we are talking about UK and EU I want to see how it sold in USA.

border

So basically it's somewhere between 44K and 269K?

That can't really be the result they wanted after like 4 years of development time. Tepid reviews and the competitive holiday market are going to affect the game's legs, I presume.

Chille

That can't really be the result they wanted after like 4 years of development time. Tepid reviews and the competitive holiday market are going to affect the game's legs, I presume.

It's gran turismo it's gonna sell well for a long time

Between 74K and 108K.... Unconfirmed 90K. Sill not that great for a GT game...

Unknown?

Just a reminder GT5 wasn’t available digitally and digital has come ALONG way since 2013 let alone 2010. With Digital I’d expect 125-150k. Pretty good regardless.

Unknown?

Expecting the brand to be as strong as it was nearly a decade ago seems really optimistic, particularly given that Sport is not really the same game as GT1-6.

Yeah but people were saying the same exact thing as you when GT5 was about to launch and after. I remember the shitstorm in NPD when it launched with ONLY 750k. All the people saying it lost its brand power and it wouldn’t come close to GT4 yet it sold over 3 million in North America and nearly 12 Million. So being optimistic isn’t really unprecedented. People always forget that GT sells most over time and when it’s cheaper. A majority of GT3 sells came after it became a greatest hit, not at launch.

border

If it weren't for the completely hopeless, stillborn and ill-advised release of Gran Turismo 6, the headline of this thread would be "UK: Gran Turismo Sport sales are down 67% from its predecessor". I would maybe consider that before you assert that the game still has the appeal that it once did.

The only silver lining on this is that it didn't do as poorly as a last-generation PS3 game released after the launch of the PS4.

bombshell

If it weren't for the completely hopeless, stillborn and ill-advised release of Gran Turismo 6, the headline of this thread would be "UK: Gran Turismo Sport sales are down 67% from its predecessor". I would maybe consider that before you assert that the game still has the appeal that it once did.

The only silver lining on this is that it didn't do as poorly as a last-generation PS3 game released after the launch of the PS4.

GT5 has never been available digitally, so doing a percentage comparison between the retail sales of the two does not give you anywhere close to the complete picture of GT Sport launch sales.

Also, GT6 has to date sold 5,170,000 copies, so your opening description of it is a bit too dramatic.

Unknown?

Yeah maybe because media headlines are sensational for clicks but there are too many factors to compare it directly to GT5. GT5 wasn’t available digitally nor were digital downloads big even for online only games in 2010.

Not even mentioning the genre as a whole is dying.

That's quite the implication...

GTS is in all but the dev's ill-reasoned PR a spin-off game. Spin-offs never sell as much as mainline games.

I've held off on GTS because of the lack of singleplayer features that I've grown accustomed to in other GT games, but it's good to hear that it still plays extremely well. The sales result seems okay, but I'm worried how it will perform in other markets.

Gorgeous game, will pick up on sale some day, and once I'm done plowing through FH3

Aren't there any in-game leaderboards to go by? For the license tests or so??

I think that would have the same problems as on Xbox - people who share copies count as unique users on the board so the number is slightly skewed.

EDIT: Also, is there a "forced first event" in GTS? Because if not then there isn't necessarily a race that can count the number of players.

I think that would have the same problems as on Xbox - people who share copies count as unique users on the board so the number is slightly skewed.

I know, but it won't be SO many, at least you could have a solid max-sales ceiling number.

Why do license tests not have leaderboards? Everyone who bought the game will do the first "drive in a straight line" license test, right?

Why do license tests not have leaderboards? Everyone who bought the game will do the first "drive in a straight line" license test, right?

Does GTS have that? All I meant by what I said was that there might not be one even that every person has to play, so there might not be one starting event with the biggest leaderboard.

c0de

Reviews and opinions are subjective by nature. You needing that pointed out is absurd.

That statement does gel with many other subjective reviews, though

Presenting subjective review bits as objective doesn't help anyone in any discussion. For whatever reason (one might check every review) one did better than the other, objectively by numbers.

Does GTS have that? All I meant by what I said was that there might not be one even that every person has to play, so there might not be one starting event with the biggest leaderboard.

I don't know either. But why would they not have leaderboards? In GT6 it would draw the lines my friends have driven in the tests, meaning it even saved a complete replay online.

I don't know either. But why would they not have leaderboards? In GT6 it would draw the lines my friends have driven in the tests, meaning it even saved a complete replay online.

I meant licences, not leaderboard :p

I'm assuming it does have leaderboards, but what I'm trying to get across is this: In the first Forza Horizon, there's a speed camera with a leaderboard that the game forces you to drive through at the start of the game. It kinda guarantees that the leaderboard contains everyone who has booted and played the tiniest bit of the game.

If GTS' structure is like "here are the events, go crazy" and doesn't force you into one, its leaderboards might not have every single player, because some may go straight online without ever touching the events and setting a board entry, some might just stick to arcade, etc.

