• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

Oddish1

Sadly this means less money for an already struggling Capcom to make DmC5. The best we can hope for now is for.. actually there's no hope :(

I'm surprised MS/Sony/Nintendo hasn't approached them with a serious investment for another "Capcom Five" to try and help them along in exchange for some nice timed exclusives. Capcom is sat on some incredible IP.

Yeah, because partial or timed exclusives with Capcom tend to work out so well. Everyone knows the Capcom Five was a huge success for the GameCube.

Fbh

On top of the game looking less than stellar, at least the people I've spoken to still feel pretty burned about UMVC3.
I have 2 friends who are fans of the franchise and both will wait because last time they got the collectors edition only to see it become obsolete less than a year later with no way to upgrade in game.

I wonder if Capcom would have found more success making just one amazing fighting game this gen instead of 2 half assed ones.

entremet

So? That doesn't mean anything. See Destiny, Splatoon, etc., for example.

I think he's saying that's not a guaranteed success, especially when people predicted it bombing, just like Splatoon. I wouldn't compare Destiny at all here. That had a huge marketing budget. If it bombed it would've been a huge story.

Mugy

If Capcom wanted to do this game a MCU .vs Capcom, they could at least do it right. At this point i didn't even care, because gameplay alone convinced me to buy it, is that good.

But then, the weird decision about everything else striked again. As a gaffer pointed out, i, while wanting X-MEN characters and crazy ass adds like Asura or Leon S. Kennedy, i could have waited (i still can), for them being DLC, while the focus on the main Marvel roster could had been almost MCU. Hell, the game lacks:

Vision
Star-Lord
Black Phanter (DLC)
Black Widow (DLC)
Ant-Man
Loki

And Capcom highly requested characters like:

Asura
Gene
Captain Commando (dunno)
Monster Hunter (DLC)

Still, my point is that, Capcom and Marvel could have done so much better for MVCI. If they wanted to focus on MCU, they could have been done it right. If they wanted a mix-up of legacy and MCU, they had better choices. Roster its not the problem by itself, its how they handled it.

Graphics its another aspect, but i think my point its clear.

Scrawnton

It was full price everywhere outside of the US and doesn’t even include DLC. They did it to themselves.

Game itself runs fine for a portable too.
That and they waited until last minute to confirm the west was getting the free dlc update that Japan advertised for months leading up to its launch. There was a lot of confusion about that in the XV2 Switch thread to the point people were cancelling orders.

gtj1092

Game is fun but IDK what possessed them to go with that 1990s CG presentation.

Also looks like all games had horrible sales this week in the UK. You can qualify it how you want to spin the success of your game of choice but this was a bad week. The market needs an injection.

entremet

Marvel really didn't understand the importance of the legacy X-Men characters and Doom. You don't have Marvel without them. It's another SF3 debacle. A game that took two more iterations to finally fix and even then it did terribly commercially compared to its contemporaries.

dracula_x

I think he's saying that's not a guaranteed success, especially when people predicted it bombing, just like Splatoon. I wouldn't compare Destiny at all here. That had a huge marketing budget. If it bombed it would've been a huge story.

and why Arms is so special here? I mean, any new IP is not a guaranteed success.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Capcom, quick, crap out some more Switch ports. It's your only choice now.
Too late for that... They will have to compete with everyone else and the Nintendo portfolio next year. If they had been smart they could have sold a ton of copies of the Mega Man Collection, RE4 and co. during the launch months.

Marvel really didn't understand the importance of the legacy X-Men characters and Doom. You don't have Marvel without them. It's another SF3 debacle. A game that took two more iterations to finally fix and even then it did terribly commercially compared to its contemporaries.

Marvel clearly doesn't care about the legacy of these games. Look how the classic themes for characters like Spiderman and Captain America were replaced with boring movie score trash.

They saw it as a cheap advertisement for the MCU and nothing more.

That 250k figure is for all games sold that week?

Isn't that criminally low considering it's week 2 of Destiny plus a bunch of new releases?

I wonder if any title out of the top 3 even got past 10k sales this week.

DR2K

Banned
Too late for that... They will have to compete with everyone else and the Nintendo portfolio next year. If they had been smart they could have sold a ton of copies of the Mega Man Collection, RE4 and co. during the launch months.

I’ve seen Switchs portfolio, there’s never going to be a point where there will be an over saturation of quality games being released on it all at once

I’ve seen Switchs portfolio, there’s never going to be a point where there will be an over saturation of quality games being released on it all at once

That's probably why they mean next year when switch projects will possibly be going into full force.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Considering the development budget and non existant marketing or post release support I wonder if USF2 is Capcoms most profitable fighter this gen in relation to its Budget... lol.