Presenting subjective review bits as objective doesn't help anyone in any discussion. For whatever reason (one might check every review) one did better than the other, objectively by numbers.
The reason is that GT has always been more popular as a global brand. Despite how much Forza has improved to become an amazing sim racer, improvements to one franchise isn't always enough to win out over brand awareness and popularity.

Didn't GT5 sell more than every forza game combined up to F6? Hard to compete with that, in any case.

bombshell

I know, but it won't be SO many, at least you could have a solid max-sales ceiling number.

All events and every time trial in GTS have a leaderboard where you can filter top 10 and friends, but it does not give you a global placement and you can't see total players.

But none of the campaign events are forced and no content is gated behind completion of any of the campaign events.

Emwitus

It is already, isn't it? I mean, everyone expected high FW sales because of
1. bundles
2. game name
3. late reviews that could've hurt FW sales

It will be more interesting to see how the long term sales will turn out and how bundles will continue.

Y'all expect reviews to affect GT sales? hahahahahha

Emwitus

I knew it was going to sell well. Not selling as much as GT5 is the real news here IMO. Let's see how it goes from here.

Anecdotically, my local CEX (used games trading shop) is flooded with GTS. This is a small city, and usually you have to wait for several weeks for new releases to start appearing.

It really isn't more people buy digital than in 2010

border

Yeah maybe because media headlines are sensational for clicks but there are too many factors to compare it directly to GT5. GT5 wasn’t available digitally nor were digital downloads big even for online only games in 2010.

It's not as if it's exactly fair to compare it to GT1 (a 25 year old PS1 game) or GT6 (an afterthought of a release that had none of the usual hype or marketing support). Polyphony Digital's release schedule is so sporadic that it's difficult to establish a baseline for where they should be. Given that Sport is releasing at the height of the PS4's reign and prior to any new generation rumblings, I don't think it's unfair to say that its sales should probably look more like GT4-5.

GTS is in all but the dev's ill-reasoned PR a spin-off game. Spin-offs never sell as much as mainline games.

You can call it a spinoff I suppose.....

But if it took 36-48 months for 120 cars and a couple dozen tracks, this is probably going to be what GT becomes though. Sony isn't going to give them extra time to make hundreds of cars because they're already pushing the limits of a reasonable development time.

Emwitus

There's also the fact that a total of 0 people worldwide bought GT5 digitally.

Well, i stand corrected. So these sales results comparisons are way off base

It's not as if it's exactly fair to compare it to GT1 (a 25 year old PS1 game) or GT6 (an afterthought of a release that had none of the usual hype or marketing support). Polyphony Digital's release schedule is so sporadic that it's difficult to establish a baseline for where they should be. Given that Sport is releasing at the height of the PS4's reign and prior to any new generation rumblings, I don't think it's unfair to say that its sales should probably look more like GT4-5.

You can call it a spinoff I suppose.....

But if it took 36-48 months for 120 cars and a couple dozen tracks, this is probably going to be what GT becomes though. Sony isn't going to give them extra time to make hundreds of cars because they're already pushing the limits of a reasonable development time.

And we have no way of telling if it did without Digital sales.

All events and every time trial in GTS have a leaderboard where you can filter top 10 and friends, but it does not give you a global placement and you can't see total players.

But none of the campaign events are forced and no content is gated behind completion of any of the campaign events.

So, theoretically one could switch to another account on the console, do the very first event/license-test/whatever that most people who bought the game are very very likely to do, then park their car or drive uuultra slow so they get to the very bottom of the board to get some good idea how many people are playing? Or does it not even show the number next to your own time on the board?

Emwitus

Is there really any reason to believe that the game sold enough digital copies to account for the ~170-180K difference between GT5 and GTS?

Like i said, unless you have concrete proof about digital sales, there isn't any reason to believe it did or it didn't

As has been said, GT5 was not available digitally at any time during launch.

Is there really any reason to believe that the game sold enough digital copies to account for the ~170-180K difference between GT5 and GTS?

Maybe not the whole amount, but for an online focused, online racing, online required for pretty much everything title, I expect a LOT of people bought it.... online.

I did.

n=at least 1

bombshell

Well, i stand corrected. So these sales results comparisons are way off base

My post wasn't really to correct anything you said, it was just in continuation to the post you quoted.

So, theoretically one could switch to another account on the console, do the very first event/license-test/whatever that most people who bought the game are very very likely to do, then park their car or drive uuultra slow so they get to the very bottom of the board to get some good idea how many people are playing? Or does it not even show the number next to your own time on the board?

I already gave you the answer right there in the quoted post.

border

Like i said, unless you have concrete proof about digital sales, there isn't any reason to believe it did or it didn't

To make up the difference you'd have have to believe that digital sales accounted for ~2/3 of all GTS copies. I don't think a retail:digital ratio like that has ever been achieved in the UK or otherwise, for a AAA release. The likelihood of that seems really low.

Unless you have concrete proof, you don't have any reason to believe that GTS didn't sell 5 million copies on the first day in Britain......but reasonably speaking it probably didn't.

Top Bottom