Quality games? Thought we were still talking about Capcom "tests" they would bring to Switch. All kidding aside.

Obv. good games will always be able to sell... But the honeymoon period where pretty much everything sold well doesn't last forever. Especially if you mess up things with parts of the vocal fanbase. No MHXX in the west, no Okami.... I'll pick up the Revelations pack and the games look good but now it'll be up against games like like Doom and LA Noire... They just missed the boat to make some quick bucks early on.

Companies like SE can afford to wait out or skip the early months of new consoles but for a company like Capcom that is struggling it could have helped quite a bit when it comes to financials.

dracula_x

Fighting game?

So, Injustice 1 is not a fighting game then?

And he didn't mention genre at all + it doesn't matter here:

Even? SFV has been out for ages on PS4/PC and had a bunch of (bomba) sales. ARMS is the new unproven IP on a console with a very small userbase.

Just shows how well ARMS or bad SFV did all things considered.

But anyway, one thing is clear now - Arms is not very successful at the moment.

Surfside

Banned
Damn another miss for Capcom. I see many that played it say it's very good. But that was the same for SF5.
Getting people too buy it first that's their problem.
They don't seem get the benefit of the doubt anymore.
I think it's mostly a problem with the presentation
of these games. Yes they lack content at launch but so did many other games this gen. I feel like if your game has a problems in the graphics department (some bad animations for example) it will get teared apart online. So you have a negative news cycle from the beginning. And people are much more connected today so it will have an effect on sales. They really need to invest way more in their fighters going forward and create more positive buzz which amazing graphics would provide.

I kinda considered that to fall under production values, but yeah, absolutely. The story mode and other single player content which are actually well done (unlike in MvCI) are probably the biggest reasons for why NRS fighting games sell as much as they do. Because god knows it aint the gameplay

One of my biggest issues with MvCI's story is that it starts literally 80 days into this meaning you miss so much that is the point of a crossover.

It feels like such a small chunk of story compared to even Injustice 1.

Jawmuncher

One of my biggest issues with MvCI's story is that it starts literally 80 days into this meaning you miss so much that is the point of a crossover.

It feels like such a small chunk of story compared to even Injustice 1.

Agreed. Especially when a story about the merging would’ve been 10x more interesting.

MvsC3 is one of my favorite games of all time and i haven't even considered getting MvsC:I until it drops to somewhere around 20$.
For a sequel that came 6 years later it's unbeliavable how inferior it looks to it's predecessor. Not surprised at all that it's bombed hard.

Lol, mvci is amazing. Sorry but that's hard to believe

Usobuko

Banned
It's a relief that Monster Hunter World at least looks good and competent.

I kinda considered that to fall under production values, but yeah, absolutely. The story mode and other single player content which are actually well done (unlike in MvCI) are probably the biggest reasons for why NRS fighting games sell as much as they do. Because god knows it aint the gameplay

It's gameplay and aesthetics , the kind of gameplay and aesthetics Westerners adored.

Think Assassin Creed / God of War against its Japanese counterparts.

Xater

Rehashing 90% of last games roster is the bigger issue to me. That goes especially for Caocoms side. I have no fucking idea why Spencer us in this game. Was a neat addition when Bionic Commando regained some relevance but could now have been replaced with something new and interesting.

JaynePea

Rehashing 90% of last games roster is the bigger issue to me. That goes especially for Caocoms side. I have no fucking idea why Spencer us in this game. Was a neat addition when Bionic Commando regained some relevance but could now have been replaced with something new and interesting.

It wasn't even the original look, to placate retro fans. Capcom doesn't seem to know what they're doing

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Expected MvCI to bomb like this. Roster, presentation, and story were trash. I really just don't see the point in buying the game day-1 when they will be releasing DLC characters for the next 2 years probably. If I pick the game up, it will be when they give me a complete edition for $60 instead of this bare-bones early edition. Shame, because as a spectator, the tournaments so far have been amazing to watch. They nailed the gameplay and fucked everything else up.

I don't see it reaching Capcom's FY estimate of 2 million any time soon. They better hope MHW does great, and I won't be able to contribute to the front-end sales of that either since they aren't releasing PC with the other versions.

PantsuJo

Man, I remember the age of Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, Capcom vs SNK...

My childhood is only a phantom of the past.

What you have done to yourself, Capcom?

Top Bottom